Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's something in the internet water that has people convinced that other nations don't hate immigrants even more than the US and it's the guiltiest feeling of schadenfreude when you see them find out

I love when I occasionally see people say they're going to move to China and become a PRC citizen and uh. Good luck with that.

Becoming a naturalized Chinese citizen is effectively impossible, there are ~1,500 of them. Not per year, total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I love when I occasionally see people say they're going to move to China and become a PRC citizen and uh. Good luck with that.

Becoming a naturalized Chinese citizen is effectively impossible, there are ~1,500 of them. Not per year, total.

makes you wonder what the gently caress they did to get it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Natty Ninefingers posted:

makes you wonder what the gently caress they did to get it.

Which again reminds me of a client of my company who no-poo poo owns a gold plated AK which was gifted to him by the Chinese govt. Whoever he is, he has friends.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some of them are olds, the PRC gave out a couple thousand citizenships to assorted foreign fellow travelers in the post-revolutionary period. I think to this day that's still the majority of all naturalizations in PRC history. Nowadays a non-trivial number are athletes who get recruited to be on China's international sports teams and need to be given Chinese citizenship to qualify.

Other than that I have no idea. You can apply for citizenship if you're a permanent resident, they're just not going to give it to you unless ???

Permanent residency is pretty difficult to get though far more possible. Also "permanent" means 10 years.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 7, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which again reminds me of a client of my company who no-poo poo owns a gold plated AK which was gifted to him by the Chinese govt. Whoever he is, he has friends.

Im assuming our govt gave him the wooden tommy gun

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You shouldn't have. The exemption changes yearly based on inflation but it's been six figures for a while. You can choose to not take the exemption if you want to pay taxes for some reason. Only people I knew in Asia who paid US taxes were engineers.

E: Maybe there's some sort of "gently caress Egypt in particular" exemption for the tax home thing? The IRS site seems pretty clear that if you're working abroad for a full year and making under $120,000 you don't have to pay income tax.

Not trying to dig at you or anything, it's the past so doesn't matter. Just much different than my expat experience and, as far as I can tell, what the IRS says.

You'll still need to pay income tax on any non-foreign earnings. This includes interest income and capital gains on investments. Americans retiring overseas, for example, will pay income taxes on their 401k distributions.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Lots of states have dual taxation treaties that basically stipulate "if you are a citizen/permanent resident of both, you may deduct your taxes paid to one from your tax liability to the other".

Correct, but in practice it still means filing US and state tax returns and paying an accountant a lot of money to do it. I live in a high-tax country so I always have no US tax burden on my foreign income, but I still have to pay an accountant like $1000 each year to fill out reams of paperwork.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 7, 2023

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Im assuming our govt gave him the wooden tommy gun

Who gave him the Rem Oil?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I regret to inform you that you may need to Google the Tamil Tigers.

I thought i laid it on too thick, not not thick enough. :v: I've got a lot of friends there and indeed almost ended up living there for a while / a long while (well okay, the economic apocalypse that just happened would have put a crimp in those plans), and while the morality of the government's military decisions does not weigh greatly on my choice of where to live, I'm pretty familiar with the (publicly or semipublicly known) poo poo that happened during the civil war. Particularly at the end.

in fact one of my acquaintances was an artillery guy involved in the "there is a village in these map squares and we would like it to not be there anymore" tier of war crimes

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 8, 2023

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I thought i laid it on too thick, not not thick enough. :v: I've got a lot of friends there and indeed almost ended up living there for a while / a long while (well okay, the economic apocalypse that just happened would have put a crimp in those plans), and while the morality of the government's military decisions does not weigh greatly on my choice of where to live, I'm pretty familiar with the (publicly or semipublicly known) poo poo that happened during the civil war. Particularly at the end.

in fact one of my acquaintances was an artillery guy involved in the "there is a village in these map squares and we would like it to not be there anymore" tier of war crimes

are you bragging about being friends with a war criminal?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PookBear posted:

Something something without sin something something cast the first stone

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PookBear posted:

he said acquaintance, so i assume its just some wild poo poo that came out over drinks and dude could have been like

when he heard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PookBear posted:

nah the SL military is/was a loving mess, if anything I feel pretty comfortable judging this guy as civil war participants go

end of the civil war was way the poo poo nastier than it needed to be, something like 40k dead civilians killed by the federal military, maybe more if there are some unmarked mass graves nobody ever found. for fun times ask people their opinions of the previous president who oversaw that as defense minister

I mean, their opinions would be worse these days because he flubbed the economy, but the Rajapaksas still have the "well, i don't agree with all of their tactics but they did end the civil war" shine among a big chunk of the population

TheWeedNumber posted:

he said acquaintance, so i assume its just some wild poo poo that came out over drinks and dude could have been like

when he heard.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2023

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They also gave him the in-shot can of gold spraypaint, haha

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/08/1218332312/israel-hamas-war-us-ceasefire-veto-un

So much for "sending a signal"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
oops i seem to have dropped the foreign policy ball why does this keep happening.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The signal was 'keep going', sorry. Easy mistake to make.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I somehow missed the fact that the Biden administration has basically allowed Bibi and the rest of his murderous government to do whatever they want but Trump is literally anti-Netenyahu and has zero issue being open about it. Amazing.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-netanyahu-impeached-israel-hamas-war-1234852888/amp/

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BUUNNI posted:

I somehow missed the fact that the Biden administration has basically allowed Bibi and the rest of his murderous government to do whatever they want but Trump is literally anti-Netenyahu and has zero issue being open about it. Amazing.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/trump-netanyahu-impeached-israel-hamas-war-1234852888/amp/

Being anti-netanyahu doesnt mean hed do a thing to restrain Israel. Quite the opposite. Trump sucks rear end and you dont gotta hand it to him.

