Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

Time to dust off the ol Crimson :v:

Crimson and Lucky Pants are :discourse:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

long post ahead:

as a Jotunn main, I gravitate to the 6v6 pvp game modes and I feel they main issue with SBMM is not the “B” or “M” but the S.

Let me explain.

What is skill? How can we measure skill? for connection based match making we have an actual measurable value: Latency (disclaimer: I am a computer toucher who works for the largest ISP in the US).

Bungie has said that they can predict the outcome of the match fairly consistently when players are say 200+ points off each other.

But how do we know how these points are earned? they say “actions in the game” but how are they weighted, what contributes more to your skill number? KDA? zone captures? assists? the outcome of the match?

I find myself playing bad whenever I have teammates that do not follow the logical choice in a situation, example:

In IB control once you have all 3 zones it locks you out and the kills increase your score by a larger amount; so why would you push when the other team is in “the hunt”? you are supposed to hide and bundle with teammates to survive.

Then I overcompensate and try to either do it myself or get double teamed when expecting a teammate to read the radar and figure out is a 2v2 and if we stick together we have a chance to win the engagement.

I feel that Bungie should show us our MMR value in game, should document how your actions affect this value and show us at the end of the match the average value of the MMRs in both teams so we can understand better the outcome and give us sliders to control matchmaking: I would rather spend more time trying to find matches so there is a level playing field or I don’t care I just want to play casually and values in between.

Maybe have in game tutorials showing players basic crucible knowledge or map awareness with bots and Shaxx in your ear.

Anyways I have a lot more to say on this matter but thanks for coming to my TED talk

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

aledesma posted:

long post ahead:

as a Jotunn main...

:mods:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are dozens of us

e: Oh yeah about Warlord's Ruin, we did hit a huge bug at the ogre where he just never spawned the blizzard and after purifying the lanterns the solar orbs never spawned, but adds and eyes kept respawning, so that was weird. A wipe fixed it though

Also, the rocket sidearm is amazingly good

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 9, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's something weird where like... Exotic Primaries are supposed to drop extra Heavy Ammo, but specifically it's "Exotic Primary Kills increase the effectiveness of equipped Heavy Ammo Finder Mods"

So if you aren't running Heavy Ammo Finder, an exotic primary doesn't actually get you extra purple

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Generally game skill ratings (not just on control and not just in destiny) are based solely on match outcomes, KDA and specific in-match actions aren’t part of it. It tries to capture how effectively you execute the mode rules without focusing on any particular things that may or may not be part of your teams’ strategy

Like, if one guy spends the whole match camping a point without chasing anyone, his team has an advantage and will probably win but his personal stats will look boring. And in a mode like rift or relic you may have a guy in a key role who does little or no actual fighting

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sample_text posted:

EDIT: I'm also 99% sure those "increase chance for special/heavy ammo drop mods do nothing. And by nothing I mean literally nothing, they're bugged etc. I never bothered with them.
You can tell when they drop because they look slightly different, there's a little glowing tag coming off of it to indicate it's an extra one. Although you also get that tag if someone else's Scout produces it.

Also make sure you're using the correct one, there was about half a season where I was using the Scout without the Finder, which was absolutely pointless.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sample_text posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't know that . I thought this was some whole-season thing, or permanent.
drat, my bad then.

You are very stupid.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ammo works on a kill based timer. After x amount of kills a brick drops. Exotics lower this count greatly. Ammo finders are separate and give less ammo than regular drops.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Edit - Oops, accidentally engaged with an overtly racist idiot

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 9, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Edit - Oops, accidentally engaged with an overtly racist idiot
haven't we all been there at least once?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what is it about citadel that drives people absolutely batshit badonkers? i got called a slur for holding b. yes very ethnic of me for *checks notes* defending the point

e: perhaps it is my outfit?

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 10, 2023

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kith posted:

what is it about citadel that drives people absolutely batshit badonkers? i got called a slur for holding b. yes very ethnic of me for *checks notes* defending the point

look all i know is you're doing the appropriate amount of gaming with sb/actium in 6s.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’re just mad you’re not shooting bees at them

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i am more than happy to compensate for my lack of skill with a simple combination of effective tools and apparently this is not playing iron banner "for real"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Kith posted:

i am more than happy to compensate for my lack of skill with a simple combination of effective tools and apparently this is not playing iron banner "for real"

Iron banner? The dumb bullshit fun pvp mode for everyone? what the gently caress is wrong with people

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm 4 for 4 on decent/chill people from the beta fireteam finder for master nightfalls. Joined on 3, and did a search for a fourth. Some even stuck around for additional runs (one wanted to do a coil after and I joined him for that, too).

