Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Lol what's next grampy, you gonna tell me you talk to your friends and family on the telephone, with your voice, like a literal caveman

The screenshot of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer talking on his chunky cellphone has exactly the opposite meaning that it had when the skit aired on SNL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

JediTalentAgent posted:

Navigating college websites feels like it's gotten shittier in the last decade or two. My guess is that they hiding a lot of once-open content behind university portals that require a login to access.

Oh, don't worry. It's lovely behind there too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

JediTalentAgent posted:

Navigating college websites feels like it's gotten shittier in the last decade or two. My guess is that they hiding a lot of once-open content behind university portals that require a login to access.

professors used to write their own homepages in html (by hand or with frontpage) and put course information there. I think they have to put all that stuff on a CMS now. there probably isn't even infra anymore for a professor to host their own page without jumping through hoops.

it sucks how back in the day there were things like frontpage and flash that people could use to make stuff without coding very much. now you gotta write markdown or learn react or hand-code animations using css and js.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Oh, don't worry. It's lovely behind there too.

The dickholes at Northwestern revoked my digital library access less than a month after I finished grad school. For the obscene amount of money I spent I should at least have extended access to your pitifully curated poo poo heap of a database, gently caress you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The bloated college admin's unofficial policy is "Don't complain, don't explain."

Why did things get shittier for no good reason? Why, they didn't. It's fine. Your two lying eyes are telling you it's lovely? Well, we want you to feel your perspective is valid.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Animal-Mother posted:

The bloated college admin's unofficial policy is "Don't complain, don't explain."

Why did things get shittier for no good reason? Why, they didn't. It's fine. Your two lying eyes are telling you it's lovely? Well, we want you to feel your perspective is valid.

Ah, every time UNM fired a football coach for not immediately turning the program around into Alabama or Ohio State or a basketball coach for not recapturing our early 90's playoff glory, then insisting paying the next dipshit double will have no effect on tuition because it's all funded by alumni and donors.

Then 2 months after the hiring getting the notice tuition went up $700/semester, with the insistence from the admin that it has nothing to do with paying out a 5 year, $500k/year contract and hiring a 5 year, $1m/year contract.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was at the store today and there was a very long line. An employee told the person in the front of the line that there was an open self-checkout counter and the person said "gently caress you, I don't work here" and it immediately made me think of this thread. They chose to stand there for a several minutes waiting for a cashier to open up and literally 3 entire people used self-checkout and got out of there before that person lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 9, 2023

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
And that man was me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was at the store today and there was a very long line. An employee told the person in the front of the line that there was an open self-checkout counter and the person said "gently caress you, I don't work here" and it immediately made me think of this thread. They chose to stand there for a several minutes waiting for a cashier to open up and literally 3 entire people used self-checkout and got out of there before that person lmao

Heroes don't get recognized in their own time

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Self-checkouts take less effort and way less time than loading things onto the cashier's counter does so I always get a chuckle out of boomers who are mad about it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hell, same.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I once worked with a boomer who had the same attitude about bussing your own tables at fast food restaurants. "They don't pay me to throw away my trash", he'd say as he left his little raccoon pile of hamburger wrappings and ketchup on the table.

He also didn't recycle because he thought the recycling company should be paying him for his trash. Somewhere out there ol Bruce is smiling in solidarity.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Grocery store refuses to open lanes while line up builds. One goon has an eye opening perspective on a solution- be the employee, minus the pay!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The kind of people I've met who refuse to use self checkout are the kind of people who love chit-chatting with cashiers and lack the self awareness to realize that the cashiers loving hate them for it. It's lonely old people who drove away everyone in their life and view any opportunity to talk at a captive audience as a positive social experience.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The kind of people I've met who refuse to use self checkout are the kind of people who love chit-chatting with cashiers and lack the self awareness to realize that the cashiers loving hate them for it
there are stores where the self-checkout overseers will come chit chat with you. i saw one start unloading about his personal life and politics to a customer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The kind of people I've met who refuse to use self checkout are the kind of people who love chit-chatting with cashiers and lack the self awareness to realize that the cashiers loving hate them for it. It's lonely old people who drove away everyone in their life and view any opportunity to talk at a captive audience as a positive social experience.

Haha yeah totally

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You ever notice that people that use the self-checkout checkout like this: "bluh bluh bluh bluh" but people who use the normal checkout checkout like this: "duuuh uhhh duuuuh uh? Uh?

Hahaha

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Y'all are checking out at the store?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The problem with self checkout is there's no one to say "I guess it must be free huh????" to when an item doesn't scan

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The problem with self checkout is there's no one to say "I guess it must be free huh????" to when an item doesn't scan

the self checkout clerk at the smiths i go to (the only clerk after 4PM) is more than happy to hold up the line if you want to talk about anime or PS3 anime games

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

As someone who works at a self checkout, that extremely still happens when something scans improperly because someone decided a QR code is the thing you scan instead of a UPC.

