Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Spider-Man: Miles Morales gives you the bodega cat suit once you complete the game and finish a short side quest.

It even has a special finisher animation where the cat lands the final blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Two unique Finishers IIRC

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just got into Dredge recently and while the game might be all dark and scary and all that, but one of the sidequest series actually ends up being kind of funny in the end. You meet strangers hidden behind robes who send you off to get a series of fish which they will then rip apart to eat the hearts of, and at the end of the quest they seemingly fall into an endless sleep after giving you a book. Not like a tome of eldritch lore or anything, but like a fishing book, or what is essentially a fallout barter skill book.

Also the game has apparently been patched because at launch it was apparently possible for the figures to die if you took too long, but now they can't, so you can't lose out on the rewards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
octopath traveler 2's main story quests all revolve around just one of the eight main characters and vary wildly in stakes and tone. the dancer-class character's story is so bubbly and harmless that it becomes kind of comical compared to some of the others, but the game did understand that if you're going to make a story about a dancer, then you'd better focus on the music, and the climactic song is an absolute barnburner

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is your yearly reminder that Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is a December game that Should be played every December, and also every other time of year, because it contains the best character in all of Video Games

I just finished Chapter 2, and #1: It's very interesting playing this detective game when you already know some of the big twists and turns. Little details from the very first tutorial area had me pointing at my screen like that Leonardo DiCaprio meme.
#2: I played this game concurrently back during Haifisch's LP of it (which was twelve years ago. :kstare:) and I remember there being multiple major plot twists, yet I only actually remember one of them. So playing it again is like knowing all of what's going to happen, but I just can't quite put my finger on it. Meanwhile, the main character has amnesia, which perfectly fits the situation!

What I do clearly remember about the game is that it's very good, and everybody should play it, if only for the Goodest Boy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
missile achieves levels of Good Boy that are inexplicable by modern science

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Missile is everything that a Good Boy should be: pure of heart, dumb of rear end, loud of bark.

He waited for his ladies because that’s what doggies do.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Tunicate posted:

Is shadows still WIP? I tried the demo and it had devbuild popups and looked pretty unfinished (like winning the game having no sound effects, just a message that then returns you to your game instead of the main screen when dismissed), but maybe the demo is just kinda halfbuilt since it doesn't need full features

Its hit 1.1 and the developer is working on a DLC with an underground layer. Maybe it'll make the Cordyceps god complete while they are at it? Honestly I still haven't gotten around to playing a full run with the two gods they threw in at the last minute. One is based around manipulating in game stats through random cards. The other is about new game+, finally making cursing minor bloodlines worth it.

Also the best way to get heroes to clump up is to play as Mammon. The run I had with them was just a non-stop thunderdome of combat. Having a corrupted church next door with the Countess combined with the inherent danger of your tomb made it just barely possible.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Bussamove posted:

Missile is everything that a Good Boy should be: pure of heart, dumb of rear end, loud of bark.

He waited for his ladies because that’s what doggies do.

I wept like a child at the ending.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat, just won my first game of shadows of forbidden gods

pretty simple strategy - find the biggest nation, recruit a bunch of intrigue heroes, infiltrate everywhere and Lay Low in cities between missions to keep profile/menace down, use that "eyes in the shadow" power any time you've got more than 3 power, then Enshadow a bunch of cities all at once. once everywhere's kinda shadowy, use your fifth hero slot on the Monarch and start the dark empire

also got lucky and empowered a deep one cult to act as a distraction. probably better to do that outside of the nation you intend to make into your dark empire though, as it claims the city

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just found out they did a surprise Xbox release of Baldur's Gate 3 just like half an hour ago. Which is great because I'm almost finished with Alan Wake 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just played a rather cute The Witness-inspired game called "The Pillar: Puzzle Escape" that has some fun bits although one of the environmental puzzles towards the end could be explained a bit better as I had to look up what to do. It's fun how the areas get more and more elaborate, starting with small areas with pillars that have puzzles on the side, and getting the puzzles done is the challenge, but in later areas it becomes much more elaborate as puzzles start interacting with each other so some environmental puzzles you only get a few parts of at first until you do OTHER puzzles and as you solve them you are opening new areas with new puzzles. Never quite to the level of The Witness but the last main area gets pretty engaging.

