Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

PurpleXVI posted:

You know in a setting where body snatchers and ancient aliens are both provably real, having a Koprulu Alex Jones as a side character or radio show alternative to the official Mengsk News Network would've been a pretty funny and obvious slam dunk.

Brings to mind Babylon 5 and how Garibaldi, a fairly staunch "Law And Order But Also Pretty Libertarian If You're A 'Good Guy,'" 90's-rear end Conservative was one of the loudest and most aggressive voices of opposition to actual fascism. Boy, wasn't that a nice fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JohnKilltrane posted:

Come to think of it, it's also maybe something they ran into with the Narud thing. Like, in universe, yeah, for someone to make a connection that "Hey, Narud is Duran spelled backwards, this old white scientist dude must be that lieutenant from a few years back, just in a different body" would be completely off the wall. Like that is moon man talk, it's a completely unhinged theory that no character could rattle off without sounding like Koprulu Alex Jones. But it's still something that's pretty obvious to the player.
Except you've got this character who knows what Duran is up to and he shows up in the game and even meets Raynor to warn him specifically of the hybrid threat.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zeratul doesn't know specifically where Duran is right now, which face and name hes' wearing and what he's up to in detail; meanwhile Narud is staying away from the Protoss for now.

For all we rightfully mock Blizzard for "Emil Narud", they've been careful* about not putting him next to the one character that could recognize him and be believed.
Kerrigan did recognize him, but there's minus infinity trust in that direction since the Brood War backstab party.

*a post-it saying "Zeratul and Narud must never meet" would suffice

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Omobono posted:

Zeratul doesn't know specifically where Duran is right now, which face and name hes' wearing and what he's up to in detail; meanwhile Narud is staying away from the Protoss for now.

For all we rightfully mock Blizzard for "Emil Narud", they've been careful* about not putting him next to the one character that could recognize him and be believed.
Kerrigan did recognize him, but there's minus infinity trust in that direction since the Brood War backstab party.

*a post-it saying "Zeratul and Narud must never meet" would suffice

"Emil Narud... no, you're wrong, it couldn't be Duran."

"What makes you so certain?"

"Well, Narud reversed would be Duran, that would be obvious. But Emil Narud? Duran Lime? Just doesn't match."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doctor Emil Narud is an anagram for Micro Rod Nude Alt

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

My complaint isn't that the character's don't know it's Duran, but that the players instantly know.

Like, this is the start of a trilogy! Give the players something to puzzle over during the gap between games! Now when Narud inevitably reveals himself as evil and drops 30 million hybrid on our heads our response won't be '*gasp* what a twist!' but rather 'oh, I was wondering when he'd get around to that,' since we knew what the big secret was the second we learned his name.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the only time reverse/reverse name reveals work is when the names in question are either natural-sounding names or both spellings are exotic enough to not be a giveaway

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine if he had gone with a palindrome name.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i am dr. bob. no relation to mr. bob

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

My complaint isn't that the character's don't know it's Duran, but that the players instantly know.

Like, this is the start of a trilogy! Give the players something to puzzle over during the gap between games! Now when Narud inevitably reveals himself as evil and drops 30 million hybrid on our heads our response won't be '*gasp* what a twist!' but rather 'oh, I was wondering when he'd get around to that,' since we knew what the big secret was the second we learned his name.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the player/reader immediately knowing "this guy is the baddie and is going to inevitably betray us." That just shifts the source of tension from the shock of the betrayal to the anticipation of when the betrayal will occur.

The problem with Narud/Duran is that, like Mengsk, he is a non-entity in the Wings plot. If he was the one we were interfacing with in the finale instead of Valerian, that'd actually give the fact that the player knows the guy is evil some weight and would utilize him to create tension that maybe this artifact thing is a bad idea because while Raynor and company don't know the full story, we do, and are thus in a position to fully appreciate the tension between this artifact looking like the only way out vs us knowing that the devil himself is the one holding the rope.

This is, of course, not what was done.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the player/reader immediately knowing "this guy is the baddie and is going to inevitably betray us." That just shifts the source of tension from the shock of the betrayal to the anticipation of when the betrayal will occur.

