Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God apartment prices in Montreal are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

UWO famously changed their name from University of Western Ontario to Western University (wink wink) to entice foreign students recruited abroad.

jfc

You know I thought this was bullshit but I couldn't be bothered to look it up but now I will take 5 seconds of effort to copypaste from Wikipedia:

The University of Western Ontario (UWO; branded as Western University) ... was founded on 7 March 1878 by Bishop Isaac Hellmuth of the Anglican Diocese of Huron as the Western University of London, Ontario.

So no, they didn't change their official name, and as for the insinuation that rebranding is pandering or whatever, pretty much everyone I know referred to it as just Western 20-odd years ago rather than UWO. Who gives a poo poo if they did some half-assed real life SEO?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think some of you understand how deeply silly the 2 stairwells rule can be in small buildings.

I used to live in a building like this. Total of 4 floors. 15 units (one of the ground floor spaces was occupied by the laundry room and storerooms). In a fire the 3 remaining ground floor units could evacuate through their patio doors. (Honestly most able bodied people on the first floor could probably get from their balcony to the ground too, and they were mostly able bodied because there was no elevator.) So 12 units using the stairs. These buildings were all 1 or 2 bedroom units, so an absolute maximum of 4 people per unit, usually fewer. No more than 48 people trying to evacuate at one time, which could easily be done with a single staircase.

We eventually had to leave because my mom could no longer manage the stairs. If instead of 2 stairwells it had been 1 stairwell and 1 elevator that would have been a great quality of life improvement for the residents.

This is not why developers aren't building housing, and lowering the standards of the building code will not change that.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Who gives a poo poo if they did some half-assed real life SEO?

Presumably the foreign students they recruit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they name the stadium after Rob Ford, the fans have to all agree to just call it "The Crackhouse"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
etobicrackcokeaine stadium

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

infernal machines posted:

if doug ford is any guide, he'll have the least effective majority government in history

Doug Ford has been very effective at doing what his handlers wanted. Healthcare is collapsing and housing will not be fixed for generations. The new serfdom has been secured. The only reason he's been allowed to flounder lately is because the handlers have what they want and don't need to watch him anymore.

On a national level PP has not accomplished what they want so his handlers will be very careful.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Durf posted:

here's a fun image I saw today. ridings displayed via representation instead of real estate

Alberta and the praries matched by the maritimes and the GTA alone lol

Love to be in PEI - my useless vote counts for like 100 of yours!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

If they name the stadium after Rob Ford, the fans have to all agree to just call it "The Crackhouse"

why not Fordlândia

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Allowing for more, and worse, tenement fires by getting ride of codes, rather than forcing developers to build is exactly what's wrong with Canadian political horizons.

The idea that we need to do everything we can to entice private capital to doing socially useful things, often including dismantling our own regulatory (state) power and ability to exercise authority where it might interfere in the bottom line, it's absurd.

They're not loving rain gods that need to be sacrificed to and entreated for Christ's sake.

e: Building codes like "requiring two stairwells" are usually the result of some pretty bad things happening in the not too distant past. And if you're thinking, "well, buildings are safer now", this would be dismantling one of the codes that make them safe. Who's to say the other codes don't also "limit options" and impede our poor developers from building housing tomorrow, which they would surely do if fire doors didn't need to open outwards and wiring and insulation weren't so onerous to install?

He's right, anyone saying otherwise hasn't experienced a building fire. Fire spreads unbelievably quickly, if you are 4 stories up and the single stairwell is on fire you are trusting your life to how quickly the fire department can get through traffic. Odds are in your favour, but you're rolling the dice. That second stairwell would mean you'd be outside in about 1 minute.

As FF says, raise your standards a little folks. Look at that building in Langford that started collapsing and was found to not be up to code. Developers are already not meeting the code, chances are they aren't fully complying with the fire code. You folks want to loosen regulation on them?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It's not clear whether single stair cases would be loosening regulations. It could well be that we end up increasing regulations if we're adding even more fire safety measures to compensate for removing the requirement of a back up stairway.

Really is an implementation detail here. There's a right way to do this and a wrong way.

As the previously posted article notes:

quote:

Second, some well-meaning people describe single-stair as “deregulation” because it modifies the fire code and strips buildings of one form of egress, thus making them more unsafe. I think it’s important to distinguish between a change in the building code and the rolling back of the building code. Like I said before, single-stair buildings are de rigueur in much of Europe, in places like Switzerland, which have much lower rates of fires than the US does. Compensation for the loss of egress can come in many forms, like compartmentalization of units to keep fire from spreading or increased fire suppression measures like sprinklers. Essentially, the change in code would substitute one safety feature for another rather than remove fire protection altogether. Theoretically, single stair-buildings are no less safe than those built using double-loaded corridors.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Could we not just install those fun airplane emergency slides outside everyone's window?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

He's right, anyone saying otherwise hasn't experienced a building fire. Fire spreads unbelievably quickly, if you are 4 stories up and the single stairwell is on fire you are trusting your life to how quickly the fire department can get through traffic. Odds are in your favour, but you're rolling the dice. That second stairwell would mean you'd be outside in about 1 minute.

