Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
missile fight!

https://journal-neo.su/2023/12/02/us-missiles-made-for-aimed-at-china/

quote:

Among the capabilities the US is developing to counter Chinese defenses, enabling US military aggression against China in Asia-Pacific, the US is developing 3 new missile systems.

quote:

The first, the Precision Strike Missile, or PrSM, is meant as a replacement for the US’ aging Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS). With a range up to 500km (possibly more) versus the ATACMS’ 300km range, the missile is meant to provide greater range, more sophisticated targeting capabilities, and the ability to be upgraded well into the future. The PrSM would be launched from the M270 and HIMARS launcher vehicles.

The longer ranges of PrSM is made possible by Washington’s unilateral withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty signed by the US and the Soviet Union (and inherited by the Russian Federation). While the US cited unverified claims of Russian non-compliance, it was clear the US withdrew from the treaty to develop missiles it believed it needed to contain China militarily in the Asia-Pacific region.

Among the intended recipients of PrSMs is the US Marine Corps. The US Marines were entirely reconfigured in recent years solely to wage a future war against China in the Western Pacific under what is called “Force Design 2030.”

quote:

For mid-range capabilities, the US is developing the ground-based “Typhon” mid-range capability (MRC) missile launcher capable of firing SM-6 anti-aircraft missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles. The system consists of a vertical launcher mounted on a trailer holding up to 4 missiles pulled by an M983A4 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT).

Plans to deploy the Typhon to the Indo-Pacific region have already been announced, according to Breaking Defense in a November 2023 article titled, “Army’s new Typhon strike weapon headed to Indo-Pacific in 2024.”

quote:

The PrSM and Typhon, while being “fielded,” will only exist in relatively small numbers as development and improvements continue. The US Army, for example, will only be receiving 120 PrSMs in 2023. Between 2023-2027, according to Breaking Defense, the US Army will acquire up to 1,086 missiles with a maximum annual output of 266 missiles peaking in 2026. Considering the scale of fighting in Ukraine where Russia is firing hundreds of missiles a month, US production numbers are entirely insufficient should the US find itself in a direct conflict with either Russia or China.

quote:

The third missile system, the longer range “Dark Eagle” Long-Range Hypersonic Weapon, is also being rushed into the field, however, it has suffered many setbacks including during several test launches.

Defense News in a September article titled, “US Army’s Dark Eagle hypersonic weapon fielding delayed to year’s end,” would report:

The U.S. Army will miss its goal to field the Dark Eagle Long-Range Hypersonic Weapon during the government’s fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, but is still aiming to deliver the capability by the end of the calendar year, according to the service’s acquisition chief.

The delay is due to the cancellation of a critical test of the Common Hypersonic Glide Body, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology Doug Bush told Defense News in a Sept. 18 interview. The scrapped test planned for this month was going to be “pretty close to an operational test” rather than a developmental test, he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

don't underestimate the ideology of MBAs looking at the military and thinking "we just need better processes and tools here, the people aren't what matter" like they do with every other job

i don't know enough, though i'm sure some of you do, but i wonder if that's where the modern popular conception as soldiers being easily replaceable comes from? i've been thinking about FF's post about effective soldiering being about technique and mentality a lot lately

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Not only are some church bells and early mortars practically identical, you can see where the craftsmanship for gun carriages, and later particularly the timing for firearms locks came from. So, the labour and materials for guns and muskets was incredibly expensive, and even moreso for ships. Remember that a ship of the line had has many cannon as an army (up to 80 or more), and bigger ones too (4-6lb guns were the norm on land, ships had 12-16pdr guns). So the costs, I mean, you can see what they were paying for.

A single serious warfighting ship generally held significantly more guns than an entire field army until around the Napoleonic wars iirc.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

don't underestimate the ideology of MBAs looking at the military and thinking "we just need better processes and tools here, the people aren't what matter" like they do with every other job

i don't know enough, though i'm sure some of you do, but i wonder if that's where the modern popular conception as soldiers being easily replaceable comes from? i've been thinking about FF's post about effective soldiering being about technique and mentality a lot lately

That conception that US soldiers are easily replaceable developed before WWI through the creation and evolution of managerial techniques "Human engineering" and the low social status of the military that persists to this day.

