Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

china please release

you approved napoleon give me big lizard boy, I don't want to watch a cam rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh whoa! He got some extra shows!
Go, go, Godzilla! Yeah!

Ticket sales show
Again and again
We just want to see
A lizard go HAM

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Monarch: still really bland as hell. 5 episodes in and I still can't bring myself to care about anyone.

I thought episodes 1 to 3 were okay but 4 and 5 have been slogs. The modern stuff is less interesting, especially with the focus on the three young and boring characters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What’s really interesting about the show (or, rather, the only thing interesting thing about the show) is that it’s got the same kind of zany Rube Goldberg plotting as Ebirah, Monster Of The Deep. It’s just glacially paced due to all the “Prestige TV” slop - a failure of the editing. Like, if Ebirah was a show with a full TV episode dedicated to the sinking of the fishing boat, another to the dance competition, another to the bank robbery….

I will say that Episode 4 approaches generic-monster-movie quality, with its basic metaphor that the cold represents the couple’s relationship problems (and with no flashbacks to the 1950s B-plot!). It’s as good as the series has gotten so far.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

china please release

you approved napoleon give me big lizard boy, I don't want to watch a cam rip

The thing that I find annoying (I mean it's not an actual problem but you know) is that Japan takes a LONG time to put out movies on disk after they are out of the cinema. Shin Kamen Rider came out in May in Japan (iirc) and I still have yet to find even a release date for Blu-Ray or UHD. I'm really hoping that Toho sees the writing on the wall and puts them out fur Minus One by early Springtime; I'm gonna import that UHD.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I can’t believe they dragged out the snow setting and kaiju for two entire episodes. The flashbacks to flesh out the offputting artist character didn’t help. All of these characters besides Kurt Russell are weirdly hostile

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I can’t believe they dragged out the snow setting and kaiju for two entire episodes. The flashbacks to flesh out the offputting artist character didn’t help. All of these characters besides Kurt Russell are weirdly hostile

It's also annoying that they have a character that is born and raised in Tokyo and has zero Japanese mannerisms and speaks English like he was raised in SoCal. I mean, yeah whatever, but couldn't they have even tried to get an actor from Japan?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Legendary seems to think that the key to a Godzilla story is having all of the characters be either terrible (sorry, “complicated”) or incredibly stupid people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You’d think that with the split timeline it would be easy to make the future characters just competent investigators who move the story forward by finding out what happened in the past and discovering the current fallout from past events. Kinda like in Singular Point the characters were smart science guys who moved the plot forward by figuring stuff out.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d hope that with the “unexpected” overseas success of Minus One, they would want to ride that wave and get subbed physical media out there as soon as possible.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for the feedback on Shin re: bad subtitles, I'll try to hunt down a better print bc it does sound like the human parts of the story would be good satire of bureaucracy (if I could read them).

That said, G-1 was absolutely amazing and probably ranks #2 for behind OG.

One thing that really got me as a woman (and I don't think this is a spoiler) is how all the men SCREAMED. Like not "ooooh!' or "aaaaAAAA!" but these high pitched "AEEEEEEE" screams that would usually be reserved for women. Those soldiers with their guns who had seen Some poo poo during the war were absolutely making GBS threads their pants and you could viscerally hear it. Lent a lot to the atmosphere of terror. Nice direction there!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One thing that really got me as a woman (and I don't think this is a spoiler) is how all the men SCREAMED. Like not "ooooh!' or "aaaaAAAA!" but these high pitched "AEEEEEEE" screams that would usually be reserved for women. Those soldiers with their guns who had seen Some poo poo during the war were absolutely making GBS threads their pants and you could viscerally hear it. Lent a lot to the atmosphere of terror. Nice direction there!

It really does sell how even these war-hardened Serious Men basically become terrified children in the face of this inexplicable thing beyond even the most terrible monsters of folklore or fable. It takes a long while before anyone can remain composed around what is essentially War and Fire given invincible flesh

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

If Godzilla showed up for real I can promise - as a huge man - I'd poo poo my pants so hard that movie audiences would all hear it. Even over my ear-splitting scream.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's also annoying that they have a character that is born and raised in Tokyo and has zero Japanese mannerisms and speaks English like he was raised in SoCal. I mean, yeah whatever, but couldn't they have even tried to get an actor from Japan?

Maybe it’s an homage to the Japanese “American” lady from Shin Godzilla

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Big Mac posted:

If Godzilla showed up for real I can promise - as a huge man - I'd poo poo my pants so hard that movie audiences would all hear it. Even over my ear-splitting scream.

