Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The AA battery in the starport has a thing that's probably a bug, where the icon to interact with it is the magnifying glass icon that's usually reserved for "click this for a sentence of background lore text". But yeah, you have to interact with it even though it's not clearly indicated that you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, ugh, found the thing I needed to interact with. Dunno how I walked past it like at least 4 times.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what is a good class build if I want to be reasonably active and effective in combat while not tanking my social skills?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sylphosaurus posted:

So what is a good class build if I want to be reasonably active and effective in combat while not tanking my social skills?

I'm doin a Hive World Officer and moving with the front lines with a shotgun, seems reasonably effective and I still get to blast baddies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
How effective would doing a Caiphas Cain Chainsword+Las Pistol and huge on leadership and social skills be.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zore posted:

How effective would doing a Caiphas Cain Chainsword+Las Pistol and huge on leadership and social skills be.

One of the advanced archetypes the Officer can choose at level 16 is explicitly about getting buffs by alternating between ranged and melee attacks. And Officer is ridiculously effective in general.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 9, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did the weapon skill "Cleave" used to be named "Slash"? Because there are talents that reference "slash" and when I try to google that skill, the description is the exact same thing as the current "cleave" description

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nah, I got an ability that gives you slash. The reason why its lump in with the dash stuff in talents is its another movement based attack.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you actually make a character that takes advantage of Voidborn's Be Smart?
If you're gonna make an INT focused character then picking any class besides Operator seems like a waste, since nobody else has proficiencies with INT Skills, and Operator can't seem to take advantage of Be Smart.
There's a possibility of making an INT Officer but then you're not using your primary stat for your skills so it feels like you're supremely gimping yourself.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

How do you actually make a character that takes advantage of Voidborn's Be Smart?
If you're gonna make an INT focused character then picking any class besides Operator seems like a waste, since nobody else has proficiencies with INT Skills, and Operator can't seem to take advantage of Be Smart.
There's a possibility of making an INT Officer but then you're not using your primary stat for your skills so it feels like you're supremely gimping yourself.

Voidborn Int should in theory scale your ability from it instead of fellowship. So you can be a smart boy officer.
>Any time an ability or talent uses the Fellowship bonus, a voidborn character can instead use the Intelligence bonus
Wording is pretty clear.
And Grand Strategist would just scale its abilities from it twice.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

deep dish peat moss posted:

One of the advanced archetypes the Officer can choose at level 16 is explicitly about getting buffs by alternating between ranged and melee attacks. And Officer is ridiculously effective in general.

Officer can't pick Arch Militant but they can get Vanguard, which makes you pretty tanky.

I made Cassia that and she also has a shotgun. Lookout, heretics, here comes my trillion-dollar irreplaceable spaceship component and she's angry.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zore posted:

You won't be the best at combat, but you'll be a solid "second rank" and anything with Officer is a "makes everyone else supercharged" build. My trader is basially this: Commissar + Officer into Master Tactician. Laspistol + Chainsword and a Longlas so she can designate targets at any range and competently swat back things that somehow get into melee range.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Sab669 posted:

I did walk all the way back to the Starport but I couldn't seem to board it

Be aware that this point sees a lot of bugs. I also couldn’t reboard the shuttle, and had to reload from a 3 hour prior save because there was no way to advance. Hopefully it’ll work for you, but if you do get stuck, you’re not alone in it.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Got an interesting visual bug :sun:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey Pascal, blessed cogitator's hosed!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zore posted:

Melee Officer into Vanguard (melee tank) is specifically what the Commissar origin is built for, but you don't get access to Arch-Militant which is the archetype that gets big damage out of alternating attack types. You could go Warrior or Soldier into that, but then a lot of Commissar's Fellowship stat boosts are wasted.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Anyone having issues with the loudhailers part of the Drifting Voidship should just reload before it and go there later. Even if you get past those, the boss is incredibly hard for that point in the campaign.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been enjoying this. I bumped difficulty down after I got annoyed with enemies always going first, then gang raping one of my guys before I even got a turn in. Story is pretty great, and I'm totally geeking out on the 40k universe. I'm playing the good guys, so basically everyone gets executed if their shoelaces aren't tied properly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The drifting void ship is still a massive unfun pain in the rear end

