Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

quote:

I have only been disabled for about three years, so I don’t know a whole protocol. Are there some CEUs I should be taking to achieve professional status? Or is there any benefit to maintaining my amateur status?

The difference between being professionally disabled and amateur is if you get paid for it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I watched Wild Wild West a couple of years back and all the time I kept thinking "what is the audience of this film?“

It has plenty of PG-13 violence and sex so I wouldn't show it to actual children although they would propably enjoy most of the steampunk spider.

And because the action and sex is PG-13, it doesn't draw in older action movie crowd. Add to this the bizarre jokes about Will Smith in a drag and the slur competiton with the disabled villain and it's really hard to understand why'd the think this would sell.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Fish of hemp posted:

I watched Wild Wild West a couple of years back and all the time I kept thinking "what is the audience of this film?“

It has plenty of PG-13 violence and sex so I wouldn't show it to actual children although they would propably enjoy most of the steampunk spider.

And because the action and sex is PG-13, it doesn't draw in older action movie crowd. Add to this the bizarre jokes about Will Smith in a drag and the slur competiton with the disabled villain and it's really hard to understand why'd the think this would sell.

My Jr high school took everyone to see it as part of an end of year party thing. I think it literally only appealed to specifically 13 year olds.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also his Guardian interview:

quote:

What is the worst job you've done?
Super Mario Brothers.

What has been your biggest disappointment?
Super Mario Brothers.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I wouldn't do Super Mario Brothers.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Fish of hemp posted:

The audience was 10 year old me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
When asked if he'd change anything if he lived his life over again, Peter Sellers' infamously replied "I'd do everything exactly the same, only I wouldn't see 'The Magus'".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I sometimes get payed to be disabled but usually not but I still need to renew my disability every few years because they think my leg might've grown back

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

I sometimes get payed to be disabled but usually not but I still need to renew my disability every few years because they think my leg might've grown back

The one time where anyone has successfully made their case because they don't have a leg to stand on. (I should add: the people who require recertification of a disability can get hosed with a splintered broomstick. They're all scum.)

@mind the walrus - Morgan Freeman's breakout role was in Brubaker in 1980. He was 43. Alan Rickman was 42 before even appearing in a movie (Die Hard). It happens more than you think, mostly to actors who start out on stage, or as part of the TV cast pool like Bryan Cranston.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Most directors make their first film around 32. Ridley Scott was 40 when he made his first film.

Though he had directed a bunch of ads and such for a few years before that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Taeke posted:

Same. It was on the level of It's Always Sunny and Thropic Thunder where the entire point is how wrong it is, and neither of those got pulled as far as I know.

The It’s Always Sunny episodes with blackface were all pulled from tv and Hulu in 2020.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ah, that makes sense.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jedit posted:

He wasn't that old - he was 45 or 46.
So, he was almost 50.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone older than 35 is basically 50.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

run on sentience posted:

My Jr high school took everyone to see it as part of an end of year party thing. I think it literally only appealed to specifically 13 year olds.

Yeah 13 year old me thought Wild Wild West was a fuckin great movie. Haha look at that fuckin spider hell yeah!!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Wild wild west and Super Mario Brothers are not great films, but they are mostly watchable. But even more we're talking about them in 2023, which is more than can be said about 99% of films, so maybe a win on that front.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably a big part is the legitimate backlash from how hyped and heavily advertised they were vs the actual product. It's like how everyone's gleefully turned on Starfield.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people remember Wild Wild West not from the movie but because Will Smith's song remains embedded in the depths of the subconscious of anyone who existed in the 90s.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jim West, desperado
Rough rider, no you don't want nada
None of this, six-gunnin' this, brother runnin' this
Buffalo soldier, look, it's like I told ya

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Will Smith as the most popular movie star in the world, making songs to go with his movies. Fresh prince, men in black, wild Wild West. As I’ve said before, the 90s were simply unbeatable

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jedit posted:

The one time where anyone has successfully made their case because they don't have a leg to stand on. (I should add: the people who require recertification of a disability can get hosed with a splintered broomstick. They're all scum.)

@mind the walrus - Morgan Freeman's breakout role was in Brubaker in 1980. He was 43. Alan Rickman was 42 before even appearing in a movie (Die Hard). It happens more than you think, mostly to actors who start out on stage, or as part of the TV cast pool like Bryan Cranston.

Rickman and Freeman were already successful stars of relatively mainstream stage and TV, which means they were better off than 999 out of 1000 working actors. I have no idea what propping up this myth actually does for anyone beyond masturbating. Is it really that dangerous to industry kayfabe? Are people that mentally and emotionally fragile to acknowledge that most industries are largely not fair and the success stories are almost always the exception to the general rule?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most directors make their first film around 32. Ridley Scott was 40 when he made his first film.

