Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Osmosisch posted:

I had several before the 1.0 patch but now I couldn't even find them in the workshop menu any more, no clue what's up with that. I thought they were removed or something.

Gadgets have their own little hut connected to the class selection one. As I understand it pre-1.0 gadgets were something you had to carefully consider because you could only take so many at once but now you can have ALL of them active at the same time.

Osmosisch posted:

Regarding your point about affixes being more important than weapon level, makes sense, Gunfire's the same. But I ran into few enough options to upgrade that it felt bad to hang on to the lower level gun.

That does lead me to another complaint which is that the information about affixes is not informative at all. "Chance to fire a shotgun blast" tells me exactly nothing. What chance? What damage?

Bolded is probably down to workshop upgrades. The gun chef isn't guaranteed to appear in every safe zone, even with everything unlocked, but you'll see him at least once every level and usually twice on average. I've rarely if ever been in a position where I needed to top up a gun's level by more than 1-2. And it's a lot like Gunfire where trying to use a level 1 gun at endgame is a bad idea, but being behind by a couple of levels isn't actually that big of a deal if the affixes and/or the rest of your build is good.

Anything that has a chance has the chance listed, afaik. But that said I do kinda agree that the deeper mechanics are a bit opaque. From what I've heard and from what little there is on the wiki, anything that comes out of a gun is running off the same scaling factors as normal shots. Alt-fires have their own bespoke base damage, but again that gets multiplied by weapon level same as anything else. Chance for buckshot definitely does *something* transformative and isn't just multiplying projectiles by 20 or w/e, but I can only guess that it's splitting the regular gun damage across X projectiles. The one thing I do know for sure is that the game has a streak breaker mechanic where every time you fail a proc roll it nudges the RNG in your favor. Which is probably why the Windmill Rifle is so broken.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mana builds are fun in Tiny Rogues :shobon:

https://i.imgur.com/N3YtUTS.mp4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh also If you're playing Roboquest on PC absolutely make sure vsync is turned off (pretty sure it defaults to on) because it makes the game run like garbage. With it turned on, everything felt like a slow, clumsy shitshow and as soon as I turned it off the game felt 30% easier because I wasn't trudging through mud anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

Roboquest really needs to make some gadgets part of the base story progression or something, at the very least the grapple hook and the jetpack.

It's great when movement upgrades which feel like intended parts of the core gameplay aren't given to you immediately!!!

I'm still completely and totally baffled why Doom Eternal forces you to play through an entire stage before getting the dash despite the dash being completely and utterly fundamental to the most basic foundations of the game's combat, meaning that the first impression the game gives you is that it's slow and stodgy and has way too many enemies for you to avoid while the actual reality of Doom Eternal combat is that you're a hyperspeed ballerina of death.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

roboquests biggest mistake is gating too much poo poo out of the gate. i love the game and have a great time with it, but it feels unduly punishing until you get a few repairbot bonus upgrades and can actually recover a decent amount of health instead of dying a slow death of 1000 cuts.

it plays and feels great but the metaprogression needs looking at. also the starter class is the worst class, losing a bunch of offensive power for fairly lovely defense options

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Invincibility being a lovely defensive option is news to me :shrug:

I had a hard time getting into the other classes after Guardian, they're fun when they work but without the giant panic button I always wind up eating poo poo sooner or later.

EDIT: then again I never got the grappling hook and only unlocked jetpack on my winning run, so maybe the added mobility will be more decisive when I eventually pick the game up again

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 6, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also the starter class is the worst class, losing a bunch of offensive power for fairly lovely defense options

The starter class is in a weird position because it absolutely sucks as a starter class. But once you've got everything unlocked and understand how it all fits together, Guardian is about as broken as any of the other classes, maybe lagging behind only slightly.

Also just logically speaking when attacks start being able to wipe out a third of your health in one hit, the value of being able to go invulnerable at will goes up dramatically.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

roboquests biggest mistake is gating too much poo poo out of the gate. i love the game and have a great time with it, but it feels unduly punishing until you get a few repairbot bonus upgrades and can actually recover a decent amount of health instead of dying a slow death of 1000 cuts.

it plays and feels great but the metaprogression needs looking at. also the starter class is the worst class, losing a bunch of offensive power for fairly lovely defense options

Yeah the Guardian sucks for beginners but it's absolutely top of the pack due to how powerful no-selling attacks on demand is.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i just cant think of any builds that guardian can do that wouldnt be better on the other classes

also i think his secondary ability is poopoo

def my least favorite, but engineer used to be my least favorite until i learned the beauty of element builds so maybe theres something im missing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mana builds are fun in Tiny Rogues :shobon:

I am patiently waiting until the no-beta release. Hell, the beta doesn't even have some of the announced features:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i just cant think of any builds that guardian can do that wouldnt be better on the other classes

def my least favorite, but engineer used to be my least favorite until i learned the beauty of element builds so maybe theres something im missing

The answer to both of these seems to be Tactical Slap + Linebreaker. You now have a medium range secondary attack that far surpasses the Commando's out of the box and still gives melee HP drops and also as long as you use it consistently you get functionally continuous +50% weapon damage and +25% shield recharge.

