Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Google changed the color of Gmail notifications on android to grey and it blends into everything else now.

Also, yeah, is not being able to send screenshots in discord a feature or a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Also, yeah, is not being able to send screenshots in discord a feature or a bug?

I can do it on iOS so :shrug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rochallor posted:

Look how they massacred my fortune cookies.

This is a sign of the apocalypse.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

teen witch posted:

Discord and google chat updated within a 24 hour span on mobile and lord help me

SMS still working great for 25 years and counting

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Look how they massacred my fortune cookies.

Lol came to post this

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cerekk posted:

Lol what's next grampy, you gonna tell me you talk to your friends and family on the telephone, with your voice, like a literal caveman

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just use discord as a chatroom. 99.5% of the time on PC. I'm unaware of all of these features or why I need them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have never used discord on a phone and never will. This seems to be a good decision.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

MrQwerty posted:

I have never used discord on a phone and never will. This seems to be a good decision.

Every update hurts worse than the one before. Help me. Help.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just use discord as a chatroom. 99.5% of the time on PC. I'm unaware of all of these features or why I need them.

Like 90% of all software development since, I dunno, 2006 seems to be directed entirely at a tiny sliver of power users and even then it's like 50/50 on whether they appreciate it or are annoyed by it. Programs are using 1000x the resources for 1.17x the functionality.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I love the spiral that is

We need to hire UX designers to implement our vision.
Ok they are done.
Oh no they aren’t doing any work any more but we can’t fire them or theyll go work for competition
I know, let’s have them redesign the UX. But like totally different so we can say we did something new and inventive.
Everyone hates it, great success. Have them redesign
it again.

I work adjacent to this (managing developers) and we waste so much time constantly making this worse on purpose to fulfill designs vision.

But as my motto goes, “Gotta work on something!”

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cerekk posted:

Ah yes, SMS, the famously reliable and fully featured messaging service.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

~Coxy posted:

Ah yes, SMS, the famously reliable and fully featured messaging service.

Shhhh don’t let them know about typing indicators and read receipts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Typing indicators and read receipts are excellent examples of things that made things shittier for no reason :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

Like 90% of all software development since, I dunno, 2006 seems to be directed entirely at a tiny sliver of power users and even then it's like 50/50 on whether they appreciate it or are annoyed by it. Programs are using 1000x the resources for 1.17x the functionality.
My last partner was a developer and confirmed something I'd long-suspected: your job is dependent on a thing *never* being finished. So, you either keep trying to fix what isn't broken and ruin the app, website, or software, or you start adding poo poo that 99% of people will never use and hope your bosses still get excited about it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

bradzilla posted:

Lol came to post this

You came to post Rochallor's photo?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Peter Falk posted:

Oh man those features are totally worth ditching the universal protocol that every single person has and switching to four different walled gardens, each with max 20% of my contacts, and each controlled by a single for-profit entity that can completely change the garden at any moment.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

lol apparently the new discord also has 'tell my phone contacts about my discord account' turned on by default

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Killingyouguy! posted:

lol apparently the new discord also has 'tell my phone contacts about my discord account' turned on by default

every time I open Snapchat it shows first a "turn on notifications" thing and then a pre-selected 5 random mutual acquaintances it thinks I should add in a screen made to look like I intentionally tried to add them

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

brb streaming 90s fmv games to my landlord

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
Read receipts and typing indicators are dumb as poo poo why would I wan't someone to know I am ignoring them when I can just say sorry didn't see your text. Thats something I turned off before I even installed a single app on my samsung

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Navigating college websites feels like it's gotten shittier in the last decade or two. My guess is that they hiding a lot of once-open content behind university portals that require a login to access.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Denim Dude posted:

Read receipts and typing indicators are dumb as poo poo why would I wan't someone to know I am ignoring them when I can just say sorry didn't see your text. Thats something I turned off before I even installed a single app on my samsung

Yeah I now have to deal with my mom saying "but it says you read my text at 11:00 am" and I can't turn it off now because then she'll ask me why I turned it off. I mean, I guess I still could, but it's a new social pressure to deal with that wasn't there before. It's already annoying enough that we have to be available to everyone all the time due to texts and cellphones in general.

