Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Player, singular. And Ohtani's getting this because they can slap his face on a bunch of poo poo at an unprecedented scale. It's all poo poo.

Everything is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Meanwhile, literally everything at the stadium and on the broadcast is sponsored and covered in advertising and crappy beer costs $15.

I think I might hate MLB.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
As you should, but it’s not the players’ fault.

bravesword posted:

They’re going to flip him, probably for more than they could have gotten for Evan White. Assuming no money changes hands in this deal and they can find someone to take Stassi, they will have unloaded almost all the dead money they picked up in the Kelenic trade.

In more important news, this happened. (To the White Sox for PTBNL.) Everyone share your favorite memories of the Max Stassi era.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

EXTRA EXTRA! THERE'S A HUGE NEW DEAL!
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1733630112925434315?s=20

e: gently caress I got scooped I'm gonna lose my newsie cap!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bravesword posted:

As you should, but it’s not the players’ fault.

It's not James Outman's fault but Ohtani's making complicit money.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i echo an earlier poster who said they remember vividly how insane ARod's deal for $252m was and how it seemed like the most impossible number imaginable. and yet we are just a couple years away from some $1b player, most likely in baseball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Player, singular. And Ohtani's getting this because they can slap his face on a bunch of poo poo at an unprecedented scale. It's all poo poo.
yeah it’s a shame that Guggenheim money hasn’t ended up in the pocket of any other great baseball players, just this one

Hopefully they can rectify that soon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Man that's such a massive gut punch for Blue Jay fans.

Not to this one, I never expected that the Jays would land Ohtani at all, so I didn't buy into any of the hype or get my expectations raised. Also, I think not getting him leaves much more flexibility for spending to fill more holes. I don't think getting Ohtani would be the silver bullet to fix the Blue Jays and take them from mediocre to the World Series. I don't think there are any silver bullets.

Dec 10, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay please stop

I am adrift

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

"My billionaire owner is better than yours" is owner propaganda.

what about a billionaire player, which is what Ohtani will be in a few years

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m glad Shohei is getting paid but it’s kinda boring that he’s going to a team that has already won 100 games 5 of the last 6 non-Covid years

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Jesus gently caress thank god he didn't go to the goddamn Cubs

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

yeah it’s a shame that Guggenheim money hasn’t ended up in the pocket of any other great baseball players, just this one

Hopefully they can rectify that soon.

The Dodgers have four players making over $10 million in 2024: three of the most marketable players in the game, and Chris Taylor.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo the Angels should be contracted

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Move them to Las Vegas too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kirios posted:

As someone whose team never had a chance to sign Shohei this entire saga has been highly depressing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This loving sucks. Now I can't even buy a jersey. I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

700 mil/10 years would be too much for Jesus Christ, even if Jesus Christ was the best baseball player in the world, and He lands you a bigger fanbase than Japan.

Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball???

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

General Dog posted:

700 mil/10 years would be too much for Jesus Christ, even if Jesus Christ was the best baseball player in the world, and He lands you a bigger fanbase than Japan.

Jesus Christ? Who'd he ever beat?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I am feeling for you mdemone, as my Pynchon/McCarthy homie and also as somebody who just over ten years ago watched my all-time baseball hero, the man who literally turned me into a fan of the sport overnight, Albert Pujols sign with...the Los Angeles Angels. It's like poetry, it rhymes etc.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mdemone posted:

This loving sucks. Now I can't even buy a jersey. I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat.

What Angels fan would care? It's not like Ohtani betrayed the team.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m glad Shohei is getting paid but it’s kinda boring that he’s going to a team that has already won 100 games 5 of the last 6 non-Covid years

Yeah it is pretty lame but he's done his time, RIP Tungsten arm.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Its Rinaldo posted:

What Angels fan would care? It's not like Ohtani betrayed the team.

The bigger problem was that the Angels should have traded him at the deadline if the market was known to go that high.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The Dodgers have four players making over $10 million in 2024: three of the most marketable players in the game, and Chris Taylor.
Buehler should join that group before too long

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

The bigger problem was that the Angels should have traded him at the deadline if the market was known to go that high.

Or offer him $800M and none of this ever happens

Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mdemone posted:

Or offer him $800M and none of this ever happens

Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani

Dodgers fans are fine to say "not my money" but this was a number few orgs will touch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The deferral being “most of his salary” means it isn’t really a number other teams can’t touch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Dodgers fans are fine to say "not my money" but this was a number few orgs will touch.

Arte Moreno decided not to sell because he was informed that his franchise valuation was going to increase substantially

BUT

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I'm so happy rogers didn't spend money, my phone bill is high enough

I am now becoming a dodgers fan, ohtani jersey is en route

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm glad Ohtani is getting paid, good for him.

I'm sad Ohtani is still not going to get rings when the Dodgers lose to the Astros.

I'm not sad the Dodgers will lose.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

The deferral being “most of his salary” means it isn’t really a number other teams can’t touch

It is if you don't want to pay loads of tax. And who knows if he made that offer to other teams (I'm presuming he was interested in staying geographically close to the west coast here.)

I'll be called an owner propagandist, but I'm also the first person to say that there should be a salary floor tied to revenues. If you want to take on this kind of contract value you're going to be paying in loads towards teams that don't. I think it's a serious problem but the owners just agreed to add one more team in a revenue sharing location and remove a team from a high-value market in one stroke so the problem is only getting worse before it gets better.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

"We need to recreate Shohei Ohtani in the aggregate."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Jesus gently caress thank god he didn't go to the goddamn Cubs

mods

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I am happy for my beautiful boy Shohei, make that paper son

I am also happy for bawfuls, seems fun to sign the most talented baseballer in a century during his prime

Me to Jed Hoyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA

Bregor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 18, 2023

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I already got my heart broken by a girl in Chicago this year, I don't need this additional suffering

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I can't believe he signed with the Angels cross town rivals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well thank god he's out of the AL at least