Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've just now finished the episode and here are my rational, well-formed thoughts:

L;OASDKJHFFG;ASLKDJG;LASKDJFG;LAKSDJFG;LAK
;'ALSKLD :psyboom: FG;LOK ASDF;FG :woop: OAJKSDLF;AJ ASD;LFAKSJDLFKAJSD;F AS;DLFKJ SDAF;LGKJASDF G;;JAKJSDFFF

l;ksdkhjfl;gksjdf;glkasjdf;

;ldskfjg;lskfgjb

I think I liked it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

hahahah that was bloody brilliant

when they panned to the gold tooth on the balcony and the hand with the red fingernails picked it up, I said "oh, gently caress you" out loud

10/10 :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We already know 15 owns. Goblins are great. Ruby is now the bigger unknown element. I don't actually have any skepticism whatsoever, I'm just excited to see all the elements combined.

The_Doctor posted:

I imagine the TARDIS keeps track of relative Gallifreyan mean time. Whether the Doctor looks at that ever is another matter.

Fair enough, plus TARDIS probably needs to be using some point or other for its relative dimensioning.

I hope we get to meet her in person form again, she was great at embodying its chaotic busy vast personality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really cannot wait for Gatwa's first full episode, he's having so much fun up there.

Really solid ending to this trilogy, and a good start for the new one. I also loved Donna instantly negotiating better pay and vacation time, Tate is the best in those moments. Pure gently caress Yeah energy.

I also appreciate that not only was 15 just running around in his underwear, nobody noticed it or commented on it. Everyone was like "Let him cook."

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Really solid ending to this trilogy, and a good start for the new one. I also loved Donna instantly negotiating better pay and vacation time, Tate is the best in those moments. Pure gently caress Yeah energy.

120 thousand pounds a year still seem pretty low for a job where you're stopping the end of the world on a regular basis.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
That's UK salaries for you

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
RIP random UNIT techs who got turned into plasitic balls. You never even merited a six figure salary probably.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 10, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Screaming UNIT balls followed by Fourteen shouting “never mind them they’re dead” got a very dark laugh out of me lol

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Zohar posted:

That's UK salaries for you

Yeah I'll be honest £120000 a year sounds like loving incredible money for most jobs to me. I am completely caught in the trap of the UK's terrible salary norms.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So I’m trying to figure out whether the whole situation on Earth was everyone just saying what they’re thinking without common sense stopping them?

Because if so, Kate basically revealed she thinks Shirley is faking/overplaying her disability since she can walk at times, which is very awkward…

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Zaroff posted:

So I’m trying to figure out whether the whole situation on Earth was everyone just saying what they’re thinking without common sense stopping them?

Because if so, Kate basically revealed she thinks Shirley is faking/overplaying her disability since she can walk at times, which is very awkward…

Yes, I think the explicit intent of that scene was "actually, even good people, even people who are on "the side of the angels", have such thoughts sometimes - you are not immune to widely-held cultural bigotries etc.".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, in case people don't have context: 60k would be reasonable for a middle class desk job, not great, probably not enough for Donna's husband to stop driving the cab, but enough to be ok on. 120k would be pretty good (it's about 6-7 times minimum wage), although technically the holidays she asked for are less than she's legally required to have in the UK, assuming the position is full time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lines posted:

Yes, I think the explicit intent of that scene was "actually, even good people, even people who are on "the side of the angels", have such thoughts sometimes - you are not immune to widely-held cultural bigotries etc.".

Yeah, the idea is that Kate has those thoughts, but would normally realise that she's wrong and not act on them, but the Toymaker's 'spell' meant she never did that step.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

First Chibnall, now RTD; I'm really not enjoying this lack of Osgood.
I miss Osgood too. :(

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, in case people don't have context: 60k would be reasonable for a middle class desk job, not great, probably not enough for Donna's husband to stop driving the cab, but enough to be ok on. 120k would be pretty good (it's about 6-7 times minimum wage), although technically the holidays she asked for are less than she's legally required to have in the UK, assuming the position is full time.

I assume she meant 35 days leave rather than 5 weeks (28 days being the standard, which Google tells me is 5.6 working weeks).

One for the HR negotiation when formal onboarding happens. I reckon Donna'll have it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Uh, as someone who may have skipped a few episodes here and there, how was Clara killed by a bird?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Uh, as someone who may have skipped a few episodes here and there, how was Clara killed by a bird?

She got killed by a bird. The episode was called Face the Raven, it was some sort of death raven, she got killed by it. It sort of made sense at the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Remember that the one thing Donna did for herself/the family with the money was to buy their home outright. They'll still have to pay associated homeowning costs on top of just the general cost of living, but that basically means though they're struggling and have to work, they have a level of security/safety net that a lot of other people don't. A 60k a year job now will be a very, very welcome relief.

Anyway, completely unrelated to that, I keep having a giggle (:haw:) over NPH's delivery and expressions when he explains Clara was killed by a bird :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/IwXJftp.mp4

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

There was a bird that kills you if it flies into you, and it flew into Clara, killing her.

e: f,b

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, I know all that, but The Toymaker reducing it down to,"She was killed by..... a bird!" and his,"Wait... really?" expression absolutely killed me.

