Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
And the Dodgers will have Buehler back next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1733581210234814469

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lots of people don't understand the time value of money.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

For 700M, I think Roberts could have released a secretly video taped recording of Ohtani's meeting with the Dodgers and it wouldn't have mattered.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There was no way any other team was spending that much.

The flurry of "baseball is broken and must be fixed" articles in response to the huge budget teams first-round exits to the Twins and Reds will be even more panicked than before.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

https://x.com/CJGolson/status/1733581524371407055?s=20

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

all the people who did this in the past week should be hunted for sport

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Good thing that's not true or Cubs fans would probably hunt this guy down and kill him on the street.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

MJeff posted:

Good thing that's not true or Cubs fans would probably hunt this guy down and kill him on the street.

Oh I know, I just love the fact that he went so deep he had to find some bullshittery to backtrack. What a horseshit artist. It's kinda impressive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bartman, Act II

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Also, just in case you wanted to see not only the dumbest but most racist Ohtani tweet:

https://x.com/NFLNotify/status/1733589408605958459?s=20

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm ok with just taking the L on my team not paying $700,000,000.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I think most people should be. They've got a billion dollars committed to Shohei and Mookie.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think most people should be. They've got a billion dollars committed to Shohei and Mookie.

are yall really sitting around and going "man it's great my team is Saving Money" or something, I mean $700m is a lot but I'd risk it for shohei and my team's already one of the more stacked for the next decade in the league lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Also lol when the last year before the deferred money kicks in is wasted because ownership uses it as a Luxury Tax Reset year. It's not like the cable industry is growing anytime soon.

The future of CBA talks etc is telling players that HOFers are making more money than ever, so why not just be literally the best player in the world and make more money. Rewarding select workers with record amounts and then letting labor fight with each other has gotta be the most effective class warfare tactic ever, since even millionaires will fall for it.

That said, saying you intentionally Bobby Bonillad yourself to build a winner seems like the kind of thing the Union should frown upon. God knows they gave A-Rod poo poo for similar ideas.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 9, 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

:rms: Never doubted for a second

Sportswriters humiliating themselves is a nice bonus.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewStoeten/status/1733600274126602690

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Lots of people don't understand the time value of money.

And they all have MBAs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
that's what cubs fans get for trusting anyone but assman for cubs info

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm in LA visiting friends right now. Was just sitting in their backyard in Highland Park and heard a guy scream at the top of his lungs YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH LETS GOOOOOOOOO so someone just heard the news

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tatsuta Age posted:

are yall really sitting around and going "man it's great my team is Saving Money" or something, I mean $700m is a lot but I'd risk it for shohei and my team's already one of the more stacked for the next decade in the league lol

It's more that $700m is a big loving commitment right here and now to a player, even if say 1/2 of that money is deferred. He's a generational talent, especially since he could pitch and hit. He is going to make the team money in ticket and merch sales at the very least. A team like the Dodgers can definitely afford it. I'm a Padres fan, so my team can't (Ballys going under hosed payroll, and handing out money to guys like Hosmer and Bogaerts has always aged like milk). Would I have liked to see Shohei in Padres colors? Hell yeah. But not for $700m.

Time for AJ and Ha-Seong to get Jung Hoo Lee in SD...

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

it's not my money, there exists no amount of money that the cubs could pay a baseball player where i would not be upset that the player had it instead of the ricketts family

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's more that $700m is a big loving commitment right here and now to a player, even if say 1/2 of that money is deferred. He's a generational talent, especially since he could pitch and hit. He is going to make the team money in ticket and merch sales at the very least. A team like the Dodgers can definitely afford it. I'm a Padres fan, so my team can't (Ballys going under hosed payroll, and handing out money to guys like Hosmer and Bogaerts has always aged like milk). Would I have liked to see Shohei in Padres colors? Hell yeah. But not for $700m.

Time for AJ and Ha-Seong to get Jung Hoo Lee in SD...

I get it but there's no instance where what you're saying has happened has actually mattered UNLESS the owners want to use it as a cudgel to get out of spending money, or drawing concessions out of a city/group/whatever. These are all multi billionaires who could spend the money if they really wanted to, don't let them off the hook with this "ahhh yeahhh welllllll, that's just toooo much money" cause it isn't. And again the Dodgers are going to print money with this poo poo, it's an investment, not lost money.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As someone whose team never had a chance to sign Shohei this entire saga has been highly entertaining.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

btw, there is no salary cap in major league baseball

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kirios posted:

As someone whose team never had a chance to sign Shohei this entire saga has been highly entertaining.

Hard same. The Tigers were never ever ever in contention for this so I just wanted him to go wherever he had the highest chance of winning a bunch of rings.

That this whole thing was extremely funny with the fake Toronto flight only adds to it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kirios posted:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Angels are a terrible organization who can't get out of their own way, why wouldn't he go to the Dodgers instead lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Tatsuta Age posted:

And again the Dodgers are going to print money with this poo poo, it's an investment, not lost money.

It's pretty hard to overstate the merchandising value alone of this deal.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Nodoze posted:

The Angels are a terrible organization who can't get out of their own way, why wouldn't he go to the Dodgers instead lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one year of shohei is $5 million more than the five-year total value of the highest contract ever given out by the chicago white sox

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tatsuta Age posted:

I get it but there's no instance where what you're saying has happened has actually mattered UNLESS the owners want to use it as a cudgel to get out of spending money, or drawing concessions out of a city/group/whatever. These are all multi billionaires who could spend the money if they really wanted to, don't let them off the hook with this "ahhh yeahhh welllllll, that's just toooo much money" cause it isn't. And again the Dodgers are going to print money with this poo poo, it's an investment, not lost money.

Well, it kind of has for my team. The Padres actually had to take out a $50m loan to make payroll courtesy of Ballys going under.

Kirios posted:

:same:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

It’s not your money.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kirios posted:

Man that's such a massive gut punch for Blue Jay fans.

Lol anyone that believed that is out of their loving mind.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bogus Adventure posted:

He is going to make the team money in ticket and merch sales at the very least.

The Dodgers have no lack of stars, so a generational player has less individual effect than something like the impact that Harper/Nats, Trout/Angels, Pujols/Cards etc had on those franchises. But happening despite all that is taken positively because it means ownership isn't going to take the approach of "well we won several years ago so you should shut up and be happy" which some orgs do.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Well, it kind of has for my team. The Padres actually had to take out a $50m loan to make payroll courtesy of Ballys going under.

Your owner is worth $3.5 billion dollars

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Tatsuta Age posted:

Your owner is worth $3.5 billion dollars

And Seidler spent money, RIP.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's not my money, there exists no amount of money that the cubs could pay a baseball player where i would not be upset that the player had it instead of the ricketts family

Let me rationalize out of feeling sad! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tatsuta Age posted:

These are all multi billionaires who could spend the money if they really wanted to

If a team makes $300m a year, they aren't going to invest $280m++ in player salaries. Why do some sports fans seem to think that every billionaire should be Howard Hughes levels of crazy and run the club as a revenue negative operation just so they can flash a giant ring at the country club. I don't know for certain, but I don't think even Ted Turner did that.