Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Vox Nihili posted:

Probably shoulda just spent the $5m for one more year. The team is surprisingly cash rich this year anyway.

This is the exact opposite for the Rams because they were not cash rich, so they could not re-sign Matt Gay. Not that Gay would have propelled the Rams to more wins, but different decisions could have been made on the filed with a more reliable kicker. They certainty wouldn't be looking at starting their third kicker this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Heard Geno Smith might be even more broken. Something about a knee injury during practice. Anyone know?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-brock-purdy-not-mvp-trent-williams-18540273.php

"Vote 49ers' Trent Williams for MVP or go to hell," by Drew Magary

as enthusiastically as I join the rest of this thread in supporting and advocating for The Run, I hope we can also rally around the cause of the dominant left tackle. This is tackle football, who is more football than a tackle, I ask you? Nobody, that's who. And Magary makes a compelling case that the niners are only winning when Trent Williams is there. Which is supported by the numbers. I think the tackles are obviously required in order to Establish the Run, too. Where else is the run best, than through a gap in the line forced open by the OL? Nowhere, that's where.

Totally forgot the 49ers got Trent for a song and dance. :lol: Dan Snyder

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Heard Geno Smith might be even more broken. Something about a knee injury during practice. Anyone know?

Groin strain. Limited in practice yesterday.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/geno-smith-questionable-for-week-14-vs-49ers

quote:

Seattle is listing Smith as questionable with a groin injury. Smith was added to the injury report on Thursday as a limited participant in the second practice of the week.

Running back Kenneth Walker (oblique), running back Zach Charbonnet (knee), linebacker Jordyn Brooks (ankle), defensive tackle Jarran Reed (hamstring), receiver Dee Eskridge (ribs), and cornerback Tre Brown (heel) are also questionable for the Week 14 contest against San Francisco.

Niners could probably start their backups and win.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Please don't hurt more of my sweet fragile Seahawks. There's only so many of the poor babies left :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Youtube randomly recommended the 2012 NFCCG to me. I watched bits and pieces and came away with a few thoughts:

I'd forgotten they fell behind 17-0 with no offense at all on the first few drives.
But then they came back and were in position to tie but missed a FG.
Then they fumbled at that 1/2 yard line.
But finally took the lead in the 4th and I remember holding ATL on 4th down.

The thing that really stood out to me was how annoying Harbaugh was. I am so glad he is gone. Shanahan might be a coward, but he isn't embarrassing on the sidelines.

E: oh yeah, and CK7 did not look like a good QB. As a fan, at the time, he did. But watching that vid, I was constantly amazed at his success. It must have been incredibly frustrating watching him as an opposing teams fan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In 2012, Kaep was playing his first starts. He started 7 games that year. He had earned the starting position due to his running ability and arm strength, but he was still very, very raw.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Helps they had people like Frank Gore and Patrick Willis.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yes indeed seven time pro bowler (five time first team all pro!) motherfucking patrick willis, one of the all time greats

is he in the HOF yet?

and vernon davis at his prime, and navarro bowman whose career was cut short by the perfidious seahawks, and aldon smith in his best season, and five time pro bowler justin smith
the WR core was vernon davis and delanie walker as pass catching TEs and then had michael crabtree... and then... kyle williams, mario manningham, and ted ginn jr.

oh poo poo and randy moss came out of retirement to play one year with the niners in 2012, I totally forgot about that

yeah that team had a lot of talent!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And then they barely used Moss. Was very annoying.

IIRC, there was a pass to him in the end zone in the SB that our own player broke up because they didn't realize it was for Moss.

Criminally misused, imo.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Mario Manningham :lol:

2012 was Delanie's coming out party I think too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I cannot bring myself to hate the Denver Broncos because they got Vernon his ring.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I can't bring myself to hate the Denver Broncos because they helped the Seahawks have their best win all of all time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I cannot bring myself to hate the Denver Broncos because they got Vernon his ring.

he deserved one
I wonder how much Kelce studied Vernon Davis.

I remember Vernon Davis going to the olympics to support the US curling team, that just made me love the guy
he's still involved, honorary captain of the mens & womens curling teams
https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/beijing-2022-winter-olympics/heres-how-former-49ers-star-vernon-davis-is-diversifying-curling/1173015/

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I love Vernon Davis because when he scored we could shout out We've got VD!!!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

trilljester posted:

I love Vernon Davis because when he scored we could shout out We've got VD!!!

gently caress yeah get that VD!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I got a lot of feel goods about how the Rams have been playing since the bye but I know that tomorrow the Ravens are going to torque them like 42-14 tomorrow and I will re-enter my football dark place.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

I got a lot of feel goods about how the Rams have been playing since the bye but I know that tomorrow the Ravens are going to torque them like 42-14 tomorrow and I will re-enter my football dark place.

I've entered my Football happy place of knowing the Seahawks never stood a chance this year. Devon Witherspoon suplexing a dude was aces though.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

yes indeed seven time pro bowler (five time first team all pro!) motherfucking patrick willis, one of the all time greats

is he in the HOF yet?

and vernon davis at his prime, and navarro bowman whose career was cut short by the perfidious seahawks, and aldon smith in his best season, and five time pro bowler justin smith
the WR core was vernon davis and delanie walker as pass catching TEs and then had michael crabtree... and then... kyle williams, mario manningham, and ted ginn jr.

oh poo poo and randy moss came out of retirement to play one year with the niners in 2012, I totally forgot about that

yeah that team had a lot of talent!