Also the people who will wait in line rather than let me pull them into a self checkout where I make explicitly clear I will do the entire transaction (our SCOs are more like assisted checkout due to our products) infuriate me. I get it, self checkout is annoying. But the last thing I need is a manager walking by, seeing a line in the regular checkout and my empty ones and all I can do is go 🤷‍♀️ because their dumbass wants to feel like they’re on a moral high ground

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The worst part about waiting in line at checkout is another cashier opening a new register and saying, “I can help the next person in line,” and there’s always one or two fuckers (usually impatient Boomers) behind you that scurry over to said open register.

The best part about waiting in line is the cashier telling them, “I said the next person in line. He was the next person in line *points to me*” and gestures for me to come over.

Those cashiers rule and own.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
MFW running the gauntlet of conversation and banter with the cashier at Trader Joe's.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The worst part about waiting in line at checkout is another cashier opening a new register and saying, “I can help the next person in line,” and there’s always one or two fuckers (usually impatient Boomers) behind you that scurry over to said open register.

The best part about waiting in line is the cashier telling them, “I said the next person in line. He was the next person in line *points to me*” and gestures for me to come over.

Those cashiers rule and own.

This is a cut throat world you do not deserve to be next just because you were next. loving avocado toast eating entitled millenials!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I stand with the Anti Self Checkout Crew.

I'm not bagging my own groceries either.

I'm dropping 3 dimes here, dog, I ain't working.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I haven't seen a grocery store that bags for you in 20 years and it was considered outdated elderly people poo poo back then

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

I stand with the Anti Self Checkout Crew.

I'm not bagging my own groceries either.

I'm dropping 3 dimes here, dog, I ain't working.

I have to bag my own groceries when I go to the checkout lane at the Smith's in my neighborhood if I go there before all the checkout lanes are closed, lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Self checkout with any booze is a few layers deep in hell

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wegmans bags your stuff it’s great

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mawarannahr posted:

professors used to write their own homepages in html (by hand or with frontpage) and put course information there. I think they have to put all that stuff on a CMS now. there probably isn't even infra anymore for a professor to host their own page without jumping through hoops.

it sucks how back in the day there were things like frontpage and flash that people could use to make stuff without coding very much. now you gotta write markdown or learn react or hand-code animations using css and js.

I'm guessing a lot of teachers would probably also fall back on just having a link to a PDF or a .DOC, too. I think a few times the links to such things were literally just .TXT files.

Semi-related: Wasn't it far more common (not universal, just more common) for IPs to give users their own small space for setting up their own webpages? I'm sure that there's a number of alternatives in just about every way you can imagine, but i can't recall the last time that such a feature was listed or included.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yea that def was a thing in the 90s

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My first isp was some college guys behind the coffee house who I found in the yellow pages

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Every time you saw school.edu/~person/ that /~ was just an entire public shared directory given to them by the school, it was only a web site because they tossed an index.html in the root directory

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cerekk posted:

I haven't seen a grocery store that bags for you in 20 years and it was considered outdated elderly people poo poo back then

Here the stores have the open bags right next to the barcode scanners so it would take extra time for the cashier to NOT bag it. And it's all behind the counter so you can't bag things yourself even if you want to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember the first time I went to aldis and they just threw my poo poo back in the cart lol

I could not believe it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

get used to bagging your own loving groceries

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We have some grocery stores that are the blend of: Human cashier and another set of conveyor belts AFTER the cash register that everything gets set on and you have to walk to the end and start bagging yourself, and you'd better be done before the next person's stuff starts coming through.

Anyone else old enough to remember when stores had ANOTHER conveyor system going from the inside of the store to the outside, so you'd toss your stuff into a tote and drive up alongside the conveyor to pick it up?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

We have some grocery stores that are the blend of: Human cashier and another set of conveyor belts AFTER the cash register that everything gets set on and you have to walk to the end and start bagging yourself, and you'd better be done before the next person's stuff starts coming through.

Anyone else old enough to remember when stores had ANOTHER conveyor system going from the inside of the store to the outside, so you'd toss your stuff into a tote and drive up alongside the conveyor to pick it up?

No, but it sounds magical. I used to dream of pneumatic tubes like the drive thru bank. Everything just "Zwipping" through tubes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

No, but it sounds magical. I used to dream of pneumatic tubes like the drive thru bank. Everything just "Zwipping" through tubes.

They were something like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78111739@N00/1393240067

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been to a Canadian liquor store that had this.