Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

also the first time you beat a crucible knight without missing a parry is a good feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Gologle posted:

Bros...it's loving over :(

I don't understand?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

“It’s so loving over” = “gently caress this world” = “a joke employed to exaggerate disappointment in the present and lack of enthusiasm for the future”

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dialhforhero posted:

I don't understand?

People were hoping a dlc trailer was gonna drop at some games expo; it didn’t

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
So I bought dark souls 3 during the steam fall sale, and going through it blind. It’s so good!
Twohanding a claymore, and looking for a bigger weapon. Just beat the first boss (Vordt), not sure how to use the boss soul - going to keep it for now.

Going to try going through it with a STR build just like I did for ER.
I do miss a few things from ER - namely jumping and ashes of war - but the combat feels really good otherwise.
I never would have guessed it, but apparently this is the type of game for me.
I’m giving sekiro a rest for now - will try again after DS3. Maybe I’ll try armored core if it goes on sale?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ds2 is actually really fun too, there's a visuals mod that makes it look a bit nicer if you're on PC. I picked that up on sale and now I'm... Some portion of the way through, I am at earthen peak embracing #poisondlyfe

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
HAVE IT WRIT UPON THY MEAGRE HYPE:

COPED BY FROM SOFTWARE! LOST OF ALL TRAILERS.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dr Cheesequake posted:

So I bought dark souls 3 during the steam fall sale, and going through it blind. It’s so good!
Twohanding a claymore, and looking for a bigger weapon. Just beat the first boss (Vordt), not sure how to use the boss soul - going to keep it for now.

I do miss a few things from ER - namely jumping and ashes of war - but the combat feels really good otherwise.
I’m giving sekiro a rest for now - will try again after DS3. Maybe I’ll try armored core if it goes on sale?

Trade that soul for a big frosty hammer that you can use for most of the rest of the game.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

sebmojo posted:

Ds2 is actually really fun too, there's a visuals mod that makes it look a bit nicer if you're on PC. I picked that up on sale and now I'm... Some portion of the way through, I am at earthen peak embracing #poisondlyfe

Agreed, DS2 is unjustly maligned and despite going a bit overboard on ganks (especially in Scholar NG+ cycles) it’s quite enjoyable to play through.

Though I did cheese my NG+/++ by killing The Rotten sixteen times for my 100% achievements playthrough.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I think of all 3 games, I loved my time with DS2 the most. It was also the only game I actually participated in the PvP.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bloodborne for me, fam.

I’m kind of anxious that when I go back to it for the first time post-ER all the levels might end up feeling profoundly small. Sort of like how you go back to, say, KOTOR, and realize everything is one or two streets away from everything else, it just seemed big at the time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr Cheesequake posted:

The weapons have weapon arts which is nice, but not being able to change them out is a bummer. I just finished DS3 myself and loved it, I highly recommend always checking out what boss souls get you, and when you're able to you'll know. It's no spoiler if you were reading my updates in the CSPAM gaming thread by some weird chance but you get a primo unga bunga weapon REALLY early that can carry you easily through the whole game, I won't say more than that but you probably already know what I'm talking about. It feels very comfortable after ER in a way that DS1 and DS2 don't.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dr Cheesequake posted:

there is an item you get from an early boss that you give to the little guy on one of the thrones at firelink, and then he does boss soul trades

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was scrolling through the Dark Souls 2 wiki, as one does, and I noticed an interesting ring description:

White Ring posted:

A precious ring which grants the protection
of Quella, god of dreams.
Makes its wearer appear as a phantom,
misleading invaders.

He who sets the trap must be wary.
For traps are known to spring upon their owners.

Emphasis mine.

Interesting, given the speculation on Miquella's ties to dreams/sleep in Elden Ring.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ahh, Quella... or some say Miquella...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Annath posted:

I was scrolling through the Dark Souls 2 wiki, as one does, and I noticed an interesting ring description:

Emphasis mine.

Interesting, given the speculation on Miquella's ties to dreams/sleep in Elden Ring.

Dark Souls II 2 confirmed

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Dark Souls II 2 confirmed

Dark Souls II 2: New Genesis v2.0

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
It's Dark Souls references all the way down, isn't it.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Actually it didn’t have Patches, literally unplayable trash.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ElehemEare posted:

Actually it didn’t have Patches, literally unplayable trash.

