Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I always go back to the rumbler. It’s just a really fun weapon and I love banking shots around corners.

There's only so many times I can land a body shot on something, watch the grenade fly into the air, then see the guy get finished off by a teammate before the grenade lands and explodes before I give up and switch to a different gun. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah that is the frustrating part. Or it bounces off a catwalk or something.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There should be more portrait frames and weapon keychains. Also the Auric Charm should be much bigger. Nobody notices that I'm a coolguy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like the kickback but I'm a new ogryn. The other guns are all fun so far but nothing has beaten the boomstick for satisfaction.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There should be more portrait frames and weapon keychains. Also the Auric Charm should be much bigger. Nobody notices that I'm a coolguy.

Agreed, but I'd like a bit more variety in their appearance.

There are just so many frames with gold wings and skulls that I can't remember what most of them correspond to, so when I see an underleveled pubbie on Damnation with one of those frames, I never know if it's someone's first character (and will need shepherding).

Whereas, thanks to the limited number of insignias, if I see someone playing a low level with the insignia/ribbon for 50 missions as another class, or for killing 10,000 scabs, it's at least a sign that they hopefully know what they're doing. Those are visually distinctive enough that I can easily tell what they mean.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Forgot to check Melk this week for my Zealot, and he delivered me this.

I have no idea what to make of it. It "clears" the horde by knocking everything to the ground with its light attack string, except monstrosities and bulwarks. Bulwarks got down with a special attack. Sadly, most of the time they get back up, but it is pretty funny holding w and spamming m1 and knocking groups of ragers and maulers onto the ground.
Unlike the pre-patched crusher/thunderhammers, the new crusher does good damage to all the stuff you knock around:

But since most of the enemies you hit get knocked on the floor you basically have to do some floor sweeping in between some of your hits.

Edit: Also I've posted about this a couple times before but the best crowd-control attack string I've found is 3x lights into 1x heavy repeat. Or if you want to be fancy do a light into heavy first before doing the repeat combo so you avoid the overhead attack.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 9, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.playdarktide.com/news/zolas-journal-i

A journal entry from Zola.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Arc Light posted:

Agreed, but I'd like a bit more variety in their appearance.

There are just so many frames with gold wings and skulls that I can't remember what most of them correspond to, so when I see an underleveled pubbie on Damnation with one of those frames, I never know if it's someone's first character (and will need shepherding).

Whereas, thanks to the limited number of insignias, if I see someone playing a low level with the insignia/ribbon for 50 missions as another class, or for killing 10,000 scabs, it's at least a sign that they hopefully know what they're doing. Those are visually distinctive enough that I can easily tell what they mean.

Yeah, I recently got the last frame for "War's Not Over," the penance for reviving teammates from capture. It looks quite similar to some of the very basic ones like "hit level 30." At least I've got Raid, Strike, and Assassination all about to hit their final frames.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I feel like I'm getting a better handle on being a Psyker since I picked up Assail but I'm struggling to pick a ranged weapon that I like. Any pointers or suggestions?
I love the idea of a force staff but I'm sure I am going to kill myself via the warp if I'm chucking all the assail shards as well

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really love Surge staff + Assail + Bubble. I'm by no means a pro Psyker, but it seems let me help the team more than I should be able to with my level of skill. I use Surge for mid-range elites, specials, and mostly single-targets. I use Assail to nuke down a horde, or group of less-armored enemies like shotgunners or ragers. I'll use right-click special Assail for anything very far. And then I just spec to bubble as much as I possibly can and try to be johnny on the spot with those.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 9, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I feel like I'm getting a better handle on being a Psyker since I picked up Assail but I'm struggling to pick a ranged weapon that I like. Any pointers or suggestions?
I love the idea of a force staff but I'm sure I am going to kill myself via the warp if I'm chucking all the assail shards as well

Just get used to switching to your staff and holding R to quell peril whenever you have a moment to spare. Don't spam assail on literally everything.

My personal favorite staff right now is Trauma because on high difficulty packs of Crushers, Maulers, and/or Ragers are a major threat. Trauma can put them all on the floor while your team kills them, or you can keep spamming it to finish them off yourself. Trauma can also deal with hordes of poxwalkers no problem. Its primary attack is ok at countering shooters.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If you do want to avoid a staff, the Vraks 7 Headhunter is a good headclicker weapon. The Mark 12 lasgun is good, too.

e: Also, of the staves, Purgatus has the easiest Peril management.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tiny Chalupa posted:

My favorite Psyker playstyle is Voidstrike with venting shriek and then I bounce between the force swords. Although tbh I've not run an assail build yet.

