Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Optimus suplexing Starscream is not something I knew I needed in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That's the guy who did Do A Powerbomb right?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Alacron posted:

That's the guy who did Do A Powerbomb right?

Correct

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Lobok posted:

THOOM and BOOM are always great but G1 Transformers combat sounded to me like a swordfight with girders or someone bowling if every sound had been run through a metallic synthesizer filter. You can't make every onomatopoeia CLANK obviously but there must be more.

Fortunately, lots of sci-fi sound effects are already made by hitting metals together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0wIdGxfbQ

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uthor posted:

Well I normally have zero interest in Transformers.

My friend who has no affection for Transformers bought it for DWJ, and really liked it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Open Marriage Night posted:

My friend who has no affection for Transformers bought it for DWJ, and really liked it.

I loved Transformers as a kid but haven't followed anything since Beast Wars. I picked this up entirely for DWJ and it was a good choice. There's a heartwarming essay in the back about how important Transformers were to him as a kid and how this is a really big deal for him. I hope it does well!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They just started a new shared universe, so far it void rivals and transformers.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
They are working on GI Joe as well. They have a Duke and Cobra Commander series. There are previews of both but I can't find them right now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:emptyquote:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Daniel Warren Johnson is just the best. This is from his new Transformers book.

Not technically a panel from a comic, but Daniel Warren Johnson posted this on that site...

https://x.com/danielwarrenart/status/1712875676875849934?s=20

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Superman: Up in the Sky 6 (2020)

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Well we may as well lock the thread cause nothing is topping that

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get that Superman talks to people respectfully but is there something else specific to that story as to why he keeps saying that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I get that Superman talks to people respectfully but is there something else specific to that story as to why he keeps saying that?

Because Tom King loves repeating things/ironic echoes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Ahhhhhhhh so this is what James Gunn is gonna use as a blueprint for part of the movie. Makes sense. I like it, actually, and I usually hate Tom King's bullshit.

TwoPair posted:

Because Tom King loves repeating things/ironic echoes
He's like Jeph Loeb in that his artists do a lot more heavy lifting for his writing than people admit to. The repetition gimmick is fine, it works in most cases actually, but his characterization is usually dogshit. That "therapy" book he did for DC was a loving embarrassment and showed that he's got little other than a handful of tricks.

No, I don't care about what a salty piece of poo poo this makes me.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah sorry, it's hard to read that sequence as anything other than a cynical, facile play to get circulated online. Something memeable rather than meaningful. It's hard to sustain tension and excitement over just a sequence of panels that are just repetitions of "but Superman is the strongest of all" rugpulls. He couldn't even have Superman not look angry when rescuing a little girl. Superman, at his best written, is so much more than this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah sorry, it's hard to read that sequence as anything other than a cynical, facile play to get circulated online. Something memeable rather than meaningful. It's hard to sustain tension and excitement over just a sequence of panels that are just repetitions of "but Superman is the strongest of all" rugpulls. He couldn't even have Superman not look angry when rescuing a little girl. Superman, at his best written, is so much more than this.

From the same issue.
Hes talking to the little girl he rescued.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lobok posted:

It's a callback/throughline of the run and it loses a bit without the setup.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

In the actual comic, these are interspersed with pages showing the heroes back on Earth getting their asses kicked by the exact same types of robots. Whether that makes it better or worse is up to you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

From the same issue.

That happens afterwards. There is no indication that the sequence above is not an objective account of events.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is my preferred one

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SimonChris posted:

I have no neck and I must look down

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its kind of half and half?
There definite superman fanboying for this run but theres some level of knowledge that he really is just a nice, decent guy underneath it all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rigged Death Trap posted:

From the same issue.

I like this way better than Clark talking like the writer is going out of his way to make him sound like a square

although it kinda maybe underscores why i didnt like king's batman run at all

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"I have made this impossibly strong material that nothing can ever break"
"nope"

is the superman problem in a nutshell.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't even think it's the Superman problem except for the most dull of writers. The problem is the sequence focuses on here's an unbeatable thing oh he beat it when the focus SHOULD be on "Superman challenges insurmountable odds to save one child" which is the important part. No one cares Superman is strong enough to break the unbreakable thing, but you can make someone care Superman will go through hell and back to save a scared kid because that's what he does. I don't think this is even a good version of that.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Glagha posted:

I don't even think it's the Superman problem except for the most dull of writers. The problem is the sequence focuses on here's an unbeatable thing oh he beat it when the focus SHOULD be on "Superman challenges insurmountable odds to save one child" which is the important part. No one cares Superman is strong enough to break the unbreakable thing, but you can make someone care Superman will go through hell and back to save a scared kid because that's what he does. I don't think this is even a good version of that.

