Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JediTalentAgent posted:

edit: Ronan also feels like you have a problem with having both he and Teyla filling the role of 'outsider with awesome combat abilities that surpass every Tau'ri and have unique Wraith connections' so I don't know if they wanted to have his character lean more alienated while she was the one who was more sociable with Earth crew.

Teyla just sorta sucking as a character didn't help. Also I don't usually like to blame actors for badly written characters, as like you don't know how they were directed and where do you even start as an actor making a character work at all when your given nothing and what not, but yeah while the character as written would never be great, always got the feeling a different actor could of at least not make the character feel as bland. Like at least brought something to the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I liked Momoa as Ronan. His rough acting felt like it matched up to him being a fish out of water on Atlantis. I think he made the awkward "I don't know what i'm doing" acting work for the "I don't know what i'm doing" character.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Teal'c fitting in well at the Game of the Year awards

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

how has MGM so massively failed the franchise to the degree it's been basically dead for over a decade

this continues to baffle the poo poo out of me.

Just started SG1 with some friends and it's amazing how this throw-away trash tier series on Showcase with a whole 1/30th of X-Files viewership ends up having such a vibrant and fun atmosphere almost immediately.

and a lot of re-used music good lord lol

(It's not my first time. I told them to keep tabs on Walter's hairline.)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Dude always kills it at the Game Awards, this was him there in 2018:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

"I’m not going to stand up here, making long speeches. I’m going to stick to the script. No eight-minute speech like last year," Judge said, referencing the 2022 award ceremony when he won Best Performance for his role as Kratos in God of War Ragnarok. "But fun fact, my speech was actually longer than this year’s Call of Duty campaign," he added.

Teal'c fuckin' dunked on COD yesterday, I had no idea lol.

The COD devs are super salty.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It took him regrowing his hair for me to realise how huge Teal'c's head is

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’s so loving cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I loved that you can view all of SG-1 as Teal'c's story, and the liberation of the Jaffa.

He should be one of the, if not the, biggest heroes in Jaffa history.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And it's only because he's too humble to lead that the Jaffa politics can become a major part of the story, for better or worse.

Well, that and/or he recognizes leadership isn't really in his skillset outside of the specific circumstances where he's the only one with the experience to pull it off.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 9, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

such a cool dude

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
:perfect:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did you make that??

It's incredible. I see the whole team!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

Did you make that??

It's incredible. I see the whole team!

I did not make that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I did not make that.

Well, thank you for sharing. It's wonderful!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
im disappointed we got daniel back and immediatly lost jonas. i was hoping we were going to have both of them. they seem to be setting up baal as the new big bad while i assume anubis rebuilds. i also like that anubis finally got a win i feel like for bad guys to be a threat they need to win sometimes. something apothsis rarely did sokkar literally never did and from the point anubis revealed himself kind of didnt. yeah the thor brain down load was kind of a win as was the jonas brain down load but the real win was baiting daniel into using his powers knowing what would happen then going back on his deal but what was with his prime kneeling when daniel came in as an ancient

also im in season 7. they have started talking about what i think will eventually be atlantis is there a point between seasons i should watch any of those movies?

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 10, 2023

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Ark of Truth takes place after SG-1 ends, and Continuum takes place after the Atlantis Season 5 premiere.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

What episodes early on (Or series wide) should I consider reasonable to pass on as I series-watch with my friends?
We're not really completionist about it, so I want to cut out any trash should it exist.

It's been way too long for me to remember, none stand out in my memory.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SRQ posted:

What episodes early on (Or series wide) should I consider reasonable to pass on as I series-watch with my friends?
We're not really completionist about it, so I want to cut out any trash should it exist.

ignore code of honor

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

SRQ posted:

theres two in s1 emancipation and the first commandment .so far the rest all the way through s7 havent been bad at all theres some mediocre ones but most are good to great.

snergle fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 10, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah we're doing a rewatch now, other than emancipation which is a stinker but ultimately not that bad, there's none that are really that bad. Mayyybe the clip show towards the end of Season 1 if you've seen it before and know who Kinsey is.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lmao too late we did all of those.

we had quite a giggle when it was pointed out by someone googling that code of honour and emancipation were written by the same person.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

snergle posted:

im disappointed we got daniel back and immediatly lost jonas. i was hoping we were going to have both of them. they seem to be setting up baal as the new big bad while i assume anubis rebuilds. i also like that anubis finally got a win i feel like for bad guys to be a threat they need to win sometimes. something apothsis rarely did sokkar literally never did and from the point anubis revealed himself kind of didnt. yeah the thor brain down load was kind of a win as was the jonas brain down load but the real win was baiting daniel into using his powers knowing what would happen then going back on his deal but what was with his prime kneeling when daniel came in as an ancient

also im in season 7. they have started talking about what i think will eventually be atlantis is there a point between seasons i should watch any of those movies?

You definitely don't need to watch Atlantis as part of SG-1 - there's one two parter where they go off to Atlantis, but that's it.

