Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poking at this Eco game and it’s like if Zach Adams was building Minecraft. might be fun to play with the family? not sure how much fun it would be to do solo

but if there were a Goon server…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I think the No Man’s Sky devs have earned the benefit of the doubt after they work they put in to make No Man’s Sky what it is, and treasured as much by its community as it is. Plus, they have a decade of experience developing the tools needed for this new game.

It’s still very funny that they’re starting a similar hype cycle that led to the underwhelming launch and initial backlash that No Man’s Sky had. It does seem like they’re aware of it and making fun of themselves, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Dark Souls of Posters posted:

I think the No Man’s Sky devs have earned the benefit of the doubt after they work they put in to make No Man’s Sky what it is, and treasured as much by its community as it is. Plus, they have a decade of experience developing the tools needed for this new game.

It’s still very funny that they’re starting a similar hype cycle that led to the underwhelming launch and initial backlash that No Man’s Sky had. It does seem like they’re aware of it and making fun of themselves, though.

yeah, like, they can afford to go a bit hog wild with the promises since they've bought an unfathomable amount of goodwill after fixing no man's sky so thoroughly. people are going to assume that anything bad it launches with is going to get hammered out in time, and that'll make selling the thing a lot easier regardless of what the final product actually looks like

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could just ship a black screen with rotating teapot to enter EA and people would throw money at them to watch the game get patched in over a few years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

I think the weakest part about No Man's Sky is the procedurally generated aspect of it, so I'm not exactly looking forward to that with this new game. But maybe with it being constrained to one planet it won't seem so ridiculous when I see the same pineapple creature for the 50th time.

I like how it looks visually, seems there's a lot of cool races options, but all I could think was that I would be so much more excited if this world they're making was all properly built by hand with each place being created with purpose instead of being procedurally generated

I haven’t played in a few years, but this was my experience. I came in when people first started talking about the game being fixed. My absolute favorite time was the first day when it was a survival game and you’re constantly on the verge of death, scraping together Barely enough resources to survive a few more minutes at a time. Then I got to other planets and it was really exciting at first, but then the fun of procedural generation got stale pretty quickly, Since all the differences between planets seemed very superficial. I switched gears to focusing on building a cool base and then I switched to creative mode where I started building silly bases

Edit: one planet with procedurally generated terrain might work out better because you can hand craft all the plants and animals to be interesting and leave the shapes of hills forests and lakes to procedural chance, which might be less likely to trigger skepticism. Who knows!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 9, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

poking at this Eco game and it’s like if Zach Adams was building Minecraft. might be fun to play with the family? not sure how much fun it would be to do solo

but if there were a Goon server…
its good, solo is kind of boring but the fewer players you have the more you can turn up the skill caps so you can do everything. on a regular server typically you only have enough skill points to cap one or two jobs so you have to rely on your neighbors. only problem is its a couple years old and its pretty solved, so a lot of the mechanics that you're meant to just kinda gently caress around with and feel out like the legal system and global warming people on the public servers just implicitly know what to do and have all the jobs optimized to the point that you're not going to be contributing a lot your first time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Dark Souls of Posters posted:

pretty sure it was a bit but sean is also awkward enough that it sounded like he was being serious with geoff

like this was posted after the awards

but yeah I'll give them tons of leeway at this point

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Saw Godzilla Minus One today. Best movie I've seen in a while. Loved Godzilla vs. Kong, loved Shin Godzilla, but this is something else man.

I also appreciate that this is also essentially the best Evangelion film, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

its good, solo is kind of boring but the fewer players you have the more you can turn up the skill caps so you can do everything. on a regular server typically you only have enough skill points to cap one or two jobs so you have to rely on your neighbors. only problem is its a couple years old and its pretty solved, so a lot of the mechanics that you're meant to just kinda gently caress around with and feel out like the legal system and global warming people on the public servers just implicitly know what to do and have all the jobs optimized to the point that you're not going to be contributing a lot your first time

Hmm, OK. I think I’ll figure out the basic UI and interactions and then find a fresh-ish server to play on. Thanks for the insight!

