Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like someone ordered a Crosby, Stills & Nash song from Wish dot com

Also the two genders being 'men and mothers' comes off as more of his bullshit world where men should be gentle caring dreamers and women should be in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Hihohe posted:

Am i still allowed to tell leunig to gently caress off if i didnt read his poo poo?

If you have read even a single one of his "poems", then you have effectively read all of them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hihohe posted:

Am i still allowed to tell leunig to gently caress off if i didnt read his poo poo?
I do it all the time.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

i just love when cartoonists use literal children as their mouthpieces.

Gary McCoy does this all the time, and I hate it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Angepain posted:

people are loving dying
fribble dee fribble dee dee
mass murder and genocide
doop dee doop dee doop
oh look there's a flower

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

JamesBont posted:

The worst one was probably when he drew a little boy who went out of his way to mention he'd been raped by a man before.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

The Islamic Shock posted:

The worst one was probably when he drew a little boy who went out of his way to mention he'd been raped by a man before.

...are you serious?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Angepain posted:

people are loving dying
fribble dee fribble dee dee
mass murder and genocide
doop dee doop dee doop
oh look there's a flower

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

There once was an Aussie cartoonist
Who in his youth was a sick opportunist
While his parents worked for food
He made his sister pose nude
And we hope that he goes away soonest

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Jack Ohman

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

"There are a lot of good boys and girls there who deserve presents."

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Carlos Latuff

No better way to say "I'm definitely not antisemitic" than to draw a Jew as a shadowy figure manipulating the government from the darkness.

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

Amjad Rasmi

Drew Sheneman

Drew Sheneman posted:

It’s hard to measure the accomplishments of former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. Seriously, how do you measure nothing? I’m genuinely asking.

Adam Zyglis

David Horsey

David loving Horsey posted:

In my Seattle voting precinct, there were exactly zero votes cast for former President Donald Trump in the 2020 election. There would have been two votes for the guy in the White House if a pair of my casual friends just over the hill had not moved to Montana a year before because they were weary of living in political isolation.

In that feeling, the conservative couple are not unique among folks who lean to the right in this city and this state. My colleague, Danny Westneat, recently took a look at Idaho migration statistics and found Republicans far outnumber Democrats among recent transplants from Washington. This imbalance is so dramatic that it is hard to explain any other way than to acknowledge politics as a driver behind hundreds of relocations. In fact, Westneat found there are real estate firms in Idaho that specifically market to conservatives, urging them to escape Washington’s liberal “hell hole” and move to a place that celebrates God, guns and small government.

This phenomenon is not unique to Washington and Idaho. All over the country, there are people pulling up stakes and getting out of Dodge because they do not like living in a place where their neighbors do not share their political views. And it is not just conservatives abandoning blue states — there is also evidence of liberals fleeing from red states to find more congenial, progressive communities.

This sorting has been going on at some level ever since our political life started to become so nasty, intolerant and polarized. It seems that, now, the physical separation is accelerating. Cities and nearby suburbs are increasingly liberal, while exurbs and small towns are more right-wing than ever. And Americans are forgetting how to talk to one another unless everyone in the room — or the neighborhood or the college campus — sees things exactly the same way.

There used to be an old, conservative gentleman who lived just around the block from me. He would drive by my house now and then in his big pickup truck and, if I happened to be outside, he would harangue me about my political cartoons. The man had a sense of humor about it, though, and, when I did not respond with anger, but with a laugh and a smile, we always parted amicably. We were not exactly friends, but we got along, and we were certainly not enemies.

The old guy died a couple of years ago and I kind of miss him — just like I miss the days when American politics was a debate among friends, not Armageddon.

Ward Sutton

Kellies Nomination: John Wayne Gacy Memorial "Worst Party" Award

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

David Horsey posted:

"just like I miss the days when American politics was a debate among friends, not Armageddon."
American politics have always been life or death, you've just never had to be the one in danger.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RoboRodent posted:

I skimmed the rant because I didn't know who this was, and this jumped out at me:

How are these two ideas related, Ben? Did you mean to sound like missing fingers are inherently related to his lack of Montana Values, or is this just how badly your writing is organised? Why bring up the missing fingers at all? What a weird non sequitur.

