Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BlindSite posted:

gently caress TJ Watt and team's will definitely skirt the rules when it suits them but iirc you can have concussion symptoms later on after an incident and not at the time of the incident but I would have thought you'd err on the side of caution for a knock like he copped.

Yeah after Tua got his brain scrambled multiple times they were supposedly going to keep an eye out for stuff like that but naturally they’ve just lol, lmao’d it instead.

Of course, this is at least in part because a huge segment of the fan base categorically does not care about the brain health of players on their team. Pittsburgh was making a comeback on the back of its defense; if the NFL takes their best player out of the game for an injury that they can’t see and they lose then the bitching and moaning doesn’t stop. Until fans start taking brain injuries seriously the NFL isn’t going to, they’ll just pay it lip service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There are reports that after the Tua situation players are starting to take things more seriously, especially with self reporting concussions symptoms the day after games

Should be noted that the NFLPA has been going on on player safety over a lot of salary stuff (which is one of the reasons stuff is so poo poo for low round rookies/UDFAs)

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

The fact that he asked to have a tinted visor put on his helmet should have been a huge red flag, the Steelers training staff should definitely be catching some poo poo for this.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nfl doing poo poo like this surely doesn't help

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/50-000-fine-imposed-on-player-for-faking-concussion-was-rescinded

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
TJ Watt is the best defensive player in football. Idc if he is stupid as well.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Meanwhile in Buffalo, McDermott is using "from the river to the sea" as a metaphor for sustaining long drives.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Nervous posted:

Monsoon games are awesome when appropriately viewed in person.
Fixed. Watching terrible weather games in person is the loving best.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

D-LINK posted:

TJ Watt is the best defensive player in football. Idc if he is stupid as well.

He's not even a top five DE.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MrLogan posted:

He's not even a top five DE.

I dont think anyone disputes that, not even the steelers depth chart disputes that

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

pmchem posted:

I dont think anyone disputes that, not even the steelers depth chart disputes that

Garrett, Crosby, the Bosas, and Hunter are all better. Allen is also have a fantastic year for the Jags and not getting any attention for it.

I'm not saying that Watt isn't good, but saying he's the best defensive player in the NFL when he's not even top 5 at his own position is hyperbole.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

MrLogan posted:

Garrett, Crosby, the Bosas, and Hunter are all better. Allen is also have a fantastic year for the Jags and not getting any attention for it.

I'm not saying that Watt isn't good, but saying he's the best defensive player in the NFL when he's not even top 5 at his own position is hyperbole.

Cool story bro

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

D-LINK posted:

Cool story bro

Sorry your team isn't very good, I guess?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Didn't watt win dpoy and then get hurt last year?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Let D-LINK have this.

Watt is the main highlight of the Steelers' season.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rashan Gary is gonna get like 3 sacks Monday night. Enjoy

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MrLogan posted:

i thought you were joking about watt actually being an OLB lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rashan Gary is gonna get like 3 sacks Monday night. Enjoy

Rashan Gary is gonna bury Tommy DeVito in the pine barrens

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Rashan Gary is gonna bury Tommy DeVito in the pine barrens

His mom’s house looked like poo poo

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Freaquency posted:

Yeah after Tua got his brain scrambled multiple times they were supposedly going to keep an eye out for stuff like that but naturally they’ve just lol, lmao’d it instead.

Of course, this is at least in part because a huge segment of the fan base categorically does not care about the brain health of players on their team. Pittsburgh was making a comeback on the back of its defense; if the NFL takes their best player out of the game for an injury that they can’t see and they lose then the bitching and moaning doesn’t stop. Until fans start taking brain injuries seriously the NFL isn’t going to, they’ll just pay it lip service.

ah yes, the league that's famously averse to doing things fans hate

if it was in their monetary interest to do it they wouldn't give a poo poo what fans think

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The337th posted:

if it was in their monetary interest to do it they wouldn't give a poo poo what fans think

Flexing MNF games is a good example of this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

wut da hail

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1733703311688085756

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Jags are desperate to make the playoffs and will sacrifice their franchise QB to do so.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Trevor gonna end his career early

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gonna be fun watching him play football pumped full of so many drugs he thinks he’s in a Battletoads level

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Jags are desperate to make the playoffs and will sacrifice their franchise QB to do so.