"Trump has relayed a few ideas he has discussed with policy advisers — including cutting off all aid to Palestinians and encouraging other nations to do the same, as well as capturing and extraditing certain Hamas figures"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The only thing I imagine Trump doing to bibi is threatening to jam a stick in the spokes unless he got a slice of the action. And then probably the worst scenario happens with Erik Prince murder squads just literally wiping out every man woman and child, but Trump gets 10% of the contract gross.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

OctaMurk posted:

Being anti-netanyahu doesnt mean hed do a thing to restrain Israel. Quite the opposite. Trump sucks rear end and you dont gotta hand it to him.

"Trump has relayed a few ideas he has discussed with policy advisers — including cutting off all aid to Palestinians and encouraging other nations to do the same, as well as capturing and extraditing certain Hamas figures"

True, but it’d be funny if Netenyahu gets removed from power and Likud loses its grip on the government as a result. Yea Palestinians losing the whole truckload of aid we kindly provide them after giving Israel billions in bombs and weapons would be pretty sad I guess but taking out Bibi would be a good thing.

It’s not like the Biden administration is doing anything meaningful to restrain Israel either way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Donald the Dove narratives in 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Tiny Timbs posted:

Donald the Dove narratives in 2023

Compared to Biden’s blood gargling Zionism anyone’s a dove

E: I’m not saying Trump is a good guy by any means, btw. Just pointing out how low the bar is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Yea Palestinians losing the whole truckload of aid we kindly provide them after giving Israel billions in bombs and weapons would be pretty sad I guess but taking out Bibi would be a good thing.

You cannot be serious. You're saying it's OK to cut off the aid which is basically the only thing keeping a lot of people alive just so long as Bibi is gone?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You cannot be serious. You're saying it's OK to cut off the aid which is basically the only thing keeping a lot of people alive just so long as Bibi is gone?

I think we’re giving Israel more far more weapons compared to the paltry amount of aid we are sending the Palestinians. Reminder that all those supplies we send to Gaza also has to be approved and inspected by Israel first, so most of it isn’t even delivered on time.

What a hosed up situation the US has created.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

OctaMurk posted:

Trump will say any dumb poo poo that rolls through his decaying pumpkin of a head at any given moment, but the only thing that he consistently will actually do is whatever allows him to grift some money.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I think we’re giving Israel more far more weapons compared to the paltry amount of aid we are sending the Palestinians. Reminder that all those supplies we send to Gaza also has to be approved and inspected by Israel first, so most of it isn’t even delivered on time.

What a hosed up situation the US has created.

I was going to respond, but I see you managed to get yourself banned from loving d&d, so I'm kindly asking you not to bring your bullshit here instead

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was going to respond, but I see you managed to get yourself banned from loving d&d, so I'm kindly asking you not to bring your bullshit here instead

IKs, please do not push buttons on this one as I view it as a public service announcement.

BUUNNI, you did not make anything resembling a reasonable defense to "we shut cut off aid to Gaza."

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

McNally posted:

IKs, please do not push buttons on this one as I view it as a public service announcement.

BUUNNI, you did not make anything resembling a reasonable defense to "we shut cut off aid to Gaza."

I never said "we should cut off aid to gaza" and that would be an unusual thing to say for someone that supports Palestine over the genocidal Zionists.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Also it goes without saying but since the US is the one providing Israel the weapons that cause all that destruction the huge concern over the tiny amount of aid the US is sending rings a bit hollow.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
oh cool we have a main character freak posting here. Terminal CSPAM brain.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Did I misread Buuni posts? Because I'm not seeing what they are being accused of advocating.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bulletsponge13 posted:

Did I misread Buuni posts? Because I'm not seeing what they are being accused of advocating.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bulletsponge13 posted:

US gives aid to Isreal and Palestine. The aid getting to Palestine is dependent on the Isrealis and GOP (I think) so cutting off the Isreali aid would cut off the Palestinian aid or something. Buuni is positing that sending no aid to either is the lesser of two evils. I think?

You're damned whatever position you take if thats correct.

Edit: Oh, also Donald Trump is preferable in this situation cause he would cut off the aid, I forgot that key point. Which is a little.....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

US gives aid to Isreal and Palestine. The aid getting to Palestine is dependent on the Isrealis and GOP (I think) so cutting off the Isreali aid would cut off the Palestinian aid or something. Buuni is positing that sending no aid to either is the lesser of two evils. I think?

You're damned whatever position you take if thats correct.

Edit: Oh, also Donald Trump is preferable in this situation cause he would cut off the aid, I forgot that key point. Which is a little.....

It's also extremely unlikely that the guy who moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem would cut aid to Israel.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

well that problem solved itself

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol christ

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQG7pwnZEw

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 10, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kith posted:

well that problem solved itself

I was so close to asking for a permaban check on that guy but he didn't post in my subforum so welp

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Oh Bunni was a moron freak?! Who could have guessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Oh Bunni was a moron freak?! Who could have guessed

The guy with the regdate of June last year right when the axe was falling on a bunch of 'actually it's good if Russia does a little genocide' ghouls? I am shocked.