Really nice, I don't mind d2lfg, but the in-game finder is super convenient.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

life_source posted:

Iron banner? The dumb bullshit fun pvp mode for everyone? what the gently caress is wrong with people

pvp makes people insane, as this very thread has demonstrated quite recently

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with SBMM and CBMM is people feel very strongly about their opinion on either and like to think of themselves as being objective when it's all completely subjective preference.

Also Iron Banner is fun, I enjoy it. I also enjoy Eruption tho, and don't really care that it "punishes people for being good" because you should just git guder and then it won't be a problem imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kith posted:

They were called out in the ways of old and found wanting

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

New dungeon: good

People who can not melee the scorn to pass the debuff: bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aledesma posted:

New dungeon: good

People who can not melee the scorn to pass the debuff: bad

A friend was mad at me, a Titan main, for instantly figuring out the gimmick there

He took like four wipes first try blind

He's a warlock lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn’t it literally say “you must punch enemies” on the hud when that happens?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 10, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

OneMoreTime posted:

A bit late but the you are right, Speaker's deal is that he had no real deal at all. He was a holdover from the original Destiny plot that got scuttled at the last minute (roughly a yearish before launch) where he was eventually going to be the big bad you fought at the end of the game. He was instead repurposed as an NPC who gives you the basic worldbuilding details that they had figured out (there is a Traveler and a Darkness) and intrigue for the stuff they hadn't rewrote yet (everything else). After the first year of Destiny they pivoted towards the Vanguard trio being the ones to drive the plot which unsurprisingly made him pretty useless.

As for his actual *lore* reason for existing: He's an incredibly old man who comes from a long line of speakers who were tasked with communing with the Traveler, something that was(mostly) impossible given it was in a dormant state. He basically went around the Dark Age human settlements and acted as a religious leader who preached about the Traveler and, with the help of the Iron Lords, eventually migrated to the spot underneath the Traveler that would become the Last City. There is somehow became the leader of the Consensus, the civilian government of the Last City that might as well have not existed given how rarely it was mentioned in-game. Then he died unceremoniously and maybe lied about never hearing the Traveler although that's unclear.

TL:DR he's pointless and was written out.

Why do people keep believing (and spreading) this made up bullshit? A random Reddit hoax repeated as fact for nigh on a decade. Especially when you've got me around to debunk it like a page earlier by telling you about the actual dropped story :negative:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

General Battuta posted:

Why do people keep believing (and spreading) this made up bullshit? A random Reddit hoax repeated as fact for nigh on a decade. Especially when you've got me around to debunk it like a page earlier by telling you about the actual dropped story :negative:

thank you for confirming the existence of the cancelled subplot about seducing calus

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 10, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it is a joke about saying ridiculous and obviously wrong poo poo about what the story of destiny was

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Oh I thought you meant me, personally.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"Calus licked his lips at the sight of the-"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Doesn’t it literally say “you must punch enemies” on the hud when that happens?

They didn't think it was literal lmao

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

/raid secrets: some weird pet theory / misinterpretation that's been going round for the last 10 years and has calcified into nonsense.

Battuta: do not cite the deep lore to me witch, etc

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Fun story.
After getting my rear end handed to me in a rumble match, some guy went through the effort of adding me on steam to ask me.
"Why do you even bother?"

So I answer "I got a bounty making me play this".

So he answers "Just ignore it bro. Not worth it , stick to pve".

Basically the PVP rumble community .
YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE MOTHAFUCKA!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'll be honest if I got a DM like that from some person in a game that'd be the nicest thing lol

I got a few xbox messages from people amounting to "cheap" or "gimmick" after some Iron Banner matches. I used the OG Horror Story and maybe like some random sidearm I don't even know. I also got a message from someone telling me "pwned lmao" which would be whatever, except I was on their team and they didn't even do very well, so that was pretty funny.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

The problem with SBMM and CBMM is people feel very strongly about their opinion on either and like to think of themselves as being objective when it's all completely subjective preference.

Which one did games use when games were good I was 13? Because that was clearly the best one

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ohhyeah posted:

Which one did games use when games were good I was 13? Because that was clearly the best one

Dedicated Servers.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Remember LAN parties? :corsair:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Halo Multiplayer was infinitely better when we had multiple xboxes and TVs in the same room and played unbalanced gimmicky game modes with no stakes.

But honestly, most multiplayer is improved by playing with a group of friends rather then randos. Also progression mechanics have destroyed gaming, as much as I sort of like them.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
What this game really needs is a way for me to be back in college.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You and your friends dragging your computers and 17" CRT monitors over to one friend's place to play Quake Rocket Arena until 4am was the pinnacle of PvP in videogames and it's all been downhill since. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Server browsers are vastly superior to matchmaking. Especially now with how the lobbies reset after every match.