This takes 2 perks and you can throw in a 3rd to add +12% speed and +12% armor that again basically lasts all combat as long as you're slapping at every opportunity.

You can also go all in on the bubble if you want but I never really got into this personally.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 6, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I wouldn't say any of the builds are strictly Better than other classes, but Guardian ends up getting access to a lot of nice stuff comparable to the others. Like you've got a bunch of melee stuff that isn't nearly as explosive or kinetic as Recon, but fills a similar niche and I actually kinda prefer Tactical Slap's cooldown over Recon's kill streak mechanic. I wouldn't beeline to Guardian for elemental builds, but its got a bunch of solid elemental support. Tiny Punch isn't quite Mini Missiles but it does silly poo poo on rapid fire guns. And the various bubble buffs turn the shield into the same kind of busted omni-buff that several other classes get.

Also Guardian I think is the only class with the heavy weapons generic perk, which opens up a lot of potential within that class of weapons in particular.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Shooty so inspired, in part, under a certain aesthetic and fresh off a big update alongside a demo: GunDeck[100]

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2614790/GunDeck100/

quote:

GunDeck[100] is a twin-stick shooter where the aim of the game is to conquer 100 levels of bullet hell.

Amass a ring of guns and blow off fireworks of elemental crystals that come in your choice of corrosive acid, freezing ice, eagle-eye homing, replicating magic, and sledge-hammer blight.

After each wave, choose from three dealt cards to add to your growing deck. But choose wisely! These cards will grant you new weapons, power up your shots, earn you companions, curse your enemies— or even curse you! (For a fair trade, of course…) Build yourself a powerful gun deck, or regret it when you meet…

…the ten big bad bosses that stand between you and the eponymous level. Not only do you get your pick of extra special cards for defeating them, you’ll earn yourself new ships with built-in features that change the way you play entirely. (One Gun Run, anyone?)

Features:
- 100 wicked waves
- 10 bad bosses
- 10 unlockable alternate ship modes

PICK YOUR PERKS
Choosing from hundreds of cards makes every run a completely different experience.

FIGHT YOUR FOES
Dozens of unique enemies square off with you, each with their own vile volleys.

BEAT BOSSES
The big bads present you with quirky mechanics you’ll have to figure out on the fly for victory, and reward you with special perks.

EARN NEW SHIPS
Survive bosses to earn a whopping ten modes that change the gameplay. Make your runs easier, harder, or just plain weird.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i mostly use the commando in roboquest because i love the upgrade to the shorty that makes it into a railgun that resets its cooldown when you hit weakspots with it. you can upgrade it to mark and bounce between enemies and it's just super fun.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 7, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

i mostly use the commando in roboquest because i love the upgrade to the shorty that makes it into a railgun that resets its cooldown when you hit weakspots with it. you can upgrade it to mark and bounce between enemies and it's just super fun.

See, I like the upgrade that makes Shorty explosive because it dovetails with my "all explosions, all the time" preferred build. It's so loving funny when you've got the mini-boom upgrade, an explosive weapon with the secondary fragments mod, and the "gaining fury gives you mini-rockets" upgrade. You just point your gun at something and everything in that direction turns into a continuous hell of nonstop explosions

e: and then you get the upgrade that gives explosives auto-crit and things really start to get silly

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Shooty so inspired, in part, under a certain aesthetic and fresh off a big update alongside a demo: GunDeck[100]

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2614790/GunDeck100/

Me before playing it: Why cards, why a deck? What was wrong with "choose a powerup from one of 3 randomly-selected options"?
Me after playing it: Eh, just a way of making your runs suck by giving you bad powerups, also the fundamentals of the shooting isn't very fun, a far worse sin. Also the deck metaphor is a lie, it's just a list of powerups. Nothing really to recommend it except its gfx.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I like railgun shotty in theory but man does it feel bad when you miss the crit.

Of course against bosses it's very very silly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

Path of Achra

Peltast might be pretty good

I think peltast is the easiest class - the one I finished the path with has my highest "ascended" run so far of Dust 19.

Finally completed a reaver run after a lot of tries. Naturally the ghost after my "tinted" (this has to be a typo for tainted right?) axe appeared on the final screen.

