Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man that's such a massive gut punch for Blue Jay fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Well, at least now the Cubs have the money to overpay Cody Bellinger before he reverts to being a 1.7 WAR player.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Mookie, Freddie, Shohei, whatever little patchwork bullshit they pull together as a rotation doesn’t even matter. Sucks to be a Padres fan today :qq:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This is wonderful news. Thank you for not terrorizing the AL East for ten years, Shohei

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mom, can we have Ohtani?
We have Ohtani at home.

Ohtani at (his) home:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Well, at least now the Cubs have the money to overpay Cody Bellinger before he reverts to being a 1.7 WAR player.

they're not going to pay cody. they'll sign or trade for a pitcher and be done with it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
This sucks, I liked rooting for ohtani

Dodgers delenda est

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mcmagic posted:

50ish% chance this ends up being a hilarious shitshow and they never win anything.

lol, and i cannot stress this enough, lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I want to see the deferrals

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Kirios posted:

Yes 😔

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

will be interesting to see how ohtani deals with no longer being universally beloved because his garbage team was never a threat to anyone to being on a team no one wants to win.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

live with fruit posted:

Ohtani also cleared Trout by over $200M. No one else in the history of baseball is getting this much money.

Lol, you say that now. I don't think many people thought A-Rod's quarter of a billion dollar contract would get topped when he first signed it. And the next person to top it was A-Rod 8 years later, lol.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Most non-freaks will learn to love the Dodgers because, come on, look at those guys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Now I wonder which league does the 1 billion dollar deal first.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Intruder posted:

I want to see the deferrals

I'm really hoping the Dodgers enjoy a "Shohei Ohtani Day" like the Mets celebrate "Bobby Bonilla Day"

Let's have holidays where all the athletes get paid decades after they retire

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Monathin posted:

lol, and i cannot stress this enough, lmao

he's been playing with a first ballot hall of famer his entire career and has won jack poo poo....

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, you say that now. I don't think many people thought A-Rod's quarter of a billion dollar contract would get topped when he first signed it. And the next person to top it was A-Rod 8 years later, lol.

Someone will pass $700 million in baseball future but Ohtani is a double unicorn so only he could've gotten this far. Case in point: no one's even passed $500 million before.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

he's been playing with a first ballot hall of famer his entire career and has won jack poo poo....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah but at the same time it is going to be a long rear end time before it is topped given how unique Ohtani is in generating insane cash for the team he is on.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

money isn't real

May I have some

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

DeepDickPizza posted:

Most non-freaks will learn to love the Dodgers because, come on, look at those guys.

:wrong: all normal human beings simply hate the dodgers even more today than yesterday

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

May I have some

money isn't real for major league baseball teams and the people who own them

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Tatsuta Age posted:

:wrong: all normal human beings simply hate the dodgers even more today than yesterday

Sounds like a freak thing to say.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

DeepDickPizza posted:

Sounds like a freak thing to say.

you've already got the Bad Gene if liking the dodgers is a thing your brain can do so girl, bye

fun question: would ohtani have gotten a full on billion if he was exactly the same as he is today, but with 0 tommy johns instead of 2

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

live with fruit posted:

Someone will pass $700 million in baseball future but Ohtani is a double unicorn so only he could've gotten this far. Case in point: no one's even passed $500 million before.

I'm not saying anything to detract from his talent. My point is that inflation is real, the "DO SOMETHING!!!" impulse with GMs and owners is timeless, and somebody is always going to want to push in all the chips to win now. That Ohtani is the guy to do it makes a ton of sense, although Soto is definitely going to come close to that $500m mark next season.

All I'm saying is that there is a very real possibility this mark gets eclipsed within the next 10-20 years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

The cubs would've objectively been the best destination after staying with the Angels. Jays would've been fine. This is just gross.
:ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm glad bawfuls has a cool new friend who is v strong and v real.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gotta say I wasn’t prepared for how enjoyable the mcmagic hate would be today, this is great stuff

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Well, the signing definitely rains on the Juan Soto Pinstripe Parade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ohtani should have flown to toronto to make the announcement, would have been an incredible bit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

Gotta say I wasn’t prepared for how enjoyable the mcmagic hate would be today, this is great stuff

I doubt i'm the only one who thinks this is gross... maybe so. whatever.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mdemone posted:

I'm going to log off and go cry

:sympathy::glomp:

From my early childhood through young adulthood I watched the following folks depart:

Tim Raines
Andrés Galarraga
Tim Wallach
Larry Walker
Moises Alou
Pedro Martinez
Felipe Alou
Vladimir Guerrero
Jose Vidro, Orlando Cabrera, and the entire loving organization

Each farewell sucked more than the previous one, a 15-year death by a thousand cuts.

Hope you are able to find the desire to root for the Angels and/or Ohtani going forward. I doubled down on rooting for the Blue Jays & Pirates after 2004 and... well, yeah.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

ohtani should have flown to toronto to make the announcement, would have been an incredible bit

It definitely would have eclipsed the LeBron James "Who Am I Gonna Sign With?" Holiday Special

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Well, the signing definitely rains on the Juan Soto Pinstripe Parade

not really.. it's a different league.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

R.D. Mangles posted:

If I were a big free agent I would one million percent do this. Just pick whatever city I hate the most, string them along and then troll the gently caress out of them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kirios posted:

No it's fine, none of us got our hopes up, we don't mind, and we're all still planning to buy a lot of tickets to see Canada's Team™ with their... zero improvements or changes. It will be a great season, and I will definitely be tuning in on Rogers Sportsnet! and also,

Gerblederp posted:

Didn’t like baseball anyway

me neither! :smithicide:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

lmao

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

50ish% chance this ends up being a hilarious shitshow and they never win anything.

From your lips to God's ears.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 9, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mcmagic posted:

not really.. it's a different league.

I meant that everybody was talking about that move. Wherever Shohei signed was going to beat it. Still, $700m/10 years is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This isn't the WORST team he could've signed with, objectively, but it's definitely among the least fun.