Though he had directed a bunch of ads and such for a few years before that.

I worked with the producer for the 1984 commercial. Absolute garbage human being who'd built her entire career on "I hired Ridley Scott once". She had her Emmy up at her desk. Not in her office, at her desk.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Rickman and Freeman were already successful stars of relatively mainstream stage and TV, which means they were better off than 999 out of 1000 working actors. I have no idea what propping up this myth actually does for anyone beyond masturbating. Is it really that dangerous to industry kayfabe? Are people that mentally and emotionally fragile to acknowledge that most industries are largely not fair and the success stories are almost always the exception to the general rule?
How dare you spit on my dream of moving to LA and working tables at a restaurant until some producer notices me and hands me instant stardom!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fish of hemp posted:

literally the same audience as Men in Black

right down to me showing MiB to kids in like 2015 and forgetting that the very first scene had them going "poo poo"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wondering how many people mostly remember the Cartman version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttK4e9fyuIM

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

TGG posted:

I've met the guy before and I can say that Ken was a damned kind person, at least to myself and my friends. He also seemed waaaaay more interested in talking about medical poo poo as compared to hollywood stuff.

I know this was a couple pages back, but Jeong and McHale were doing a podcast in the early pandemic and it ended up mostly just being Ken talking about the science behind the virus and the vaccines and even getting into ivermectin and whatnot. Dude clearly still cares more about medicine than anything else, but he’s made a lot more money doing much easier work as an actor so who can really blame him? He’s like the anti-Chang IRL.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MokBa posted:

I know this was a couple pages back, but Jeong and McHale were doing a podcast in the early pandemic and it ended up mostly just being Ken talking about the science behind the virus and the vaccines and even getting into ivermectin and whatnot. Dude clearly still cares more about medicine than anything else, but he’s made a lot more money doing much easier work as an actor so who can really blame him? He’s like the anti-Chang IRL.

I think he had a short-lived series on YouTube or somewhere where people would ask him medical questions and he'd answer.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think that's just from that channel that has celebrities/experts answer twitter questions and not his own thing.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

MokBa posted:

How much could he possibly care about medicine if he was partaking in the horse delouser madness?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

How much could he possibly care about medicine if he was partaking in the horse delouser madness?

Gonna go on a limb here and say he was debunking it/mocking it in equal measure.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ken is OK by me, he just has a stack of pretty unpleasant roles. He seems like a good person that is unfortunately really adept at playing aggro freaks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
In a case of me not aging well, one of my kids wanted to watch Home Alone which I think I have seen once before. And I forgot that everyone in the movie is just deeply unlikable and the last 20 minutes is a cartoon. Kevin's family sucks, Kevin's can be an rear end in a top hat, and who forgets their kid. It almost felt painful to watch to me and I realized I am getting old.

Like I said, it's me, I am the one not aging well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Some families suck rear end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Home Alone is a hair’s breadth away from being a right-wing fantasy about the castle doctrine and the importance of weapons training for children.

There is a somewhat disturbing thread in the film of taking sadistic glee in torturing and killing someone because anything you do to an intruder is justifiable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mooseontheloose posted:

In a case of me not aging well, one of my kids wanted to watch Home Alone which I think I have seen once before. And I forgot that everyone in the movie is just deeply unlikable and the last 20 minutes is a cartoon. Kevin's family sucks, Kevin's can be an rear end in a top hat, and who forgets their kid. It almost felt painful to watch to me and I realized I am getting old.

Like I said, it's me, I am the one not aging well.

In my house if Home Alone is on while the kids are around, we put it in Spanish so that they don't know all the horrible things people are saying to each other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

¡Mira lo que hiciste, pequeño idiota!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Home alone is straw dogs for kids and let me tell you straw dogs has not aged well even a little bit.

Home alone slaps though.

My fanfic sequel has adult Macaulay caulkin down on his luck start breaking into houses and ultimately going up against a kid who was just like him, sort of like a family friendly the collector.

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Dec 10, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

There is a somewhat disturbing thread in the film of taking sadistic glee in torturing and killing someone because anything you do to an intruder is justifiable.

Are you sure you watched Home Alone and not Don't Breathe?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funny to see people get bonked on the head. People take things too seriously to a point where it’s legitimately concerning lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ambitious Spider posted:

Home alone is straw dogs for kids and let me tell you straw dogs has not aged well even a little bit.

Home alone slaps though.

My fanfic sequel has adult Macaulay caulkin down on his luck start breaking into houses and ultimately going up against a kid who was just like him, sort of like a family friendly the collector.

Mine has adult Kevin finally severing from his lovely family and spending Christmas alone when the elderly crooks try to break into his house out of desperation and after having mutual war flashbacks and shenanigans Kevin decides they're still better than his family and makes peace with them and invites them to Christmas dinner.