Also, of course the politician is a multimillionaire, which is bad when it's true about people I don't like, but they usually are because that's who has the money to run big budget campaigns. That's the system. That's how the system works.
Montanans make bombs

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

...are you serious?

Unfortunately yes, they are. Pretty sure the cartoon in question came out earlier this year, it's definitely in this thread somewhere.

JamesBont posted:

Ramirez too, usually as a fig leaf to say something really racist about why black people deserve to be murdered by cops.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

There once was an Aussie cartoonist
Who in his youth was a sick opportunist
While his parents worked for food
He made his sister pose nude
And we hope that he goes away soonest
Kellies nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Kellies nomination: Most Incomprehensible

idonotlikepeas posted:

Carlos Latuff

No better way to say "I'm definitely not antisemitic" than to draw a Jew as a shadowy figure manipulating the government from the darkness.

Kellies nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Anti-semitism)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I see we’ve gotten to the point of hating Latuff so much that posters will deliberately misinterpret his comic and use the same “criticizing Israel is antisemitism” argument that Zionists love

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

I see we’ve gotten to the point of hating Latuff so much that posters will deliberately misinterpret his comic and use the same “criticizing Israel is antisemitism” argument that Zionists love

Yeah this is pretty absurd. The only way to interpret that as antisemitic is if you believe that Israel represents all Jews, which is itself an antisemitic trope.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
which to be fair a LOT of people, and most political cartoonists, do

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the giant shadowy figure with the star of david on his shirt is prompting a lot of questions already answered by aforementioned giant shadowy figure

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

yeah I'm not sure what the giant shadowy figure adds except a frisson of antisemitism.

Could've just put Netanyahu so its Israel. Or labeled it 'ADL' if Latoff wanted to be specific. But a rando puppetmaster with a star of david is just 'jews in control'.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's the flag of Israel, it has the blue bars.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

Unfortunately yes, they are. Pretty sure the cartoon in question came out earlier this year, it's definitely in this thread somewhere.

Ramirez too, usually as a fig leaf to say something really racist about why black people deserve to be murdered by cops.

I'm pretty sure one of them won Overall Worst politoon one year.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm pretty sure one of them won Overall Worst politoon one year.

Yep, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

Worst Overall
Surprising absolutely no one, it’s…

Michael Ramirez, 4/15/2021

Yeesh. How many years will Ramirez snatch a win with this little girl gimmick?

This one also took Worst Gaslighting for that year.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

JamesBont posted:

...are you serious?

Yes. - :nms:, obviously. For context, this cartoon was him running with the "Actually, one of the guys Rittenhouse summarily executed was a sex offender who targeted children, so he was not only totally justified, he should be given the presidential medal of honor."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Yes. - :nms:, obviously. For context, this cartoon was him running with the "Actually, one of the guys Rittenhouse summarily executed was a sex offender who targeted children, so he was not only totally justified, he should be given the presidential medal of honor."
Something that you could not force a conservative to acknowledge at gunpoint during the Rittenhouse thing: if you shoot blindly into a crowd and the guy you hit turns out to be a criminal, that doesn't absolve you. Rittenhouse didn't magically know that guy's criminal history when he attacked, and even if he did, you don't just get to... murder criminals.
And the guy had already served his sentence, right? Like, he'd been found guilty, gone to prison, gotten out, and it's still like "yeah but he should be murdered anyway", which is pretty part for the course with conservatives but still, to admit to it like that.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Vib Rib posted:

Something that you could not force a conservative to acknowledge at gunpoint during the Rittenhouse thing: if you shoot blindly into a crowd and the guy you hit turns out to be a criminal, that doesn't absolve you.
There's a reason my political cartoons folder is named crackaknockoutmaroosevelts

Day by Day weekly plot where a guy randomly knocks a black guy the gently caress out with plywood but it turns out he was a criminal anyway so it's okay

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ungulateman posted:

the giant shadowy figure with the star of david on his shirt is prompting a lot of questions already answered by aforementioned giant shadowy figure

That appears to be an Israeli flag.

