Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why yes, this ape took a half million loss just on AMC alone.

Is the header display on that screenshot completely hosed or is that just how a pixel looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Is the header display on that screenshot completely hosed or is that just how a pixel looks?

Looks like a screenshot of a screenshot

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://archive.ph/pGBp4

the board allowing Ryan Cohen to use GME's $1B cash reserves like a hedge fund was not on my meme stock bingo card.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
This is a classic Buffet play. Getting some GME.A before it starts buying insurance companies and hits $500,000.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

1 billion dollars of BBBYQ you say?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Fate Accomplice posted:

the board allowing Ryan Cohen to use GME's $1B cash reserves like a hedge fund was not on my meme stock bingo card.

hedgies r fuked!

wait, doesn't this make GME a hedgie?

*BRAIN EXPLODES*

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fate Accomplice posted:

At least it’s kind of honest, like they know their company is doomed to a slow decline so stop CAPEX and just become a hedge fund.

Also there’s definitely no conflict of interest here.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Big news ya'll

Oh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
:(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Big news ya'll

Oh

Goddamn, that's grim. I've posted a lot in the Bitcoin thread that crypto is a cult, but holy hell, the meme stonk poo poo is way worse.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Re: Meme Stock Madness: why do I think this? Well I could point to the fact that it’s international monkey day

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Re: Meme Stock Madness: why do I think this? Well I could point to the fact that it’s international monkey day

Too long, unfortunately.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

anecdotally sometime in the last 12-18 months the GameStop nearest me closed.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Too long, unfortunately.

What are you, a short????!!?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

What are you, a short????!!?

Shorting the thread titles, like the shill I am, I guess. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Big news ya'll

Oh

I truly don't understand the cult mindset. Going all in and losing everything you have and everyone you love for a belief that is visibly not true. I just don't get it. My brain will not allow me to me to blindly accept and not question things. I wish I believed in anything that much.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it reminds me of flat earth denial in that not only is it a belief in something that's obviously untrue, but said belief can be easily disproved a million different ways. they're deciphering children's books and reconstructing tweets from a guy who knew a guy who met ryan cohen once to reaffirm their faith when the counter point is "read the legal documents that explain what's happening in plain english" or even "does what you're proposing make any sense at all?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As I've said, it all makes sense when you realise the mythmaking is literally the primary activity they engage in, of course they come up with new excuses and new stories at every material setback.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Since 2008 the liberal dream has been dead. People have been searching for a new dream, be it leftism, facism or something else.

Meme stocks, and crypto, are one of those alternatives and it needs to work or else the world isn't fair.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I truly don't understand the cult mindset. Going all in and losing everything you have and everyone you love for a belief that is visibly not true. I just don't get it. My brain will not allow me to me to blindly accept and not question things. I wish I believed in anything that much.

Be thankful you do not. See what this belief can lead to. Take solace in your scepticism.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

exmachina posted:

Since 2008 the liberal dream has been dead. People have been searching for a new dream, be it leftism, facism or something else.

Meme stocks, and crypto, are one of those alternatives and it needs to work or else the world isn't fair.

It's not about being fair, it's about being on the winning end of the scam.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, they recognize the system is broken and unfair, but they don’t want change it, they want to take advantage of it.

Or better: the only change they want is they on the winning side

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being on the winning end of the scam is, it has to be said, by far a more realistic and likely goal than changing society for the better overall.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Being on the winning end of the scam is, it has to be said, by far a more realistic and likely goal than changing society for the better overall.

Yeah, but when you’re so loving stupid as to fall for this poo poo, a total revamp of society where “takesee backsees I was just kidding about spending real money on dead stocks” is allowed is probably your best bet of getting some money back from a stonk scam.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why yes, this ape took a half million loss just on AMC alone.

if your this bad at picking stocks you need to be studied

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

You're seeing, to steal a phrase from Prester Jane, the endgame of multiple Compaction Cycles. This is a self-organizing high-control group that has had several iterations of the same choice: back out and admit you're wrong, or double down; go just a bit further down the rabbit hole, and maybe this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time, this time I'll be right. At a certain point you're so far down the radicalization pipeline, either a) you're so far down that any points of reference to reality are over the horizon, lost to you because you've replaced them all with true believers or b) that admitting you were wrong and backing out has become functionally impossible. This is actually a phenomenon you see in a lot of scams: if this was a scam, I was an idiot who fell for a scam, so I don't want it to be a scam, it shouldn't be a scam, it can't be a scam, and obviously I'm on to something that they don't want me to know, and the riches are always just one step away, just one step away, just one step away.

Or, to put it briefly, this isn't one step from reality, but a series of actions where further radicalizing was free, but backing out had a cost.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Meme Stock Madness: How are you celebr-ape-ing International Monkey Day?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Neito posted:

Or, to put it briefly, this isn't one step from reality, but a series of actions where further radicalizing was free, but backing out had a cost.
It's the same mechanism as for any other cult. Religious, political, MLM, doomsday, you name it. The conviction that money/salvation/power/etc is just around the corner so just take one more step. The cult community is here for you.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
are full of passionate intensity."

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What gets me about a bunch of these GME/AMC folks saying they have no money left is.. just sell your stock? Sure it's not worth as much as when you bought it but....???
And if you sell it to make ends meet and it MOONS, cry wolf at whomever forced you to sell by making you choose between dying homeless in a ditch or stonks rigged system conspiracy rah rah rah whatever.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
just bragging on reddit that i set fire to $600 million dollars, nbd

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

snergle posted:

if your this bad at picking stocks you need to be studied

He should just sell his stock pick advice. Then you simply inverse everything he's doing and you're rich.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rad Russian posted:

He should just sell his stock pick advice. Then you simply inverse everything he's doing and you're rich.

https://www.crameretfs.com/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

That’s going to the moon

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like there was a hype-date for this week (Dec 14th maybe? it was based on the International Monkey Day calendar) that Pulte was pumping - he deleted his little Qanon hint-tweets about it and now it has the apes nervous.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Seems like there was a hype-date for this week (Dec 14th maybe? it was based on the International Monkey Day calendar) that Pulte was pumping - he deleted his little Qanon hint-tweets about it and now it has the apes nervous.

Also December 14th is his airplane hangar event. $500/ticket

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
meme stocks/crypto are a lottery ticket that never expires, and the people selling the ticket have a vested interest in making it appear someone wins all the time

some people have bad math in their head, and this sort of thing makes their brain divide by zero

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

The unwavering belief on this stuff is kind of like an intentional Schrödinger's cat thing.

If they never sell and keep believing then hey, anything could happen, maybe they're actually really smart and they're seeing this thing that no one else sees (they are not). In their own minds they get to be in a superposition of galaxy-brain genius and enormous doofus.

If they admit their mistake, sell, and move on, they have to confront the fact that they are a huge loving idiot who bankrupted themselves and ruined their own lives and potentially the lives of those close to them because of some obviously insane bullshit they read on reddit. That's a tough pill to swallow. Continuing to live in a fantasy land is a much easier thing to do.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Big day in BBBY land. It's the day of the Pulte/PP/BBBY $500 ticket meetup.

Pulte is organizing a very high class event:

Did I mention it's at an airplane hanger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Why...
Why are tickets being distributed 2 miles from the event?
Why does he have so much water?
Why do I have a feeling there are Flavor-aid packets he's not showing us?