To be considered a good leader, you not only had to have leadership but also intelligence to show you know the tips and tricks to be a "personnel technician."

One example was the AGCT or the Army General Classification Test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_General_Classification_Test

quote:

The AGCT was used in WWII in place of the Army Alpha and Army Beta Examinations. It was designed to better assess intelligence and learning ability in Army and Marine Corps recruits, as well as aid in their job assignment. Besides measuring intelligence, it was designed to measure specialized aptitude related to technical fields, clerical and administrative jobs, radio code operational tests, driver selection tests, and language tests.
The test was short lived, in 1950 the Armed Services switched to a single screening test, the Armed Forces Qualification Test. However, over the course of WWII over 12 million were screened by the AGCT.
The AGCT was similar to the Army Alpha and Beta in that it suffered from cultural bias.

I have some shiny charts for you FF

https://www.reddit.com/r/cognitiveTesting/comments/16gsdic/army_general_classification_test/
https://clearinghouse-umich-production.s3.amazonaws.com/media/doc/79410.pdf

and if anyone wants to take it, https://agctest.com/

AmyL has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Dec 10, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That was a fun little test, with some interesting vocabulary from the 1940s and a lot of "count the number of boxes" visual/spatial questions. The multiple choice A-D format means a lot of the fractions questions can be answered at a glance. Never really looked at ASVAB or any other standardized military tests, I wonder how they compare with difficulty and scoring now vs. then.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

lol jesus if i was a soldier and had to see another one of those loving boxes tests i would shoot up the base

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lol jesus if i was a soldier and had to see another one of those loving boxes tests i would shoot up the base
these kinds of psychological tests/questionnaires where you have to fill in boxes and answer questions were pretty much invented for the needs of the us military. supposedly they do have origins centuries ago in assessments for the Chinese bureaucrat class.

(yes, myers briggs is part of an op)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I find them relaxing, intake was always more comfortable to me than actually talking to someone in Mental Health, and on course it meant I could be done the exams in about as long as it took me to fill out the boxes because if you know the material you don't even need to think, it's all right there.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

In order to be an artillery officer, you need to ace the box questions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

In order to be an artillery officer, you need to ace the box questions.

You do need to score pretty high on the CFAT, yeah. I was in the 50-something percentile in math but got a waiver because I was 99+ in language.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
the language and maths questions are interesting at least, guess how many boxes in this picture 20x is just boring and pointless, not really sure how that assesses how good you are at army poo poo (other than... putting up with boring poo poo)

whats the myers briggs being an op story?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the language and maths questions are interesting at least, guess how many boxes in this picture 20x is just boring and pointless, not really sure how that assesses how good you are at army poo poo (other than... putting up with boring poo poo)

i'm really just kidding, but i mean in the sense that the use of these tests -- whose theory came a little earlier, developed by people like Francis Galton, who basically invented eugenics (and coined the word) -- were pioneered by the us military. see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworth_Personal_Data_Sheet

here are some questions. interactive version here
Woodworth Psychoneurotic Inventory

openpsychometrics.org posted:

