Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like the implict reason the Doctor chooses such simple games to play the Toymaker at: He'll abide by the rules, but the more complex the rules, the more room for gamesmanship and creatively interpreting the rules to one's advantage. You can't really do that with high card or catch, all there is is a single basic rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Anyone upset at "THAT'S NOT HOW REGENERATION" works?

I guess you could say they're... salty.

RTD didn't NEED to explain how the Toymaker got here, but he did (an episode earlier!), and I appreciate that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

It was, but Clara only decided to not go straight to Gallifrey and fly off with Ashilda instead after she left the Doctor. So even if the Doctor got his memories back, as far as he knew, she went straight back to Trap Street and got Crow'd.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder!

I find it hard to believe there hasn't been at least one BF story of Ashilda and Clara adventures, and with the door left open as it was, leaves room for the to cross paths with a later Doctor, while it still being a consolation half-life Doctor feels guilty about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I will say, 15 hugging 14 was just so…nice. Addressing mental health and needing to take a moment and have a hug is just wonderful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Anyone upset at "THAT'S NOT HOW REGENERATION" works?

I guess you could say they're... salty.

RTD didn't NEED to explain how the Toymaker got here, but he did (an episode earlier!), and I appreciate that.

I assume he was heading off a 1AM phone call from Mark Gatiss: "No... no, Mark... I know the Toymaker was from outside the universe..."

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 9, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thrawn527 posted:

I will say, 15 hugging 14 was just so…nice. Addressing mental health and needing to take a moment and have a hug is just wonderful.

Yeah, I’m loving Ncuti’s interpretation already :3:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I’m loving Ncuti’s interpretation already :3:
I adore him. :neckbeard:

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The idea to make Ncuti "the Doctor, but they've been to therapy one (1) time" is just grand.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
- Scottish
- Short-ish
- First companion is Mel (if we stretch the definition a bit)

:thunk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Scottish
- Short-ish
- First companion is Mel (if we stretch the definition a bit)

:thunk:

But can he play the spoons?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Honey.”

And I was instantly on board.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was nervous about him. Not because I thought he'd be bad, but because of the way the writing failed Jodie.

But he's already perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt we need to worry about that until his second or 3rd season. Russell's clearly got some juice stored up to hit the ground running.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Look, I don't care for the whole bi-regeneration thing, it's RTD at his worst, but I won't let it stop me from enjoying Ncuti who seems like a delight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I laughed at the literal use of Hammerspace. :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yannick_B posted:

According to the original podcast & the in-vision commentary, Russell T Davies offers that not only the 14th Doctor bigenerated but EVERY other Doctor did in some sort of time-loop, explaining that the older 5,6 and 7th Doctors from Tales of The Tardis are all bi-generated Doctors. Now that is fanwanking I can get behind.

Bi-generation is absurd and I think it's really silly there's just another Tennant and TARDIS out there (the second TARDIS is really pushing it!) but I do love RTD going full fanwank on the idea. I suppose the original Ten-2 was just a pre-manifestation of that then? And the Curator as well? And David Bradley oh god how deep does this rabbithole go

I was really skeptical of using the Toymaker at all based on his racist origins, but goddamn, making the Toymaker canonically racist is actually a pretty clever way of squaring that circle. And NPH is frightening enough that, yeah, fine, you did it.

EDIT: There was so much going on in this episode that I forgot it opened with the Toymaker creating a memetic virus to turn everybody into sovereign citizens.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 9, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What a glorious RTD mess that was. Did it make a lick of sense from start to finish? Nope! Did I enjoy the hell out of it? Yep!

I always wanted a mid-story regeneration and I guess I got it in this one.

I feel like the climactic ball game should have been shot better. It was a lot of disconnected cuts, probably because they only had Gatwa for a limited time and shot around that, and it needed to have everyone together for there to be any kind of flow to it. And just having the Toymaker miss a catch isn't exactly a satisfying resolution; I was expecting something like the Doctors to start juggling the ball back and forth quickly and then both throw a ball at him. Make the extra ball one of the balls from when the Toymaker killed the soldiers and you even get a bit of "consequences of his own actions" going with it.

There's something satisfying that RTD gave Doctor Who an ending. The Doctor settles down and will still be around to help or might pop off for a vacation from time to time, but he's not rushing off to save the universe every week. I kind of hope it means that we'll get 14/Donna/Rose specials from time to time; I don't need a series but if they come back and have a quick adventure once a year or so I'll be very happy.

And Gatwa was great as the Doctor. I mean, I was expecting him to be good, but he's got a lot of the charm. Also, of course RTD had him pantsless throughout his first appearance.

I noticed that UNIT locked the box up in salt. Uh-oh, Doctor, you really screwed up big time with that...

Jerusalem posted:

NPH gave RTD the chance to indulge in one of the things he does best, which is make vague references to incomprehensibly ALIEN beings of unfathomable power and ability. His reference to "the thing hiding in the dark that I didn't dare challenge" did a fantastic job of raising my interest in whatever the next big bad enemy is.