It had Pateches

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Having gone back to Dark Souls 2 for the first time in ages and also not liking it originally I gotta say it kinda whips rear end. Sick vibes and motifs, and I’m more forgiving of its suckiness than before. Make no mistake, there is plenty of jank and suck but I dig it. If you can mod the visuals to be better then you definitely should.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I was jonesing for more Souls (as I usually am) and decided to play DS2 again as well, as it's been a while. I've played through all the games many times now and every time I revisit DS2 I like it less and less. I know that favorites are subjective, but the game just seems unanimously worse then any of the others in basically every aspect. The controls aren't nearly as smooth as any of the other games because of a lack of granular directional inputs and the really sluggish animations. The visuals are gutted from the developers dropping the complex environmental lighting engine that was seen in early promotional material. The game had tons of development issues and that's reflected in a lot of ways, another being the generally haphazard way you travel from area to area, with only the most tenuous connections both geographically and lorewise. The bosses in the base game are almost entirely forgettable from both a gameplay and contextual perspective. But worst of all it just feels uninspired and lifeless compared to the others, IMO. The DLCs are much better but I don't think it's worth playing through most of the game to access them.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bloodborne for me, fam.

I’m kind of anxious that when I go back to it for the first time post-ER all the levels might end up feeling profoundly small. Sort of like how you go back to, say, KOTOR, and realize everything is one or two streets away from everything else, it just seemed big at the time.

I played Bloodborne in October for the first time since ER dropped and I can safely say that it doesn't feel small now at all. Yharnam itself, just the city portion, is so dense and complex that it still feels grander then Leyndell. It remains their crowning achievement for an urban-type area, imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Electromax posted:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Electromax posted:

Some people call it a Miquella Blade but I call it a Quella blade, and I hit my mother upside the head with it mmmmmhmmm.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Basic Chunnel posted:

Bloodborne for me, fam.

i played bloodborne after er and tbh the level design stands out as very cool and different to the non dungeony parts of ER. I think er is my favourite from game but if it is, bloodborne is second by a bees dick and tbh i could be convinced either way

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Big Bizness posted:

I was jonesing for more Souls (as I usually am) and decided to play DS2 again as well, as it's been a while. I've played through all the games many times now and every time I revisit DS2 I like it less and less. I know that favorites are subjective, but the game just seems unanimously worse then any of the others in basically every aspect. The controls aren't nearly as smooth as any of the other games because of a lack of granular directional inputs and the really sluggish animations. The visuals are gutted from the developers dropping the complex environmental lighting engine that was seen in early promotional material. The game had tons of development issues and that's reflected in a lot of ways, another being the generally haphazard way you travel from area to area, with only the most tenuous connections both geographically and lorewise. The bosses in the base game are almost entirely forgettable from both a gameplay and contextual perspective. But worst of all it just feels uninspired and lifeless compared to the others, IMO. The DLCs are much better but I don't think it's worth playing through most of the game to access them.

I played Bloodborne in October for the first time since ER dropped and I can safely say that it doesn't feel small now at all. Yharnam itself, just the city portion, is so dense and complex that it still feels grander then Leyndell. It remains their crowning achievement for an urban-type area, imo.

The thing about 2 for me is that it sort of feels more like a souls clone like Lords of the Fallen rather than the real thing which is quite damning.

And even then Lies of P probably outclasses it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CommonShore posted:

also the first time you beat a crucible knight without missing a parry is a good feeling

Don’t need parry if sword big enough

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
dark souls 2 feels like demon's souls 2 by way of dark souls. dark souls 3 feels like dark souls 2 by way of bloodborne. elden ring feels like dark souls 2 2 by way of dark souls 3.

e: so I guess that makes elden ring demons souls 5.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

doomfunk posted:

dark souls 2 feels like demon's souls 2 by way of dark souls. dark souls 3 feels like dark souls 2 by way of bloodborne. elden ring feels like dark souls 2 2 by way of dark souls 3.

:hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

doomfunk posted:

That... sounds pretty accurate.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Electromax posted:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

doomfunk posted:

You take that back

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Elden Ring is more like King's Field 9.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The Dark Eldenborn Demon Bloodsouls Ring

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

doomfunk posted:

Can't argue with that

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hour 317 and I found the spot where Patches kicks you off a cliff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

doomfunk posted:

Correct

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Node posted:

yeah you're right

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You take that back

why? it's a statement of praise

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Node posted:

Ultima Underworld 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Hour 317 and I found the spot where Patches kicks you off a cliff.

wait really?