• Do you usually feel well and strong?
  • Do you usually sleep well?
  • Are you often frightened in the middle of the night?
  • Are you troubled with dreams about your work?
  • Do you have nightmares?
  • Do you have too many sexual dreams?
  • Do you ever walk in your sleep?
  • Do you have the sensation of falling when going to sleep?
  • Does your heart ever thump in your ears so that you cannot sleep?
  • Do ideas run through your head so that you cannot sleep?
  • Do you feel well rested in the morning?
  • Do your eyes often pain you?
  • Do things ever seem to swim or get misty before your eyes?
  • Do you often have the feeling of suffocating?
  • Do you have continual itchings in the face?
  • Are you bothered much by blushing?
  • Are you bothered by fluttering of the heart?
  • Do you feel tired most of the time?
  • Have you ever had fits of dizziness?
  • Do you have queer, unpleasant feelings in any part of the body?
  • Do you ever feel an awful pressure in or about the head?
  • Do you often have bad pains in any part of the body?
  • Do you have a great many bad headaches?
  • Is your head apt to ache on one side?
  • Have you ever fainted away?
  • Have you often fainted away?
  • Have you ever been blind, half-blind, deaf or dumb for a time?
  • Have you ever had an arm or leg paralyzed?
  • Have you ever lost your memory for a time?
  • Did you have a happy childhood?
  • Were you happy when 14 to 18 years old?
  • Were you considered a bad boy [or girl]?
  • As a child did you like to play alone better than to play with other children?
  • Did the other children let you play with them?
  • Were you shy with other boys [or girls]?
  • Did you ever run away from home?
  • Did you ever have a strong desire to run away from home?
  • Has your family always treated you right?
  • Did the teachers in school generally treat you right?
  • Have your employers generally treated you right?
  • Do you know of anybody who is trying to do you harm?
  • Do people find fault with you more than you deserve?
  • Do you make friends easily?
  • Did you ever make love to a girl [or boy]?
  • Do you get used to new places quickly?
  • Do you find your way about easily?
  • Does liquor make you quarrelsome?
  • Do you think drinking has hurt you?
  • Do you think tobacco has hurt you?
  • Do you think you have hurt yourself by going too much with women [or men]?
  • Have you hurt yourself by masturbation (self-abuse)?
  • Did you ever think you had lost your manhood [or womanhood]?
  • Have you ever had any great mental shock?
  • Have you ever seen a vision?
  • Did you ever have the habit of taking any form of "dope"?
  • Do you have trouble in walking in the dark?
  • Have you ever felt as if someone was hypnotizing you and making you act against your will?
  • Are you ever bothered by the feeling that people are reading your thoughts?
  • Do you ever have a queer feeling as if you were not your old self?
  • Are you ever bothered by a feeling that things are not real?
  • Are you troubled with the idea that people are watching you on the street?
  • Are you troubled with the fear of being crushed in a crowd?
  • Does it make you uneasy to cross a bridge over a river?
  • Does it make you uneasy to go into a tunnel?
  • Does it make you uneasy to have to cross a wide street or open square?
  • Does it make you uneasy to sit in a small room with the door shut?
  • Do you usually know just what you want to do next?
  • Do you worry too much about little things?
  • Do you think you worry too much when you have an unfinished job on your hands?
  • Do you think you have too much trouble in making up your mind?
  • Can you do good work while people are looking on?
  • Do you get rattled easily?
  • Can you sit still without fidgeting?
  • Does your mind wander badly so that you lose track of what you are doing?
  • Does some particular useless thought keep coming into your mind to bother you?
  • Can you do the little chores of the day without worrying over them?
  • Do you feel you must do a thing over several times before you can drop it?
  • Are you afraid of responsibility?
  • Do you feel like jumping off when you are on a high place?
  • Are you troubled at night with the idea that somebody is following you?
  • Do you find it difficult to pass urine in the presence of others?
  • Do you have a great fear of fire?
  • Do you ever feel a strong desire to go and set fire to something?
  • Do you ever feel a strong desire to go steal things?
  • Did you ever have the habit of biting your finger nails?
  • Did you ever have the habit of stuttering?
  • Did you ever have the habit of twitching your face, neck or shoulders?
  • Did you ever have the habit of wetting the bed?
  • Have you ever been unfaithful to a girl [or boy]?
  • Are you troubled with shyness?
  • Have you a good appetite?
  • Is it easy to make you laugh?
  • Is it easy to get you angry?
  • Is it easy to get you cross or grouchy?
  • Do you get tired of people quickly?
  • Do you get tired of amusements quickly?
  • Do you get tired of work?
  • Do your interests change frequently?
  • Do your feelings keep changing from happy to sad and from sad to happy without any reason?
  • Do you feel sad or low-spirited most of the time?
  • Did you ever have a strong desire to commit suicide?
  • Did you ever have St Vitus's dance [Sydenham's chorea —you would know]?
  • Did you ever have convulsions?
  • Did you ever have heart disease?
  • Did you ever have anemia badly?
  • Did you ever have dyspepsia [indigestion]?
  • Did you ever have asthma or hay fever [allergies]?
  • Did you ever have a nervous breakdown?
  • Have you ever been afraid of going insane?
  • Has any of your family been insane, epileptic, or feebleminded?
  • Has any of your family committed suicide?
  • Has any of your family had a drug habit?
  • Has any of your family been a drunkard?
  • Can you stand the sight of blood?
  • Can you stand pain quietly?
  • Can you stand disgusting smells?
  • Do you like outdoor life?

