Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gerrund_ing posted:

Outside of a few weirdos on steam, I don't think so. The game had more than enough extra DLC and has more content than like any other Igavania as it is. I really hope that they've at least got people working on concept art and stuff...so that way once these MP modes that like only 10 people will play gets released, they'll at least have some of a start on the second game.

Honestly I wish they had a mode kind of like Harmony of Despair instead of MP...that game had such a cool idea. Like that game just needed a way more robust loot/farming/crafting system and more stages and I think it could have done well.

I have to assume it's at least slightly a legal issue. I know Kickstarter doesn't guarantee rewards but it does seem like there's some contract they have to meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Velius posted:

Which game is this? It sounds like my sort of thing!

Rabi-Ribi. I'd had it around and decided to dig in as the studio put out their next game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

bawk posted:

Yes, they are.

You get money for completing them, and I believe you can "complete" them with any time. You might have to get bronze. I'm not sure, I don't remember because after a certain point, like all metroidvanias, money stops mattering and you can just buy out every shop even without getting extra cash from the trials.

Just a note on the challenge: there's no real ending card or something for beating the game on Hard mode only. You can freely choose to, at any point, switch to Normal mode and clear a particularly bullshit boss fight or platforming room if you want to.

Oh I thought they meant the hall of doors where the old man tells you a story every time you show up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

those aren't time trials, but I am still pretty surprised/impressed by how much the devs seem influenced by the Path of Pain in hollow knight

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

So, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the metroidvania thread at first, but then I saw the map in the trailer. And with that, it probably counts:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280080/Faeland/

Really beautiful pixel art, it's been in development for years and just entered EA. I think I first heard about Faeland in 2018, so I am hopeful that there's going to be something substantial to engage with in the demo version

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Whelp, finally beat most of the endings of Afterimage and unlocked NG+, which is actually a different story entirely a la Nier.

... back in we go...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Martman posted:

those aren't time trials, but I am still pretty surprised/impressed by how much the devs seem influenced by the Path of Pain in hollow knight

The triple jump gem heavily helps out with this, thankfully. There's a few areas that I'd consider "hard as hell, but still very doable" (the Abyss and these platforming rooms hit the perfect balancing point between difficult and doable IMO) while a few other areas can go gently caress themselves (the Cosmos in particular has too much going on) and a couple individual rooms that hurt my soul (the fourth room in the memorial building between the tower of light and the cemetery, with the constantly-advancing spike wall and also the mine area with the minecart ride that goes over spikes and stuff + has tight timing with the arrows)

There was also a certain point where, when it comes to gems, I started thinking of the load out as "2 purple gems, 2 blue gems, 1 red gem" with triple jump as an ability, and you get the bonus of having a third blue gem during boss fights, rather than "I waste a blue gem slot to get triple jump"

There's a lot of points in the game where you'd normally have to use the arrow, but the platforms are spaced just-so that you can full-commit to a triple jump and perfectly make the distance. I think I mentioned going back to play the game and take notes, but I've been too busy to start a second playthrough of Aeterna Noctis lately

It's a shame that the prequel is a roguelite focused heavily on its story, I don't give a poo poo about the lore and I don't give a poo poo about the combat. I loved the creative environments and sense of exploration, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

claw game handjob posted:

When one of the most open-ended games in this genre tells me "dunno what you just did, YOLO" I immediately get worried.

Update: if you get this achievement, maybe reload. I'm at a point where what I presume is entering rooms with cutscenes (that it thinks I've seen?) now cuts off the scene and teleports me around the map and it's locked me in what I'm suspecting is a late-game area which I can't seem to find a way out of. The obvious way out is a big arena that, when entered, sends me back three rooms silently.

This does explain why Rabi-Ribi goes "keep a few save slots", I thought it was just in case you got stuck near a hard boss.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Goddamn Rusted Moss is so good. I love how the game teaches you to do stuff that you previously thought was completely impossible. Some of the later jump manoeuvres were completely unthinkable a few hours before.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm a few hours into Tevi, and I really enjoy it so far. The battle and exploring mechanics are fun and even though I don't understand the language, the Japanese voicecast is quite expressive.