The problem with Narud/Duran is that, like Mengsk, he is a non-entity in the Wings plot. If he was the one we were interfacing with in the finale instead of Valerian, that'd actually give the fact that the player knows the guy is evil some weight and would utilize him to create tension that maybe this artifact thing is a bad idea because while Raynor and company don't know the full story, we do, and are thus in a position to fully appreciate the tension between this artifact looking like the only way out vs us knowing that the devil himself is the one holding the rope.

This is, of course, not what was done.

Hell, if Narud was swapped for Valerian we'd have some pretty fun tension between us knowing Narud is a cosmic evil and us knowing Tychus is a mole, with Raynor obliviously in the middle of them. With all the potential that the two evil treachery plots will crash into each other!

In retrospect I don't think there's a good reason for Valerian and Narud to be separate characters. They even both have the element of running the Moebius Foundation.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Hell, if Narud was swapped for Valerian we'd have some pretty fun tension between us knowing Narud is a cosmic evil and us knowing Tychus is a mole, with Raynor obliviously in the middle of them. With all the potential that the two evil treachery plots will crash into each other!

In retrospect I don't think there's a good reason for Valerian and Narud to be separate characters. They even both have the element of running the Moebius Foundation.

Thanks for reminding me of that, and it makes me wonder if the original plan was for Narud to be our handler, but there was a pivot somewhere in the editing phase.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Tenebrais posted:

Could have been a fun moment if Valerian was like "Who?" when Tychus or Raynor mentioned Narud and the work they'd done, too. Undermine his authority a bit, etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and then Narud is actually just a red herring for Surutcra Ksgnem all along

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Char 3: All In

Video: All In

The time has finally come.

Today, we beat Wings of Liberty.

Intel provided by the Moebius Foundation suggests that the zerg will be attracted by the artifact's pulse-emanations. Once it's activated, all nearby zerg will go into a frenzy trying to reach it.

Recharge or no I'll take all the help we can get right now, General.

Kerrigan's taking to the field this time.

The nova instantly kills all the approaching zerg.

That's not Cutscene Power, by the way, it deals 550 damage to all zerg in range, and leaves behind a damage field that deals 300 damage over 30 seconds to catch anything that might have been right on the edge.

All In does not gently caress around. Right off the bat I start with 23 SCVs, 14 full mineral patches, three capped geysers, nearly 150 starting supply, and the entire tech tree already built. Whatever build you have in mind for this mission, you can instantly get started on it.

The artifact will slowly charge itself, and isn't impacted by using the energy nova. When it hits 100% (at exactly 30:09), I win.

My starting minerals are going towards two spare Command Centers, to spam out more MULEs and supercharge my economy.

That army we saw in the briefing also carries over. Each side of my base starts with two Medics, three Marauders, seven Marines, and a Siege Tank.

A solid Bunker line is mandatory here.

Three Battlecruisers and a few extra Marines are guarding the artifact itself.

And now...

For the secret sauce.

The game is nice and lets you know when you can use the nova.

Attacks have started, and the zerg will be relentless for the entire mission. There's pretty much a neverending mixture of 'base is under attack,' 'your SCVs are under attack,' and 'your forces are under attack' from now on. Part of the reason I made those extra CCs was to rapidly make a bunch of repair SCVs in an emergency.

And, naturally, I'll need more Siege Tanks.

The artifact needs extra Emulators.

Incoming transmission.

Here's where your choice last time comes into play:

Since I did Belly of the Beast to knock out Nydus Worms, there will be periodic attack waves sent directly to the artifact. Had I done Shatter the Sky, Nydus Worms would pop out in various places and send an endless stream of zerg at me, starting with a trickle of Zerglings and ramping up to an line of Ultralisks if they survive for too long.

This is why All In (Air) is considered the harder version of the map. The extra reinforcements from the Worms just means I'd have to super reinforce my Bunker lines, which I have to do anyways, and the Worms themselves can be easily dealt with by making a batch of Banshees to go and snipe them down whenever they pop up. Here, the flyers get to skip past all my defenses and head straight to the artifact, forcing me to split my defenses three ways. I can't just throw in a bunch of Missile Turrets down and call it a day either, since these waves also include Brood Lords.

And my Emulator field on this side is just getting started, leaving me without my secret weapon.