much of psychology is an op...

e: i took the interactive version and it turns out I'm normal. but lol:

quote:

Just based on the graph, the normal range seems to be 20 to 55, with scores of 10 or less being very low and scores of 65 or more being very high. But this is very different from what the original interpretation guidelines say. Franz (1919) reported that the average White individual scored only 10 and recommended that people who scored higher than twenty should be suspected of instability. By this metric, 81.86% of our modern sample is psychologically unstable, which seems unlikely! Other sources from that era also report much lower scores, Papurt (1930) reports average scores by gender, here are his numbers compared to ours:

1930 Today
Males 19.34 (n=50) 32.8 (n=3116)
Females 19.92 (n=50) 39.2 (n=4753)

The great magnitude of the difference seems inexplicable. It is, of course, quite possible that average levels of mental instability have increased over time, and other datasets do show this trend. Twenge (2010) analyzed administrations of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory from 1938 to 2007 and found increases on all clinical scales, such that five times as many people now meet the original cutoffs for psychopathology. That change on the MMPI is not outside the realm of plausibility, but that magnitude of the change here is just too staggering to believe: it is hard to see how almost everyone today could have lower mental health than almost everyone a century ago.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Dec 9, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

It's because in the 40's or whatever, they thought spacial awareness was a requirement for operating complex machinery, and being a soldiering was, and still is I suppose though not as dramatically, very technical. In the IJA, for example, there were soldiers recruited from rural Japan who had no idea how internal combustion engines worked that had to serve as mechanics. So the idea is if someone naturally understands shapes and space, they'll intuitively understand how to operate x or take apart assembly y.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's because in the 40's or whatever, they thought spacial awareness was a requirement for operating complex machinery, and being a soldiering was, and still is I suppose though not as dramatically, very technical. In the IJA, for example, there were soldiers recruited from rural Japan who had no idea how internal combustion engines worked that had to serve as mechanics. So the idea is if someone naturally understands shapes and space, they'll intuitively understand how to operate x or take apart assembly y.

SYQ

I'll talk more about it next week.

FF, look up repple depple syndrome and stuff by Canadian Brigadier General B. Chisholm sometime. Fascinating stuff, fascinating.

AmyL has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Dec 10, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
those silly aptitude/psych tests are mostly there to cover corporate asses when poo poo inevitably happens

lol if anyone thinks otherwise

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I enjoyed listening to that book many years ago. Listening to that book's description of Midway made me consider how we frame costly victories. The early waves of American attacks were rough and inconclusive due to deficiencies of equipment and training (like those useless torpedoes), but the Americans just kept piling on and eventually wore down the Japanese so they started to make an impact and ended up sinking those ships that swung the K:D ratio way in favor of the US. For a Western military we'll call this something like bloody mindedness and grit. If it were a Soviet or Chinese military we'd say they were just communist bug people who don't recognize casualties and kept marching to their doom like ants unthinkingly following a scent trail.

For all their propagandist tone I've been happy to watch the Chinese Korean war movies because at least someone is making movies about the forgotten war and only the Chinese would admit they didn't just swarm over US positions and win by virtue of their endless Asiatic hordes. They had more forces (there is an advantage to a war fought on your border instead of the other side of the globe), but they won because they fought with skill learned over long years fighting the Japanese and the KMT.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

FuzzySlippers posted:

I enjoyed listening to that book many years ago. Listening to that book's description of Midway made me consider how we frame costly victories. The early waves of American attacks were rough and inconclusive due to deficiencies of equipment and training (like those useless torpedoes), but the Americans just kept piling on and eventually wore down the Japanese so they started to make an impact and ended up sinking those ships that swung the K:D ratio way in favor of the US. For a Western military we'll call this something like bloody mindedness and grit. If it were a Soviet or Chinese military we'd say they were just communist bug people who don't recognize casualties and kept marching to their doom like ants unthinkingly following a scent trail.