Voidstrike can handle anything in the game both with damage and/or stagger you just have to charge it high enough and it'll stagger crushers too. Make sure to learn that shooting a staff raises your peril beyond the peril generated from charging the shot.

edit: obviously it can't stagger monstrosities

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Just get used to switching to your staff and holding R to quell peril whenever you have a moment to spare. Don't spam assail on literally everything.

My personal favorite staff right now is Trauma because on high difficulty packs of Crushers, Maulers, and/or Ragers are a major threat. Trauma can put them all on the floor while your team kills them, or you can keep spamming it to finish them off yourself. Trauma can also deal with hordes of poxwalkers no problem. Its primary attack is ok at countering shooters.

I've been enjoying Trauma with Venting Shriek and Brain Burst and Illisi Force Sword. Take the talents for Soulblaze (including the one that blasts it with Venting Shriek), go apeshit building up peril (and gaining toughness from that), push yourself to the limit, vent to set everything on fire, drop peril, regain toughness, and start spreading the fire around by chopping down burning targets with the sword.

I don't know that it's the best setup -- I mostly play Zealot and Ogryn -- but it feels like it can deal with a ton of pressure and has tools for any situation. It's also really fun when you blast fire everywhere and specials start dying without any further input from you.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

A psyker who doesn't use a staff is a shameful psyker indeed.

There are a lot of training wheels available to the class to ease into the peril management mini game.

Try the voidstrike staff with transfer peril and venting shriek just to get a feel for it. And then when you are comfortable switch back to assail.

Right now, trauma, voidstrike, and pergatus are all in a very good spot. Trauma has a learning curve as its aiming is super weird compared to every other staff/weapon In the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

A well rolled trauma staff with bubble shield is easy mode because it's damaging against everything except bosses and knocks things on their rear end so you can simply disregard packs of ragers/crushers/bulwarks, with shield making you invincible to shooters. brain burst lets you kill any specials that are outside the staff's max range and gives you the ability to do some amount of boss damage with the quick charge after using your ability.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you everyone! I'm just about unlock bubble shield and I'll start playing with the staffs again

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

All of the staves are viable, if good at different things, and I'd recommend trying all of them because they're unique to psyker. The one I vibe with the most is the Trauma staff, because it can create space for me a little easier if I get cornered by aiming at my own feet, and I enjoy knocking over crusher packs.

Trauma - Can create space by knocking things over, good AOE damage.
Voidstrike - Can stagger a lot of stuff by shooting it in the head, and its charged shots can go through like 10 heads at once, but because it shoots in a line in needs very different positioning from Trauma.
Surge - Zaps things, and can crowd control its targets, but it only hits a couple targets at once, so it can be more vulnerable to being overwhelmed. Also pretty generous on the targeting, so you don't need to line up shots precisely. (It's not great like it was while bugged to benefit from empowered smite, but it's still usable)
Purgatus - Has relatively low stagger power but can bake an entire horde at once if they're light enemies. Great for dog packs.

Psyker can also make fine use of guns, the main candidates IMO being heavy laspistol, revolver, and Columnus V infantry autogun. Often used with Scrier's Gaze, but not necessarily.

Emy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 9, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

What am I aiming for on a zealot shotgun, in terms of perks and blessings? I haven't played with them at all above heresy, but got an okay Agripinaa MkVII i could futz around with

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I personally prefer a Purgatus build, unlike the flamethrower you aren't limited by ammo at all. Also unlock flamer, it actually stuns/suppresses everything but maulers, crushers and monsters. Bulwarks do need to take a swing at you first so you aren't hitting the shield, or be hitting them from behind though.

As much as I love Venting Shriek, bubble is very good utility and unless you're using a scrier's build you should never be exploding, peril management is very straightforward once you get the hang of it.

edit:

big cummers ONLY posted:

What am I aiming for on a zealot shotgun, in terms of perks and blessings? I haven't played with them at all above heresy, but got an okay Agripinaa MkVII i could futz around with

gently caress the Agripana slug shotgun. Get yourself a Kantreal shotgun, get the t2 exclusive Flechette blessing and Scattershot 4, use the Blazing Piety keystone, blurn the loving world to death.

With the a +Infested perk and +infested damage talent in the zealot tree a single incendiary shell can delete a pox walker horde before it even gets to you, and significantly soften up anything that isn't a Crusher. Love my shotgun hobo.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 9, 2023

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

big cummers ONLY posted:

I very badly want a Kantreal with Flechette and Scattershot, but out of the 20 or so I've rolled, I haven't seen a Flechette above lvl 2 and I've never seen Scattershot. As for Agripinaa, you have a lot of options, I use Maniac and Flak for perks and Full Bore and No Respite as my blessings, but there are a lot of combos that work just fine.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

big cummers ONLY posted:

Lawbringer shotgun likes Scattershot (extra crit for every target hit) and Fire frenzy (power on close range kills) and using the duckbill rounds on hordes of poxwalkers. For comedy you can do Scattershot and man-stopper (extra cleave on crit) and shoot power swords. Goes great with a Thunder hammer.

