Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Silver2195 posted:

“Being a swarm” is something that should probably be an ancestry rather than an archetype…except if Paizo made an ancestry like that it would probably have a bunch of handwaves built into it so you wouldn’t get much in the way of actual mechanical benefits from being a swarm.

Between the Worm that Walks, similar ideas like the King of Biting Ants in Strength of Thousands and the 1e Shifter, it's actually pretty consistent that one of the weirder pieces of magic you can learn if you're an expert is how to turn yourself into a pile of horrible insects. Admittedly, you don't necessarily intend to become a worm that walks, but it's still closer to an archetype like mummy than an ancestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If a human adventurer dies and gets raised as a skeleton adventurer, then dies heroically and is reincarnated as a duskwalker, do they come back as a human(duskwalker) or a skeleton(duskwalker)?

Don't mind me I'm just trying to make the most complicated annoyingly pointless backstory for my Abom Vaults character just to amuse and annoy my group.

Oh poo poo maybe a duskwalker summoner whose undead eidolon is their original body.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

bagrada posted:

If a human adventurer dies and gets raised as a skeleton adventurer, then dies heroically and is reincarnated as a duskwalker, do they come back as a human(duskwalker) or a skeleton(duskwalker)?

Don't mind me I'm just trying to make the most complicated annoyingly pointless backstory for my Abom Vaults character just to amuse and annoy my group.

Oh poo poo maybe a duskwalker summoner whose undead eidolon is their original body.

Duskwalker says "neither your body nor your spirit can ever become undead."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also, skeleton and duskwalker are both versatile heritages so you can't attach one to the other. They both require the same mechanical bit to be traded out.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

bagrada posted:

don’t think there are hard rules on that. a blue skeleton is funnier though so probably do that

Ignore them /\/\ become a blue skeleton

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, skeleton and duskwalker are both versatile heritages so you can't attach one to the other. They both require the same mechanical bit to be traded out.

skeleton is an ancestry, not a heritage

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the replies, I'd missed the "can't become undead" bit which is admittedly pretty clear. I was distracted by the rules saying you come back as the same ancestry as your original form but might be from a dragon and have horns and scales.

Back to the drawing board for my thaum. We're 3.5 manning Abom Vaults in the new year with a first timer GM wanting the practice, my sister trying a TTRPG for the first time and playing a human metal/fire kineticist, my buddy playing "idk a barbarian if this game has those" despite playing Gatewalkers alongside one for 6 months earlier this year, and me running a duskwalker lantern thaumaturge alongside a mostly autopilot dwarf cleric of magrim since we're down a player. Should be good times.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Red Metal posted:

skeleton is an ancestry, not a heritage

Whoops. Misremembered, sorry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Had a hot hand as a DM and rolled 10 consecutive high d20 rolls, the lowest of which was 14. Never missed. Almost murdered my party with a couple of Violet Funguses. Felt bad.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't become undead if you start undead.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

marshmallow creep posted:

I think if an undead dies Pharasma is not in a hurry to let them escape judgement again

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I think if an undead dies Pharasma is not in a hurry to let them escape judgement again

well sounds like they should just ask pharasma instead of being rude and assuming things

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone running pf2e on Foundry have a good way to manage long term afflictions, e.g. ghoul fever

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

marshmallow creep posted:

:hmmyes:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

In a more serious sense re the duskwalker thing just ask your GM, just asking your GM is kinda how pf2 is supposed to run

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone running pf2e on Foundry have a good way to manage long term afflictions, e.g. ghoul fever

Action Support Engine if you don't mind paying Reyzor $1/mo on Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/reyzor1991/membership

Otherwise PF2e Extempore Effects let's you do it a very low, manual way:
https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-extempore-effects

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

3 Action Economist posted:

Action Support Engine if you don't mind paying Reyzor $1/mo on Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/reyzor1991/membership

I will note that the $1 appears to have been an Early Bird thing that is no longer available. The current is $7.50CAD.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

Handle afflictions: Automates things like Ghoul Fever. Under dev feature, need to update pf2e core manually (unstable feature)

Dang, seems like the one feature I would want doesn't work so well and at $5/mo I'll pass.

I'll say this, I like the pf2e system more than base 5e I foundry, but 5e seemed to be more approachable from the customization front. Maybe I just need to play around with it more.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 6, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah that's fair. It will eventually be publicly released.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

3 Action Economist posted:

Otherwise PF2e Extempore Effects let's you do it a very low, manual way:
https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-extempore-effects

This has exactly the functionality I needed, including being able to hide the marker from the player! Thanks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That is exactly what I needed too. A hell of a lot better than using freaking Notepad. Thank you 3AE.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You're welcome.

Have a Humble Bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/pathfinder-second-edition-legacy-bundle-paizo-books

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Not to be a pill, but I have the outdated Core books from the last bundle, and I think Age of Ashes and Fall of Plaguestone are pretty bad for new parties (I have only played part of FoP on a Discord game, but it sucked, and every single fact I've heard about Age of Ashes makes it sound like a horrible combat slog).

