Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In a game that includes a Space Marine he may not be the biggest bruiser, but the only ride or die on my team is Abelard. If only because of the man's perfect ability to respond to "Abelard, announce me." as like 30 people are dead and a demon has popped into reality or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love Voidborn Crime Lord so much, but I'm not sure Soldier was actually the correct choice.

Already thinking of restarting lol.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’m enjoying my iconoclastic but stuffy naval officer charmer, but I’m definitely going to do a harder run too. Probably a hardline pious soldier. Is dual wielding pistol and sword any good? It felt like a thematic perk for a naval officer but wasn’t sure if it was actually worth doing over just using two weapon sets.

I mean, the only disadvantage per se is that you're using a pistol instead of a longarm. And if you're usually staying at range then one of those is probably better. But if you've found some really cool pistol you want to use then you might as well just stick a melee weapon in the other slot since it's not like you take any penalties for doing so.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I appreciate the meatier combat and character building compared to BG3, which felt like it had way less interesting decisions to make in both (even when it came to like, the creative stuff you could do in battle once you know the tricks it felt pretty samey.) But god I can't play this game too long or my brain starts to melt looking after all the numbers in a while lol.

I went with a pyscker officer for my main lady which feels like it has a lot of overlap with people I got in my party already. But on the other hand everything that combination does is fun so it doesn't bother me much~

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I appreciate the meatier combat and character building compared to BG3, which felt like it had way less interesting decisions to make in both (even when it came to like, the creative stuff you could do in battle once you know the tricks it felt pretty samey.) But god I can't play this game too long or my brain starts to melt looking after all the numbers in a while lol.

I went with a pyscker officer for my main lady which feels like it has a lot of overlap with people I got in my party already. But on the other hand everything that combination does is fun so it doesn't bother me much~

You can probably differentiate that pretty well; officers are pretty good to overlap with because free turns are good, and they all share Voice of Command for making sure you can hand out those free turns. And the psykers themselves have lots of differentiation options in what domains they grab--biomancy, telepathy, pyromancy, and the like.

Where you'll feel officer overload is in the specialization archtype. Vanguard probably isn't what you want unless you were doing something funny with a frontline melee officer, and Grand Strategist feels underwhelming. Which leaves Master Tactician--perfectly acceptable and has good selfish options too, but will probably feel samey if you have like three of them in the group or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can someone explain what is happening in this image?

Idira is in heavy cover, the enemy is in the square across it. Cover clearly counts otherwise it would not be listed in the skill check.

The enemy has 99% hit roll, there's a 10% chance to hit cover(???), Idira's dodge is reduced to 6%(lasgun I guess?), she isn't under any debuff effects and the enemy wasn't under any buffs. It looks like the only reason he even missed one shot was from the "strong deviation" as a result of burst fire.

Heavy cover is listed as being 65% chance to hit cover instead, where is the 55% reduction coming from? Being on the other side of the square? Because I've been in the exact same situation and seen way worse odds.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Anyone know if it's possible to rotate the grand strategist zones? It's a pain to get thrn set up properly sometimes.

AI allies hitting friendly fire is one of the more annoying things I'm dealing it. In the mission to recruit Jae she used a burst attack from behind Abelard and Henrix which killed them both.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

so how do you find out what the hymm is in the electric temple

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

I think it's supposed to be hinted at in things you discover in the temple but tbh I just looked it up online. The reward is not worth trying to figure that out.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

at least two of them are hinted at by interactables scattered around the area, and i just brute forced the third one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

When landing on Janus, I made a joke to a friend that the governor couldn't manage a simple rebellion, and was at the same time consorting with xenos. Next thing she's going to tell me is that she's got a trade deal lined up with Slannesh she wants to run by me.

After meeting and fighting the Farseer, I think my joke may have been a bit on the mark.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Mulva posted:

In a game that includes a Space Marine he may not be the biggest bruiser, but the only ride or die on my team is Abelard. If only because of the man's perfect ability to respond to "Abelard, announce me." as like 30 people are dead and a demon has popped into reality or some such.

Having Abelard announce you is always the correct option, except for the one time you can tell Pasqal to announce you. Completely loving awesome.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

How do you sort them? I can filter to the categories but nothing seems to sort it. Sometimes the categories aren't even there though so something else might be going on there.

Quoting myself here. Someone said you can sort the talents but I can't work it out. Can anyone help here?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I want to make DPS focused psyker, is Forge World pyromancer psyker operative a good start?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mulva posted:

I thought the Space Marine was really (as in comically) bad? Or was that just a beta issue that got fixed? From what I remember he can hardly use any equipment, his gear is mediocre, his size works against him and his build is bad.

edit: I would laugh if it was a deliberate bit of trolling on OwlCat's part, though

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 10, 2023

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

I want to make DPS focused psyker, is Forge World pyromancer psyker operative a good start?

If you go melee, I'd pick warrior.
If you want to be operative melee, maybe more doddgetank, I'd consider telepath/biomancer more.
If you want to sling fire on people from range, I'd pick soldier.