Kantrael fire Shotgun does great with Scattershot and Flechette or No Respite (power on stagger) or Full Bore (power on all pellets on one target) - lots of good options. It's best vs crowds and elites - very good vs Reapers and in a pinch can do 1k on a Crusher on a zealot charge. Goes good with a combat axe for flak/carapace targets or a crusher.

Agripinaa slug shotgun does great with Full Bore because the slug counts as all pellets on one target. No Respite is a good pickup, as is Terrifying Barrage (suppress on close range kill). Lots of good options there too because the normal shots are good for picking off shooters and the slug does an easy 1000 damage or more to weak spots. Goes good with a Heavy Sword, Devil's Claw, or Eviscerator.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

The kantrael is the best out of the shotgun family, and even when then, it's aggressively average.

You set up a crit build with fletchette and scattershot to put a bunch of dots on packs of enemies (with the dragon's breath round having infinite cleave).

Sounds great on paper, mediocre in practice.

Maybe it will get buffed in the future, but I'd save your mats for the time being.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Purgatus and Brain Burst with Venting Shriek is a really strong combo(even if I do still think BB could use a buff to its default casting speed) as Purgatus is probably the single strongest horde clearing weapon in the game(and hordes are usually otherwise the thing Psykers have the hardest time dealing with) while Brain Burst covers dealing with anything outside of fire range(especially Gunners and Snipers) and Venting Shriek both helps with Peril management and provides a convenient panic button as well, not to mention both of the latter two can be configured so you're just constantly setting things on fire with Soul Blaze and it's just really satisfying

Melee choice probably the least important part of the build since Psyker should generally keep melee usage to a minimum if they're using a staff(aside from Surge since that one is single target in nature)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Kantreal blurn build is above average and totally viable, which means it while either get buffed or go untouched and I'm okay with that.

I find the Dueling Sabers have fit a good niche for Purgatus.

cerebral posted:

I very badly want a Kantreal with Flechette and Scattershot, but out of the 20 or so I've rolled, I haven't seen a Flechette above lvl 2 and I've never seen Scattershot. As for Agripinaa, you have a lot of options, I use Maniac and Flak for perks and Full Bore and No Respite as my blessings, but there are a lot of combos that work just fine.

You can't find Flechette above t2 because it is exclusively a t2 blessing for the shotgun family. As for not rolling a scattershot, oof bad luck, keep an eye on melk and keep trying.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

For blessings I like to run:
https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/138 - Reveal Blessings (which lets you see everything on the hadron rebless screen that your weapon can get at each tier)
and also Blessings of the Omnissiah - https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/46 (shows you what blessings are in the shop that you don't have)

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Evil Kit posted:

The Kantreal blurn build is above average and totally viable, which means it while either get buffed or go untouched and I'm okay with that.

I find the Dueling Sabers have fit a good niche for Purgatus.

You can't find Flechette above t2 because it is exclusively a t2 blessing for the shotgun family. As for not rolling a scattershot, oof bad luck, keep an eye on melk and keep trying.

:cripes:

That explains a lot. If scattershot does pop up, what should I shoot for as far as perks?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Purgatus and Brain Burst with Venting Shriek is a really strong combo(even if I do still think BB could use a buff to its default casting speed) as Purgatus is probably the single strongest horde clearing weapon in the game(and hordes are usually otherwise the thing Psykers have the hardest time dealing with) while Brain Burst covers dealing with anything outside of fire range(especially Gunners and Snipers) and Venting Shriek both helps with Peril management and provides a convenient panic button as well, not to mention both of the latter two can be configured so you're just constantly setting things on fire with Soul Blaze and it's just really satisfying

Melee choice probably the least important part of the build since Psyker should generally keep melee usage to a minimum if they're using a staff(aside from Surge since that one is single target in nature)

Lots of good info. I’ve been trying a second build with surge and the bubble with a void staff and it’s alright but I prefer the purg or surge. Haven’t gotten a good trauma staff again but only the Emperor knows what the future holds. Shriek, bb and purg staff with warp charges is just so much fun. Also I’ve gotten so spoiled to shriek that when testing the new alt build I went boom and felt terrible.

I actually melee a good amount in between purging and still love the force sword. Decent horde clear, hit charge for bigger dudes and my favourite thing about it: able to quell peril. Sabre sadly does not do it but, since I took things to increase my deadliness with peril I’m constantly doing a dance with my high peril. Sabre is great but force sword fits how I play.