So I hit the button rather than deal with it. Every use of the artifact after the initial charge takes three and a half minutes to come back up.

It has a long enough range that I'll always have some breathing room before the next wave is able to approach.

Matt never calls this out, but All In (Air) also has drop pods tossed at my base periodically.

This is the main use case for Planetary Fortress. Spread your CCs throughout your base, and they can handle the drops on their own.

But a few Perditions will work just as well.

A few.

Incoming transmission.

Oh good, my Emulators are starting to come up.

Nice Mutalisks.

Mine now.

While All In (Air) is harder, it does let me do stuff like this. While I'll have to keep an eye on more things compared to All In (Ground), I'll also be getting a bigger and bigger zerg army that doesn't cost any supply.

All In (Ground), meanwhile, goes for the Psi Disupter and slaps one down at each Bunker wall to make it take that much longer for things to start hitting you.

The really funny thing is that despite the energy nova being described as an anti-zerg button, it actually just damages enemies. All the zerg on my side are 100% unharmed by it.

Close to 9 minutes in, a telltale marker pops up on the minimap.

Kerrigan will randomly pick a side to walk down, and it's vital you unsiege your tanks and pull them away and bring up a bunch of SCVs.

Of course, no tanks will heavily weaken that side against the normal zerg that accompany Kerrigan.

So hitting the button will kill all her flunkies, while dealing a good chunk of damage to her in the process.

Unlike The Mobius Factor where she was more focused on sightseeing, Kerrigan is out for blood. She can three tap a Bunker if you don't have Fortified Bunkers, letting her easily crack my defensive line if I didn't pull so many SCVs to keep it repaired. Her first spell, Implosion, lets her instantly kill any mechanical unit. Hellion? Siege Tank? Thor? Battlecruiser? Doesn't matter. If she sees them, they die.

"But hold on a minute," you might be asking, "Kerrigan only has a piddly 1,250 HP! Couldn't you just make 12 Siege Tanks and instantly kill her in a single volley?"

Normally yes. If she didn't have an unlisted passive that caps all incoming damage to 6, plus cutting spell damage by 75%. Pretty much the only thing that can deal with her quickly are an army of Marines. Ghosts are also a great option, since Snipe still deals 30 damage and you can spam those out to burn her down fast, but that involves siding with Nova and ACAB.

When she gets dropped to around 100 health she'll fall back.

We've driven her back! Keep it up!

Once she's gone I can move my tanks back up.

Yoink.

And for good measure, I build some Medivacs of all things.

See, despite not being mentioned at all, the Medic's heal is classified as ground only. The Medivac, meanwhile, can heal ground and air, so leaving a few in base will let me keep my new zerg friends healthy.

This is also why I got the Medivac upgrade earlier. Both of my 'for funsies' picks were chosen because I knew y'all would send me here. :v:

Oh I'm sorry, did I say that I had to split my defenses three ways? I meant four ways.

A bunch of horrifying biological weapons? Awww, Kerrigan, you shouldn't have.

And they're sending more Brood Lords!

They're a surprise tool that will help us later!

You might think this is a massive drop play.

But it's a bit more than that. They'll drop a few units, then start using their creep vomit move wherever they decided to float. I guess the idea is that one would get through, start spewing creep all over your base, then if you have to make more production or supply or something you'd find the spot unbuildable and be forced to wait until the creep dies out.

I'm not quite ready for what I have planned.

So instead I throw the Mutalisks at her. Since they're not mechanical, she can't nail them with Implosion.

And more friends.

These attacks are becoming so frequent that a new one starts right as the last one is taken.

Oh well, more for me.

Brood Lords have also started joining the normal attack waves, but the range on the Emulator is just short enough that I can't grab them without placing one past my Bunkers.

In hindsight, I could have make a few Vikings and parked them near my Bunkers, like I said in their drat Spotlight, but at this point I was spinning so many plates it entirely slipped my mind.

Six Brood Lords should be enough. And just in the nick of time!

Why?

Because starting from her third attack, Kerrigan picks up her second spell, Razor Swarm. Razor Swarm is an upgraded version of Psionic Storm.

Psionic Storm deals 80 damage over 4 seconds.

Razor Swarm deals 168 over 7. Against buildings, that shoots up to 245.