This is why Shin works so well for me, I don’t know what it is about Anno but he figured out some angle for portraying large things in animation and live action where they just seem appropriately pants shittingly huge and unnatural.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Also, was it just me, or does my boy G do a whole lot more with his arms in this one? Usually he just walks through buildings (or his tail gets them), but there were quite a few scenes where he was actively punching them, tearing his arms in like "gently caress you building!" I'm guessing you didn't see that more in the early movies bc of the limitations of the suit (and also size difference between G and the skyscrapers of the time). But I was wriggling in my seat on some scenes where he digs in with both hands and does a Homer Simpson "stupid building! You go squish now!"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think you might be right. There was more than one scene where I thought Godzilla was going to straight up suplex a building.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe it’s an homage to the Japanese “American” lady from Shin Godzilla

Oh man. No shame on the actress, absolutely shame on the costume, hair, and makeup people who decided that the glamorous American government official should be done up exactly like a fancy Tokyo lady but with a bomber jacket on top

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Oh man. No shame on the actress, absolutely shame on the costume, hair, and makeup people who decided that the glamorous American government official should be done up exactly like a fancy Tokyo lady but with a bomber jacket on top

I'm going to be quite blunt about this: Anno is loving terrible at writing women beyond an otaku idea of what women are like.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Gripweed posted:

she's putting on a front because she's got japanese family background and is trying to lean on that to her advantage. they were capable of casting americans

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Shin Godzilla owns. Gonna watch that again today

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Shin Godzilla owns. Gonna watch that again today

It's goddamned good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm glad my reading on cate x may last episode (monarch) might not have been too far off the mark, but the show is starting to feel like it's dragging and there's till 5 more episodes

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Criterion Collection version of G54 has two interesting commentary tracks by the guy who wrote A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

Which is a great book. And those commentary tracks are also on YouTube, if anyone is interested.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Asterite34 posted:

It really does sell how even these war-hardened Serious Men basically become terrified children in the face of this inexplicable thing beyond even the most terrible monsters of folklore or fable. It takes a long while before anyone can remain composed around what is essentially War and Fire given invincible flesh

I liked that one scene between Shikishima and the Captain just before the minesweeper boat chase, with the latter going off about at least trying to defeat Godzilla or at least stall for enough time for the Destroyer to arrive. Then the other boat goes flying past them and the Captain immediately goes "WELP FORGET THIS WE ARE OUT"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Finally saw Minus One last night and yeah it's as good as everyone has been saying

funny to think that what's probably the most vicious version of Godzilla we've ever gotten is also probably the smallest one, also I think this is the first time we've gotten a Godzilla with a proper atomic breath that never really fired it in the more traditional beam style, he's always just firing single shots, lastly this is probably the most gruesome death any version of Godzilla has ever had at least in terms of onscreen detail

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Finally saw Minus One last night and yeah it's as good as everyone has been saying

funny to think that what's probably the most vicious version of Godzilla we've ever gotten is also probably the smallest one,

Iirc he is around 1 or so meters taller than 1954 G

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just got home from the theater. Absolutely loved it. It felt like almost the antithesis of Shin Godzilla and that's not a knock against either film.

The way the film used music was so godamn good. The Ginza attack gave me a huge smile when the theme song started blasting and then they changed it juuuuuuust enough for the catharsis to turn to dread, anxiety and then tragedy. It was full on nostalgia before hitting you with the reality of what you're witnessing. Absolutely brilliant way to balance out the emotional stakes of each scene.

I also really loved the cast. "Unlike other godzilla movies this one is about the char-*strangulation gurgles*" but they really nailed the character dynamics between the minesweeper crew, Koichi and Noriko and Sumiko. The captain was my favourite character by far, bringing the right amount of humor from a guy who has seen a lot of poo poo.

I wasn't bothered at all by the ejection fakeout because it was telegraphed throughout the film that it is better to live for the future than die for the sins of the past. So for me it was more dramatic watching and wondering if Koichi was going to eject and move on with his life or if he was still held back by his demons. Just like Noriko tells him that his demons are of his own making and he has a means to move on, the ejector seat being there is just another dangling bit of proof that he absolutely can survive, but will he?

It's why I also really liked the flashback with Tachibana after you see his palpable relief upon hearing Koichi survived. Everytime we've seen him in the film he's been hating on Shikishima and blaming him for the deaths on Odo Island. Him telling Koichi about the ejection seat is his way of forgiving him and showing that he's also decided to move on rather than dwell in the past. Keeping that scene until after Koichi is shown to survive kept the open question of whether he'd commit to the kamikaze run open, and then it finally releases the tension upon discovering he'd fully committed to living instead.