Dr Rockso calling shriek a panic button is so right on. So many times I have a crowd of Maulers, Ragers and Crushers among a crowd I hit Shriek and now everyone staggers and gets a soulblaze dot. Hack with that sword and it just keeps spreading. Soulblaze is life! For me at least. Death for heretics tho

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Purgatus/Brainburst/Bubble is my build for Auric 5s and it does great. Use BB to pick off priority targets, switch to staff when hordes show up, spam bubbles with near 100% uptime as long as it's not getting broken by sheer damage. Use whatever you want for melee, I like the dueling sword for mobility but anything that can do single target kills quickly works well.

Terrifying Barrage on the staff helps a ton with controlling hordes coming at you from all directions, and when rager packs show up you can stagger lock them with M1. Learn to dodge-slide while blasting. With the right talents you can be blasting blue fire almost non-stop as long as you're killing things. Being able to solo hordes is a big deal, letting your teammates focus on other problems like monstrosities.

Brain Burst is slow but with all the changes to Psyker you should always be pre-charging it. Feels great when you turn around and instantly pop a dog or trapper coming around the corner. Learn to dodge-slide while charging. Assail is probably better at cleaning a room of shooters but I never got the hang of the rhythm with it and BB handles armored stuff like Crushers better. Swap to staff to quell while on the move.

Bubble does exactly what you'd expect, but keep in mind that its targeting is kinda like the Trauma staff so you can place it a little ways in front of you. If you ever stop moving to fight, just drop a bubble. If your team is having trouble moving into the next room because of shooters, put a forward bubble up. If your team has a shield Ogryn with the block taunt talent, put your bubbles a little further back so they can pull shooters from a better angle. When fighting a Beast of Nurgle put a bubble on it and enjoy ignoring its sludge bomber attacks entirely. Always be bubbling.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

One neat property of the bubble is that it’s more like a solid sphere; enemies inside it have their bullets blocked before they even leave the barrel. So you can lure shotgunners etc. in and then fight them with impunity.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

cerebral posted:

:cripes:

That explains a lot. If scattershot does pop up, what should I shoot for as far as perks?

if you want to oneshot poxwalkers you need to take +Infested. I think either Flak or Maniac are good second perks, but tbh I think even the +10% reload speed would help significantly for loading your special shell over the course of the mission.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Evil Kit posted:

if you want to oneshot poxwalkers you need to take +Infested. I think either Flak or Maniac are good second perks, but tbh I think even the +10% reload speed would help significantly for loading your special shell over the course of the mission.

My big question is that is there any weapon that is ever going to take the place of my revolver, or am I just throwing plasteel away searching for something equivalent/better? I have a really hard time giving up the ability to reach out and murder a sniper through a horde or across the map (or both).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

cerebral posted:

My big question is that is there any weapon that is ever going to take the place of my revolver, or am I just throwing plasteel away searching for something equivalent/better? I have a really hard time giving up the ability to reach out and murder a sniper through a horde or across the map (or both).

the blurn build does that just fine, as does any infantry autogun or even a braced autogun. If you're really thirsting for variety get used to throwing knives, they cover a lot of what the revolver does minus dealing with crushers and maulers.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seconding braced autogun. It sucks losing the ability to kill snipers and such, but it rips up hordes and a lot of the dangerous pack elites like ragers and maulers. It’s a good pick if your melee weapon is bad against those - the knife, for example.

megane fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 10, 2023

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

cerebral posted:

Melee horde clear weapon + revolver is going to do something dramatically different from shotgun blazeed + single hard target deleter melee.

I think it's less effective. It's different at the very least - it might click for you though.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

cerebral posted:

Vraks Mk7 headhunter autogun and the slug shotgun are both contenders, as is the Bolter, though they all have much longer draw times

The new Kantrael Mk10 heavy laspistol is pretty solid too though it has way worse Flak and Carapace performance

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like the bolter for ragers and armoured up stuff. You just let it rip and they explode. I'm sure the plasma is more effective but it doesn't provide the levels of satisfaction that lifts my game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

cerebral posted:

There are many guns which can take the place of the revolver, you just need to be brave enough to put it down.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dr Rockso calling shriek a panic button is so right on. So many times I have a crowd of Maulers, Ragers and Crushers among a crowd I hit Shriek and now everyone staggers and gets a soulblaze dot. Hack with that sword and it just keeps spreading. Soulblaze is life! For me at least. Death for heretics tho
Twitch Streamer Mokonoise, who plays psyker a lot, also mentioned that a Illsi with Unstable Power (+damage for peril) is an excellent pairing with the shriek. Specifically because you can empty charge the sword several times after max peril shrieking, and the Soulblaze DoT amps up with Unstable Power to kill off thicker targets like ragers/maulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cerebral posted:

Little friend hold second revolver yes?