As FF says, raise your standards a little folks. Look at that building in Langford that started collapsing and was found to not be up to code. Developers are already not meeting the code, chances are they aren't fully complying with the fire code. You folks want to loosen regulation on them?

you're right, apartments all over europe and the rest of world burn down all the time murdering millions because they only have 1 stairwell

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Changing the code and enforcing it are two separate matters.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

you're right, apartments all over europe and the rest of world burn down all the time murdering millions because they only have 1 stairwell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

i mean, kinda, yeah

it's not like you CAN'T compensate for only having one staircase by other means but lol if you think they're going to do that here

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Entropic posted:

bumbacrack

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

It's not clear whether single stair cases would be loosening regulations. It could well be that we end up increasing regulations if we're adding even more fire safety measures to compensate for removing the requirement of a back up stairway.

Really is an implementation detail here. There's a right way to do this and a wrong way.

As the previously posted article notes:

cock hero flux posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

i mean, kinda, yeah

it's not like you CAN'T compensate for only having one staircase by other means but lol if you think they're going to do that here

grenfall is an example of a situation of a building built exactly to code (single access / egress), and where the scottish building code was literally amended to prevent this from happening again (buildings higher than six storeys must have more than one access / egress)

Hubbert posted:

I stand by what I said.

:colbert:

I am also absolutely open to learning more about this approach to development.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would simply not wrap tall buildings in flammable cladding. Or short buildings. Arguably any buildings, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you'll never make it as a landlord with that attitude.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

there aught to be some law against cladding a building with oily rags, gasoline, and fireworks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

there aught to be some law against cladding a building with oily rags, gasoline, and fireworks.

it didn’t go up like a torch, it just was a torch

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hubbert posted:

grenfall is an example of a situation of a building built exactly to code (single access / egress), and where the scottish building code was literally amended to prevent this from happening again (buildings higher than six storeys must have more than one access / egress)

begging people to read the article that keeps getting linked.

quote:

It’s not just that building codes exist; it’s that they also need to be enforced. Grenfell Tower in London, for example, was a single-stair building. But the reason the 2017 fire that claimed 72 lives proved so deadly was because of years of negligence and mismanagement, as well as the use of a particularly flammable material chosen (despite explicit instructions otherwise) as cladding during exterior renovations. In short, the deadly results of Grenfell were caused by naked exploitation and greed.

But yea also I'm not sure BC is interested in extending single stairs beyond six floors. Seems like that causes more problems if a fire truck ladder can't reach floors beyond that.

Femtosecond has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Dec 10, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So many people feeling really bad at Pilievre maybe winning next election, and all I can say is "He wouldn't win if the Liberals and NDP didn't suck poo poo."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canadian liberals will spend their whole lives saying “Canada has free public healthcare, unlike the States” and “Just because Ireland has free post-secondary education doesn’t mean it could ever work in Canada”, but the second the developers get a news cycle going, suddenly Canada needs to get in line with the rest of the world (by deregulating the building code).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hubbert posted:

that's not why it was a disaster, i recommend some reading into it!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

that's not why it was a disaster, i recommend some reading into it!

OK but other people expounded upon it in this thread

And femtosecond demands we all read articles but Scotland matches their previous pitch: no more than six storeys, unless you wanna slam that second staircase in.

Scotland didn't have a second staircase until the rules came into effect. That's how their building code changed. I still want to know how six storeys single access & egress works. Pressurized staircase? Fully sprinklered? Non-combustible build? What else?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hubbert posted:

OK but other people expounded upon it in this thread

And femtosecond demands we all read articles but Scotland matches their previous pitch: no more than six storeys, unless you wanna slam that second staircase in.

Scotland didn't have a second staircase until the rules came into effect. That's how their building code changed. I still want to know how six storeys single access & egress works. Pressurized staircase? Fully sprinklered? Non-combustible build? What else?

you know that more people die in apartment fires here, with 2 stairs, right?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

this is the dumbest argument

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

you know that more people die in apartment fires here, with 2 stairs, right?

do they?

i mean i had my apartment building catch fire a few years back but like, everyone just left? down the stairs? seems like you don't die if you do that, but if there's only one maybe it's on fire and you can't. i dunno, seems like having 2 staircases isn't so much to ask and that housing prices aren't so loving nuts purely because a second set of stairs is some unsustainable luxury and the free market will correct it if only the man wasn't forcing them to add all these unnecessary stairs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cock hero flux posted:

do they?

i mean i had my apartment building catch fire a few years back but like, everyone just left? down the stairs? seems like you don't die if you do that, but if there's only one maybe it's on fire and you can't. i dunno, seems like having 2 staircases isn't so much to ask and that housing prices aren't so loving nuts purely because a second set of stairs is some unsustainable luxury and the free market will correct it if only the man wasn't forcing them to add all these unnecessary stairs

Surely a "high-rise building" is taller than six stories?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

this is the dumbest argument

thank you

what would you like to talk about

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
okay okay let's compromise

two staircases but each has half as many stairs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Surely a "high-rise building" is taller than six stories?

funnily enough the building code definition is 6 stories for residential buildings

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
no canadian can afford land-based housing, so we build three-storey fireproof walkups in the sky instead

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there should be two stair wells so the arsonist has options when torching the property under construction

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

pokeyman posted:

okay okay let's compromise

two staircases but each has half as many stairs

stairs around one side of the shaft, slide on the other.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the obvious solution is u have to have as many staircases as floors

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I would be curious if the 2nd staircase is there to replace the traditional fire escape you see on many older buildings.

Also, if Hollywood is any indication, firefighters just need to detonate the enormous water towers atop the building to put out a fire.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtWbWmwu2U&t=158s

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Just make a fireproof tunnel though the center of the building with a pole so people can just slide down

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Why are we building apartments to some "code" just use language the regular man can understand!

Enough of this gatekeeping, we need some common sense solutions tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
do you have stairs in your house