A clever thing it does to avoid spoilering itself is that only the first 4 areas get achievements on the PSN - the last few areas don't so you can't accidentally look ahead by reading the achievements. It's just the name of the place so it doesn't give much away, but I liked the idea and think other games should do that sort of thing too.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
If you like silly, The Witness-inspired puzzles, you might want to also check out “The Looker” if you haven’t already.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you enjoy Witness-inspired puzzlers, also try The Witness

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales gives you the bodega cat suit once you complete the game and finish a short side quest.

Is this a Ratatouille situation where the cat is in control?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

If you like silly, The Witness-inspired puzzles, you might want to also check out “The Looker” if you haven’t already.

And if you like non-silly, The Witness-inspired puzzles, you should also check out Taiji! It's like 2D The Witness, but you light up squares instead of draw lines (and also quite a bit better imo)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this a Ratatouille situation where the cat is in control?

MY GREATEST FOE...TOXOPLASMOSIS!! :spidey:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

MY GREATEST FOE...TOXOPLASMOSIS!! :spidey:

FAPPOooooohhh what a cute widdle kitty.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:toxx:oplasmosis

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminds me, my favourite bit of continuity in the original Powerpuff Girls show was the Professor and Miss Keane's romance not working out because Miss Keane had a cat and the Professor was still afraid of them after being mind-controlled by an evil cat in a prior episode, and Miss Keane just thought he was making a dumb excuse because of how implausible that sounds.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dragon Quest 11 had an auto battle system that was smart; it basically made the same decisions I would make, but it would do it so much faster so I ended up just using that. It kind of made the experience seem kind of hollow but, if 99% of the choices being made are the same it just felt inefficient not to use it. I'm glad Yakuza 7 is dumb as gently caress when it comes to its auto battle AI. Sure, attack the guy with the most health! Use all my fuckin items! Attack the enemy farthest away! This way I only use it to do tedious poo poo but don't rely on it for any consequential battles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

Dragon Quest 11 had an auto battle system that was smart; it basically made the same decisions I would make, but it would do it so much faster so I ended up just using that. It kind of made the experience seem kind of hollow but, if 99% of the choices being made are the same it just felt inefficient not to use it. I'm glad Yakuza 7 is dumb as gently caress when it comes to its auto battle AI. Sure, attack the guy with the most health! Use all my fuckin items! Attack the enemy farthest away! This way I only use it to do tedious poo poo but don't rely on it for any consequential battles.

Yeah I only turned it on in basic mode. I forget what it was actually called, but it limited the characters to only melee attacks. No MP, no items used.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

While it's technically not the game itself, I have to say I absolutely love the Sim Settlements 2 mod for Fallout 4. Saw it on the Nexus for quite a while but didn't pay too close attention because while the first one was decent, it was too focused on the settlement stuff, so I assumed the second would be the same. But then I watched MATN start a playthrough with that mod and I was immediately hooked and had to start FO4 again, and it has really been a blast so far. And while the whole settlement stuff has been a major improvement over the first one, the more essential part is that it actually has a main storyline of its own, plus some sidequests. The voice acting is also very well-done, and the only clunkiness so far has been the lines from the main character, since obviously those are the main game sound files, which sometimes make all the response options come across as sarcastic. Definitely the best story mod in FO4 I have played.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the way the arachnophobia mode was implemented in lethal company

https://twitter.com/iiykoyo/status/1733585435157319708

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

Not really material for this thread, but this reminds me of why I got so pissed at Star Ocean 2 for PSOne: when I set a characters combat AI to not use MP, I expect that character to not use MP.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

But what if they REALLY REALLY want to?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
JRPGs have a long history of really jank, opaque and outright misleading mechanics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Not really material for this thread, but this reminds me of why I got so pissed at Star Ocean 2 for PSOne: when I set a characters combat AI to not use MP, I expect that character to not use MP.

It’s alright, he’ll drink an Ether next turn to bring himself back up to full MP.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

It’s alright, he’ll drink an Ether next turn to bring himself back up to full MP.