If you are vaguely interested, they have a excessively long demo on their steam page. Like, I stopped partway, because it felt like it was spoiling to many locations by that point.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the night.

Overall easier than most of the metroidvanias I've played this year. Your moveset isn't all that good at dodging attacks, but you largely don't need to, between your ever-growing stats and the ability to carry loads of healing items.

First impression was "too much". Too many different weapons without meaningful differences, way too many shards that all just deal damage to things in front of you, and loads of crafting ingredients that you either get in excessive amounts without even trying, or have a 5% droprate from an enemy that appears twice in the entire game.

I settled on swords before the first boss, and basically never switched except for the part you need to use emo guy's katana. Used shards for hitting small enemies on the ground, since most weapons are incapable of doing that even when crouched (except the whip). Shard wise, I settled on the wind cast that travelled along the ground and the arrow shotgun, and used those for the majority of the game. I feel like I should have experimented more, but since you get a new cast every few minutes I ended up not bothering.

I had to check a guide for where to go after beating the blood boss, and in the process saw a recommendation for the chain lighting shard, as well as the hellhound summon, so those were my go-to loadout for the rest of the game.

Used the fairy familiar for most of the game. Briefly tried the knight, found it did neglible damage if it even managed to hit something, and didn't really bother with any of the others. As far as I could tell, only the fairy would point out breakable walls, which easily made it win out.

I'll probably check a guide and get 100% of the map (I'm already over 99%). I might also try to complete the bestiary, but I'm definetly not going to bother with all the items.

Overall, its solid, but I feel like nothing about it really stands out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it's worth mentioning that the 'too much' is intentional. One of the things SotN really got praised for was just having a ton of random little poo poo that wasn't actually important but added to the flavor of the game, like a pair of boots that made you one pixel taller or various capes of different colors or weapons you had no reason to use but for shits and giggles.

It means SotN is hilariously unbalanced but that was sort of the appeal of the game, you could just find weird poo poo and play around with it, rather than it being a tightly crafted adventure.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I find that I get tired of playing Metroidvania things where the random enemies are made difficult enough to not be mostly effortlessly destroyed while wandering around. I think it's supposed to keep me more engaged but it just feels tedious. If it's trying to compensate for the rooms being boring rectangles with just a few elevated chunks of floor it's not working. It also encourages using the "best" weapon rather than having fun with suboptimal stuff (when that's even a choice)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That was one of the things I disliked about Afterimage, because all the differing weapon movesets were interesting, but there's a certain point in the game where I realized that the burst damage I was getting out of the dual blades kicked everything else's rear end. Even when I would find a weapon that had better stats on-paper, the dual blades were out-DPSing everything else. I would wander around using different weapon types, I vaguely remember using an anchor for a good portion of the game because it was a whole goddamned anchor, but every boss fight I went back to dual blades eventually

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Afterimage had like 6 different damage types and I never found a reason to pay attention to any of them or noticed a status effect on an enemy once

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

GloomMouse posted:

I find that I get tired of playing Metroidvania things where the random enemies are made difficult enough to not be mostly effortlessly destroyed while wandering around. I think it's supposed to keep me more engaged but it just feels tedious. If it's trying to compensate for the rooms being boring rectangles with just a few elevated chunks of floor it's not working. It also encourages using the "best" weapon rather than having fun with suboptimal stuff (when that's even a choice)

I don't mind as long as the combat is interesting, but so many games it's just 'jump, attack'. Hollow Knight had a couple enemies that took a few hits, but at least you could like, airdash, pogo attack, etc - which also meant you could just zip by them if you wanted to.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Weapons in Bloodstained can hit small enemies on the ground. You have to press forward and down to do it, but the animations tend to look like your attacking forward.

The game can be beat with pretty much any set up, though there is a stupid op magic build that uses the best +INT gear, the +INT Shard maxed so it becomes a passive and applies twice, Gebel's Glasses, Skull Necklace, and Summon Hellhound. Everything just melts.

As for Familiars, Fairy is a direct import from SOTN, healing you with the Fairy Potions and pointing out secret walls. Silver Knight will block projectiles. Dantalion will cast a spell that boosts STR for a minute. Bloodbringer, like Fairy, is a direct import from SOTN, where it's a Familiar and a weapon. Leveling up the Familiar increases the strength of the weapon.

