Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
God I hate the loving Dodgers lol. Though this will make it even funnier when they get bounced out the playoffs after a 130 win season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

the Dodgers outspent Cohen, this is funny

(and as a Mets fan, I'm also annoyed that we haven't signed anyone other than Severino yet, but some of the depth pitchers look intriguing if Hefner can fix them)

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The Giants once again missing out on another FA while having more money than everyone bidding is just too loving funny.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Enjoy this poo poo take from my co worker!!

“I guess. He's an extremely dull human who can hit a bit and used to be able to pitch a bit. Massive overpay for a 5 win player.”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

God I hate the loving Dodgers lol. Though this will make it even funnier when they get bounced out the playoffs after a 130 win season.
people have been joking about the death of the Tungsten Arm meme, but real heads know it will now reach new heights

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Tungsen Arm meme includes Trout's contribution so it's done :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

now it gets to include Mookie and Freeman

we're just turning everything up to 11

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Free Mike Trout

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bawfuls posted:

now it gets to include Mookie and Freeman

we're just turning everything up to 11

glad you're enthusiastic for tungsten arming to go next level and accepting that means your team will be losing. way to get ahead of it!

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I was under the impression that the league curbed deferring salaries after guys like Pujols got weird deals. Is that still not a thing or did the league have to permit the Dodgers to do so?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

glad you're enthusiastic for tungsten arming to go next level and accepting that means your team will be losing. way to get ahead of it!
buddy, we have such wonders to show you

https://twitter.com/RunThaBaII/status/1733626288454463661

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Enjoy this poo poo take from my co worker!!

“I guess. He's an extremely dull human who can hit a bit and used to be able to pitch a bit. Massive overpay for a 5 win player.”

lol, own'd

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This poo poo goes much harder when you're the underdog.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Shohei contract will easily pay for itself, but I think the Dodgers window is smaller than people think. Freddie is already gonna be 35 this season. Mookie is 31 and under contract until he's 40. Shohei is under contract until he's 40 and he's already had 2 major surgeries and is known to push himself way farther than he should.

One baseball player rarely moves the needle, so the most likely outcome is the Dodgers continue to be as good as they've been the past 8 years or so for a few more seasons, but I'd say there's a far better chance that the wheels fall of this thing Mets/Padres style than the Dodgers turning into the 1950s Yankees.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Shohei contract will easily pay for itself

Serious question, is there a good resource around how the economics of merchandise sales, international media rights etc work in the MLB?

For example, with merch my understanding was that the manufacturer gets the majority (they pay a licensing fee or whatever), with the remainder going to the league and then distributed.

Not saying that Ohtani won't make a shitload of cash for the Dodgers, but I feel like the statements like this might be overstating the realities.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

like I said, kudos on your enthusiasm for tungsten arm antics, wherein the team shohei is on loses, getting dialed up

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People can be mad all they want that Ohtani did the thing everyone expected and went to the Dodgers but pretending like this is actually a bad thing for them is just a form of denial.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

....Ewing theory on the angels, who says no

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I say no. The Angels are going to lose 110 games

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So now that they've acquired literally the best player in the world and slapped him into their already insane team, how many more times do the Dodgers get to curl up and die in October before Roberts gets fired into the sun?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dave will win many more games, a second ring eventually, and easily waltz into the Hall of Fame once he retires from managing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Shohei contract will easily pay for itself, but I think the Dodgers window is smaller than people think. Freddie is already gonna be 35 this season. Mookie is 31 and under contract until he's 40. Shohei is under contract until he's 40 and he's already had 2 major surgeries and is known to push himself way farther than he should.

One baseball player rarely moves the needle, so the most likely outcome is the Dodgers continue to be as good as they've been the past 8 years or so for a few more seasons, but I'd say there's a far better chance that the wheels fall of this thing Mets/Padres style than the Dodgers turning into the 1950s Yankees.

I mean, the Dodgers have an unlimited ability to spend money, so they'll just keep buying up superstars to supplement/replace the likes of Freddie, Mookie, etc., as they age-out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Dave will win many more games, a second ring eventually, and easily waltz into the Hall of Fame once he retires from managing.

I agree that Dave Roberts will win two rings in his lifetime :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MJeff posted:

So now that they've acquired literally the best player in the world and slapped him into their already insane team, how many more times do the Dodgers get to curl up and die in October before Roberts gets fired into the sun?

I dunno but it's gonna be fuckin hilarious

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

While no modern team can really dominate like the pre-draft Yankees of old, this is still an odd take to have on a franchise that consistently ranks among the best in player development and overall farm quality. The Mets and Padres are in trouble right now because they have farm systems that were hollowed out, either by previous owner neglect or recent trades.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bawfuls posted:

While no modern team can really dominate like the pre-draft Yankees of old, this is still an odd take to have on a franchise that consistently ranks among the best in player development and overall farm quality. The Mets and Padres are in trouble right now because they have farm systems that were hollowed out, either by previous owner neglect or recent trades.

The Padres have pretty much restocked their farm with good drafts and trades. Ethan Salas and Jackson Merrill are in MLB's Top 10, while and Robby Snelling and Dylan Lesko are further away from MLB than Thorpe is, but Jairo Iriarte and Adam Mazur are also in Double A. Losing Soto sucks, seeing the Dodgers add Ohtani hurts, but AJ Preller is a madman who manages to find interesting prospects. Whether he keeps them is another story, but it's not like we're stuck in the Kevin Towers/John Moores era again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

To be serious for a moment, trying to rain on bawfuls parade probably isn't going to work

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why bother? Just wait for the inevitable October schadenfreude. We’ve all seen a baseball game before right?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Intruder posted:

To be serious for a moment, trying to rain on bawfuls parade probably isn't going to work

It's the principle of the matter. Our farm system doesn't suck! I remember when it did and prospects like Sean Burroughs and Matt Bush were the best we had to hope for!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/t_hildy/status/1733590313359364561

lol

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Holy poo poo $700 million. Get you some, Shohei.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Popete posted:

People can be mad all they want that Ohtani did the thing everyone expected and went to the Dodgers but pretending like this is actually a bad thing for them is just a form of denial.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

General Bullshit posted:

Free Mike Trout

I’ll take it!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, the Dodgers have an unlimited ability to spend money, so they'll just keep buying up superstars to supplement/replace the likes of Freddie, Mookie, etc., as they age-out.

Yeah as long as 20+ teams in this league don't actually care about winning and the Dodgers do, they can just keep this dance going, there never has to be a moment of reckoning. Also, independent of that, their drafting, development and international talent acquisition also seems pretty good? I think they can just keep doing what they're doing indefinitely as long as they're okay with the price tag. Which, over the last 24 hours, I've seen some minor evidence that they're okay with the price tag.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bob keeps racking up W’s

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1733849659913928806

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol Bob spiking the football on that is like Trump writing an op ed column on personal integrity

"well well well not so easy to find scoops that don't suck poo poo is it"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

Bob keeps racking up W’s

lmao get their asses Bob

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the follow up is just as good

https://x.com/t_hildy/status/1733606950649405867?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hey heads up, i'm hearing ohtani is going to the dodgers and the contract is going to be pretty big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

hey heads up, i'm hearing ohtani is going to the dodgers and the contract is going to be pretty big

hosed up if true