For all their propagandist tone I've been happy to watch the Chinese Korean war movies because at least someone is making movies about the forgotten war and only the Chinese would admit they didn't just swarm over US positions and win by virtue of their endless Asiatic hordes. They had more forces (there is an advantage to a war fought on your border instead of the other side of the globe), but they won because they fought with skill learned over long years fighting the Japanese and the KMT.

If you refer to the US tactics in the battle of Okinawa as "Human Wave Attacks" people get really really mad at you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

those silly aptitude/psych tests are mostly there to cover corporate asses when poo poo inevitably happens

I thought they were there to funnel money into 3rd party providers that themselves provide kickbacks for using their services.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

but i took one and it said i was a ravenclaw (venus rising)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

I enjoyed listening to that book many years ago. Listening to that book's description…

:eng99:

jk

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BearsBearsBears posted:

If you refer to the US tactics in the battle of Okinawa as "Human Wave Attacks" people get really really mad at you.

"perfidious chinese only won korea by human wave tactics"

"so did they really outnumber us in troops?"

"no, but nevertheless"

also america also really really wants to forget "macarthur's bizarre Philippines adventure"

Palladium has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Dec 10, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

"The Americans won Midway via airplane wave tactics" would be an incredible bit to troll with

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

No hating on audiobooks you definitely don’t absorb as much as reading but they are better than focusing your hate on other drivers or whatever. When I lived in Southern California the only affordable rent had hell commutes and I had to drive between LA and San Diego for meetings. This was before podcasts blew up so audiobooks kept me sane.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FuzzySlippers posted:

No hating on audiobooks you definitely don’t absorb as much as reading but they are better than focusing your hate on other drivers or whatever. When I lived in Southern California the only affordable rent had hell commutes and I had to drive between LA and San Diego for meetings. This was before podcasts blew up so audiobooks kept me sane.

For sure. I listen to audiobooks when I’m falling asleep, in the gym, on my bike. I’ve started making recordings of books I’m reading that aren’t available in audiobook form, for example

https://voca.ro/1meJp3YLiaYq

and

https://voca.ro/1fiMzI0cM4PR

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Dec 10, 2023

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

But without a labour theory of value, I don't know, do liberals just think spending more got you a better army? Without realizing that the costs represented the value of both the labourers and the soldiers labour? Because that's the only way I can see them believing that paying more for a military with far fewer people, that does not industrially produce logistics, is better.

Playing the greatest hits, "the dominant ideology is the ideology of the dominant class" from the The German Ideology.

As financial capitalism takes hold and becomes dominant in neoliberalism, it's the financier capitalist's worldview that becomes more imperative. As they have the greater means of capital and capital has more pull of power in those conditions, it is as if things are spontaneously rearranged in their favor.

Try to view such problems in their shoes. What background does the financier capitalist have? What education, what parents, what activities their families were involved? A CEO, a managerial financier, is someone who deals with the world in terms of finance, because that is their function, their social role. Individually, there are capitalists who of course have command of history, of sociology; there are the rare ones who do also have command of political economy.

However, even as powerful individuals, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are able to leverage that force in structural matters. For example: such an individual, seized by a bout of nationalist fervor and imperial sentiment, decides to mobilize capital to build a no-bullshit military factory. His potential investors, however, don't get swayed by the less-than-average predicted ROI and initial estimates of valuation. Raytheon, Lockheed et al don't like this unexpected surge of competition one bit and take to the government to judicially pile upon the company; consultant groups analyze if they would be committing unfair market practices by delivering prices below average rate while having lesser average profitability and so on and on

This individual wants to address a real material problem, but the others around him do not see how that can be interesting if there are no gains in profitability to be had, because that is the main ideological problem to be dealt with. "Do I receive a greater return than what I invested? Is that return better than other possible investments? How can I have more?"