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

Am I just too dumb to find the button, or did YouTube suddenly remove the ability for channels to link to other, related channels? That was basically the only way I found new channels to watch outside of friends telling me about things.

It's probably there, somewhere.

I use Youtube on my TV, iPad and PC. The History page has different names on each platform (i.e. History, Library, and You).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LividLiquid posted:

My last partner was a developer and confirmed something I'd long-suspected: your job is dependent on a thing *never* being finished. So, you either keep trying to fix what isn't broken and ruin the app, website, or software, or you start adding poo poo that 99% of people will never use and hope your bosses still get excited about it.

It's not merely that something can't be finished, it's that the current status of "whatever" must be indefinitely prolonged. This just happens to include the artificially unfinished state of software as well, because unnecessary jobs, inflated stock prices, consumer hype, or whatever, depend on it.

Looking forward to music and movies as a service, paying a monthly subscription to my favorite album or multiverse as they're endlessly tinkered with until exhaustion.

good grief

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Moon Monster posted:

LividLiquid posted:

To add to this, if you stop adding features while you're revenue negative your product is instantly dead.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

To add to this, if you stop adding features while you're revenue negative your product is instantly dead.

Discord doesn't have ads, so there's no revenue to be gained for loving around with the ui so much

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

theflyingexecutive posted:

Discord doesn't have ads, so there's no revenue to be gained for loving around with the ui so much

Right, there is no money in running it either. The idea is you keep working on it until you hit a critical mass of people, and then sell it to a another company that will monetize it. But if you're not making money and you're not selling, you have to be working on it. If you don't do any of those 3 your company is over.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Am I just too dumb to find the button, or did YouTube suddenly remove the ability for channels to link to other, related channels? That was basically the only way I found new channels to watch outside of friends telling me about things.

oh i was wondering about that.

im still in the adblocking promised land, but yeah i lost that feature too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

apple hasn't entirely hosed up imessage yet, maybe because they can just treat it as a finished product

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Peter Falk posted:

Heck, having group chats and not turning images into postage stamps would be my go-tos.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Typing indicators and read receipts are good actually :colbert:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

If they worked they would be. Unfortunately this means none are good.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Killingyouguy! posted:

only when i can turn em both off

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If they worked they would be. Unfortunately this means none are good.

Idk what's wrong with your messaging apps. Mine are fine hth

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the amount of discord posts in this thread since the update makes me think you should all hit da bricks. gently caress a platform

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Latest Apple Watch update completely changed what the side button does, turning it from a super useful function to.... not much of anything? You bring up to control panel or whatever now, which you could easily do before by swiping up.

They got rid of "the dock", which you could customize with your favorite apps. Very useful, and now gone.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the amount of discord posts in this thread since the update makes me think you should all hit da bricks. gently caress a platform

If only it were that easy.

I dislike the privacy issues on Discord and it has issues, such as this new stupid update, but it's also where everyone is. The ease of making new servers is great. Voice chat is generally extremely solid and works well, and it allows me to send pictures to my PC without having to mess with fuckin' google drive or whatever.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Nettle Soup posted:

it allows me to send pictures to my PC without having to mess with fuckin' google drive or whatever.

This reminds me that Phone Link on windows has turned into unusable horseshit over the last year or so. It used to be, I don't know, fine and would at least let me send and receive texts and transfer files from my PC without having to touch my phone. Somewhat useful. Now they've changed it so you have to explicitly unlock your phone each time to respond to messages or access files and what the gently caress is even the point. If I have to pick up my phone to use the phone access app on my desktop, I'll just use the phone itself. Almost entirely useless now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This reminds me that Phone Link on windows has turned into unusable horseshit over the last year or so. It used to be, I don't know, fine and would at least let me send and receive texts and transfer files from my PC without having to touch my phone. Somewhat useful. Now they've changed it so you have to explicitly unlock your phone each time to respond to messages or access files and what the gently caress is even the point. If I have to pick up my phone to use the phone access app on my desktop, I'll just use the phone itself. Almost entirely useless now.
KDE Connect has a Windows version. I use it in Linux, so I can't speak to its quality on other platforms, but maybe give it a shot. It does the same stuff, more or less.