Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

blue squares posted:

How the gently caress is there so much money in baseball

I'm not mad the players make that much money, I'm mad that it's such a bad and boring sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Excellent snipe

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Telluric Whistler posted:

Absolutely this. It would either require a major rule change or the absolute perfect storm multi OT game for this to happen, since the top rebounding teams are averaging less than 50 with slower pace.

Indiana is the running-est gunning-est team in awhile and still has a 30 point lower pace stat than some of the teams in Wilt's era

Another record I like is Bill Russell's 32 rebounds in one half back in 1957. Nobody has had that many in an entire game since Barkley in 1996. Another extremely safe record.

morestuff posted:

What’s going on with Zion this year anyway

Looks like a classic case of "one step forward two steps back."

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What is the warriors record since Kerr gave his “this is the standard” post game speech

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

feller posted:

What percentage do baseball players get and how does that work with no salary cap?

It's not set to any value but in practice they get low to mid 40s and NBA gets ~50%. NBA forces that number, the contracts don't change the final number, in baseball they do but that also incentivizes collusion which is pretty much an open secret in the majors. When a player good enough comes around to bust up the collusion that's even you see the eye popping contracts.

Despite playing 2x the games on gigantic stadiums MLB only makes about 10% more in revenue, but there's also way more players and an entire farm system. The NBA system does under value stars but to the benefit of the larger lower classes of player (more to the lowest than middle, imo). NFL is an even better system but those guys are literally destroying themselves so the league has to keep the money parked with the players. The NFL makes so much and grows so fast that (so far) everyone seems happy with their cuts.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

And baseball players get a smaller percent of the revenue than NBA players do. The money is concentrated and by the end of Ohtani's 10 year contract NBA players will probably be over 70m themselves.

Great point. Getting ~50% of all basketball related income is such a great deal for a union contract that no other union would even think of it being an option.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The nfl system is horrible cmon

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

W/r/t baseball owners colluding, MLB also probably rigs the equipment. I forgot who said it but a star player coming up for free agency a few years ago said the players think MLB fucks with the ball so it goes further during seasons when a bunch of pitchers are up for free agency and vice versa when a lot of hitters are up for new contracts

They also probably juiced the balls for aaron judge two seasons ago when he broke the home run record

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 9, 2023

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Metapod posted:

yeah wtf is that, the nfl is an absolute blood churn that abuses, underpays, then tosses aside its players constantly. like a few qbs are paid fairly the rest are wildly exploited. only the owners are happy

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The most abused position is the most disposable as well. The NFL is horrible. Go Ravens.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The NFL only looks good if you compare it to college football

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

W/r/t baseball owners colluding, MLB also probably rigs the equipment. I forgot who said it but a star player coming up for free agency a few years ago said the players think MLB fucks with the ball so it goes further during seasons when a bunch of pitchers are up for free agency and vice versa when a lot of hitters are up for new contracts

They also probably juiced the balls for aaron judge two seasons ago when he broke the home run record

THEY JUICED THE BALLS FOR ALBERT PUJOLS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shear Modulus posted:

Someone found absolute evidence of this and mlb made sure to bury it

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wasn't the judge record something that was yankees specific so it didn't matter to anyone that isn't a Yankees nerd?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ammanas posted:

yeah wtf is that, the nfl is an absolute blood churn that abuses, underpays, then tosses aside its players constantly. like a few qbs are paid fairly the rest are wildly exploited. only the owners are happy

The NFL doesn't look much worse than the NBA until you realize their contracts are not guaranteed so all those top line total numbers are meaningless. They'll gladly physically destroy a guy then cut him with half his contract left and that's just business.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Ammanas posted:

I had wrong info, I thought the players were still getting closer to 60% of the split. Does look like the NBA gets the best split of the major sports, along with the NHL but the NBA escrow system is a better system.

However, in the NFL guarantees or not the players do get a set amount of the revenue, so again you have to ignore the actual contract numbers. The money is set by revenue not by contracts.

This is purely from a business money standpoint, people shouldn't be playing football.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently Zions former trainer is throwing some shade on Instagram

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1733494701347705081

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
NFL player union is incredibly weak and constantly gave up medical insurance benefits post retirement, salary share, and an organized concussion lawsuit in the name of killing the rookie wage scale and making weed legal. They have the ultimate gently caress you got mine position in all of sports for well paid veteran QBs. They have no money to ever fight the NFL in a lawsuit.

MLB player union is also considerably gently caress you got mine due to arbitration screwing over the entire history of baseball since free agency started. Players and owners don't want revenue sharing because if you get through the minor leagues, arbitration years, and are finally due for a FA payday you don't want that going to rookies coming out of AAA ball. It was only last year that minor league players even had a union.

The answer is always players deserve more money. Every player deserves to be paid more than owners, except Jordan Poole.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

abolish owners.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The NBA did :v:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Video of all 28 Warrior turnovers last night

https://youtu.be/ItDYyDHvJxo?si=q36bOQMMRDoSdOmw

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The history of the nfl players' union really makes clear that the NFL players are as hosed as they are because the owners are hardline anti-union reactionaries, ideologically anti-worker even for people in their class. It's just the owners saying "gently caress you" over and over. In a way, it's amazing they were ever able to organize in the first place.

edit: as some cross-promo if people are interested in Union Chats please join us in the worker organizing/unions thread, don't be scared off by the cspam heading, we're cool people. It's one of the only places in the forum where genuine good news is posted on a regular basis.

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 10, 2023

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Doltos posted:

The answer is always players deserve more money. Every player deserves to be paid more than owners, except Jordan Poole.

If you get paid based on how much entertainment you provide, Jordan Poole objectively deserves even more money

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ammanas posted:

Yeah, after the strike in 87 the NFL created the qb club (also a bad game) and generally started treating qbs as management's representatives on the field, they'd be paid a premium, everyone else would be an afterthought

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
https://twitter.com/broad_stweet/status/1733209892490481943?s=46

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Pot calling the kettle black.

Also the L2M report for last night yet again pointed out Curry travelling.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

sounds like he channeled ON CRACK energy
https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1733643291038744915

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

oh my god

I saw a belly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

He didn't fall to the floor so I give him an 8/10 at best

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok but what if they actually did make the whole season out of in season tournaments

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

ok but what if they actually did make the whole season out of in season tournaments

I want this to happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

They need a better scheduling mechanism to cover for games but there's ways to do it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gently caress them kids

https://twitter.com/Dubs408/status/1733707325251432745

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I thought this was going to be corny but actually it's dope.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
They'll tweak the format every few years, but the in season tournament isn't going anywhere. In twenty years time, the Lakers winning this will seem a bigger deal than it does right now.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Shear Modulus posted:

I want one where Lebron gets to dunk on foreign teams with weird names like 1907 Fenerbahçe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

IcePhoenix posted:

He didn't fall to the floor so I give him an 8/10 at best

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The final should definitely be later in the year, I feel like mid January maybe? It feels like we now have two months of pointless regular games to wade through before it gets fun again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

The final should definitely be later in the year, I feel like mid January maybe? It feels like we now have two months of pointless regular games to wade through before it gets fun again

The regular season isn;t pointless. Its the whole point actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Lockback posted:

They need a better scheduling mechanism to cover for games but there's ways to do it.

Yeah I imagine trying to book all the venues in chunks every few months would be insane.