Suddenly, my plan to mass repair a Bunker no longer works, as she'll simply drop a Razor Swarm on my SCVs and shred them all instantly. Once they're dead, she can effortlessly break my Bunkers and put a gaping hole in my line.

However, her AI just cannot handle Brood Lords.

Everyone here is biological, so she can't use Implosion.

Razor Swarm doesn't matter, since more Broodlings are constantly being flung at her.

She only has four range, so she can't even try to kill my Brood Lords the old fashioned way.

She'll get a ton of kills, sure, but there's nothing she can do to save herself from getting beaned in the head by Broodlings and being nibbled to death.

It's a nice trade off. All In (Ground) is overall easier, but Kerrigan will hit your Bunker line and force you to rebuild between attacks. All In (Air) is harder to stabilize, but once you're set up you can cheese her every time she spawns.

Won't stop me from stealing more, though.

And here's the final difference between air and ground:

A Leviathan is sent out on air, while Nydus Worms will start to pop up inside your base at this point on ground.

But you want to know a secret?

The Leviathan is actually harmless and will never move past this spot unless you intentionally pull it in.

Now, technically it still has that ability to spawn a limitless number of Mutas and Brood Lords, and they're set to head to the artifact, which could possibly run all my Emulators dry if I left it alone!

But you want to know another secret?

The Leviathan's spawning ability isn't actually limitless. Instead, it'll spawn zerg until it hits an internal cap. Once that cap is hit, it won't spawn any more until the spawned zerg are killed.

Key word: killed.

Since I'm controlling the zerg, not killing them, they still count against the cap and the Leviathan can't spawn any more once I grab enough.

So now all it can do is float there.

Menacingly.

At this point, the mission is pretty much solved. The Leviathan's a non-issue, Kerrigan will drown in Broodlings, and my defenses are solid.

Of course, things would be much different if I didn't have the Emulator.

I don't know. I think I understand kinetic force rather well, actually.

The rate of Broodlings is now so high that most of them can't even reach her. They just run in circles until Kerrigan drops a Razor Swarm and they all evaporate.

Just another five minutes to go.

At this point I have so many zerg that I'm just killing the new waves.

For the last few minutes they go crazy with drop pods.

Whoops, forgot to move my tanks back and lost a Bunker!

And one final push from Kerrigan in the last minute.

Also my Mutalisk army sort of... murdered the Leviathan in a few seconds while I wasn't looking.

I didn't even send them there, they followed a chain of flyers until they ran into it.

Kerrigan gets caught in the same trap that got her the last two times.

And for whatever reason, a very important line never fires here.

what should have played posted:

Don't give up!

I hear Sarah...

She's losin' it!

gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off.

Do you know what they just did?

They did a 'fighting from the inside' thing for Kerrigan.

Meaning the Queen of Blades we've been dealing with and Sarah Kerrigan are actually different beings.

They loving retconned Kerrigan into being a Blizzard Corruption Plot.

Rather than try to figure out how to do a redemption arc for someone with the blood of billions on her hands, the writers instead decided to make Sarah Kerrigan completely innocent of all her sins! It was all the nefarious 'other' that's been puppeting her ever since she hatched on Char!

Which completely ruins her entire character arc in the original game.

She was a tool of the Confederacy! She was a tool of Mengsk! She was a tool of the Overmind!

And when Brood War rolled around, she finally had power and agency for the first time in her life and she loving loved it!

Sure, her ex swore a blood oath against her after she killed his buddy, and sure she's now enemy number 1 in the sector, but who gives a poo poo!? She's Queen Bitch of the Universe!

That's all gone now.

According to Starcraft 2, Sarah Kerrigan effectively ceased to exist as a character from the moment she was captured by the zerg.

At least my own zerg are safe and sound.

Antiquitous Artifact - Complete the "All In" mission without using the Artifact on Normal difficulty.

Just think! The worst is yet to come!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2024

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Just think! The worst is yet to come!

Come now, this is clearly the nadir and next games will be storytelling masterpieces. Right? Right?
Narrator voice: the worst was yet to come indeed.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

BisbyWorl posted:

gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off gently caress off.