Beginner Box stays winning, though. And the Lost Omens stuff is always fun.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, this is a good bundle if you want the old legacy books just to have them for completionist purposes, or if you specifically want lost omens golarion lore stuff (world guide is great, others are… okay).

But the AP included is… well if you don’t mind redoing all of the encounters to modern standards and just want the plot beats AoA is a fun globetrot I hear. But I wouldn’t want to play it as written.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I mean the lost omens stuff is gonna stay canon except the gods ones right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Honestly at the rate my party is playing I probably am gonna be DMing for the next year at least, the campaign I was playing in as a player fizzled, then the remastered Alchemist comes out and I see if they fixed STR-based Mutagenists to be a bit more viable (I hope they did, they actually work ok starting around 4 tho) and I'll hopefully get to be a player again for a while.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I mean the lost omens stuff is gonna stay canon except the gods ones right?

Yeah the lost omens stuff is all canon (even the gods stuff is still canon, it’s just… in about a year they’re gonna kill one).

It’s just that the specific lost omens stuff included is, IMO, kind of marginal other than the world guide (which is the best lost omens book for Intro To Golarion, but has also been to many previous humble bundles so it’s higher than usual likelihood that someone already owns it.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah the lost omens stuff is all canon (even the gods stuff is still canon, it’s just… in about a year they’re gonna kill one).

It’s just that the specific lost omens stuff included is, IMO, kind of marginal other than the world guide (which is the best lost omens book for Intro To Golarion, but has also been to many previous humble bundles so it’s higher than usual likelihood that someone already owns it.)

WHO SHOT JRARODEN

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

WHO SHOT JRARODEN

The Assassination of Aroden by the Coward Achaekek

e: I'm not very familiar with pf2e gods

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Well, Aroden's already dead.

It's just that there's apparently a Core god on the chopping block.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, Arazni is getting a promotion

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Cyouni posted:

Well, Aroden's already dead.

He lives on in our mighty deeds and selfless sacrifices.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
So our original content campaign wrapped up a bit early on Thursday, owing to the fact that making up a campaign is hard. Our GM has proposed starting up again with an adventure path this time, and has put forth Outlaws of Alkenstar, Abomination Vaults, Blood Lords, and Gatewalkers. How good are these as APs?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Our GM found Gatewalkers too railroady from setpiece to setpiece, and our group constantly got our asses kicked by random encounters while destroying the bosses. We had a few highs but a lot of lows. At the beginning of book 2 he ended up switching us over to a new 5e campaign instead where he feels more comfortable freestyling.

A subset of that group is about to start Abom Vaults on an alternate night so I'm curious how that will compare and how confused we are going to get switching between game systems weekly.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ZZT the Fifth posted:

So our original content campaign wrapped up a bit early on Thursday, owing to the fact that making up a campaign is hard. Our GM has proposed starting up again with an adventure path this time, and has put forth Outlaws of Alkenstar, Abomination Vaults, Blood Lords, and Gatewalkers. How good are these as APs?

Abomination Vaults is the best of those and is a dungeon crawl.
Outlaws of Alkenstar is pretty good but is heavily railroaded, and the most thematic classes (inventor, gunslinger, alchemist) are IMO some of the least well made classes in the game
Blood Lords is supposed to be pretty good but is about evil undead so everyone has to be into the gimmick
Gatewalkers seems very uneven and the investigation apparently doesn't work that great for a AP supposedly focused on it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Speaking as someone who only read Gatewalkers, it's best to think of it as an X Files-style campaign. It's a bunch of weird subplots to lightly investigate, linked together by an overarching metaplot. You don't necessarily get cool mysteries to solve, but a lot of opportunities to look like a cool mystery-solver if you get what I mean. Also, while I haven't read the other campaigns, I've heard their reputations and Gatewalkers is the one that needs the most work on the GM's part to make the plot feel good. If you run it as-is, it's just going to feel weird and janky too often.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 10, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

Also, Arazni is getting a promotion

I don't know if you're joking but I unironically want this.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Piell posted:

AP talk

Cool, thanks for the summaries.

I've also read about Strength of Thousands - how is it compared to the paths already listed?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I can't speak to how it compares to other APs, but as a player who is 2/3s or the way through Strength of Thousands, I've really been enjoying the setting, the stories, and the characters, but a lot of the encounters have been pretty middling. Especially in the last book the encounter design has really been in love with encounters consisting of a single type of monster, and if we have something strong against it the fight is a cakewalk and if we don't the fight is a pain. A complaint more specifically about Book 4's encounters: When Rage of Elements came out one of our players rebuilt to be a fire kineticist and Book 4 is just absolutely stuffed with monsters that are immune to fire but do not have the Fire trait so they can't use the "turn off immunity" kineticist feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I've also read through Strength of Thousands, and the back half of it just has a real problem with making you feel like you're part of academia and not just very lightly academia-themed. It has a really solid cast of characters so they do have the tools to make it work, but your GM is going to have to put a lot of work into bringing the AP's main theme in for those parts.

(PublicOpinion can talk more about how the encounters feel in practice, I can only get so much of an opinion by reading.)