Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Some of the Beast World books are out and it's pretty par for a typical DC event. The Tour: Metropolis book has three different stories set after #1, #2 and #3 of Beast World and only #1 is out right now so spoilers on one of the plot points for this event. The other book, Waller Rising is sorta parallel to the event I guess and probably why the pacing is trash. The art isn't great either. The only redeeming feature is that it's a book that's focused specifically on Black characters and the nominal promise of a new group of Black heroes (including the return of the not-Luke Fox Batwing).

BoP still good. Same with Poison Ivy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, I did not have Batwoman and Fox Jr taking up Jakita and Elijah's mantle on my DC bingo card but hey, here we are I guess.

I've been out of the DC loop for about 3 or 4 years now, but what's this about? Sound very cool.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've kinda fallen off of Waid's World's Finest at this point 'cuz like...look, I know we haven't technically had a ton of Kingdom Come oversaturation over the past couple years, but it still feels like we've had a ton of Kingdom Come oversaturation. Really, I think Kingdom Come has gotten to the point where any amount of Kingdom Come is Kingdom Come oversaturation. :sweatdrop:

...but Waid's Shazam is still so. loving good.

Catching up on Birds of Prey...the last time I remember seeing Sin was pre-N52 when she was still a preteen. Did we ever catch up with her before now, or did this particular plot really just start off fully in media res, "shh she's been on Themyscira for years and also she's 16 now, don't worry about it"?

(Edit two loving days later: SOMEHOW my rear end forgot that Waid is the guy actually wrote Kingdom Come??? I dunno if that makes this better or worse lmao)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 8, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did like Dinah's plan for Wonder Woman was asking her husband to keep her busy for the, like, 5 minutes Ollie could reasonably manage to.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Big Barda and Wonder Woman just smacking the poo poo out of each other is exactly why I read comics.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darth Nat posted:

Big Barda and Wonder Woman just smacking the poo poo out of each other is exactly why I read comics.

Might I recommend the manga about ladies doing MMA, Teppu?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Might I recommend the manga about ladies doing MMA, Teppu?

I was gonna say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaI9ixCmp8

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I have watched Dorohedoro, but remembering it causes me pain since I'm guessing we'll never get more.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darth Nat posted:

I have watched Dorohedoro, but remembering it causes me pain since I'm guessing we'll never get more.

You can always just read the rest of the series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

You can always just read the rest of the series

and then start Dai Dark, which also has an excellent really big babe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I tried getting caught up on current DC books but just got bored.

Now I'm just going back and reading classic runs and stories I haven't gotten to yet and it's eay more enjoyable.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I tried getting caught up on current DC books but just got bored.

Now I'm just going back and reading classic runs and stories I haven't gotten to yet and it's eay more enjoyable.

What current books did you read? I know a bunch of them were very blessed, but the JSA books and SHAZAM are both good and I'm excited for those.

What classic runs are you reading?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I gave Superman and Batman a shot and bounced off when I ran into big crossover events that I didn't want to put the effort into reading. There's some other stuff I still want to try still though like Titans and Shazam.

I'm reading Morrison's JLA.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Reading Morrison's JLA is always a good choice.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Can't go wrong with Nightwing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Flash has been good for a while. Poison Ivy has been good as well.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
If you want to read Superman and Batman but don't want to get bogged down in multiple titles, give World's Finest a go. It's set in the past so is it's own thing and is excellent!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vincent posted:

I've been out of the DC loop for about 3 or 4 years now, but what's this about? Sound very cool.

It's exactly as it sounds, Fox and Kate and an odd woman called...The Drummer going around investigating mysteries in the DCU. They found a shift ship (maybe *the* shift ship) with a bunch of pickled century babies on board, and a Planetary guide.

I'm a total mark for Kate and for Planetary so either I'm gonna love it or demand the heads of all involved.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Everyone sleeping on Green Lantern War Journal.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Does DC have any overly cute comics suitable for younger folks? Marvel has things like 'Alligator Loki' and 'It's Jeff' in their Infinity lines, and a while back there was the 'Tiny Titans', which my nephews are enjoying since they're hooked on Teen Titans GO!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Li'l Gotham" and "Batman Tales: Once Upon a Crime" are both all-ages fun.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Does DC have any overly cute comics suitable for younger folks? Marvel has things like 'Alligator Loki' and 'It's Jeff' in their Infinity lines, and a while back there was the 'Tiny Titans', which my nephews are enjoying since they're hooked on Teen Titans GO!