Just trying to get through it. Not only are the stupid little speakers buggy to target but also they buff each other and also there's loving four of them in at least one encounter. Immune to melee tough to hit and shooting immune to psychic I don't know what they were thinking.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It wasn’t the speakers for me it was the snipers with 100% crit rate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah IMO I find myself dying for more storybook interludes and social encounters. Way too much ground combat gameplay. Plus, the combat gameplay fails to embrace what's unique about the game. We're not a scrappy adventuring party, we can throw underlings at problems. There's no reason why the house troops can't clear out these trash.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea there are definitely too many trash encounters, and with too many NPCs per encounter.

Still enjoying it, but I don't feel nearly as "must play" like with BG earlier this year

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah IMO I find myself dying for more storybook interludes and social encounters. Way too much ground combat gameplay. Plus, the combat gameplay fails to embrace what's unique about the game. We're not a scrappy adventuring party, we can throw underlings at problems. There's no reason why the house troops can't clear out these trash.

It desperately needs some kind of PC summon 1x per round for some grunts to charge into enemy fire.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I find the combat fun for the most part. Those two combats in a row are designed very poorly though. It was the same in the beta. It doesn't help that the encounter design makes it so that area of effect attacks are kind of buggy.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there any way to see if there is a status effect going on in a specific tile so I dont run my character into fire or whatever? Its not always obvious which tiles are affected

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

About how long is a run through this game? I'm tempted but I'm 50 hours into BG3 and I am concerned if I leave I will not come back, but if a run is something like 40 hours that's a little different...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

The drifting void ship is still a massive unfun pain in the rear end

Just trying to get through it. Not only are the stupid little speakers buggy to target but also they buff each other and also there's loving four of them in at least one encounter. Immune to melee tough to hit and shooting immune to psychic I don't know what they were thinking.

If you have sniper rifles they're a pretty easy 95% hit chance against the speakers and generally kill them in 1-2 hits

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you have sniper rifles they're a pretty easy 95% hit chance against the speakers and generally kill them in 1-2 hits

Speaking of snipers, are they meant to basically completely ignore line of sight? It seems weird that I can just plant someone in the middle of nowhere and just pop people through almost everything

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phoix posted:

Speaking of snipers, are they meant to basically completely ignore line of sight? It seems weird that I can just plant someone in the middle of nowhere and just pop people through almost everything

Line of sight can be fucky. The game could definitely use a 'vision' tool ala Wargame/WARNO that lets you see what squares can be seen from any given square.

I blundered on to the voidship y'all are talking about, and I'm desperately trying to get through the first combat encounter. This does not bode well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Legitimately they built the storybook thingy and it doesn't show up enough. I don't want another trash fight, I want grimdark storytime adventures.

My first chat with the governor also felt distinctly like I needed to collect the story tokens before continuing my conversation, which was lame. That was a perfect opportunity to let Fel players do some sequence breaking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Found my first gamebreaking bug.

In the elctro-cathedral place, combat starts. My MC proccs Seize the Initiative, gets their first turn of Officer abilities. Only, ending turn just gives her another turn, forever. She can't shoot, nobody else can act. I managed to use Bring it Down and Move, Move, Move to get someone to slowly hack the enemies apart over like 20 turns to see if it was a scripting error for that fight, but the same thing happened on the next one.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I hate that I’m a few hours in and considering restarting again now that I have a better idea of how things work. My Forge World Crime Lord Operative has a longlas and is absolutely obliterating people, but on the other hand a heavy armor/heavy weapon soldier of some kind could be fun too— but that’s basically how I’m building Argenta anyway.