For me, I tend to heal myself before Fairy can, and Detective's Eye not only shows breakable walls, but when maxed, also picks up drops. If I go for a Magic Build, Dantalion doesn't do me any good, since I need INT, not STR.

I used to use Silver Knight all the time, but now I prefer Dullahammer Head. You get 5 with 9 copies of the Shard, and they just fly all over, doing damage.

Oh, also, Buer is a familiar that exists.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Weapons in Bloodstained can hit small enemies on the ground. You have to press forward and down to do it, but the animations tend to look like your attacking forward.

The game can be beat with pretty much any set up, though there is a stupid op magic build that uses the best +INT gear, the +INT Shard maxed so it becomes a passive and applies twice, Gebel's Glasses, Skull Necklace, and Summon Hellhound. Everything just melts.

As for Familiars, Fairy is a direct import from SOTN, healing you with the Fairy Potions and pointing out secret walls. Silver Knight will block projectiles. Dantalion will cast a spell that boosts STR for a minute. Bloodbringer, like Fairy, is a direct import from SOTN, where it's a Familiar and a weapon. Leveling up the Familiar increases the strength of the weapon.

For me, I tend to heal myself before Fairy can, and Detective's Eye not only shows breakable walls, but when maxed, also picks up drops. If I go for a Magic Build, Dantalion doesn't do me any good, since I need INT, not STR.

I used to use Silver Knight all the time, but now I prefer Dullahammer Head. You get 5 with 9 copies of the Shard, and they just fly all over, doing damage.

Oh, also, Buer is a familiar that exists.

You can dive kick off of Buer to sequence break. I'm pretty sure it gets used in speedruns, and outside of that getting equipment and stuff before you're supposed to is always fun.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 10, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Buer is trying it's best

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wanted the kicking boots to be good in sotn but don't think I ever really worked my way into a busted combo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

coming up to the end of Aeterna Noctis and despite getting insanely frustrated at times I'm mostly ending up loving it. I get the impression the Cosmos area (with all the little planets that change your gravity and make aiming feel insane at first) was the part that made a lot of people go from "this is getting a little too crazy" to "gently caress this" and give up on the game, but honestly I found it super impressive.

but then those assholes had to include a time trial using part of that mechanic and god drat some of this platforming is wild.

My main problem is that the combat is just not interesting enough for how much of it there is. Some of the hardest bosses, the ones where they generally expect you to use arrow builds instead of melee, are the most fun because they actually get to emphasize the platforming. but as long as you can melee enemies I haven't encountered a fight yet that I can't just spam attacks and heal through. they took the healing mechanic from Hollow Knight but then gave you more juice for it, longer immunity, 2 HP heals with no downside, and also afaik there are no enemies that do more than 1 damage per hit, and it all adds up to melee combat being just kinda braindead button mashing. And I think it almost has to be, because the visuals just would not work for really precise dodging when doin melee combat imo. I'm sure some nerds have done hitless melee only runs and stuff but it's just, there is often waaay too much going on on the screen.

but seriously the platforming has really blown my mind several times, and the game is doing a good job of making 100% completion feel like a natural part of progression rather than an insane grind or truly obnoxious combing over every pixel. The cutscenes all go on too long even though they look cool, and the map is pretty lame... but idk it's a solid 8/10 for me

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone know if the Bloodstained Switch port is good? Or at least good enough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

It's the worst version of the game. It's better than it was at launch and is more playable but if you can get it on anything else it's going to be better.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Get it on PS4 if you're going to get it on anything, or else PC and play it on a Steam Deck if you really need it to be portable. Switch version isn't worth it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gully Foyle posted:

It's playable, but it feels like molasses. I basically stopped my playthrough once the Steam Deck was announced--it's so much better on that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking as someone who beat it on Switch, if you really need portable Bloodstained and the Switch is your only option it's playable. If you can play the game any other way, though, I'd recommend that. It's got basically every performance issue under the sun; framerate problems, input lag, long load times, freezing, graphical glitches, crashing, etc.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I finished Tevi last night. Here are my thoughts.