https://www.webtoons.com/en/slice-of-life/batman-wayne-family-adventures/list?title_no=3180 Wayne Family Adventures is pretty cute.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Forgot about Speed Force. It's honestly not bad. I'm definitely too old to know if how the characters talk is how teenagers actually talk or if it's just a bad impression by an adult of how kids talk, but it's definitely there. The villains teaming up in it is honestly kind of inspired given the particular focus on social media (though it's really a not-Spotify app).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
outsiders is trying really hard to be planetary but i don't think it is working.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I was catching up with my DC books in their app this weekend, and Knight Terrors has such bizarre timing. The last issue of Joker was held back 2 months, and all the new books had to dive into an event on like issue 2 or 3 of their series right out of the gate. Those issues would have been fine as annuals or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Peter David 's Young Justice run any good

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Lucifunk posted:

I was catching up with my DC books in their app this weekend, and Knight Terrors has such bizarre timing. The last issue of Joker was held back 2 months, and all the new books had to dive into an event on like issue 2 or 3 of their series right out of the gate. Those issues would have been fine as annuals or something.

It made no sense to me that they did this hugely disruptive event in the middle of the launch of Dawn of DC. Also why they did a spooky event in the middle of summer and not, like, Halloween.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of my favourite series ever. It's just fun from start to finish with every character getting time to shine. I can't recommend it enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh, yeah. We don't really get runs like that anymore, same writer and same artist and given years to just do their own thing with minimal crossovers. It's got a few Peter David-isms where he thinks some puns are way more clever than they actually are but if you've read like any PADGuy comic ever you're used to it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Another yes vote. YJ is what brought me back to comics.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I will forever cherish YJ for giving us Mr. Doug Side.

It's kind of weird that they've never tried to bring back Secret (to my knowledge at least).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

outsiders is trying really hard to be planetary but i don't think it is working.

Honestly that's kind of my reaction to Kelly and Lanzing as writers generally. They try really hard but it always feels like the pieces, while all fine individually, never really fit.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I read the first issue of Outsiders last night on DCU. I liked it more than I expected to. Personally I've liked Kelly & Lanzig from what I've read of theirs.

Nitewing is still my favorite solo character book currently. The art is so good in it. Combined with Taylor's lightheartedness in the book it's fantastic.

Other than Flash and Fire & Ice are there any other books from DC that have those lighter vibes I should be checking out?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lucifunk posted:

I read the first issue of Outsiders last night on DCU. I liked it more than I expected to. Personally I've liked Kelly & Lanzig from what I've read of theirs.

Nitewing is still my favorite solo character book currently. The art is so good in it. Combined with Taylor's lightheartedness in the book it's fantastic.

Other than Flash and Fire & Ice are there any other books from DC that have those lighter vibes I should be checking out?

Shazam!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lucifunk posted:

Birds of Prey has been ridiculously good. And Titans makes a good companion piece to Nightwing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Birds of Prey has been ridiculously good. And Titans makes a good companion piece to Nightwing.

Oh yeah Birds of Prey is great.

Titans is good, but it's also gone almost immediately into a crossover so I didn't want to recommend it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The crossover has actually been pretty good so it's not a big drawback or anything. Titans is more standard superheroics than the irreverent fun of Nightwing, but it's still more of Tom Taylor which is generally a solid bet.

In terms of irreverent fun though, Jeremy Adams has been the preeminent standout writer to watch for a while now. His Flash series, which starts on issue #763 and ended fairly recently, might be my favorite run on the character ever. His current Green Lantern series has also been knocking it straight out of the park with every issue, especially with Xermanico on art.

Really, it's hard to go wrong with any corner of DC Comics right now, which feels insane to say considering just how hosed WB has been as an overall corporation. Of course this all might change at any point in the near or distant future...but for now, you can pick up just about any book from any character and find something good.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them all out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would say as big Chip Zdarsky fan that his Batman run has not been good. So maybe stay clear of that. Which is kinda insane because he just finished a fantastic run on Daredevil so I figured he'd be a slam dunk for Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Batman & Robin is the only actual Batman title I'm reading right now. I also fell off Catwoman due to the Gotham War thing, but basically everything else has been at worst solid. Like, I'm not loving Fire & Ice or Power Girl, but they're not unreadable, just not quite hitting what I want out of them. Shazam (as well as both World's Finest titles), both Green Lantern books, Green Arrow, most of the Superman family stuff, Cyborg, Nightwing, BoP, Titans all are stuff I'm looking forward to each month. And the JSA and Titans solo-focus miniseries have been good too (I really enjoyed the Starfire issue of the Titans one, really nailed the character from the comics, as opposed to the tendency to write Kory as the cartoon version). Even King's Wonder Woman isn't a trainwreck.

(Bear in mind I'm reading a month behind on DCI)