Edit: Oh, I somehow missed other posts talking about this, and didn't realize I'd brought it up independently in my post!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
All three episodes hinged their climax on an rear end-pull (the idea of Nothing becoming aware of Something and trying to become is so much more interesting than the cartoon villains they got turned into because "hate is louder", sure okay whatever), so at least this final rear end-pull is so very interesting and paves the way for just absolute fucktons of interesting possibilities. Hell yes, give me a universe where every Doctor is extant out there with their own TARDIS and they can bump into each other maybe, I am so very down for that. Especially if Eccleston and Whittaker want to drop by a bit, we didn't get enough time with him and she was so very poorly served by her writers.

Also I hope that "forever" isn't actually all that long, because NPH loving killed it and I want him to be recurring.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

I miss Osgood too. :(

I enjoyed it when she showed up but I'm pretty happy with where we left her. When she first shows up she's a fun Doctor fangirl, appropriate for the 50th anniversary. That gives us a named character that we like to be killed cruelly and callously by Missy. And then the last time we see her she's still got a fascination with the Doctor, but she's also got her own thing that's more important. It's a nice, solid character arc and she gets a better resolution than most of the people in proximity to the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Also I hope that "forever" isn't actually all that long, because NPH loving killed it and I want him to be recurring.

Dhawan is fantastic and I'd love to see him with RTD's writing (or Gomez!) but I would not at all be averse to the Master coming out of the tooth looking like NPH :hellyeah:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rochallor posted:

I enjoyed it when she showed up but I'm pretty happy with where we left her. When she first shows up she's a fun Doctor fangirl, appropriate for the 50th anniversary. That gives us a named character that we like to be killed cruelly and callously by Missy. And then the last time we see her she's still got a fascination with the Doctor, but she's also got her own thing that's more important. It's a nice, solid character arc and she gets a better resolution than most of the people in proximity to the Doctor.

Also she might be a Zygon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Toymaker's "Well, that's alright then!" cracked me up every time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

The Toymaker's "Well, that's alright then!" cracked me up every time.

I love how his delivery was the exact same every time but the context made each repetition feel more and more mocking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It would have been kind of cool if all the undercover Zygons had been the ones working in UNIT while the humans were affected by the Giggle and going nuts. It would have unfortunately settled without doubt if both Osgoods were Zygons or not though I guess.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Also I like the theory I saw someone put forth on YouTube on a clip of the Toymaker's first appearance -- the reason he uses strange, stereotypical accents that he slips in and out of is because the Doctor beat him the first time by imitating his voice, and like gently caress he's gonna leave that door open again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

Well that's alright then!

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if this Doctor will get a job as a curator?

I'm concerned this is how we get The Valeyard.

On another note - don't get me wrong, I love NPH. But when he mentioned turning G-d into a jack-in-the-box, my brain went instantly to Billy Mumy.

Sean Pertwee also could have made a fun Toymaker, you 'd still get the Batman connection :)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rochallor posted:

:kiss:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

basicblack posted:

I'm concerned this is how we get The Valeyard.

We already got the Valeyard, and I can't wait for Toby Jones to return!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

RTD has given us a new meme that everyone will be using for as long as we're talking about the show. I have to wonder if he was diabolical enough to do intentionally...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I thought it was a fantastically barbed skewer of the Moffat era, followed by a sort of "??? The flux???" to summarise Chibnall's time, which, fair, yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That little aside of "I made your history a jigsaw, did you enjoy it?" line could (or might not ever have to) do an enormous amount of heavy lifting too. I loved the Doctor's kind of quizzical,"Wait, what does that mean?" reaction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He has a thing for redheads

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Jerusalem posted:

We already got the Valeyard, and I can't wait for Toby Jones to return!

OOOOHHH YEAH...

I will wait for Dobby's return...

ALSO - summer pants is no pants :)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

lines posted:

I thought it was a fantastically barbed skewer of the Moffat era, followed by a sort of "??? The flux???" to summarise Chibnall's time, which, fair, yeah.

It honestly felt like RTD knowing Moffat's a good enough writer to take it (also I'm reminded of Moffat doing a similar thing to RTD's companions in Let's Kill Hitler), while he treated Chibnall with kid gloves by just following up on the Flux point instead of trying to gently mock him, too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

It honestly felt like RTD knowing Moffat's a good enough writer to take it (also I'm reminded of Moffat doing a similar thing to RTD's companions in Let's Kill Hitler), while he treated Chibnall with kid gloves by just following up on the Flux point instead of trying to gently mock him, too.

It wasn't on the show, but I do remember after the Timeless Child reveal, both RTD and Moffat cracking some good-natured ribbing at Chibnall on twitter about everybody who had appeared in their runs of the show having actually secretly been the Doctor all along :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lines posted:

I don't think it was a skewer because while the companions lived, the Doctor was never happy with how things turned out. It most definitely was not "all right then", it's just the companion avoided the worst outcome.