Gotta play longer than 5 seasons to get in the hall

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. Willis was the best LB in the league for like 5 years straight. His career was shortened by injury. He's a HOFer.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. Willis was the best LB in the league for like 5 years straight. His career was shortened by injury. He's a HOFer.

"Hall of 5 years of good play" maybe.

that's one 1st round rookie contract worth of play

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

EmbryoSteve posted:

Terrel Davis is in the HoF now. So this qualifies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EmbryoSteve posted:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SayeGa00.htm

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

Gotta play longer than 5 seasons to get in the hall

indeed

Patrick Willis played seven and a half

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Waltzing Along posted:

Youtube randomly recommended the 2012 NFCCG to me. I watched bits and pieces and came away with a few thoughts:
So I guess YouTube algorithm is showing people who watched an NFL highlight old football matches that people have taken off a VHS and use some fancy AI poo poo to stabilize/colorize the footage. Because yeah I got one...

It really is amazing seeing how much the NFL has changed, from the type of hits you can use to how badly the offenses are. The one they showed me was 49ers vs Rams from 1972. The 49ers QB is STEVE SPURRIER.

Obviously if you incentivize people to be able to throw an ovoid-shaped ball, people are only going to get better at it but watching some of the throws... they are literally missing swing passes with no one in their face. It's no wonder the running game was so viable, since no one could throw worth a drat in the 60s/70s.

But even the running game feels so different. Like they're handing it off without any kind of run up. The center hikes the ball to the quarterback (NO SHOTGUN OBV) who immediately hands it off to the running back because he's right behind the QB maybe 3 yards off.

Also everyone is in a 3-point stance, even the receivers. I know even as late as the 80s receivers did this but it's funny to see. They all also have butterfinger hands.. either that or just no stickum back then.

Then the kicking.. I know the whole soccer style kicking revolutionized the kicking game but watching the old school way of doing it.. which was for the kicker to line up maybe 2 yards directly behind the holder, take one step, and trying to kick a point after (and just completely whiffing) is pretty funny.

Nevermind the camera work, in probably the best deep pass I've watched so far, roman gabriel chucks a huge goose-eggy throw that you think is going to get intercepted because the camera is focusing on a 49er defensive back but no it's actually a deep go route he's trying to go for. The of course the announcer starts talking about how people think Jack Snow (the receiver who caught it) is too slow (lmao). (it's around 17:22 in the video below)

Meanwhile the coach of the Rams, Tommy Prothro, is just smoking like crazy on the sidelines. Anytime they cut to him there's a long skinny cigarette in his mouth. He would be fired after the season.

And the refs.. they're just letting people line up in the neutral zone.. maybe that wasn't a rule back then yet but some plays the defensive tackle's hand on the ground goes past where the football is and his helmet goes passed the helmet of the center. Another play the refs just miss a blatant offside call against a 49ers (they later call a similar one against the rams, so they just missed this one).

The game has changed.

Funniest play (time marker 14:58) (if you watch to 15:44, this is the play where the QB misses an easy swing pass)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ1FLwFdOs&t=897s

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think receivers weren't allowed to wear gloves until some time in the late 80s or early 90s, and they make a huge difference in catching rates. Especially when the ball is wet or cold or both.

Back in the 70s I don't think they had instant replay yet, either. Refs called what they saw, and that was that.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I wish they’d leave more commercials in from old games

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

Funniest play (time marker 14:58) (if you watch to 15:44, this is the play where the QB misses an easy swing pass)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ1FLwFdOs&t=897s

Thanks, this is hysterical. The backfield players not only colliding, but blowing each other up would be considered an all-timer today.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I miss the split back formation. Don't think anyone has run it regularly since at least the Bush years.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Seahawks elevated Sean Mannon to the active roster today, so good chance no Geno tomorrow. How many picks will Lock throw?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lifespan posted:

Seahawks elevated Sean Mannon to the active roster today, so good chance no Geno tomorrow. How many picks will Lock throw?

Zero, he'll go 0/0 with 56 rushing yards.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Leperflesh posted:

I think receivers weren't allowed to wear gloves until some time in the late 80s or early 90s, and they make a huge difference in catching rates. Especially when the ball is wet or cold or both.

Back in the 70s I don't think they had instant replay yet, either. Refs called what they saw, and that was that.

oh yeah for sure but this was a pretty obvious encroachment call or neutral zone infraction, if they had that. it's at around 20:39 in the video i linked. like i assume that maybe they just didn't call that back then but the rams get called for something similar later on.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Geno Smith a pregame workout call. This season has been just hellacious for untimely injuries.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He'll probably say he is fine, even if he isn't.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God loves you, and He doesn't want you to watch Drew Lock vs. the 49ers.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It was wise and strategic for Seattle to trade their second round pick for an above average rental defender.

Fire Pete fire John.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Lock gonna stunt and throw four TDs today. Unfortunately, they will all be to Niners defenders.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Sounds like Geno is out for a couple of weeks. Here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope Seattle loses today.
I hope Seattle winses next week.