Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Holybat posted:

Related to that my group and I don't really play classic all our games the past few years have been using Alpha Strike. I'm curious how regular players feel about the ilClan era in terms of weapons and equipment? There seems to be a LOT of stuff to keep track of
A lot of the so-called advanced weapons & equipment in ilClan era are simple to play. Simple enough to be included in BattleMech Manual, which is the most recommended rulebook for 'Mech play today.

Edit: if you know how to track heat and ammo like you would in any other era, you can play ilClan. It's not like you don't have to look at special equipment in Alpha Strike either, yeah?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah that's not bad at all. Forty bucks for the AGOAC 30 for Clan invasion, :10bux: if you want extras of the Griffin and Wolverine from the starter.
Oh yeah, wasn't there someone on this thread who said they wanted just a Timber Wolf or something? Real nice price for that and much more

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I would like to give Catalyst money to order a box of cardboard.

The box is $40.

Shipping is $320. To Australia.

Apparently I need to pay for shipping via Jump Ship. What level of incompetence is this.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Comstar posted:

I would like to give Catalyst money to order a box of cardboard.

The box is $40.

Shipping is $320. To Australia.

Apparently I need to pay for shipping via Jump Ship. What level of incompetence is this.

Maybe you should talk to someone stateside and see what shipping would be privately to Australia. Maybe someone could help buy it for you and ship it cheaper.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I tried to ship some books from the US to Germany and it was prohibitively much, and that's a lot closer :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah their shipping is terrible outside the USA.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I looked at buying some minis from a couple of UK manufacturers but decided against it when I saw that shipping to the US was $40 to $60 USD

I figured shipping from NA to Australia would be pretty expensive, but $300+?? Converting to US that's over $200 USD which is quite a bit more than I would've guessed

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 9, 2023

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

A lot of the so-called advanced weapons & equipment in ilClan era are simple to play. Simple enough to be included in BattleMech Manual, which is the most recommended rulebook for 'Mech play today.

Edit: if you know how to track heat and ammo like you would in any other era, you can play ilClan. It's not like you don't have to look at special equipment in Alpha Strike either, yeah?

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a lot of equipment but most of it is niche, rare, and avoidable; which means you can pick and choose what you want to try without it being too overwhelming.

Cool thanks for the info, my group has been playing in the ilClan era and I'd like to try to get them interested in transitioning some of our games to classic BT. I like Alpha Strike a lot, but it does lose granularity and sometimes that's just really fun to see just how messed up a mech can get in combat.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's more stuff but, like the power curve of equipment, the level of complexity hasn't risen since the early 90s. C3 is still the most complex equipment in the game just like how the four Clan superweapons are still better than everything they've added to the game since then (Society tech not included).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The presence of more stuff and the fact that the line developers have realized "Oh poo poo, the cLRM-20, cERPPC, cLPL, and cERML are all OP" means they don't get slotted into designs quite as often; or become a showpiece weapon rather than something that's being boated.

Things like the Rifleman IIC only happened by accident. The Hellstar was on purpose, but it was designed for a different game.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Interesting.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What about the Crucible :colbert:

It's funny that many of the Clan "no frills, budget weapons only" designs (like the Blood Kite) are clan ER laser/LRM boats. Of course I guess it was the same in 3025 with medium laser boats...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

I looked at buying some minis from a couple of UK manufacturers but decided against it when I saw that shipping to the US was $40 to $60 USD

I figured shipping from NA to Australia would be pretty expensive, but $300+?? Converting to US that's over $200 USD which is quite a bit more than I would've guessed

You need to check with the manufacturers regarding shipping since 40-60 for UK->US shipping is absurd. You can get fully tracked and insured shipping for £15 for a 1kg parcel.

Catalyst's shipping problem is they insist on shipping with a courier (UPS or FedEx IIRC) which inflates costs horrendously. They wanted over $100 to ship a company of Urbies costing $40.

IWM is hardly better with $40 shipping on $10 goods. With the "quality" of their designs I guess the only way they're still around is the fanbase is largely domestic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

What about the Crucible :colbert:

Play with quirks, being Oversized sucks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Based on the kickstarter, the number of people who are willing to spend even a single dollar on this game are like 80% Americans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrostyPox posted:

I can probably sort you out forwarding stuff if you're really intent on getting UK manufacturers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The only UK "manufacturer" who charges crazy shipping prices is Defiance Industries (No relation to the goon of the same name). And I've just found out they're apparently a pirate to boot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There are multiple people using the name that I stole first, and all of them are my sworn enemy.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for the info, I have never actually tried to buy anything from the UK before so I just assumed $40+ was normal.

It's not for anything I'm really jonesing to buy, just stuff I saw randomly a few months ago that looked neat. If I do end up buying any stuff from the UK I will definitely keep it in mind

EDIT: I think it was for VOID 1.1 stuff, I just have a soft spot for old, janky 90s sculpts

EDIT EDIT: Yeah it was VOID 1.1 stuff from Seb Games but I misremembered and it was 40 bucks for packages 2KG or more which is very different than just a flat 40 bucks!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 10, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Was international shipping for the Kickstarters any better? Wonder if the predetermined arrangement would have had an impact at all

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

be a whole lot cooler (and more expensive) if it were 'mech scale.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If it was 'Mechscale it'd be nearly a foot in diameter. 81.5m --1:285--> 11.2"

A Mammoth- or Aqueduct-class at Mechscale would be over 3 feet in diameter.