I’m a bit annoyed that Cassia has pretty low Fel to start, since she seems pretty great as a buffer in general. Do Officer skills count for that one staff that increases an allies stats when she targets them with her powers?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you want to try a different build(and you don't absolutely hate your main character's current one), you don't need to restart. Just talk to the Factotum and make a mercenary - they're exactly as powerful as your own character and have the same range of options.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

if this game lets me almost recreate my dark heresy char from 15yrs ago or so then its the GOAT

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Bussamove posted:

I’m a bit annoyed that Cassia has pretty low Fel to start, since she seems pretty great as a buffer in general.

The trick with that is grabbing Unnatural Allure from the Navigator talents -- all of her Navigator stuff is good and can't be replicated elsewhere, so the Fellowship bonus stacks up fast.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Line of sight can be fucky. The game could definitely use a 'vision' tool ala Wargame/WARNO that lets you see what squares can be seen from any given square.

I blundered on to the voidship y'all are talking about, and I'm desperately trying to get through the first combat encounter. This does not bode well.

The second one is even worse and I just decided to quit out of it and come back to it later. There's probably a way to cheese it by pulling back to the corridor you came from and whittling down anything that comes after you but after getting stuck on that fight for the better part of half an hour I felt like that was just a waste of my time.

In the beta it was hard but not unfair, as I recall. But since Owlcat were told there were too many trash fights I guess they decided the solution was to just double or triple wounds on everything in that room and have the loudhailers buffing like mad too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pasqal is a little too self-aware of what Owlcat is doing.

At this point, I'm actually softening on my stance of leaving Idira behind--if every planetfall is going to feature an ambush, maybe the unsanctioned psyker giving me forewarning is in fact less risky. Somehow.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Warmachine posted:

I use her as a base of fire. You want to go all-in on her BS and get that high quickly, along with any gear that can improve her accuracy. Then you use her to burst fire into crowds of squishy things. Have your officer boost her resolve and then give her free turns. All those 11 wound minions you slaughter ratchet up your momentum, which you can then use on Abelard for hammer time. Rinse and repeat.

The key is you need her to have high BS so your shots don't wildly deviate. At that point, it's all about volume of fire. With clumped up enemies, the spread starts to work for you and misses will clip the guy standing next to your intended target, blah blah. Alternatively I bet there's a fun flamer build out there.

You can use Cassia's Locus of Distraction power (or however it's called, the "everbody in a large area will saves, those who fail move towards the center of the area" one) to pile 'em up nice, clumpy and out of cover, too. Of course, you could do that AND hurt them as you do it (with other passive Navigator talents), pile the resolve on her and dispense with the hail of bolter fire/shower of promethium. But it's much less funny.

But speaking of piling resolve : what determines a dude's base resolve, exactly ? I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be a secondary stat derived from an ability score, and it varies wildly between characters (eg my psyker officer rocks 6 at the end of chapter 1, while Pasqal only has 3). What gives ?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Really fun game without any significant bugs so far. I’m also finding it a lot easier on the default difficulty than either of their other games despite knowing nothing about this rpg system.

I’m enjoying my iconoclastic but stuffy naval officer charmer, but I’m definitely going to do a harder run too. Probably a hardline pious soldier. Is dual wielding pistol and sword any good? It felt like a thematic perk for a naval officer but wasn’t sure if it was actually worth doing over just using two weapon sets.

Argente has been my strongest character by far through liberal use of officer skills on her, burst fire, and her heroic. To get good angles she needs to not hang back, but she can be quite the wrecking ball.

There is always a story disconnect in these crpgs with kingdom building where the king/captain/etc is crawling around sewers going through boxes for shinies. I’d like to see a game sometime try to embrace being bigger picture while still being a crpg and not a strategy game. Maybe Larian will use some of those mega BG3 bucks to iterate on Dragon Commander’s ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Every time I think the combat encounters are getting to be a bit much I end up using Psychic Scream for 150 damage or killing a small army with AOE and I'm fine with it again