Operatives stacking exploits for big damage hits works better with a sniper or something equivalent, pyromancer mostly shits out instant damage and damage over time around him with everything he does on top of his normal hits

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Quoting myself here. Someone said you can sort the talents but I can't work it out. Can anyone help here?

When you have the option to only choose a common talent the sort options vanish. When you have an option to choose from the entire talent list you get a little bar over the list that let's you filter by types of talent.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

end of rykad spoilers

i cant even feel triumphant about this. this is just sad

do psychic attacks count for arch militant and what do they count as?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Further Reading posted:

When you have the option to only choose a common talent the sort options vanish. When you have an option to choose from the entire talent list you get a little bar over the list that let's you filter by types of talent.

I know how to filter them, I'm looking to sort them or better yet search. Someone said I could sort them.

I have Sniper Expertise as a talent but I need Perfect Shot for that but there's no indication where that talent or ability is.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm on Rykad Minoris and everyone is injured and it seems I can't leave to heal up on the ship. Is healing mid-level just not a thing in this game?
I don't like to save-scum fights that I won but didn't do perfectly

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm on Rykad Minoris and everyone is injured and it seems I can't leave to heal up on the ship. Is healing mid-level just not a thing in this game?
I don't like to save-scum fights that I won but didn't do perfectly

Can you not just run back to the void ship?

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

If it's where I think it is, you're stuck until you kill the AA gun- that being said do you mean injuries or trauma? Injuries aren't much to worry about until you really start attaching them- they just hurt your resolve generation as far as I can tell. Which stings, but it's otherwise ignorable though you can remove them with the medkits.

Traumas, on the other hand come with stat debuffs, but only go away when you visit the ship. I've mostly just played on with them, and I haven't noticed all that much of a difference.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Can you not just run back to the void ship?

Huh I swear that option wasn't available last I checked.

Thanks!

E: I meant traumas and maybe I hadn't destroyed the AA gun last time I tried

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

There are three kinds of permanent wounds:

* Fresh injury - heal with a med pack.
* Old injury - (allegedly) heal with a medpack but the %chance seems suuuper low
* Fatigue - if earned out of combat can only be healed by returning to the ship

You get fresh injuries if you take any damage outside of combat or take 50%+ in combat. You get old injuries if you don't heal a fresh injury fast enough. I'm not 100% sure what triggers fatigue.

Aramoro posted:

I know how to filter them, I'm looking to sort them or better yet search. Someone said I could sort them.

I have Sniper Expertise as a talent but I need Perfect Shot for that but there's no indication where that talent or ability is.

That person was referring to the filter that only appears sonetimes. There's no ingame search/sort at all. You could try checking fan wikis but I don't know which one is good yet.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 10, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

You can use Cassia's Locus of Distraction power (or however it's called, the "everbody in a large area will saves, those who fail move towards the center of the area" one) to pile 'em up nice, clumpy and out of cover, too. Of course, you could do that AND hurt them as you do it (with other passive Navigator talents), pile the resolve on her and dispense with the hail of bolter fire/shower of promethium. But it's much less funny.

But speaking of piling resolve : what determines a dude's base resolve, exactly ? I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be a secondary stat derived from an ability score, and it varies wildly between characters (eg my psyker officer rocks 6 at the end of chapter 1, while Pasqal only has 3). What gives ?

I checked, and there's an entry in the Tutorial section of the codex Corpus Valancius on "Momentum Details" that covers it: With no other bonuses from talents, abilities, or effects, it's just your Fellowship bonus. Reading it, I've realized why some downs hurt my momentum far worse than others: I'm running a ton of resolve buffs to pile on heroic acts, which means typically my whole party is around resolve 10, and an ally going down reduces momentum by x10 that character's resolve. Whoops.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

The second one is even worse and I just decided to quit out of it and come back to it later. There's probably a way to cheese it by pulling back to the corridor you came from and whittling down anything that comes after you but after getting stuck on that fight for the better part of half an hour I felt like that was just a waste of my time.

In the beta it was hard but not unfair, as I recall. But since Owlcat were told there were too many trash fights I guess they decided the solution was to just double or triple wounds on everything in that room and have the loudhailers buffing like mad too.

It would be a fun fight if it wasn't for the area of effect and line of sight being buggy and broken. It wasn't registering my attacks against the speakers and so everything was getting a massive health buffer basically every other activation, not round. Eventually I said gently caress it and knocked back the difficulty to the lowest level,that got it lol.

They definitely scaled back the profit factor rewards.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

They definitely scaled back the profit factor rewards.

Doesn’t surprise me since I was already able to clear out 80% of the stock from the first merchant I found. Didn’t even want most of the items.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Also doesn’t surprise me because, to the extent Owlcat does listen to beta feedback, it’s to make the game harder and more annoying.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is dual wielding pistol and sword any good? It felt like a thematic perk for a naval officer but wasn’t sure if it was actually worth doing over just using two weapon sets.