Yup. Fantastic way to just drain away all of the goodwill this fantastically frantic ending mission was building up. Leaving you sour and ready to be disappointed by the final cutscene regardless of its actual quality. You just automatically know, going into it, that it is already bad.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah I remember the first time playing and when that message came up I was like "I'm sorry? Did that really just happen? This is gonna be a really dumb ending" and, well, it did kinda kill my desire to play again for a couple years.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As much as how SC2 handles Kerrigan loving sucks, the adjutant's announcement the first time she spawns in is intimidating as loving hell the first time you play.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fun Fact: Human Sarah Kerrigan doesn't even get a unique model. That's just Nova with recolored hair.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

What the gently caress? I've never even seen that. Apparently the bug that stops it from playing is easy to to trigger.

That doesn't even make sense with the direction of her character in HotS. What were they smoking?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This is a good demonstration of why emulator is considered extremely cheesy and you don't pick it if you are after challenge. Same as drop pods in the protoss tree, turns out lot of things can be solved quickly and way too easily by teleporting infantry squads. (Really, marines) :v:

Also I recently tried few missions on Brutal and drat, that's actually hard. The AI changes make it sooo much harder to play the terran turtle.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Queen of Blades was always a dumb name

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

First, I have to say that I like the reverse Zapp Brannigan approach to the leviathan, where you don't lose wave after wave of your own men, but the enemy does reach his preset limit and shuts down.

Secondly, oh my god. I played WoL twice, and both times ran out of patience and desire to play the game, apparently two missions before the end. I'm frankly flabbergasted at how bad the ~reveal~ here is, even by the standards of this game's writing. Almost all of Kerrigan's motivations in Brood War centered around personal revenge against Mengsk and the Dominion for what they'd done to her, and saying that she's not really there it's just some thing moving in her place not only undermines all the themes of the game but doesn't make any sense either. If it's some foreign entity, why does it care about her revenge?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Didn't the Pondering show us that the Overmind infested Kerrigan with the express purpose of creating an agent that could act outside of whatever was ~*corrupting*~ it? Kerrigan actually being under the control of the big bad the whole time doesn't just fail to make sense in the context of SC1, it makes no sense in the context of this game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Finally, we're getting to the part I can really complain about.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
That voiceline only plays if she dies for the 5th time if there is a certain amount of time left before the artifact charges. In your case, she was stuck on broodlings and never died I think.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Didn't the Pondering show us that the Overmind infested Kerrigan with the express purpose of creating an agent that could act outside of whatever was ~*corrupting*~ it? Kerrigan actually being under the control of the big bad the whole time doesn't just fail to make sense in the context of SC1, it makes no sense in the context of this game.

This is a great point. They included a line of dialogue that makes no sense with the plot of the first game, the previous game, the current game AND the next game and for what? The most vapid possible idea of romance? Like, I was more into the Raynor/Kerrigan romance plot element than most even going back to the original games, and even I am dumbfounded.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This mission does answer how the artifact reverses zergification - it doesn't, it just explodes everything zerg related and Kerrigan just has enough plot armour psi rating to survive that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think people are vastly overreacting to a bad story. I played SC1 and Brood War as a kid, too. To this day, Kerrigan's ending monologue in Brood War is still one of my favorite video game speeches. I can quote it without looking it up, that's how often I've watched it.

WoL's story is a poo poo sandwich, with some few non-poo poo parts sprinkled in. I enjoyed the gameplay of SC2 quite a lot, but the story is a very different thing. Yet this doesn't retroactively ruin Brood War for me, wtf. Death of the Author is a thing, I will never lose my fond memories of those games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Human Kerrigan reaching out to Jimmy from within the Queen of Blades is such a momentously stupid plot point for so many reasons that I refuse to believe it happened. Obviously that dialogue box is just Raynor having some kind of delirious episode.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
All that alcohol finally got to him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

This mission does answer how the artifact reverses zergification - it doesn't, it just explodes everything zerg related and Kerrigan just has enough plot armour psi rating to survive that.

the artifact does not explode Zerg, it deletes it

Zerg minus Zerg = 0; humanZerg minus Zerg = human

this is Science

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 9, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

the artifact does not explode Zerg, it deletes it

Zerg minus Zerg = 0; humanZerg minus Zerg = human

this is Science

It woulda been fun if all the zerg got turned into the original alien wildlife they were based on. A pointless amount of modelling effort, but fun.

