Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

John Henry is the goat of American folk heroes. Remember reading about him in elementary school and have spent the rest of my life chasing that ideal.

…doing a bunch of manual labor and then dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was your take away? Jesus man come the gently caress on

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Paul Bunyan is real that's why there's a statue of him holding an axe or a muffler or candy cane in every city.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

That was your take away? Jesus man come the gently caress on

You want to prove the indomitability of the human spirit… and then die?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

John Henry is the goat of American folk heroes. Remember reading about him in elementary school and have spent the rest of my life chasing that ideal.

The mysterious AI from The Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Paul Bunyan is an important part of American culture, therefore he's an important part of world culture. So it speaks poorly of you that you don't know who Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox are.

Some people would say it was unnecessary and a bit weird to give the giant blue cow statue a true-to-scale dick and balls

but I am not some people

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Aren't oxen supposed to be castrated?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's a bull statue with dick and balls in town that people decorate depending on the season. Although it's a cursed business and everyone who moves there goes out of business in two years or less.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gripweed posted:

Americans, all of us, should agree to act like we 100% believe that Paul Bunyan was real when talking to foreigners. Babe the blue ox too.

Paul Bunion, Forest Podiatrist

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

You want to prove the indomitability of the human spirit… and then die?

Doesn't everyone

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I rather live forever or die in the attempt.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gaius Marius posted:

John Henry is the goat of American folk heroes.

John Henry was also the best album by They Might Be Giants.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

John Henry was also the best album by They Might Be Giants.

Finally, someone who gets it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When the Game of Thrones show finished adapting the books, they should have just started a filler arc and done that until the next book comes out

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That would never have happened because the showrunners wanted out.

HBO was willing to do more seasons, they wanted to do something else, like a star wars movie, which they never did.

It's sad really, how badly they hosed up the landing after doing a good job first.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

doverhog posted:

HBO was willing to do more seasons, they wanted to do something else, like a star wars movie, which they never did.

It's sad really, how badly they hosed up the landing after doing a good job first.

If they'd taken their time and done it right instead of rushing, they'd probably have kept the Star Wars movie.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Alas.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And now both properties are devalued

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry, there are still plenty of other respected names that can be plundered and burned to the ground for corporations to make short term profits.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

Doesn't everyone

No. Most of us would prefer to live.

Almost every job being done in the world is hard and difficult, and it's a better thing to be kind to those doing it.

The exception of course, are CEO's and other well rewarded things under capitalism.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Then they should have gotten new showrunners who were willing to keep the show going with beach episodes and tournament arcs until Martin finished the next book.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry, there are still plenty of other respected names that can be plundered and burned to the ground for corporations to make short term profits.
I'll sell them mine for a few of those short term profits. I'm not doing anything with it.

Gripweed posted:

Then they should have gotten new showrunners who were willing to keep the show going with beach episodes and tournament arcs until Martin finished the next book.
Which still hasn't happened. I don't think there are enough filler plots in the world to cover Martin's failure.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Gripweed posted:

Bottle episode clip show

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ommin posted:

Which still hasn't happened. I don't think there are enough filler plots in the world to cover Martin's failure.

Martin has failed, clearly, but it's also really clear how the people making the show needed his writing.

House of the Dragon is a really good show btw. Irrespective of GRRM failing the book series, or the failures of GoT the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GOT loses a lot of appeal when you start reading real history. Albigensian Crusade, the Fourth Crusade, or The Thirty Years War are a hundred times more insane than anything Gurm could dream up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

GOT loses a lot of appeal when you start reading real history. Albigensian Crusade, the Fourth Crusade, or The Thirty Years War are a hundred times more insane than anything Gurm could dream up.

Yeah his major claim to fame was just putting the salaciousness up front and center in a time when history tended to get sanitized and fantasy was more heavily associated with a younger demo.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The first 3 books are good, and a very intense read. I remember, from when I did it before the 4th book was released.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Game of Thrones loses its appeal once you realize that George R. R. Martin is just an anthropomorphized Papa Mousekewitz.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Game of Thrones loses its appeal once you realize that George R. R. Martin is just an anthropomorphized Papa Mousekewitz.

No, now I'm coming around in the man again

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I remember Fievel Goes West being hilarious, but that was like twenty-five years ago and I don't know if I should revisit it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Children's movies lie best in nostalgia

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Andrzej Sapkowski's Hussite Wars Trilogy is 4x more political than GoT and has the benefit of being based on real events.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

doverhog posted:

Martin has failed, clearly, but it's also really clear how the people making the show needed his writing.

House of the Dragon is a really good show btw. Irrespective of GRRM failing the book series, or the failures of GoT the series.
Agree 100%. Truth is, everyone failed GoT. Every single person with creative control just gave up, got cocky, and lost interest. Pretty sure that's why there is no incentive for him to finish the books now, so the show can take all the blame for a bad ending.

House of the Dragon is excellent and shows how to successfully pace a show when it has a clearly defined ending that you are building to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not only does House of the Dragons rule, but it has a lot of actual cool dragon designs instead of the extremely boring Kelly C dragons from the first show. Big mama Vhagar? Matt Daemon's creepy snake ride ? Truly scary and cool.

Also my sense of humour hasn't changed since like 11 and I find it hilarious to call a show Hot D.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Rather than telling telling people to pursue their dreams it’s better to tell people to get a job that can support them and do the things they love as a hobby

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that noise

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

doverhog posted:

The first 3 books are good,

They really aren't. He desperately needed an editor and mostly built the brand on individual scenes that were shocking or full of sex.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm honestly kind of shocked at the restraint GoT book readers had when it came to not spoiling the Red Wedding.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Black Adam wasn’t that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't think the Rock suited the role and Pierce Brosnans hair was kinda silly