This capitalist class takes things like redundancy or capacity as anathema. Efficiency, for them, is a purely financial angle: spend less as possible and get the most out of it for the sake of profit, not for the actual problem that they are engaging with.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
good post

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Playing the greatest hits, "the dominant ideology is the ideology of the dominant class" from the The German Ideology.

As financial capitalism takes hold and becomes dominant in neoliberalism, it's the financier capitalist's worldview that becomes more imperative. As they have the greater means of capital and capital has more pull of power in those conditions, it is as if things are spontaneously rearranged in their favor.

Try to view such problems in their shoes. What background does the financier capitalist have? What education, what parents, what activities their families were involved? A CEO, a managerial financier, is someone who deals with the world in terms of finance, because that is their function, their social role. Individually, there are capitalists who of course have command of history, of sociology; there are the rare ones who do also have command of political economy.

However, even as powerful individuals, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are able to leverage that force in structural matters. For example: such an individual, seized by a bout of nationalist fervor and imperial sentiment, decides to mobilize capital to build a no-bullshit military factory. His potential investors, however, don't get swayed by the less-than-average predicted ROI and initial estimates of valuation. Raytheon, Lockheed et al don't like this unexpected surge of competition one bit and take to the government to judicially pile upon the company; consultant groups analyze if they would be committing unfair market practices by delivering prices below average rate while having lesser average profitability and so on and on

This individual wants to address a real material problem, but the others around him do not see how that can be interesting if there are no gains in profitability to be had, because that is the main ideological problem to be dealt with. "Do I receive a greater return than what I invested? Is that return better than other possible investments? How can I have more?"

This capitalist class takes things like redundancy or capacity as anathema. Efficiency, for them, is a purely financial angle: spend less as possible and get the most out of it for the sake of profit, not for the actual problem that they are engaging with.

tremendous post.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is going in the posting hall of fame, well done.

https://voca.ro/1awLIp7LXbdu

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The ruling class (financier class) has to share the same interest of the nation state, otherwise the state will become more and more disfunctional and illogical things

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

The ruling class (financier class) has to share the same interest of the nation state, otherwise the state will become more and more disfunctional and illogical things

One of the funnier things about Italian Fascism and Naziism was that the grand project of the Black and Brown Shirts was hijacked the moment they made their deal with the financiers and industrialists, because while it put them in power, their projects of national reorganization, revitalization, and certainly military conquest were a dead letter.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

One of the funnier things about Italian Fascism and Naziism was that the grand project of the Black and Brown Shirts was hijacked the moment they made their deal with the financiers and industrialists, because while it put them in power, their projects of national reorganization, revitalization, and certainly military conquest were a dead letter.

Funniest Italian Fascist thing was Victor Emmanuel III causing his own downfall by stanning the Blackshirts (because he was a Fascist creep himself) and putting Mussolini into power during the March to Rome only to have Mussolini lose power and De Gasperi telling Victor to gently caress off when he tried pulling the same "I'll abdicate!!!11" bullshit he did with Luigi Facta in 1922 during the March to Rome.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Great post.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

this guy suddenly becomes italian half way through the script lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ohhh so that’s what’s happening!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Other way round, surely?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

this guy suddenly becomes italian half way through the script lol

Whenever you use foreign words it breaks the whole thing unfortunately

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, it feels like one of the defining elements of the contemporary financial class is that they don't understand their methods are a scam. They genuinely believe that this tail chasing financialization is just the best possible way to organize society. The significance is that since they are true believers, they aren't going to change course even if it is in their interest to do so. That's why I don't think overtly financialized neoliberal states are able to fight and win actual wars. They either have to become a different sort of society or find an acceptable defeat that is able to be reframed as victory. When you no longer consider material reality to be significant on its own then managing perception is the safer and more profitable course.

Frosted Flake posted:

This is some kind of AI reading? It's surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Lmao at the robot just starting on Christmas Caroll in the end.

Yup