:mad:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I always like the ones that had some kind of insane loving maze of If/And/Or programming chains for the AI.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah I only turned it on in basic mode. I forget what it was actually called, but it limited the characters to only melee attacks. No MP, no items used.
That's been a DQ thing since IV: you can set each party member to focus on healing, use few/no spells, go all out, fight in a balanced way, try a bunch of tactics, or follow orders (= manual mode). I don't remember if XI has some more sophisticated AI at work, but the feature has historically been pretty great, exploiting potentially unknown elemental weaknesses and the like.

Another DQ feature that goes way back and that sets it apart from old-school FF: fast travel! I think I've mentioned it here before, but for as much as I loved and still love FF4, holy poo poo is it tedious to get places, especially in the open world of Free Enterprise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hirayuki posted:

That's been a DQ thing since IV: you can set each party member to focus on healing, use few/no spells, go all out, fight in a balanced way, try a bunch of tactics, or follow orders (= manual mode). I don't remember if XI has some more sophisticated AI at work, but the feature has historically been pretty great, exploiting potentially unknown elemental weaknesses and the like.

Another DQ feature that goes way back and that sets it apart from old-school FF: fast travel! I think I've mentioned it here before, but for as much as I loved and still love FF4, holy poo poo is it tedious to get places, especially in the open world of Free Enterprise.

I was talking about Yak 7 but Yak 7 is one big homage to DQ anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having played a lot of AAA games primarily, playing CrossCode is a pleasant breath of fresh air since you can just jump from one ledge to another without crashing abdomen first into it like Last of Us and Uncharted or Horizon Zero Dawn's weird canned animation system for itself where you have to pick out those yellow handholds even if the gap's less than a foot wide.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lobok posted:

I was talking about Yak 7 but Yak 7 is one big homage to DQ anyway.
Oh! Sorry about that. I've heard that about Yakuza 7--I might have to check it out (via LP, anyway).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Oh! Sorry about that. I've heard that about Yakuza 7--I might have to check it out (via LP, anyway).

It’s actually one of the better places to jump in to the series, since it’s a new protagonist and almost entirely new cast. You’ll miss some callbacks and deeper implications of some storybeats but not enough that you’ll be lost or not connect to the story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

It’s actually one of the better places to jump in to the series, since it’s a new protagonist and almost entirely new cast. You’ll miss some callbacks and deeper implications of some storybeats but not enough that you’ll be lost or not connect to the story.

Plus it’s different enough that you won’t feel like you’re losing anything going back in the series. 6/Kiwami 2 are refined and snappy with QoL features that make even 0 an adjustment. Since 7 isn’t a brawler it won’t have that jump back in time problem.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I did some translation work on 3 and 4, but that was (obviously) a long time ago, and I haven't gotten any better at that kind of game in the meantime. :shobon: But I'll consider it--thanks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I moved backwards from Luigi's Mansion 3 to Dark Moon, and I'm just loving the series' charm. My favorite bit is that Luigi will sometimes just start humming along with the background music, it's so fun. I'm sure I've played other that have gone for that gag too, but I'm drawing a blank on any specific titles.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finished My Time at Sandrock, and I like how the game deals with relationships. So many life sims just boil them down to feeding whoever you like presents until they love you, and, well okay Sandrock has some of that (though you can't give them same thing everyday as their enthusiasm for it will abate), but overall the relationships feel better done than others in the genre.

For example, I'm getting closer to a woman in town, and have expressed romantic interest in her. Eventually, she asks me to go out out for dinner and a walk - it ends with us kissing outside her house, which is like, oh this means we're in a relationship if that's happening in a life sim. Except afterwards when it's brought up, she expresses that maybe that was a mistake, she let her guard down but really she wants to focus on her career right now, as she has too much too juggle with what's happening in the town, her kid back in her hometown, and adding a relationship to the mix is too much. This took me aback, I was not expecting characters in this sort of game to not be absolutely ready to drop everything for the player's hand in marriage.

(alas I ended up giving my heart to another before she could sort things out)

This is also the series where, in the first game, a character is suffering from a debilitating disease, and when you start to romance her, she tells you she will die from it. One year after you marry her, she actually passes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I moved backwards from Luigi's Mansion 3 to Dark Moon, and I'm just loving the series' charm. My favorite bit is that Luigi will sometimes just start humming along with the background music, it's so fun. I'm sure I've played other that have gone for that gag too, but I'm drawing a blank on any specific titles.

Transistor has a button that does that.