Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I've built aggressive Cassia and it's pretty nuts. I have the talent to cause damage when I force people to move and the AoE "everyone in 12 squares moves 3 squares to this point" ability and it usually wipes out all the chaff. For 1 AP that doesn't count as an attack. I can follow up with the single target version to kill off any elites who survived. My battles start with my officer using the go first talent to give Cassia the first action to use that one two punch and wipe out most of the encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My name is Monte Cristo von Valentius. I will do some horrible war crimes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Further Reading posted:

I've built aggressive Cassia and it's pretty nuts. I have the talent to cause damage when I force people to move and the AoE "everyone in 12 squares moves 3 squares to this point" ability and it usually wipes out all the chaff. For 1 AP that doesn't count as an attack. I can follow up with the single target version to kill off any elites who survived. My battles start with my officer using the go first talent to give Cassia the first action to use that one two punch and wipe out most of the encounter.

Wait until you level up enough and can give Cassia the Archetype that lets her always go first. You can do the Officer thing and then she can do it all a second time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Important to note here that one of Cassia's Navigator talents gives her +5 WP until the end of combat every time someone gets an extra turn. Like, say, the extra turns Leaders can get at the beginning of combat, or all the ones they grant with their abilities. Assuming it works as written, it's trivially easy to get her well over 100 WP very early in a fight, at which point stuff like "they take WP bonus damage if they're moved by her powers" starts doing ridiculous things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kei Technical posted:

What's a good psyker approach if you just want to murder people at a distance with your brain? Tentacles or whatever are fine.

Telekinetic and Pyromancer are the main ranged damage ones. The others focus on buffs/debuffs and doing better melee damage.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Which talent is that again? Don't feel like trudging through the many, many ones listed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Evil! Evilevilevil.

,I was all hype to get The multimelta from the beta and put it on Pascal but it turns out they downgraded it to a heavy bolter in the base game

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 9, 2023

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Important to note here that one of Cassia's Navigator talents gives her +5 WP until the end of combat every time someone gets an extra turn. Like, say, the extra turns Leaders can get at the beginning of combat, or all the ones they grant with their abilities. Assuming it works as written, it's trivially easy to get her well over 100 WP very early in a fight, at which point stuff like "they take WP bonus damage if they're moved by her powers" starts doing ridiculous things.

Yup I have that and confirms it works like that.

One idea I just had is infinite willpower. Have her and a MC officer use keep using bring it down to give each other turns. I'm not sure if officers can keep using bring it down like this but if they can then you can give both the talent to go first and get her up to hundreds of willpower before you actually start using abilities.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Evil! Evilevilevil.

,I was all hype to get The multimelta from the beta and put it on Pascal but it turns out they downgraded it to a heavy bolter in the base game

Bullshiiit

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

George Sex - REAL posted:

There's a Void Born trait that seemingly allows you to use Intelligence instead of Fellowship on skills and abilities.

1. Does this work?

2. Is it as good as it sounds?

EDIT: Like, with this trait can I make an officer who neglects Fellowship but maxes Intelligence?

My brother in the Emperor, Be Smart works for Talents and Abilities but NOT Skills. So, it will let you minmax Officer or Operative stuff that relies on Fellowship but you will not be any better at Persuasion or Coercion.

I went that route with my own Telepath Officer but you can buff Persuasion plenty regardless. Go Be Smart anyhow.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Wait. Wait. Are these demons that my unsanctioned psyker keeps summoning accidentally giving me XP when I kill them? :getin:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

The first Navigator honestly sounded a lot like the Navigator from the original 80's Dune Movie, except not floating around in orange gas. I think Dune's navigator guild was actually an inspiration for 40ks Navigators.

All of 40k is just a collection of ideas copy pasted from other pieces of media all thrown into the same pot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I see the CHaos Daemon at the end of the prologue is still bullshit.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you let it get going, yes. I cleared through it on Daring with 0 difficulty - it got a whole 1 turn. The main thing is you just need to kill the cultists before its turn comes up, so instead of having your party focus on it initially, use whatever tools are available to kill everything else. There's still some luck in whether it manages to knock down someone important (if it does then the fight will just take a bit longer), but on the whole if it can't Devour any cultists then it's generally pretty easy to beat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

If you let it get going, yes. I cleared through it on Daring with 0 difficulty - it got a whole 1 turn. The main thing is you just need to kill the cultists before its turn comes up, so instead of having your party focus on it initially, use whatever tools are available to kill everything else. There's still some luck in whether it manages to knock down someone important, but on the whole if it can't Devour any cultists then it's generally pretty easy to beat.