Don't know what it is about this game but I have 30 hours played since Saturday (have been off work this week).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 7, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I think Achra uses tint in other skills/abilities/effects as well, something eldritch-y. The color not being green or something like that makes me think it's intentional. Does it do arcane damage?

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

an iksar marauder posted:

I think Achra uses tint in other skills/abilities/effects as well, something eldritch-y. The color not being green or something like that makes me think it's intentional. Does it do arcane damage?

they were just added as upgraded-stat items that have a chance to attract those rainbow-named elite enemies that were obliterating so many of my runs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

Good call - I only thought it might be a mistake because he's admittedly had a good number of typos he had to correct.

Smith Comma John posted:

they were just added as upgraded-stat items that have a chance to attract those rainbow-named elite enemies that were obliterating so many of my runs

Yeah it's so you can choose if the ghosts will appear - I couldn't pass up that axe so had to chance it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Long running Heroes of Loot semi-series has an updated demo for the latest tangential bit: Gauntlet of Power

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2374320/Heroes_Of__Loot_Gauntlet_Of_Power/

quote:

Heroes of Loot : Gauntlet of Power is a fast paced, randomly generated action RPG shooter with dungeon crawling and Rogue-like elements. As you hold the Gauntlet of Power you gain the ability to mount automated weapons in eight directions to protect and mow down the many dangers lurking in the dungeons. Descent into the dungeon finding mysteries, collecting loot, and unlocking a host of weapons for your Gauntlet of Power!

Since it's been a month (and a day) since the last demo update, and I've been working on the game every day, the list of new things, changes and improvements is extremely long, so let me highlight some of the more important things here:

New enemies added, like that happy Skully chap in the GIF above, but a few others will cross your path
New boss-fights, although they are on a "low" spawn in the current demo, you will probably encounter them every now and then
Weapon-tree/level up system - FINALLY got around to this, more on that below
Hit feedback for the player (most requested by demo players)

So let's dive into the weapon system, it was always the goal to make this more interesting then just mounting weapons in all directions! Just had to figure out what I wanted to do with it exactly.. and I couldn't decide on just one way, so there are now multiple ways to upgrade your upgrades.

So we have combo weapons, these require your main weapon to be at max level of 6, and then you can combine it with another weapon to turn it into a "combo weapon"

The other thing you can do is create a "union" of two weapons mounted next to each other on the Gauntlet of Power, and once they have the correct level, you can decide to union them into a new cool gadget like the Rune of Fire!

On top of all that there are modifiers that will modify any weapon at a specific level. Right now if you level up that weapon the modification will be gone! I might change this later.

I'm still play-testing the weapon system myself, but very open to feedback on these things as you encounter them (although it can be hard to experience all these upgrades during the duration of the demo)

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Been avoiding this thread for a while because I kept buying games and never found the time to play them. In a fit of AAAASOMANYNEWLIKELITES I ended up getting this fresh new thing called Jupiter Hell, just a tiny few years late. Still in the relatively clueless phase, and it's so, so good.

It's on sale for another 4 days, so definitely jump in if you're a slowpoke like me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Any roguelite FPS likers here play Deadlink? How is it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Megazver posted:

Any roguelite FPS likers here play Deadlink? How is it?

Somewhat similar to Doom Eternal in game flow, but I didn't connect with it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Dead Cells devs announced their upcoming isometric action roguelike with co-op, Windblown

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1911610/Windblown/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

gandlethorpe posted:

Dead Cells devs announced their upcoming isometric action roguelike with co-op, Windblown

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1911610/Windblown/

That already looks hella slick, if they have a good coherent vision (which DS lacked at first) I'm sure it's gonna turn out amazing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

That already looks hella polished, if they have a good coherent vision (which DS lacked at first) I'm sure it's gonna turn out amazing.

Yeah I was gonna say, Dead Cells saw some MAJOR overhauls to game systems during the EA period. Maybe with their experience they'll land on a vision a little earlier with this one.

That said Dead Cells was really fun even when it was rough, and I certainly don't regret playing it during EA. It wasn't a bad experience but it was a very turbulent one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cobalt Core is getting mods, though they're limited to a side channel in the developer's discord for now. New ships, new characters (including a fully carded version of Evil Riggs, who builds up rage to spawn the kerbroken missile swarm she fired off in the escape), and Cobalt Petrichor, a Risk of Rain-inspired mode with a ton of new minor artifacts that edges up the difficulty every 10 combat turns. No fun dialog text yet, but they seem to have just cracked how to do that too.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
ChillyRoom, one of the stranger dev outfits with a clear/eclectic niche or so trying to straddle the mobile and PC worlds, has a new PC project in the works with a demo for it: Shadow of the Depth

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2100150/Shadow_of_the_Depth/

quote:

Shadow of the Depth is a top-down action Roguelite game. Delve into a dungeon world of light and shadow to eradicate the monsters that ravage your home. Be prepared to step into the abyss before you!