Tevi is the successor to the 2016 Metroidvania Rabi-Ribi. Like Rabi-Ribi before it, it combines relatively complex player movement abilities with a small hitbox to create mechanically intricate boss fights. The game isn't totally boss-focused, but they're still a big part of the experience, and there are lots of cool and interesting patterns to get through. Once I got used to the game's physics, I really enjoyed the basic game feel of moving Tevi around and attacking effectively; it's fun to chain together combos and mix pressing my luck and backing off when I need to.

The game is pretty linear; there's basically always a clear place to go next, though exploring in other directions is still rewarding. It's not nearly as open as Hollow Knight, for example. Most of the unique loot consists of "sigils", which are basically badges from Paper Mario or charms in Hollow Knight. There are over two hundred sigils and they have all sorts of effects; you'll have dozens equipped at once by the end of the game. They can be fiddly, but the sheer number of options is neat, and it means there are unique rewards for exploration in all sorts of places. The environments and normal enemies are a big improvement over Rabi-Ribi, and I generally had fun exploring new areas.

I played on Hard and found the game a bit easier than I would have liked, but there are a variety of easier difficulties as well as a harder one unlocked for finishing the game. I tend to like really difficult games so Normal or Hard will probably suit most people's needs.

A lot of attention is paid to the main story of the game. There are high-profile Japanese voice actors involved, and the voice performances are largely quite good, but the story itself is overwrought and melodramatic; some moments landed for me but I was rolling my eyes a lot too. The character designs are fun, and the art is expressive. (They're a bit indulgent but there's nothing shocking to good taste in the way Rabi-Ribi could be.)

Anyway, I definitely recommend the game if a linear, combat-centric action game is up your alley and you can appreciate (or at least tolerate) the aesthetic. I enjoyed it a lot.

The soundtrack is great too. Standout tracks include Morose, Heaven's Valley, Snowveil and Blushwood, but it's consistently good throughout, though the mixing feels a bit off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVd1kpJMCmQ

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The sigil system might be Tevi's strongest selling point. It has a huge variety with some that fundamentally alter or empower the experience and actually gives you the ability to equip a meaningful amount of them to effect change. You can customize your character quite heavily for melee or ranged, defense or offense, tank or dodge, buffs or debuffs, ground or air combat, and anywhere in between. It's honestly kind of silly and also very refreshing. Every other game apes the system from Hollow Knight where you can only use 2 or 3 at a time because notches are scarce and they're afraid to give you too much power. In Tevi I'm running around with like 70 of the things active and have experimented with all sorts of builds to mix up the gameplay. Please, developers, make more games that take inspiration from this instead.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
This basically sounds like exactly what I wanted after RR, which is just "fixing up the poo poo that was busted and leaning in harder on the game's strengths". After having to restart because I broke the game, I finally wrapped Rabi-Ribi the other night and while I loved the gameplay and freedom of the main campaign, it became incredibly repetitive in the post-game since I had all of the cool toys and there were about three new bosses who weren't just a remix of the prior ones in a rush.

Are the perks or whatever just freely on-off toggles, or will I be hunting down max point-up items to mess with them again in TEVI, I know RR let you get up there with them after a certain point but it took some digging.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

claw game handjob posted:

This basically sounds like exactly what I wanted after RR, which is just "fixing up the poo poo that was busted and leaning in harder on the game's strengths". After having to restart because I broke the game, I finally wrapped Rabi-Ribi the other night and while I loved the gameplay and freedom of the main campaign, it became incredibly repetitive in the post-game since I had all of the cool toys and there were about three new bosses who weren't just a remix of the prior ones in a rush.

Are the perks or whatever just freely on-off toggles, or will I be hunting down max point-up items to mess with them again in TEVI, I know RR let you get up there with them after a certain point but it took some digging.

badge point up items are back, you just wind up with like 400 of them by the end. there are 249 badges in the game and I currently (at 100%) have 122 of them equipped at once.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

So I'm probably lost in Afterimage; right now the only two options I've found to go forward have a boss that feels way overleveled for me (First Knight?) and the Pyro Fields feels even more overleveled but at least I beat the Ram there no problem. Is there another place I'm missing?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nope, I think you're in the right places but you are slightly behind the level curve, which was a frustrating little part of the game. The rank-and-file enemies seem like they're hitting too hard, but you can still deal with them, you just gotta be cautious.