Yeah it should go down to Abel with a heroic moment plus a little extra damage from whoever else.

The buff per devoured cultists is insane, stack +4 to damage and like 75% health healed.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Is there any way to quickly return to the voidship? I'm doing Rykad Minoris and it seems kind of dumb to have to run back to the command centre then click on the other exit button

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You don't even need to rush to kill the cultists, the chaos spawn only eats the cultists when its health gets low enough. If you just ignore it while focusing on the little guys it flails around ineffectively and never gets damage buffs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 9, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, that's what I did second time and it was easy enough.

But first time I got really unlucky.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, when you get to heroic moments you can do some crazy bullshit.

in the fight to Rescue the tortured Mechano-Priest, Abelard...

1) Ran to one enemy
2) Chopped him down with a strike
3) Charged another enemy, taking him down
4) Activated Heroic Moment
5) Ran to another enemy
6) Took him down.
7 + 8, Repeated steps 5 and 6
9) Ran into a clump of three enemies.
10) Took down three of them with one cleave.

I was like "Oh, poo poo I shouldn't have started that fight that way", but in one turn he took out like six or seven cultists and then got one more when they tried to move out of his threatened zone. It was some wuxia movie poo poo where he just chopped EVERYTHING down in his path.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can someone explain how to make gun-users good? My PC officer with a Rebel Sniper does well enough using the gun for supplemental damage while buffing allies, but I can't figure out how to make Argenta even half as effective as my melee/psykers. At this point she's mostly relegated to running around using medkits and throwing grenades. Burst Fire with the modified bolter is ridiculously inaccurate and hard to position for, and does piddly damage compared to other classes when it does hit. Single shots are super low damage per turn, and she doesn't bring any useful team utility to the table. The only time she shines is using her heroic. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with her

e: Also I gave Abelard a thunder hammer and now he is an absolute monster

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

frajaq posted:

what...what kind of monster would pick a dialogue option like this?!?

a cold calculating forgeworld born crime lord who hasn't taken the skill that lets you use intelligence instead of fellowship yet

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The beta chugged a bit on my machine. Is the release significantly better optimized?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can someone explain how to make gun-users good? My PC officer with a Rebel Sniper does well enough using the gun for supplemental damage while buffing allies, but I can't figure out how to make Argenta even half as effective as my melee/psykers. At this point she's mostly relegated to running around using medkits and throwing grenades. Burst Fire with the modified bolter is ridiculously inaccurate and hard to position for, and does piddly damage compared to other classes when it does hit. Single shots are super low damage per turn, and she doesn't bring any useful team utility to the table. The only time she shines is using her heroic. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with her

I use her as a base of fire. You want to go all-in on her BS and get that high quickly, along with any gear that can improve her accuracy. Then you use her to burst fire into crowds of squishy things. Have your officer boost her resolve and then give her free turns. All those 11 wound minions you slaughter ratchet up your momentum, which you can then use on Abelard for hammer time. Rinse and repeat.

The key is you need her to have high BS so your shots don't wildly deviate. At that point, it's all about volume of fire. With clumped up enemies, the spread starts to work for you and misses will clip the guy standing next to your intended target, blah blah. Alternatively I bet there's a fun flamer build out there. My trader, Pasqual, and Argenta all put in some ranged weapon duty using the longlas, plasma gun, and bolter respectively, each doing somewhat different things with them.

edit: Also don't sleep on Pasqual's recoil reduction from Commune.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arglebargle III posted:

Gotta say I think the dialogue writers understand the setting very well. I enjoyed being able to open fire on the lower deck strikers and still be treated like a rational person, not a slavering maniac. I feel like BG3 my companions would have been horrified, but in 40K there's no room for a Lord-Captain to tolerate those who shelter heretics and rebel against their divinely-appointed masters.