They have like a 90% chance to make the playoffs right now. They gain next to nothing by trotting out their franchise QB on a dead ankle that probably needs 3-4 weeks to heal.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The337th posted:

Taking a star player out of the game will make them more money?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Gonna be fun watching him play football pumped full of so many drugs he thinks he’s in a Battletoads level

Miles Garrett is going to punch him twice and on the third one his hand is transforming into a giant spiked ball

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

There may not be 7 actual playoff worthy teams in the AFC

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Freaquency posted:

Taking a star player out of the game will make them more money?

No, which is why it doesn't matter what fans think

But if it somehow did, they'd do it and not care at all about fan opinions, as always

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

BrownThunder posted:

There may not be 7 actual playoff worthy teams in the AFC

Is that better or worse than the NFC which will send only 6 worthy teams regardless

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

It doesn't matter anyways, the 7th seed has been ritually beheaded ever since they added them

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Parallax posted:

Is that better or worse than the NFC which will send only 6 worthy teams regardless

6? I think there are 2. Maybe 1.5.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Good AFC teams:
Dolphins
Ravens
Chiefs

Good NFC teams:
Eagles
Lions
Cowboys
Niners

This list has been fact checked and confirmed.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nine days ago i said one thing. i said there's 7 teams that can make the super bowl this year. and i said no one else can even though they can. that's all one thing. i didn't say who the teams were and that bastard No Butt Stuff said only two teams could make the super bowl, because that's true but different. but you listed them all. congratulations Zurreco. You have been entered into a raffle to win an Amazon gift card using my microsoft points. if i should win, the card will be yours.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

This has big shades of Baker in 2021 pushing through injury because he hasn't missed a game before. Someone needs to tell Trev that that streak doesn't loving matter.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zurreco posted:

Good AFC teams:
Dolphins
Ravens
Chiefs

Good NFC teams:
Eagles
Lions
Cowboys
Niners

This list has been fact checked and confirmed.

Are we 100% sure the Chiefs are good? It feels weird to say this but they have some very suspicious losses and a couple more tight wins vs poo poo teams

If someone else is gonna sneak through from the AFC this would be the opening. Problem being all the other AFC teams are even sketchier

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Zurreco posted:

Good AFC teams:

Good NFC teams:

good teams get a playoff bye OR win on wildcard weekend.

every other team is bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

Are we 100% sure the Chiefs are good? It feels weird to say this but they have some very suspicious losses and a couple more tight wins vs poo poo teams

They're good enough (?) to be called good this year. They're just not good in the way you'd think they'd be looking at the last few years.

Aside from last week that defense has mostly been unironically good. The offense is all sorts of a mess by Mahomes era standards. They might light you up, they might light themselves on fire. Just depends on the day or the drive. They're still top half of the league on O, but there are glaring issues going on there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 10, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I think the Chiefs are still fine. Its just jarring cause they aren't guaranteed to drop 35 points every time and you have to hope that you're able to end the game while holding onto the ball just to beat them. They're more balanced than in years prior, even if part of that is that the offense (WRs) regressed. They can definitely beat anyone else, and in a high enough confidence interval that puts them into the 'good' category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

you have to hope that you're able to end the game while holding onto the ball just to beat them.

I think this is where the noticeable regression lies and what's loving with everyone. If there's like 1:30 or whatever on the clock and one/two timeouts, the Chiefs are no longer guaranteed to score a game winning TD, or even a game tying FG. Which is not necessarily bad - it's normal - it just feels really loving weird when they don't do it.