Key Features
· Intense hack-and-slash action, seamlessly integrated with Rogue-like elements.

· Handcrafted dark artistic style, accompanied by vivid dynamic lighting effects.

· An immersive combat system that brings together various combos and skills, allowing you to experience genuine depth in battles.

· Multiple outstanding characters for you to choose from, each with unique abilities and characteristics.

· Summon companions to provide support during intense battles.

· Explore randomly generated dungeons full of challenges, comprising three grand chapters, each culminating in thrilling and tense boss battles.

· Gradually unlock talents, acquire and equip runes, and meticulously customize your character to reach the peak of their abilities.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, I bought Tiny Rogues. Cute game. Beat it first try :smuggo: I was carried hard by the "you can defy death three times per room, but can't wear armor" trait. That seems super good -- three free hits per room? Not that I'm complaining!

It took me half the run to figure out how to use the dice. I also spent most of the run using a knife I got in the second level, which I'd gotten enchanted and smithed to +4. Replaced it with Excalibur, which seemed better, but honestly it's kind of hard to tell. I don't think the damage numbers on item cards reflect your traits or stats, and they don't list raw DPS, so comparisons are fiddlier than I'd like. On that note, is there anything that indicates which stat is core to a given weapon type? Is it just melee=STR, ranged=DEX, magic=INT?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's a great game and I'm glad you got it but honestly SO much has changed on the beta branch (which is coming to full release later this month) that I would not worry too hard about how weapons scale with stats etc. because all of that will be completely up-ended very soon. And I'm not saying that to be a jerk, I've played the game a ton but literally don't remember how that works in the non-beta version because it's changed so much lol. But look forward to the game more than doubling in size very soon

edit: Although this may be in the version you're playing -- do weapons have visible stat scaling rankings when you look at them? Like a blue "A" and a green "C" means the weapon scales a lot from intelligence, and a medium amount from dexterity. It's similar to how weapon stat scaling works in Dark Souls if you've played that

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 9, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oooh, this looks my jam! Just bought it on Steam, thanks for the heads-up!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The beta for Tiny Rogues got a substantial performance-improvement patch earlier today, and now the game actually runs at 144 fps (or your preferred framerate). Dozens of bugs have been discovered and fixed, so now is actually a decent time to try the beta if you want to see it before the official release in a couple weeks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also, after seeing how vastly improved Tiny Rogues is with a massive injection of content and a decent amount of added complexity, I'm even more wildly ravenous for Rift Wizard 2 next month.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Question about post-Death content in Tiny Rogues:

After the boss fight, I try walking down a corridor with an eye-like thing following me. I choose not to give in, but then the ghost of Death shows up and ganks me instantly anyways. What gives? What do I need to continue down the whole hallway?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Question about post-Death content in Tiny Rogues:

After the boss fight, I try walking down a corridor with an eye-like thing following me. I choose not to give in, but then the ghost of Death shows up and ganks me instantly anyways. What gives? What do I need to continue down the whole hallway?

Your soul isn't strong enough, basically. You have to beat Death 4 more times, then postgame will open up. Once it's open, you can get to Floor 11 without needing anything special, but Floor 12 is gated behind being strongly morally/integrally aligned.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Your soul isn't strong enough, basically. You have to beat Death 4 more times, then postgame will open up. Once it's open, you can get to Floor 11 without needing anything special, but Floor 12 is gated behind being strongly morally/integrally aligned.

I feel like I still have to visit an ai generated fandom wiki after reading that

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

The beta for Tiny Rogues got a substantial performance-improvement patch earlier today, and now the game actually runs at 144 fps (or your preferred framerate). Dozens of bugs have been discovered and fixed, so now is actually a decent time to try the beta if you want to see it before the official release in a couple weeks.

I installed the Tiny Rogues beta recently, I'm having a great time with it. Getting hit a lot though so my bottleneck is hp/skill. That being said, the vastly increased amount of build options have been a lot of fun to play with. I've been giving dice a high priority as well as selecting them as my gift to make sure I hit some kind of synergy. Seems like the amount of dice you get from any dice related reward was increased as well.

Kinda bummed that I wasn't allowed past Death after pushing my aura radius to cover the entire screen, but I'm sure that'll happen again at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The strongest options in Tiny Rogues seem to be
1) Anything that gives you 100% Crushing Hit (either the Int talent that reduces equipment load to half but gives 100% crushing, or the dex talent that gives 100% crushing at close range + the other dex talent that makes every hit count as close range)
2) Going all-in on buffs that increase bonuses from mana and finding sources of +mana

or 3) Both :getin:
https://i.imgur.com/v5n6KNp.mp4