Meanwhile, going along an Iconoclast path, I did the horrible thing of negotiating with the peasants and they did agree to help police themselves and voted down the really militant one (I'm sure this won't bite me in the rear end), and Abelard got real mad at me for not just crushing potential rebellion, which is what Good Traditional Theodora would have done, whereupon I had several ways of pointing out "yeah, Theodora would have done that, and just a few days ago I found her bloody murdered corpse; maybe, just maybe, I should take a lesson from that, and run the trade dynasty my way". Which he accepted! And he reveals that he's actually afraid that doing things differently than Theodora did could collapse the protectorate, and as this is the first thing of true substance he's built in his entire life (having previously been a killing military man), his first instinct is to not rock the boat in such a way that might knock things down. But he does acknowledge that you Are Not Theodora, and he'll respect your right to make your own decisions and do what he can to help you.

It was a really rad character moment with perfectly sensible motivations for his circumstances. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game. :3:

Bell_ posted:

The beta chugged a bit on my machine. Is the release significantly better optimized?

It should be, although I'm a little surprised it "chugged"; the system requirements are extremely low and any hardware released in the previous decade should be able to run the game. My old PC ran the game fine, and my shiny new PC runs the game with the framerate pegged to my refresh rate most of the time. If RT is giving your computer trouble in the release version, that's probably a sign that the time for a new Compy386 has come.

Janissary Hop posted:

I know Owlcat doesn't have the luxury of a million person studio and years of development time but going from Baldurs Gate 3 with its zero loading screens to this is brutal. I'm in warp, asked to resolve something on the ship, loading screen, resolve incident, loading screen, return to map, loading screen. I hate it.

Installing the game on an SSD, especially a modern NVMe SSD, helps enormously. My loads only take a few seconds; vaguely annoying but entirely tolerable, especially after a lifetime of long zone transition loads being normal. But even something like an old-rear end SATA SSD would help a ton.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I see the CHaos Daemon at the end of the prologue is still bullshit.

It's a chaos spawn. My take on that whole weird thing was the psyker took one from the team and jumped into the summoning circle, which immediately mutated him into a spawn but ruined the ritual.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

Meanwhile, going along an Iconoclast path, I did the horrible thing of negotiating with the peasants and they did agree to help police themselves and voted down the really militant one (I'm sure this won't bite me in the rear end), and Abelard got real mad at me for not just crushing potential rebellion, which is what Good Traditional Theodora would have done, whereupon I had several ways of pointing out "yeah, Theodora would have done that, and just a few days ago I found her bloody murdered corpse; maybe, just maybe, I should take a lesson from that, and run the trade dynasty my way". Which he accepted! And he reveals that he's actually afraid that doing things differently than Theodora did could collapse the protectorate, and as this is the first thing of true substance he's built in his entire life (having previously been a killing military man), his first instinct is to not rock the boat in such a way that might knock things down. But he does acknowledge that you Are Not Theodora, and he'll respect your right to make your own decisions and do what he can to help you.

They'll be worshipping the Enemy by next week!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a bit of a nitpick but I don't understand why they always have so few portraits for your character. It's arguably the most important part of your character customization and you only have like a dozen portraits for me to choose from?

I know I can import my own but I always spend for ever trying to find fitting art for my character idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

All of 40k is just a collection of ideas copy pasted from other pieces of media all thrown into the same pot.

To be fair, the game's deep cross-pollination with 2000AD means that quite a bit of it is less a rip-off and more a shared creative origin. It shared a lot of minds with Nemesis the Warlock and Judge Dredd in particular.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 9, 2023

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I'm doing Pasqal as a melee guy with Grand Strategist and like, really doubt that's optimal at all but homeboy is just completely out of control with that power axe. Digging the vibe of "calmly approach the enemy, dictate the field of battle, praise the Omnissiah, cave some dudes' faces in."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok i cheaped my way past the CSM by dropping the difficulty, now I'm doing the most radical tech support call in the history of gaming, it's so good

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

It's a bit of a nitpick but I don't understand why they always have so few portraits for your character. It's arguably the most important part of your character customization and you only have like a dozen portraits for me to choose from?

I know I can import my own but I always spend for ever trying to find fitting art for my character idea.