It sounds so hideous to say this but I almost want to say the right way to do that is just have Superman break his own hands to get out of it. It's not about him being the most powerful thing out there, it's about him being so loving HUMAN. He will do whatever it takes and that does not involve how strong he is. He is just this embodiment of pure human love and how alien the concept truly is when you are faced with it. Superman is the ideal of what we all should be and strength is not the main part of that.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah. Tbh I don't really read a lot of superman, but it's a weird choice to have him bear the same body language when rescuing a scared little girl that he has when facing an invincible army. Like, it feels like you could convey what's important to superman if you instead had him take up a much smaller space in that hole by taking a knee and extending an open hand with a warm smile to the little girl.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

TGG posted:

It sounds so hideous to say this but I almost want to say the right way to do that is just have Superman break his own hands to get out of it. It's not about him being the most powerful thing out there, it's about him being so loving HUMAN. He will do whatever it takes and that does not involve how strong he is. He is just this embodiment of pure human love and how alien the concept truly is when you are faced with it. Superman is the ideal of what we all should be and strength is not the main part of that.

Many writers also forget that he's supposed to be really actually quite smart, and good writers find ways to have him thinking a way out of problems that force alone can't solve.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Like, it feels like you could convey what's important to superman if you instead had him take up a much smaller space in that hole by taking a knee and extending an open hand with a warm smile to the little girl.

Yeah, this would have been a lot better. But Tom King is ex-CIA, he probably thinks kids love it when you break down their door yelling in the middle of the night to take their parents away.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

SimonChris posted:

In the actual comic, these are interspersed with pages showing the heroes back on Earth getting their asses kicked by the exact same types of robots. Whether that makes it better or worse is up to you.

I'm curious as to how. Isn't Martian Manhunter pretty much green Superman but also bendy? Was he on PTO?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

I'm curious as to how. Isn't Martian Manhunter pretty much green Superman but also bendy?

Much like all comic questions, the answer is "depends on who's writing him"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Elissimpark posted:

I'm curious as to how. Isn't Martian Manhunter pretty much green Superman but also bendy? Was he on PTO?

Yeah but he gets sad when he so much as sees some fire

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honestly, I'm no Tom King afficionado but I did read S:UitS when it was published and have reread it since then because it's basically Superman doing the 12 Labors of Heracles. He spends a lot of time doing things that aren't punching or laser eyes, and it's a very emotional series. The fact that, when he hets to the end of the trail, the bad guy just decides to flex on him with overwhelming physical might, so he finally resorts to punching real hard is actually a pretty good moment, because it's framed by a lot of time spent not doing that. I understand that it might not come over as well with just these panels to work with, but I think it's a good story, it's a good Superman story, and I think dismissing it out of hand is hasty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So it's just another All Star Superman?

I mean, there's much worse comics to crib from, but All Star Superman is Superman doing the 12 Labors, Grant Morrison even directly said that in interviews as it was coming out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

iirc he gets salty about that during the Black Lanterns arc. "I'm as strong as Superman. Why does everyone always forget that? :mad:"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Endless Mike posted:

*Despero setting fire to the Oreo factory*

"This is either the most brilliant or exceedingly stupid plan."

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

iirc he gets salty about that during the Black Lanterns arc. "I'm as strong as Superman. Why does everyone always forget that? :mad:"

Superman isn't weak against a Zippo?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"weak to a shiny green/red/blue/whatever new color rock" is not much better

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"weak to a shiny green/red/blue/whatever new color rock" is not much better

To be fair, Kryptonite is supposed to be rare. Fire is very abundant.

Which does make me wonder, is MM unique in his fire phobia or are all Martians susceptible? Because my human-centric view of advanced species kind of views fire as a necessity to protect against elements and whatnot. Maybe if your entire race can shapeshift and fly, maybe hiding in a cave from rain or snow isn't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didn't MM have a fire phobia because it was pstd trigger, not like a species wide thing? like he saw his people consumed by fire by the white martians or something? did i just totally make that up?