There's a perk that lets you attack with your off-hand weapon (at a heavy BS disadvantage), so it's a way to attack twice per turn for backgrounds who don't have "I attack a million times !" momentum abilities. Haven't tested it so I have no idea how worthwhile it is in practice.

The salient problem I see is that for that build you'd want both WS for your sword and BS for the pistol, but you could do twin pistols or twin swords maybe ?

Warmachine posted:

I checked, and there's an entry in the Tutorial section of the codex Corpus Valancius on "Momentum Details" that covers it: With no other bonuses from talents, abilities, or effects, it's just your Fellowship bonus. Reading it, I've realized why some downs hurt my momentum far worse than others: I'm running a ton of resolve buffs to pile on heroic acts, which means typically my whole party is around resolve 10, and an ally going down reduces momentum by x10 that character's resolve. Whoops.

Aaah, that clears it. Thank you so much !

Preechr posted:

Having Abelard announce you is always the correct option, except for the one time you can tell Pasqal to announce you. Completely loving awesome.

It really is RT's "Which inch ? Nuremberg or Innsbrück ?"

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Mulva posted:

This. What's the point of having the biggest spacedick if you can't have a lackey swing it and/or measure and recite its lineage for you?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

cuntman.net posted:

do psychic attacks count for arch militant and what do they count as?

They should fall under the same rules, yeah, so most would probably be ranged singe target or ranged area depending on the specific ability.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the first typical "gently caress you" Owlcat(tm) encounter in the game?
I only just started but it's been suspiciously smooth sailing on Daring difficulty so far.

I've read some people claiming that the Chaos Spawn encounter is bullshit but the game literally has a giant tutorial pop-up telling you to read enemy abilities during that fight and if you read it's abilities then than encounter is a joke.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I only just started but it's been suspiciously smooth sailing on Daring difficulty so far.

I've read some people claiming that the Chaos Spawn encounter is bullshit but the game literally has a giant tutorial pop-up telling you to read enemy abilities during that fight and if you read it's abilities then than encounter is a joke.

Probably depends on the player. I see a lot of gnashing of teeth about the first Spaceport encounter, which I'll agree with since that one also hosed me up. I think a more convincing one is the Derelict Void Ship because that reeks of something that you shouldn't be attempting until later in the game, but it's also one of the first away missions you're likely to come across.

Anyway, I :commissar:'d Idira after she called a daemon in the form of Theodora. My trader was willing to put up with an unsanctioned psyker if she could control herself. But 'getting drunk and summoning daemons from the warp' is a bridge too far.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah I found the spawn fine as I was able to use Argenta to kill all the cultists before it had a turn.

To answer your question:

The chaos space marine one shot my melee and did such a good job resisting Cassia's abilities I initially assumed he was immune to forced movement.

Another option is the ship with those speaker things that give temp wounds to all the enemies. Mainly because they are immune to melee and psychic powers which I heavily relied on.

Also on the note of Argenta I've broken her companion quest. I followed the blue suns to find the cultists just fine. I killed the pink horror, the cultists and the spawn. Had some dialogue of Argenta resisting the urge to kill the cultist for fun and then nothing. The quest still says to take Argenta to kill the cultists but the suns and door no longer appear in the zone.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Not really Owlcat's fault but my fight against the cultists in the power station on Rykad Minor got reaaaally dicey when (I think ?) a bad Warp Overuse Fuckery roll turned one of the mooks into a giant Spawn right on top of the head honcho summoning blue horrors. Some squishies got squished.

Thankfully, Abelard is a man-shaped shouty spacerock.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm really surprised over how smooth and friction free the combat is. I didn't think Owlcat liked that kind of thing.

There's no loving Vancian casting. No pre-buffing. No loving around with positioning before you trigger the encounter. No inventory management bullshit when it comes to looting.
They made major gameplay improvements since Pathfinder.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there any reason to go with a premade character rather than a custom one in this one?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Is there any reason to go with a premade character rather than a custom one in this one?

Laziness.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Someone smarter than me please tell me how to build a melee officer that buffs frontliners, I'm getting mad analysis paralysis looking at this character creator. Especially since respec is apparently only for skillpoints and stuff and not the origin/homeworld stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Further Reading posted:

Yeah I found the spawn fine as I was able to use Argenta to kill all the cultists before it had a turn.

To answer your question:

The chaos space marine one shot my melee and did such a good job resisting Cassia's abilities I initially assumed he was immune to forced movement.

Another option is the ship with those speaker things that give temp wounds to all the enemies. Mainly because they are immune to melee and psychic powers which I heavily relied on.

Also on the note of Argenta I've broken her companion quest. I followed the blue suns to find the cultists just fine. I killed the pink horror, the cultists and the spawn. Had some dialogue of Argenta resisting the urge to kill the cultist for fun and then nothing. The quest still says to take Argenta to kill the cultists but the suns and door no longer appear in the zone.

They are not immune to melee. You need to target their floortile, which is circled red.

On other news, I don't know what happened, but I don't like what they've done to my Cassia: