Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I ever do another run after this one I am 100 percent just editing a savegame or something because I've now run through the starting chapters way too many times and I just wanna get to void combat and flying around without being pushed in one direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I spent a lot of the pre-release worried that I'll miss Argenta by going heretic, but I managed to replace her pretty easily with aggressive Cassia.

My team right now (about to finish the final system) is me the Voidborn nobel officer sniper, Cassia the room killer, Abelord the angry melee man, Henrix the psychic buffer melee man, Pasqual the plasma gun toting debuffer and Idiria who is also here.

I guess I'll replace Idiria with the elder lady and use her as a sniper for killing off single targets later.

Also for anyone who played a bit longer is the inferno pistol you get from embracing chaos in the tutorial any good once you can use it? It requires heretic level 2 to wield which I haven't reached yet.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 9, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Who else is goin Chaos (the good guys) for their first playthrough?

I've been picking the Heretical options when given them, if that's what you're asking. On a related note, (still early on) I'm guessing this Blade I picked up becomes more than just an inventory slot waster?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Now that this has been out for a couple of days, what's the view on the bug situation? I'm definitely going to play it at some point, it's just a question of whether I do it now or wait six months...

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Zephro posted:

Now that this has been out for a couple of days, what's the view on the bug situation? I'm definitely going to play it at some point, it's just a question of whether I do it now or wait six months...

On day 1 I was getting lots of CTDs. However had no issues at all yesterday.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah for people asking about Argenta being tough to use: Officer abilities make all things possible.

I also really recommend swift slaughter as it really improves the rate you can up her ballistic skill and crit chance mid fight.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 9, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is that the one that makes it usable after 2 kills? That's what I grabbed too, then in the next combat my main PC almost immediately got Merced by a Lasgun or some poo poo lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
LOL if you are an iconoclast one of the colony upgrades is almost word for word: "Guys stop being dicks to the servitors."

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
What are everyone's thoughts on the advanced archetypes. I ended up retraining out of Grand Strategist because the zones were annoying to place and Master tactician seems to add more naturally on top of the officer archetype.
I went Archmilitant on Argenta but I'm thinking of retraining as well because it seems designed to encourage switching between melee and ranged as much as possible but I've built Argenta to be pretty much exclusively ranged, since I usually have at least Abelard or Heinrix with me as frontliners. Vanguard seems to be working out pretty well for Abelard.
Took Bounty Hunter on Pasqal, which seems alright if you're using him as a melee, Assassin on Heinrix and Idira also hasn't been bad so far.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Sab669 posted:

Is that the one that makes it usable after 2 kills? That's what I grabbed too, then in the next combat my main PC almost immediately got Merced by a Lasgun or some poo poo lol

That's Revel in Slaughter

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Revel in Slaughter takes three kills per activation but there is a perk to make it two.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Clerical Terrors posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the advanced archetypes. I ended up retraining out of Grand Strategist because the zones were annoying to place and Master tactician seems to add more naturally on top of the officer archetype.
I went Archmilitant on Argenta but I'm thinking of retraining as well because it seems designed to encourage switching between melee and ranged as much as possible but I've built Argenta to be pretty much exclusively ranged, since I usually have at least Abelard or Heinrix with me as frontliners. Vanguard seems to be working out pretty well for Abelard.
Took Bounty Hunter on Pasqal, which seems alright if you're using him as a melee, Assassin on Heinrix and Idira also hasn't been bad so far.

Grand Strategist gives you a guaranteed first activation — I have that on Pasqal and Cassia almost more for ensuring they activate first and give everyone joint analysis + Cassia’s forced movement nukes to debuff and potentially kill a bunch of people. I’m not really worried about taking archetype abilities with Cassia, since the Navigator stuff is absurd, so just having her buff Pasqal’s zones by letting the buffs work off the best of both their stats is great.

Arch-Militant also builds stacks if you swap between types of shots (single, burst, and pretty sure AoE) so even as pure ranged Argenta will get a ton of value.

I haven’t really felt like Bounty Hunter or Master Tactician really add much, but that’s probably more down to my playstyle being “Cassia dominates the battlefield, MC and Abelard sweep in melee, everyone else snipes and trades buffs.” I’ll see how things look once I have act 2 recruits available.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah for people asking about Argenta being tough to use: Officer abilities make all things possible.

I also really recommend swift slaughter as it really improves the rate you can up her ballistic skill and crit chance mid fight.

:eyepop:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I ended this fight with 130 ballistic skill, so she was pretty much auto hitting every burst shot, ignoring recoil.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The advancement screen is just amazing UX work in this game. One screen let's you filter abiliies by your class/background etc but other don't. Also the recommendations for upgrades to take all seemed designed to make your character worse. Should a psyker take psyker talents? No Ballistic skill upgrade please.

I feel sorry for someone not scrolling through the 50 options every level and just thinking the recommended ones will be good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The advancement screen is just amazing UX work in this game. One screen let's you filter abiliies by your class/background etc but other don't. Also the recommendations for upgrades to take all seemed designed to make your character worse. Should a psyker take psyker talents? No Ballistic skill upgrade please.

I feel sorry for someone not scrolling through the 50 options every level and just thinking the recommended ones will be good.

It's probably something they farmed out to an intern or lowest level priority. I doubt they did too much to adjust it beyond "good for archetype" and ignored the homeworld/origin stuff.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Officer is really fantastic, it feels like a genuine achievement that the game can make playing a support character feel so fun, impactful and appropriate for a PC.

I just completed Janus and I'm 99% certain that none of that storyline made any sense. In any case, great job rooting out the Slaanesh corruption, Yrlieth. Amazing detective skills there. Having a great time though.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

That's unfortunate to hear.
Is there a good place to figure out what level up options are not poo poo?

I was using guides for tabletop Pathfinder when I played earlier Owlcat games but I don't know if the same would be viable for this game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at the colonization stuff and Janus kind of sucks. It does hardly anything for itself in terms of improvement It makes less money than the other colonies and it makes less stuff. Considering all the horrible things going on there it kind of makes sense I guess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm struggling to get much use out of operatives. I assume they get more useful as enemies get stronger?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I was using guides for tabletop Pathfinder when I played earlier Owlcat games but I don't know if the same would be viable for this game.

Hasn't really been enough time for the beta guides to be updated for full release, but you can probably get a feel for what other folks think are good picks from that. That's what I've done--skimmed them to see what the number fucklers who play unfair like, then keep those in mind and why those choices were picked.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
So every time I kill something the game slows to a crawl until its death animation is finished. Is this normal or what.

Game's great though, I love 40K stories and being a space rear end in a top hat is totally my bag so this was made for me. Other than some absent dialogue and a weird thing that only happened once with my team exploding when Idira tried to brain scream someone, I've been pretty bug free.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

boneration posted:

So every time I kill something the game slows to a crawl until its death animation is finished. Is this normal or what.

I think it's supposed to be slowmotion but for some reason it looks really low framerate.
It's not actually lagging, but I don't know why they implemented slowmo in such a weird manner.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I have found something that half answers my "can you grind" question

repeatable fights with daemons on unsafe warp routes as random encounters, starting in Act 2. Not sure whether they have loot, but it's at least repeatable XP.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow Walk by a dude staring at a servitor In football and the citizen just says "father?"

Rough

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Don't forget that you can hire mercs from the merchant factor, so even if you go a way that causes people to leave you can fill their slot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Hasn't really been enough time for the beta guides to be updated for full release, but you can probably get a feel for what other folks think are good picks from that. That's what I've done--skimmed them to see what the number fucklers who play unfair like, then keep those in mind and why those choices were picked.

I think you can play on normal mode easy enough just going through and learning the game system. Cover will matter a lot despite it seeming like half cover is pretty much useless when enemies are firing, almost like their las weapon -dodge% is effecting the cover instead.

SirFozzie posted:

Don't forget that you can hire mercs from the Vox Master, so even if you go a way that causes people to leave you can fill their slot.

You are limited in only making the same builds you can make for yourself in character creator. I would hope Cassia and Pasqual don't leave regardless as they are kind of impossible to remake, her having the special Navi powers and him being a perfect INT skill monkey.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are timers a thing here? Do I need to care about wasting days?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Are timers a thing here? Do I need to care about wasting days?

Seems to be solely order of visiting things now

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Am I missing something about this hallway in the reactor? Multiple electric traps that basically ace my team whenever we move (even after I found the “special access” buff), two fuckin’ chaos demons, and a bunch of little gunners.

Brutal. I’m sure there’s some gimmick I missed but I looked over the whole place and I can’t see it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Seems to be solely order of visiting things now

Does that mean visiting certain places then locks you out? I know about the starting planet in Act 1 but nothing else except the Act 3 start mission am I aware of gating anything else.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

frajaq posted:

what...what kind of monster would pick a dialogue option like this?!?
Probably someone who played a darkside Sith inquisitor in SWTOR.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Has anyone else been soft-locked in combat? As in can't do any actions, move or even end turn. It's happened to me a few times now and it's getting annoying.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Double Bill posted:

Has anyone else been soft-locked in combat? As in can't do any actions, move or even end turn. It's happened to me a few times now and it's getting annoying.

I had bit where I couldn't walk in certain directions for not apparent reason but nothing like that so far

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

frajaq posted:

what...what kind of monster would pick a dialogue option like this?!?

Someone who knows the value of their time. You're an officer in service of the God-Emperor, entrusted with the fate of thousands of souls. So start acting like it!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

It's a bit dizzying. I've got a Crime Lord, Void Born Operative and levelling up I have 92 options to choose from on the talent list. And it's just a big ole flat list so if I want Sniper Expertise I need Perfect Spot for that, but it's not an Archetype Talent so I need to search through the big ole list. The list is not sorted alphabetically and cannot be searched..

I'm looking and I don't seem to be able to get Perfect Spot so maybe that Talent is locked for me forever?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

It's a bit dizzying. I've got a Crime Lord, Void Born Operative and levelling up I have 92 options to choose from on the talent list. And it's just a big ole flat list so if I want Sniper Expertise I need Perfect Spot for that, but it's not an Archetype Talent so I need to search through the big ole list. The list is not sorted alphabetically and cannot be searched..

I'm looking and I don't seem to be able to get Perfect Spot so maybe that Talent is locked for me forever?

you can sort categories from the tabs up top

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pathfinder games also had the feature where your party members would help you with skill checks during events, but they would also have certain checks targeted specifically against the player character when it made sense, but this game for some reason always uses your best party member for the checks, even if what's happening supposed to involve the PC specifically.

I guess it's good for power gamers but I feel like the roleplaying aspect suffers a bit from that.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Is anyone else just constantly walking around with injuries on everyone? How am I supposed to remove these if I can't get back to the ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok why did they overtune the fight in the Drifting Voidship? I just spent upwards of 10 minutes and didn't manage to take down a single enemy because the loudhailers keeps giving things temp wounds and I can't take them down fast enough with all these other mobs in the way.