Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Bill Gates has alot to answer for

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

the typing is secondary, its so that pc gamers can more easily type n words in multiplayer games

Apple gamer always lose

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Paper Tiger posted:

It is kinda messed up that keyboard and mouse lets you be precise with looking but not with moving, and controller lets you be precise with moving but not with looking. There should be a way that lets you be precise with both at the same time!

:smaug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I have that!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Best controller for soulslikes, hands down

Track pads suck for FPS aiming*, but they're great for third person camera control.

*still leagues better than an analog stick though lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Paper Tiger posted:

It is kinda messed up that keyboard and mouse lets you be precise with looking but not with moving, and controller lets you be precise with moving but not with looking. There should be a way that lets you be precise with both at the same time!

there was

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

Best controller for soulslikes, hands down

Track pads suck for FPS aiming*, but they're great for third person camera control.

when will they make another one based on steam deck hardware
and with a dpad

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

galagazombie posted:

Using a keyboard for games instead of a controller is like using a typewriter instead of a steering wheel to drive a car.

I'd play Mavis Beacon Teaches Driving

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

trackpads are completely unusable for aiming in an fps

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Gyro+stick is the only good aiming input for a controller. Stick handles the big fast movements, gyro for fine aiming.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've softened a lot on controllers thanks to this thread convincing me to try them for Elden Ring, but I still feel a little spark of anger every time I go to precise aim with a bow and have to use the analogue sticks. If I'm in a situation where my target is shooting back I find it almost impossible because of how long it takes me to line up a shot.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

trackpads are completely unusable for aiming in an fps

As I said

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Using a gamepad to play text adventures.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think some idiots here need to watch Minority Report before giving dumb opinions on controllers.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I've softened a lot on controllers thanks to this thread convincing me to try them for Elden Ring, but I still feel a little spark of anger every time I go to precise aim with a bow and have to use the analogue sticks. If I'm in a situation where my target is shooting back I find it almost impossible because of how long it takes me to line up a shot.

Tbf archery is always just straight up rear end in Souls games compared to anything else. It's passable for pulling and at best halfway decent if you use great bows with lockon for gimmick shotgun builds.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

the typing is secondary, its so that pc gamers can more easily type n words in multiplayer games

It's true, I love typing "Nice job!" and "Never give up, you can do it!" Or sometimes "Need a hand? "

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The best GTA game is the one with multiple unique cities, and multiple playable characters, of which one or more are women.

That’s right. GTA 1.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

concern.jpg

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I was right to be concerned and also y'know the prompt said EXAMINE the painting not fuckin TOUCH IT

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ahaha theres like a hundred of them wtf am i supposed to do

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

emSparkly posted:

The best GTA game is the one with multiple unique cities, and multiple playable characters, of which one or more are women.

That’s right. GTA 1.

:bisonyes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
TBH a lot of you are telling on yourselves by wanting to be the "controller" of your video game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It's true, I love typing "Nice job!" and "Never give up, you can do it!" Or sometimes "Need a hand? "

I always type "posture check" because everyone starts thanking me and I can kill them while they're typing

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
No one can name a video game sequel that's better than the original tbh it's impossible

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Private Cumshoe posted:

No one can name a video game sequel that's better than the original tbh it's impossible

morrowind

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Private Cumshoe posted:

Orcs Must Die 2 was better than the original, unquestionably true

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Assassin's Creed 2 was a pretty good game, whereas Assassin's Creed was dogshit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I can think of several game series where the second game in the series is better than both the first and third, such as Just Cause, Payday, and Baldur's Gate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ymgve posted:

morrowind

Skyrim. But then the bar was so low

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Private Cumshoe posted:

Back in the early days of gaming rapid technological improvement meant sequels were often leaps and bounds above their predecessors, just look at Pacman vs. Pacman 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ms Pac Man is way better than Pac Man

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

found the bullshit in Dark Souls it's the wheel guys in corridors that are too narrow to dodge them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wheel guys put too many smiles on my face to call them bullshit. I feel your pain, but look at em. They're having the time of their lives. If you could travel that way in the games or life, you would too.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Wheel guys put too many smiles on my face to call them bullshit. I feel your pain, but look at em. They're having the time of their lives. If you could travel that way in the games or life, you would too.

It's true, I should just give the little dudes a break.

I killed the boss but I feel kind of bad about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The wheel guys in From games after Dark Souls are massively nerfed, which kind of ruins them. If they're not complete bullshit then what's even the point?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

They probably deserved it for being a halfbread.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Did you cut the tail?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

itry posted:

Did you cut the tail?

no, I could do that? Seems cruel.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao that's on you, she says she doesn't want to fight you; the fight's optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

no, I could do that? Seems cruel.

She counts as a dragon and all dragons have weapons if you chop their tail off. Also you're a monster for attacking the big fuzzy dragon lady.