Ark of Truth is the end to the SG-1 storyline for all intents and purposes, then Continuum is a bit of a one off.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm halfway through Ark of Truth, and it really strikes me that one of the most annoying things throughout the entire show once SG-1's standard loadout switches to the P90 is that with very few exceptions they keep the P90s on full auto for no good reason. It's a short bullpup rifle that is only technically an SMG because it uses pistol ammo, but that pistol ammunition is armor-piercing, even moreso when leaving a barrel twice as long as the pistol (which was never used in the show as far as I'm aware)! Stop wasting ammunition! You've got 50 shots per magazine, maybe put them on target so you don't have to reload as often, which is the whole point of having a 50 round magazine?

Ark of Truth spoiler: yes obviously you switch to full-auto against replicators since you're not carrying shotguns

The most notable instance of the P90's capability in semi-auto in the show is, of course, the second P90 demonstration in S05E18 - Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

(Apparently the Five-seveN was used in season 3 of Continuum so there's almost a connection)

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 10, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's especially an issue with Atlantis which I know I'm not the first to bring up. Not counting shotguns and explosives, they had to have brought at least 6 different types of ammunition:

HK MP7 (4.6mm)
Colt M4, variants thereof, HK G36K, Norinco Type 97, various machine guns (5.56mm)
FN P90 (5.7mm)
Beretta 92FS (9mm)
Sheppard's special .45 (11.43mm)
M2 Browning .50 (12.7mm)

If nothing else, they should have dropped the MP7s, Beretta M9s, and Sheppard's special boy .45 entirely to be practical and just use P90s and Five-seveNs! Now you just need 5.56, 5.7, and .50! The P90 magazines hold 50 rounds, the Five-seveN magazines hold 20! You basically get to freely ignore the "hey what is this, the 80s? how come they ain't reloading" complaints!

Belgium is never explicitly stated to be party to the IOA etc though so maybe that was the issue.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 10, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Probably last bit for the night: in The Ark of Truth the Doci is torturing Tomin with a chant: "enim lupin purnum pravus intus." This translates directly from Latin as "for the wolf is wicked inside." at least according to machine translation.

Just chanting a sentence fragment that doesn't really make much sense in context. Spot on for the Priors, I suppose.

/e: oh hey they load up MGs and shotguns in the scene immediately after lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lol this guy ammos.

Is this lack of verisimilitude confined to the Ark of Truth and SGA, or is it throughout all the shows?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I can't speak to Universe because I haven't gotten to it yet on this rewatch, but it's certainly consistent once they switch from MP5s in SG-1 S04E08 ("The First Ones", the first one with Chaka)

/e: The Milky Way humans in Universe have:

HK UMP 45 (which they use the same firing sound effect as the P90 for apparently) and Para-Ordnance P-14 which is also a .45
HK G36K, M4 (5.56mm)
Beretta M9 (9mm)
Browning M2 (.50)

So, way better.

It's perfectly fine for SG teams to have a bunch of diversity in ammo types because they're presumably going to get to restock pretty easily, it's an issue for the Atlantis expedition because they didn't have any expectation for restock. That said, the imfdb page for Stargate SG-1 is split up by season so I'm not gonna delve into all the ammo types used by SG teams off-planet now. Maybe tomorrow.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 10, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gently caress, i'm watching the start of Atlantis S4 and the city is moving in a real dumb way compared to how it should be lmao

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

EvilHawk posted:

You definitely don't need to watch Atlantis as part of SG-1 - there's one two parter where they go off to Atlantis, but that's it.

Ark of Truth is the end to the SG-1 storyline for all intents and purposes, then Continuum is a bit of a one off.

thanks. i think im going to finish out sg1 check out the movies then decide on atlantis.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

thanks. i think im going to finish out sg1 check out the movies then decide on atlantis.

I just started Atlantis Season 3 and my opinion is it's clearly not as good as SG1, but it's still good and fun, and itches that Stargate itch. Plus there's lots of crossovers with SG1, so you'll get more of them as well.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah I skipped both Emancipation and the Broca Divide on a watch with my one partner because like those are poo poo episodes that are barely redeemable.

The thing that gnaws at me about Emancipation is they only do non-Ancient Egyptian culture a handful of times until the Ori show up, and on top of that it's really, really rare to see Mongol (Mongolian? I'm not sure of the proper term ahh) culture represented in this kind of show. All of the ingredients for a really good, quiet episode of SG-1 are there, and it bugs the hell out of me.

The Broca Divide had an interesting concept and at least one good part but the rest is pure trash.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked them all, even the ones recognized as bad. I liked The Broca Divide - Greek culture out there, interesting.
I truly don't think there are any truly bad episodes. Sure there's some not as good as the rest, but out and out bad?

I am easily entertained though, so...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
For some reason I really hate "A Matter of Time" the black hole episode.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think the series finale of SG1 is on the level of All Good Things and I don't know why people sass it.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

alexandriao posted:

they only do non-Ancient Egyptian culture a handful of times until the Ori show up
I wouldn't say that at all. It's mostly generic European medieval stuff because white people, and considering they shot the series in the same patch of BC they even made the more Middle Eastern gods' worlds look coniferous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Leandros posted:

I wouldn't say that at all. It's mostly generic European medieval stuff because white people, and considering they shot the series in the same patch of BC they even made the more Middle Eastern gods' worlds look coniferous.

Yeah the Asgard are there season 1. Greeks. Mayans (Hathor was found in Central America).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They even had celtic culture represnted with the Hebridians and the Volians