On the other hand, I really appreciate that they seem to have based the art they do have around customisation options that exist. Selecting a portrait just loads a matching character model which is a huge quality-of-life feature for me. There is nothing that disconnects me from a character more than a model that looks nothing like the actual art of my MC, which was a big problem in the Pathfinder games. But here I found a portrait and matching model I liked and there was no fuss at all.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For the lack of better options for making a total nerd I went with a Voidborne Diviner Psyker Operator. It seems a bit weird that there's no "techie" class available.

Combat feels pretty good from the start, unlike the Pathfinder system that I absolutely hated.
I'm playing on Daring so I'll have to see if I'll end up dropping the difficulty once I start seeing more of the bullshit Owlcat(tm) encounter design, but so far it's a smooth ride.

Also, is there respeccing?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 9, 2023

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So yeah, pretty happy with the game so far. Bugs aren't too bad, even the chaff fights are fine as long as you bring AoE like Cassia.

Jack Trades posted:

For the lack of better options for making a total nerd I went with a Voidborne Diviner Psyker Operator. It seems a bit weird that there's no "techie" class available.

If a tech-priest were given a Warrant of Trade the Mechanicus they work for would take it from them and use it for their own purposes. And it's hard to be a tech guy in the Imperium unless you're aligned with the Mechanicus.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

George Sex - REAL posted:

There's a Void Born trait that seemingly allows you to use Intelligence instead of Fellowship on skills and abilities.

1. Does this work?

2. Is it as good as it sounds?

EDIT: Like, with this trait can I make an officer who neglects Fellowship but maxes Intelligence?

The Void Born trait that does that only works for abilities, not skill checks. The forge world trait that lets you use Int for Commerce, Persuade, and Coerce is absolutely crazy on an Operative, though. (It's possible to have every lore and social skill besides carouse at 50+, with some of them above 70, before finishing the tutorial.)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack Trades posted:

Also, is there respeccing?

Yes, when you get your ship.

Talk to your High Factotum. He also lets you hire custom NPC:s
Respeccing in this game is limited in that all your backgrounds and first class choice remain same, but you can otherwise re-choose everything.

So my Rogue Trader stays Voidborn Noble Leader, but I can re-choose the 2nd tier class and all the abilities, skills and stat improvements.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The Void Born trait that does that only works for abilities, not skill checks. The forge world trait that lets you use Int for Commerce, Persuade, and Coerce is absolutely crazy on an Operative, though. (It's possible to have every lore and social skill besides carouse at 50+, with some of them above 70, before finishing the tutorial.)
Huh, I was thinking about some kind of build that is a bit more active than your character just giving buffs and orders to your teammates and this feels like an interesting all-round solution.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SirFozzie posted:

Man, when you get to heroic moments you can do some crazy bullshit.

in the fight to Rescue the tortured Mechano-Priest, Abelard...

1) Ran to one enemy
2) Chopped him down with a strike
3) Charged another enemy, taking him down
4) Activated Heroic Moment
5) Ran to another enemy
6) Took him down.
7 + 8, Repeated steps 5 and 6
9) Ran into a clump of three enemies.
10) Took down three of them with one cleave.

I was like "Oh, poo poo I shouldn't have started that fight that way", but in one turn he took out like six or seven cultists and then got one more when they tried to move out of his threatened zone. It was some wuxia movie poo poo where he just chopped EVERYTHING down in his path.

Abby-don the Battlegrandpa is unstoppable.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

deep dish peat moss posted:

I only play on normal, so I can't speak to higher difficulties. For me she started to shine when I gave her a flamer as secondary weapon. With flamer mastery she can use the flame area attack -> run and gun -> another flame area attack in one turn, which tears through chaff enemies that like to clump. That lets you get your "Revel in Slaughter" stacks up, which boosts your ballistic skill to the point where your bolter bursts become rather accurate, as well as giving you loads of momentum. She has become my main combat opener at this point, place her up front, feed her an extra turn with Cassi immediately and start torching heretics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Buschmaki posted:

Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

I never really liked stupid runs in RPGs. Just couldn't get into them. Like the Chaos uprising in Act 1. Good job morons, you accomplished a very photogenic suicide as a I Exterminatus the planet you are on. That'll show me.