I'm not sure exactly when it comes up but you will also, at some point, get a key for a door in the Field of Geo? The one in the top left.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

So I'm probably lost in Afterimage; right now the only two options I've found to go forward have a boss that feels way overleveled for me (First Knight?) and the Pyro Fields feels even more overleveled but at least I beat the Ram there no problem. Is there another place I'm missing?

Did you already do the Sky Palace?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I did not! And I meant the Canyon, not the field of Pyro.

bawk posted:

I'm not sure exactly when it comes up but you will also, at some point, get a key for a door in the Field of Geo? The one in the top left.

I totally forgot about that key because I put the game down after getting it, thank you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I did not! And I meant the Canyon, not the field of Pyro.

I totally forgot about that key because I put the game down after getting it, thank you.

Yeah, definitely go up there, you'll get a major upgrade. There's actually two doors in Field of Geo you should be able to open now... both of them lead to places that are cool and good.

On my end I did like 6 of the endings and unlocked NG+, but haven't started it. Decided to change gears for a bit on my Deck and have been playing AC Revelations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, definitely go up there, you'll get a major upgrade. There's actually two doors in Field of Geo you should be able to open now... both of them lead to places that are cool and good.

Great to know; I don't know much I've got left to go in this playthrough but I really like this game so far. It's massive but I don't find it overwhelming and getting around feels great after the double jump.

So I assume you get put back into the main game after getting an ending and you can keep getting the others?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fuzz posted:

On my end I did like 6 of the endings and unlocked NG+, but haven't started it. Decided to change gears for a bit on my Deck and have been playing AC Revelations.

There's a common misconception with NG+ on Afterimage: It's not actually New Game+ in the traditional sense. It's a 10-chapter substory that takes very, very little time to complete, and then you'll unlock a True Final Boss type scenario. I think Afterimage took me 2 or 3 solid weekends to get the 6 endings, and then I knocked out New Game+ in an afternoon

FireWorksWell posted:

Great to know; I don't know much I've got left to go in this playthrough but I really like this game so far. It's massive but I don't find it overwhelming and getting around feels great after the double jump.

So I assume you get put back into the main game after getting an ending and you can keep getting the others?

Yep. Some spoilers related to how that works in reality: There's two areas where you can get endings. The first is where it all began, and the other is in your helper friend's home. When you get your first ending and see credits roll, then that means there are 2 more endings that you can get in that specific place. You can toy around with choices and conversations to see how you can effect which ending you get, and you should be able to unlock all 6. If you get stuck trying to figure out how to get them all, the endings can include "Bad" endings too

Then once you do all of that and unlock "New Game +" (this is actually an epilogue, not a replay of the game with all-new powers) you'll get access to some more cool stuff you can do.

bawk fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 14, 2023

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nrook posted:

The game is pretty linear; there's basically always a clear place to go next, though exploring in other directions is still rewarding.

The first playthrough is quite linear with only a few "do A, B and C, in any order"-forks, but after you beat it once, you unlock Free Roam mode which removes all "I should not got there yet"- story locks and enables the hidden techs from Rabi Ribi (like the reverse wall jump). That allows you to sequence break all you want.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
how do you get the meteor strike working in lone fungus? Iive got the spin jump, but when i start a spin and hold rt nothing happens

oh, apparently i had to go into the abilities menu and actually equip it? weird because i don't think i had to do that with any other abilities

Okay there are a LOT of bosses in this game and it feels like about 15 different pieces of movement tech. I still haven't found the wall bounce that it keeps talking about

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I've been struggling with Loss, the Broken Wings as the only boss I can find to progress and somehow it's easily the hardest fight for me, even including the Albedo Tower and Goliathfall bosses which I was underleveled for.

And then I found out/remembered I've been on Advanced all this time. Waaaay less punishing on Normal, good god.

Anyway I still only have three of those healing glyphs and every video I've seen of that boss fight has people with at least seven; where do I find those things?

E: Took two more tries after the 20+ before this, lmao. I feel kinda dirty but having the triple jump is nice.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 18, 2023