They're the ones who put the Star of David on their flag, it's pretty ridiculous to put a religious symbol on a flag and then accuse people of being religious bigots for depicting it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

nonsense this is an election year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah sorry I'm not seeing that Latuff comic as anti-semitic. That's very clearly the Israeli flag, and Israel and its allies basically have been pushing propaganda that anti-zionism = anti-semitism.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aztec Galactus posted:

Stantis almost had a revelation, so now we're gonna get like 10 entirely blank panels as we move on to the next topic
And here's the first one!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

fuuuuuuck yoooooou

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PC is the LaCroix of politoons. TV static has stronger messaging.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well at least we're back to vapid nonsense after a week of genocidal and ethnonationalist rhetoric.

:sigh:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

lol at all the people in this thread insisting that there's a subtle but important distinction between "the shadowy secretive evil Jewish govenment of the Jewish state is the one really directing American foreign policy" vs. "the shadowy secretive evil Jewish global cabal is the one really directing American foreign policy"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

lol at all the people in this thread insisting that there's a subtle but important distinction between "the shadowy secretive evil Jewish govenment of the Jewish state is the one really directing American foreign policy" vs. "the shadowy secretive evil Jewish global cabal is the one really directing American foreign policy"

It is a very important distinction.

To put it in a way liberals can understand: it's the difference between saying the shadowy evil Russian government of the Russian State is trying to influence our elections and saying Russians are a shadowy evil cabal trying to influence our elections.

One thing is racist and absurd, the other one isn't.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jen Sorensen

Lalo Alcaraz

Mike Lukovich

Keith Knight

Brian McFadden

Nick Anderson

Ruben Bolling

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Brian McFadden

Disappointed he didn't go for Gold Bullion Boullion on the top right.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Technowolf posted:

Keith Knight

Kellies Nomination: Worst Obituary

Just seems kind of like a tepid attempt at a burn.
:effort:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Titanic struggles of the Tories’ migration strategy – No 10 says that Suella Braverman signed off on the extra £100m payments to Rwanda"

Telegraph:

UK gives Rwanda another £100m before any asylum seekers sent there

Matt:

Independent:

After Richard Tennant Cooper.

The i paper:

2023 Person of the Year - Taylor Swift

Times:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

It is a very important distinction.

To put it in a way liberals can understand: it's the difference between saying the shadowy evil Russian government of the Russian State is trying to influence our elections and saying Russians are a shadowy evil cabal trying to influence our elections.

One thing is racist and absurd, the other one isn't.

If there had been hundeds of years of racists saying "you can't trust Russians, they're only loyal to the Russian government, they have a secret shadow network they use to control things due to the International Russian Conspiracy" where Russians are often depicted as shadowy, behind-the-scenes puppetmasters controling governments, maybe your analogy would stand, but you're kicking away a lot of historical context to try and say "Latuff isn't being problematic here".

Here's another analogy: if Latuff was complaining about Biden supporting Ireland in negotiations with Britain over Brexit, and used this same cartoon but had the Pope as the shadowy figure with little Vatican flags around him, would you be arguing that it wasn't an anti-Catholic cartoon because clearly it was about the influence of Vatican City as a soverign state?

Edit:
Follow-on question: taking your statement at face value, and assuming that Latuff meant "the state of Israel disassociated from and separate from the idea of Jewish people", why include it as a shadowy, veiled figure directing the actions of the United States? If it's about Israel dictating the US' actions, why do they have to be shadowy and veiled behind-the-scenes puppet masters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Nobody's saying Israel's influence on American policy is shadowy or secretive.