I thought it was going to be that the Toymaker was scared of the next Doctor and so forced Ten to come back to delay it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was sure that the toy maker was going to leap off the tower to go after the ball, I felt like the reference to the gun crew taking several seconds to hit bottom was foreshadowing that.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

There's something satisfying that RTD gave Doctor Who an ending. The Doctor settles down and will still be around to help or might pop off for a vacation from time to time, but he's not rushing off to save the universe every week. I kind of hope it means that we'll get 14/Donna/Rose specials from time to time; I don't need a series but if they come back and have a quick adventure once a year or so I'll be very happy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to spin another movie out of that set up down the line

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Talking of the tower, there was a very Avengers-esque sting on the journey to it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I actually really, REALLY love that the whole mystery with "Why was 14 Tennant again" turned out be just straight up "The Doctor is deeply loving traumatised and running on fumes and essentially regressed into something familiar to try and find comfort".

That was genuinely very touching and I didn't see it coming at all. You managed one hell of a job Rusty.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like the climactic ball game should have been shot better. It was a lot of disconnected cuts, probably because they only had Gatwa for a limited time and shot around that, and it needed to have everyone together for there to be any kind of flow to it. And just having the Toymaker miss a catch isn't exactly a satisfying resolution; I was expecting something like the Doctors to start juggling the ball back and forth quickly and then both throw a ball at him. Make the extra ball one of the balls from when the Toymaker killed the soldiers and you even get a bit of "consequences of his own actions" going with it.

That whole sequence was the worst bit for. It could've been a fun and dramatic game of catch, instead they did the now classic lovely action movie approach of every shot cutting away so many times nothing ever feels connected. The ball was almost out of frame for every toss and catch, presumably because they didn't even want to try having to film actually catching and throwing things. Still, not asking for them to do it right like a YouTuber who can spend all day trying to get one perfect ball toss into impossibly hard target, just wanted a few shots where maybe they just CG in a ball while they acted like playing catch instead of jumping straight into mad cut city.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Fourteen looked loving rough in that scene with Fifteen* in the Tardis. Ncuti looking like he moisturises three times a day against The World's Saddest Timelord. Great acting from both of them.

* We're all agreed that Nctui is Fifteen and Tennant is now playing The First Curator or whatever, right?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Maybe it's because I watched it while drunk, and I'm still drunk, but this was an amazing episode.

Deliciously mad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Might have gone a little overboard here, Imgur straight up asked me,"Are you a robot?" while I was uploading :sweatdrop:

The Giggle mp4s, click thumbnail to view.

What an incredible episode to cap off three incredible specials. Welcome back RTD, you magnificent giant.

https://i.imgur.com/vHVKYvL.mp4

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume we all thought about Hartnell and the caveman during the speech about the first ball game, right?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Tennant did such a fantastic job of of selling 14 as someone who has been run ragged and about to break too. You could really feel it over the course of these episodes just how much The Doctor had all this built up emotion that was now seeping out through the cracks.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
14 saying he's a billion years old...Confession Dial time now counted or was he just being hyperbolic?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I assume we all thought about Hartnell and the caveman during the speech about the first ball game, right?

I hadn't but that's a good point!

I also like that the Doctor knew to keep the games as simple as possible with the Toymaker, to reduce the amount of space there would be to play with the rules. It won't cheat, but give it room for interpretation and it can easily get the player so lost in the rules that they lose without even realizing it.

Tangential, I love whenever Tennant would mention being Hartnell he'd talk about how young he was :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like how this episode is both about how the Doctor's life is harmful to his companions (WELL THAT MAKES IT ALRIGHT THEN) and to himself.

Also taking the weird orientalism of the original Toymaker and changing it to the fact that he just likes appropriating the aesthetics and accents of various nationalities was fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

14 saying he's a billion years old...Confession Dial time now counted or was he just being hyperbolic?

He shouldn't count the confession dial time because from his perspective it was about three days. And if he was counting that time then he's way older than a billion. I think it's hyperbole, but it's better that they just play loose with the Doctor's age. He's really, really, really old and that's what matters.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Enjoyable enough except for the cringey lipsyncing music scene. One RTDism I hoped would be left behind

Look at this horrbile opinon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

First Chibnall, now RTD; I'm really not enjoying this lack of Osgood.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How could they even really keep track of time with the way they live. Time is just one cosmic being and she can't be expected to keep track of every weirdo out there who is wibble wobble wiming constantly.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Was also really nice to see Mel get to be a serious, competent professional on screen who wasn't just there to shriek and run around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Donna negotiating salary and benefits with Kate the moment she was offered a job opportunity ruled too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

Donna negotiating salary and benefits with Kate the moment she was offered a job opportunity ruled too.

Donna finally gets a solid job with good pay (and doesn't have to give away the money this time)

Also I knew the spoiler about the end and yet, I was still surprised and touched by the scene with Donna's family at the end. Lovely way to wrap that up.

Onward to Ncuti who looks to be a wonderful Doctor already.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That 4th picture, I did not expect club Doctor

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1733599927849095529?s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harlock posted:

That 4th picture, I did not expect club Doctor

There's a shot in the NEXT TIME trailer of the Doctor, seen from above, doing a full twirl on the dance floor wearing a kilt and it looks incredible, I can't wait for Christmas!

Anyway, this is clearly just the Doctor getting back to those halcyon days of his youth when he was a wild young kid:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Khanstant posted:

How could they even really keep track of time with the way they live. Time is just one cosmic being and she can't be expected to keep track of every weirdo out there who is wibble wobble wiming constantly.

I imagine the TARDIS keeps track of relative Gallifreyan mean time. Whether the Doctor looks at that ever is another matter.