Captain Invictus posted:

pretty sure it was a bit but sean is also awkward enough that it sounded like he was being serious with geoff

like this was posted after the awards

but yeah I'll give them tons of leeway at this point

The Cyberpunk 2077 account replied with “you can fix it later”, also.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Saw Godzilla Minus One today. Best movie I've seen in a while. Loved Godzilla vs. Kong, loved Shin Godzilla, but this is something else man.

I also appreciate that this is also essentially the best Evangelion film, too.

it sadly does not count as an evangelion film due to a distinct lack of shots of train-mounted rocket launchers ineffectually firing and then being blown up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I played a bit of Fortnite Lego. Is this just Minecraft? Is this what Minecraft is?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vermain posted:

it sadly does not count as an evangelion film due to a distinct lack of shots of train-mounted rocket launchers ineffectually firing and then being blown up

yeah I don't think it's even in the top 5 most Evangelion Godzilla movies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

My buddy keeps trying to get me to watch Shin Godzilla. Shows me the trailer and first thing I saw was Anno reusing shots from EOE, man claims to be an Eva fan and didn't even notice.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Which is a big part of what makes it the best of them.

At the very least, the protagonist is VERY Eva.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

My buddy keeps trying to get me to watch Shin Godzilla. Shows me the trailer and first thing I saw was Anno reusing shots from EOE, man claims to be an Eva fan and didn't even notice.

the guy just really loves wheeled artillery, what can you say

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

A lot of people don't pay attention to stuff like shot construction. And there is a much more noticeable thing from Eva Anno reuses in Shin Godzilla that may have distracted him

Shin Godzilla absolutely kicks rear end and you should watch it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The best part of shin Godzilla is impotent bureaucracy in the face of a natural disaster

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I was looking into this because I would love to be able to play the game co-op with my wife with no other players but it seems like they're putting weird limitations on it as well? Like, there is a reduced level cap and there are parts of the content that are locked out if you're doing a private server? It seems like an insane design choice.

This is what I was told:

Which seems like just a "gently caress you" to anyone who would be interested in this mode.
It sucks and is weirdly punitive but if you're just doing the story quests it doesn't really effect you. it's mostly just so people don't farm the boring faction rep quests because the pvp in the game relies on a stream of treasure hoarder or merchant alliance crews to harass and steal loot from and everyone would do treasure maps on peaceful servers if given the option to not randomly have the last hour of grinding go up in smoke

you won't be able to earn enough gold to buy anything but the story quests aren't gold centric and mostly pay out in cosmetic rewards

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

homeless snail posted:

It sucks and is weirdly punitive but if you're just doing the story quests it doesn't really effect you. it's mostly just so people don't farm the boring faction rep quests because the pvp in the game relies on a stream of treasure hoarder or merchant alliance crews to harass and steal loot from and everyone would do treasure maps on peaceful servers if given the option to not randomly have the last hour of grinding go up in smoke

you won't be able to earn enough gold to buy anything but the story quests aren't gold centric and mostly pay out in cosmetic rewards

But like... why to they loving care if people farm up that loot and poo poo and get everything while on a peaceful server? That doesn't affect anyone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they correctly recognize that the only people that would play on pvp servers are the people that are way into pvp, all things being equal. is the whole ultima online felucca thing again. an open pvp game like that requires willing victims. it's a bad game and it's insane that anyone takes the garbage pvp that seriously but they're 100% right that would be the death of the game if they did it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's lots of other weird punitive poo poo in safer seas that goes beyond that though, like, after six years or however long they finally added any kind of persistence where you can buy a boat and name it and customize it (instead of starting fresh with a new random boat each time). as unlikely as you'd be to afford it playing the peaceful mode, you can't bring your captained ship there anyway. because gently caress you

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mordiceius posted:

But like... why to they loving care if people farm up that loot and poo poo and get everything while on a peaceful server? That doesn't affect anyone.

sounds like it does affect others because the pvp is build around pirating, i.e. stealing poo poo from people who dont wanna pvp. same as dark souls. if all the people who didn't wanna pvp left to no-pvp servers there'd be nobody to pirate from

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Songbearer posted:

Where is your GOTY post, you Dodogama-licking hatwearer

ive been busy and thinking is hard :(

i wrote a bit of it though. it is currently in a txt file

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

sounds like it does affect others because the pvp is build around pirating, i.e. stealing poo poo from people who dont wanna pvp. same as dark souls. if all the people who didn't wanna pvp left to no-pvp servers there'd be nobody to pirate from

Okay, well the pvp pirates can all fight each other then.

But if the devs are basically saying "our game can only properly exist if we have to force people who don't want to pvp to do pvp stuff (or punish them for not taking part)" then maybe you have a bad loving game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
thats like a whole genre of games. ever heard of extraction shooters

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

thats like a whole genre of games. ever heard of extraction shooters

I still don't understand why it's an insane idea to have a pve-only mode.

If the pvp mode can't sustain itself along aside a pve mode, then the pvp mode shouldn't exist because clearly not enough people want it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but the pvp players do want it. the want to prey on pve players
they don't want to duel. the whole point is to give people wedgies and go "ha-ha all that stuff you worked for is mine now loser" and stick your tongue out at the screen

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but the pvp players do want it. the want to prey on pve players
they don't want to duel. the whole point is to give people wedgies and go "ha-ha all that stuff you worked for is mine now loser" and stick your tongue out at the screen

Maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't make games for those people.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
playing as the bad guy is fun

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Just wait for Elden Sea, the PVP players will be properly reigned in by then.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't make games for those people.

You can simply not play the game and forget it exists.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2400510/Dungeons__Degenerate_Gamblers/
It's not as slick as Balatro (the Poker deckbuilder in development) nor is it likely as well-balanced, but I got a real kick out of some of the goofy cards available in the demo (available on Steam or you can just play in browser at their itch.io page).
Basic premise is you play a series of blackjack games against an opponent until one side loses all their health, health is deducted from the loser of a round for every point the winner goes over their hand score. A bust is considered zero, so you can deal up to 21 damage normally... before card effects and suits. Spades give you shields on a winning hand, Clubs gives you bonus damage on a winning hand, Diamonds give you extra chips (the currency, natch) on a winning hand, and Hearts heal you on a winning hand. You (normally) only draw cards from your deck and your opponent does the same with theirs, and your deck starts with a single suit, Ace through King. Then, like any deckbuilder roguelite, you get to choose to add a card to your deck (or skip). This is where things get silly, as you add negative number cards and punch cards and credit cards and so on. It's still blackjack despite this, all you generally want to do is get as close to 21 without going over.

Enemy card effects can get wild pretty quickly too, though. Like, an early effect is locking your cards so that they're retained on future rounds. This can be done more than once, so good luck hitting if you have like, a 5 and a 10 locked.
Dunno if I'm in for the full game but it was an amusing demo.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

playing as the bad guy is fun

i dont want to be mean to the virtual people

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
don't be such a herbivore dude. get out there and kill some folks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Mana game announced:

https://www.gamesradar.com/after-16...tion-rpg-roots/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bone emulator posted:

It makes me feel bad and I don't like that :hai:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shard posted:

The best part of shin Godzilla is impotent bureaucracy in the face of a natural disaster

Bureaucracy is what saves the day!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

bone emulator posted:

It's a shame that all the indie gamea simulating being a WoW raid healer are bad. Need more (and good) healing games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

It's a shame that all the indie gamea simulating being a WoW raid healer are bad. Need more (and good) healing games.

This would make for a cool video game premise for a single player title, where you can only be a healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A new version of Lemmings but you're a healer and they won't stay out of the loving fire.