If Kerrigan fighting with herself has been a recent phenomenon, that whole bit would have worked out alright, both with the past campaigns and the future ones. The Zeratul missions could have been an opportunity to show that she isn't herself any more and has been grappling with space satan corruption during the break between the games. And that it's the same Kerrigan that tore apart the sector before that's now seeking to be freed even if it costs her power. It would at least gel with what's to come a little better. Although really it's still gonna be dumb, because the big driving force behind the plot is also dumb.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sanguinia posted:

What the gently caress? I've never even seen that. Apparently the bug that stops it from playing is easy to to trigger.

I've played All In a few times and have never heard that exchange either. :stare:

edit:

Tenebrais posted:

If Kerrigan fighting with herself has been a recent phenomenon, that whole bit would have worked out alright, both with the past campaigns and the future ones. The Zeratul missions could have been an opportunity to show that she isn't herself any more and has been grappling with space satan corruption during the break between the games. And that it's the same Kerrigan that tore apart the sector before that's now seeking to be freed even if it costs her power. It would at least gel with what's to come a little better. Although really it's still gonna be dumb, because the big driving force behind the plot is also dumb.

This is actually what I thought was being conveyed when I read that dialog. Like it's been so long, she's kinda lost her mind or had a split personality thing develop. It didn't occur to me that this was supposed to reflect Kerrigan's state of being ever since she got infested, precisely because that really just makes no sense at all for reasons everyone else has mentioned.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 9, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

It woulda been fun if all the zerg got turned into the original alien wildlife they were based on. A pointless amount of modelling effort, but fun.

the artifact also deletes the original wildlife

it's a bit like the Halos from that other game whose name I can't remember: they couldn't destroy the Flood, so they just destroy everything else in the universe instead

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Personally, I read it as Kerrigan being delirious. At this point she's had how many near-death experiences in how many minutes? And that's on top of repeatedly getting blasted with the artifact in the same span of time. It's not unheard of for someone to get suicidal or go crazy over way less. Hell, for some folks all it takes is some forum posts! :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think the idea is that the Overmind's efforts with her seemed to work, but he perhaps didn't realize how deep the influence goes. Queen Bitch Kerrigan, unlike the Overmind, did largely have free will, but the *~influence~* applied some heavy, heavy behavioral filters onto that Free Will that ultimately would still have rendered the whole plan moot without somehow shaking off that layer of influence before it was too late.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
This mission is insane on Brutal. Like, the rest of the campaign is manageable, there isn't a huge challenge if you know what you're doing. But for some reason the last mission has a huge difficulty spike compared to the ones right before it.

At least the HME cheese still works!

Also, that last cutscene where you see the nova from the artifact wiping out the enemy bases plays in-engine. Meaning, if you've decided to go out and wipe out their bases for whatever reason, that cutscene shows the shockwave passing over nothing but empty terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Unfortunately I've replayed SC1 a lot more recently than BW (even doing another run at present to quench the RTS itch while we get into bits of SC2 that aren't free), and the zerg mission where Kerrigan hatches has a big fuckin' plot point about her having sent psi dreams from her cocoon to Raynor and Mengsk to come save her. Naturally when she does hatch and confronts Raynor (Mengsk sent Duke, who doesn't bother to talk during the mission), she is just pleased as punch about her new power and sends Raynor packing, minus most of his men's organs. By itself, there are multiple reasons she might have gone that way, including her simply changing mentally as well as physically. But when you put another thing of her reaching out, while the Queen of Blades is still active, it puts the initial calling out into a different perspective. This is now definitely someone who's always been there, but maybe suppressed by a new dominant personality or something.

Now this could still be interpreted different ways, like a split personality developing during the probably grueling special infestation process (given it takes multiple missions and thus probably days/weeks of torment), rather than some nonsense zerg overcoat of a person. But giving Blizzard the benefit of the doubt even by 2010 that they wouldn't just poo poo out another corruption plot and call it a day is hard. Maybe HotS would do better with it, maybe it wouldn't, but I can't be optimistic. Then add on everyone constantly going "oh man if you think this is bad I can't wait until we get to HotS".