And a 'mechscale Argo-class would be almost exactly 3'8" long

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Owlbear Camus posted:

be a whole lot cooler (and more expensive) if it were 'mech scale.

https://hardwarestudios.co/product/monitor-dropship/

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, after several months of playing Classic Battletech with one FLGS, I played some Alpha Strike at a different one. Still a very big fan of both games, and I was wondering if there were some Classic Btech duds that work well in Alpha Strike?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Holybat posted:

I'd be on board if CGL would just commit and redo some of the damage values on ballistic weapons. I don't see why they couldn't just do a blanket revision rename the AC/2 to light autocannon, AC/5 to medium, and so on in an errata which would then give them a free hand to not have to have a gun do 2 points of damage because it's in the name.

proposal:
ac/20 is autocannon
ac/10 is autorifle
ac/5 is auto-???
ac/2 is auto-???

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

biosterous posted:

proposal:
ac/20 is autocannon
ac/10 is autorifle
ac/5 is auto-???
ac/2 is auto-???

autopistol
autoairsoft

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Z the IVth posted:

The only UK "manufacturer" who charges crazy shipping prices is Defiance Industries (No relation to the goon of the same name). And I've just found out they're apparently a pirate to boot.
Oh yeah, that store charges nuts prices shipping to the UK even. I looked at the Etsy store and it was getting to the point where it was just cheaper to buy resin for a friend and ask them to print a bunch of stuff than it was to ship a single Leopard to me.

biosterous posted:

proposal:
ac/2 is auto-???
Auto-AA.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
AC/2 and AC/5 both become the AC/5, but they trade range brackets and the bigger one becomes the Ultra AC/5 (and LB 5-X).

The JagerMech suddenly becomes armed with paired AC/5s and paired LB 5-Xs.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 10, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LaSquida posted:

So, after several months of playing Classic Battletech with one FLGS, I played some Alpha Strike at a different one. Still a very big fan of both games, and I was wondering if there were some Classic Btech duds that work well in Alpha Strike?

The classic Shadow Hawk 2H is a mech that I will defend to my dying breath but it is incalculably better in Alpha Strike than in standard.

biosterous posted:

proposal:
ac/20 is autocannon
ac/10 is autorifle
ac/5 is auto-???
ac/2 is auto-???

The thing many people don't generally think about with regards to Autocannons is that when your optimization criteria is "fixed number of 'Mechs, prioritize individual capability" that ACs are bad, but when your optimization criteria changes in any way away from that toward something like "variable number of 'Mechs, prioritize BV efficiency" that Autocannons tend to show up on a lot of the most ruinously efficient 'Mechs in the game.

Autocannons do not need to be fixed, and if they were "fixed" they'd probably make a good chunk of the 'Mechs where they're fine less efficient - that "fix" comes with an inarguable increase in weapon BV.

....the AC/2 and most of its variants are still really bad, but AC/5s are solidly okay even in the Succession Wars and their higher-tech variants are decent to good. Clan AC/5 variants are outright good and when used well are great. Yeah your Succession Wars 'Mech with a straight-swap to PPC is going to perform better, but it's going to cost more for it and that's not always a good trade to make.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The problem isn't just damage to tonnage, it's also that ammunition explosions are so punishing that not having ammo just becomes an explanation unto itself. When energy weapon heat was harder to mitigate, it was a sacrifice you kind of needed to make, but not so much anymore. Not only because of double heat sinks, but also XL engines making it possible to practically employ giant engines that you can stuff 15 to 20 DHS into.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Not enough players running Plasma Rifles imho

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Specifically not enough designs using the Defiance NovaShot Model 2. They should replace the PPCs on the Defiance with them.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm sure I've posted this before, but in one Mechwarrior Living Legends patch we accidentally turned PPCs into Plasma Rifles by causing them to transfer a bunch of heat to the target. They were (as you'd expect) super good.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

LaSquida posted:

Most mechs are way better in Alpha Strike than BattleTech. Banshee and Cyclops are bots I can think of that play way better in AS.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If you're balancing your games with BV (which you should be) the heavy weight of Autocannons can actually be a benefit as it pushes BVs down by quite a bit. Ammo explosions are a big liability but they're also great fun.

Personally, if I was going to fix Autocannons I would give AC/5s and AC/2s some kind of multi-shot capability by default and then buff the UAC and RAC versions to compensate. I think there's an optional rule to that effect, but I remember the penalties being pretty brutal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The lighter autocannon could fire way faster in the Solaris dueling rules that I remember reading once and then forgetting where I found them. They're not in the ruleset that came with the map sheets anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Give AC-2s some kind of called/aimed shot bonus.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

want!

Any more information on this and when it might be available? Its actually funny this came up because I asked the Catalyst people about making something like this at PAX West, and they sort of just avoided and side stepped around my question.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This lot are a late Kickstarter thing to help out with one of the IWM team's medical bills. I haven't heard if they intend them to be a retail item later or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It would be weird to spend the resources to make it shelf presentable if it's not intended to end up on shelves.