It completely recontextualizes his actions during the final fight. Facing Godzilla wasn't atonement, he already had it. It wasn't personal anymore, it was just the right thing to do.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 9, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think you might be right. There was more than one scene where I thought Godzilla was going to straight up suplex a building.

The shot where Godzilla just bear hugs a building and tears it apart comprises about 10 seconds of the very best the franchise has ever done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also thought godzilla himself was pretty interesting in this movie. Personal thoughts here so if I'm off base let me know.

I liked how despite being one of the most actively malevolent Godzillas we've ever seen he doesn't actually seem to be the usual "punishment for our sins" motif G usually embodies in the darker films. Shikishima sees his own survivors guilt reflected in Godzilla coming back to haunt him but he's told just as often that his demons are self-made.

The film is constantly reiterating how Japan needs to do better and move on rather than become trapped in a cycle of guilt. I didn't see Godzilla as a divine reckoning for the horrible things that Imperial Japan did during WW2. That reckoning already came with the firebombings and the nukes. Godzilla's vendetta is a more recent thing caused by violent interactions with humans and not just Japan. He didnt bother anyone until they shot him and loving nuked him.

To me the movie wasn't saying "you're rebuilding but you haven't learned your lesson yet so here's God coming to smash it down for your hubris." Instead Godzilla's attack is a test. Japan is already at zero and now they're being struck again. Do they accept defeat and wallow in the failures and atrocities of the past or do they choose a better path forward and find new purpose. The old ways of fighting with tanks, guns and bombs don't work. Just like the characters trapped by the past, the past holds no solutions for the current problem. It's only through trust, cooperation and valuing human life that they can come up with a plan that has a chance at succeeding.

Dunno I'm just a big fan of the Indomitable Human Spirit whenever it crops up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 9, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Iirc he is around 1 or so meters taller than 1954 G
You must be thinking of Godzilla Plus One

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Minus One's Godzilla is probably one of the more on-the-nose metaphorical incarnations of the character. It's embodied trauma, post-war Japan's broadly and Shimamura's in particular. It's this terrible thing that confronted him with his own shameful human weakness, a thing that time and distance hasn't diminished but only allowed to grow and metastasize into something that keeps taking from him and won't let him rebuild his life.

Fighting it doesn't work, shoving it deep down where it will never come back up doesn't work, dragging it up to the cold light of day doesn't quite do the job. It's only defeated by confronting it face to face along with all his human frailty and deciding that, no, this thing isn't worth destroying myself for.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

I wasn't bothered at all by the ejection fakeout because it was telegraphed throughout the film that it is better to live for the future than die for the sins of the past. So for me it was more dramatic watching and wondering if Koichi was going to eject and move on with his life or if he was still held back by his demons. Just like Noriko tells him that his demons are of his own making and he has a means to move on, the ejector seat being there is just another dangling bit of proof that he absolutely can survive, but will he?

I honestly thought that the lever he told Koichi to pull to arm the bomb was going to actually be the ejection trigger. Koichi would go to "arm the bomb" and end up being ejected while the plan blew up on its own. Not sure what that would have done to him, living when he didn't make the choice to do so on his own.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Annath posted:

I honestly thought that the lever he told Koichi to pull to arm the bomb was going to actually be the ejection trigger. Koichi would go to "arm the bomb" and end up being ejected while the plan blew up on its own. Not sure what that would have done to him, living when he didn't make the choice to do so on his own.

This is exactly what I thought.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

You’d think that with the split timeline it would be easy to make the future characters just competent investigators who move the story forward by finding out what happened in the past and discovering the current fallout from past events.

That would make sense if the show had stakes, but we’re five episodes in and it’s genuinely unclear why the missing dad guy is important at all. None of the kids care about his research, while the spy dudes seem totally clueless as to what it might even be about.

From the context of the movies, the great big secret is likely just the hollow earth from the Wingard films. But that’s pretty nuts, if so, when that concept was already mentioned as a plot point in 4 of the 5 movies, and directly shown in two of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty pleased at the broad range of Godzilla stuff we've had in the last ten years. G14 gives us a pretty traditional monster flick, King of the Monsters was like a hollywood Heisei movie, Godzilla vs Kong was a late Showa era romp, Shin was Anno flexing his ultimate nerd card to make a black tragicomedy, Gen Urobuchi reminded us of what dogshit Godzilla movies can look like, Singular Point went full technobabble for a Jet Jaguar series and now Minus One is bringing its own take.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The anime trilogy was good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

The anime trilogy was good.

I'm glad you liked it. :)

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If by anime trilogy you mean any random three episode segment of Singular Point, I agree.