Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is going on here

Cracking and pinging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

what is going on here

geo-electric "earth dam" (experimental (failure))

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Cracking and pinging

yep. love to see a real world example of the metaphor

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Crazycryodude posted:

Cracking and pinging

FistEnergy posted:

yep. love to see a real world example of the metaphor

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

And this is a metaphor for my brain attempting to rationalize pursuing a career while the habitable biosphere has 30-40 years left

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

yep. and all of us are the scared & confused dog inside the car

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

working as designed. perfectly safe. marvel of human ingenuity. we've got this folks

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I've been watching this guy for a while and I'm sure you guys know him but this is the distillation of everything that troubles this world and it is well worth the watch because he breaks down everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GocuMZX3hIs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

what is going on here

tieback wall failure. you install a soldier-beam-and-lagging or concrete face with anchor tiebacks to retain lateral earth pressures.

usually you want to install horizontal walers and have big anchor plates at the ends so there isn't much tributary area that isn't being confined by the anchor. the anchors should also usually be post-tensioned so it keeps a force acting against the earth and doesn't require movement to engage. in this case, it was not an anchor failure but failure to use anchor plates so they just stripped out: looks like very thin shotcrete, no plates at the end of the tiebacks, not post-tensioned, and no walers, so the shotcrete failed

(i design these and other foundations for a living)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Microplastics posted:

A cave is just a naturally-occurring dome: prove me wrong

"heat cave" sounds cooler than "heat dome"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What I'm getting is the return to cave is overall slightly possible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/ClimateDefiance/status/1733244938660282572

hell yeah

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

tieback wall failure. you install a soldier-beam-and-lagging or concrete face with anchor tiebacks to retain lateral earth pressures.

usually you want to install horizontal walers and have big anchor plates at the ends so there isn't much tributary area that isn't being confined by the anchor. the anchors should also usually be post-tensioned so it keeps a force acting against the earth and doesn't require movement to engage. in this case, it was not an anchor failure but failure to use anchor plates so they just stripped out: looks like very thin shotcrete, no plates at the end of the tiebacks, not post-tensioned, and no walers, so the shotcrete failed

(i design these and other foundations for a living)

actually there’s no way to know what happened. sometimes bad things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

who are these guys

are they an op too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stereotype posted:

actually there’s no way to know what happened. sometimes bad things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do.

The wall fell apart due to the natural cycle of the ground

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Mola Yam posted:

who are these guys

are they an op too

idk but "EAT poo poo DARREN" is a p good slogan

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
wtf
WA gasoline pipeline leaks, spilling into creek and closing K-8 school

www.seattletimes.com posted:

A pipeline leaked Sunday south of Mount Vernon, spilling gasoline into a nearby ditch and creek and closing an elementary school.

The Olympic Pipeline leaked on the north side of Highway 534 in Skagit County, and the highway is closed from the Interstate 5 offramp to Bulson Road, according to the Washington State Department of Ecology. A vault connected to the pipeline spilled gas into Hill Ditch and Bulson Creek, and responders are recovering gas from the water.

Gasoline spilled out of a vault along the pipeline, so there is no rupture out of the pipeline itself, said Department of Ecology spokesperson Ty Keltner.

Crews have placed containment booms in Fisher Creek and other waterways connected to Hill Ditch to prevent the gas from spreading, Keltner said.

Conway School, a nearby K-8 school in Mount Vernon, will be closed Monday due to the spill. The Skagit County Emergency Operations Center has set up a temporary command center at the elementary school, according to a letter to parents from the Conway School District.

Air monitoring has been performed at nearby homes and gasoline vapor concentrations are within safe limits, according to the Department of Ecology. An inspector from the Northwest Clean Air Agency is on site.

The pipeline, owned by BP, runs along a 299-mile corridor from Blaine to Portland delivering fuel to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and Harbor Island. The pipeline exploded in 1999 in Bellingham, killing three people.

BP did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Keltner said the Department of Ecology does not yet have an estimate on how long cleanup will take.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I remember that pipeline in Bham blowing up. The deaths were children, and BP tried to blame it on them because they were allegedly playing with matches or something.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i'm sure all the other storage sites in our pipeline infrastructure are sufficiently maintained that this is an outlier and not a sign of increasingly common future disasters

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_pipeline_explosion

quote:

On June 10, 1999, the Olympic pipeline operated by Olympic Pipe Line Company, carrying gasoline at the time, exploded in Whatcom Falls Park in Bellingham, Washington. The disaster started at 3:25 PM PDT (22:25 UTC) when a mostly underground gasoline pipeline that crossed Whatcom and Hanna Creeks ruptured due to various errors and malfunctions on the part of Olympic Pipeline and others.[1] The gasoline vapors exploded at 5:02 PM PDT, sending a fireball down Whatcom Creek. Three people died in the incident.[2]

The disaster began as Olympic Pipeline was transporting gasoline from Cherry Point Refinery to terminals in Seattle and Portland, Oregon. A pressure relief valve that was improperly configured failed to open in the 16-inch (410 mm) pipeline, which resulted in a surge of pressure after an automatic valve shut for unknown reasons. This resulted in the line rupturing at 3:25 that afternoon, and gasoline began spilling into Hanna Creek just above its confluence with Whatcom Creek. As the gasoline continued to spill, many people in the area called 911 to report the gasoline smell, and an Olympic Pipeline employee who was in the area called the company to inquire whether they had an anomaly.[2][4]

When the Bellingham Fire Department arrived, massive amounts of gasoline had turned the creek pink, and the fumes were overwhelming. The fire department notified Olympic Pipe Line of the leak and evacuated the area around the creek.[2]

The gasoline exploded at 5:02 PM.[5][6] The black smoke plume extended to an altitude of 30,000 feet (9,100 m) and the smoke from the explosion was visible from Vancouver to Anacortes

Three people died in the incident. The first was Liam Wood, 18, who was fly fishing in the creek. He was rendered unconscious by the fumes and fell into the creek, drowning before the explosion.[7] Two children, …

Property damage was estimated at $58,455,927, most of it caused by the explosion. Many nearby buildings had broken windows. One house was completely destroyed. The city's water treatment plant was near the explosion site, and while the building itself survived, everything inside was destroyed. The rupture allowed 277,000 US gallons (1,050,000 L) of gasoline to escape into the creek bed

just a lil oopsie

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_pipeline_explosion

quote:

Three people died in the incident. The first was Liam Wood, 18, who was fly fishing in the creek. He was rendered unconscious by the fumes and fell into the creek, drowning before the explosion.[7] Two children, …

well now I have a new irrational fear scenario rivaling the Lake Nyos thing where a whole lake burped CO2 on a town

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mola Yam posted:

who are these guys

are they an op too

don't know but they're spitting fire so if they're an op bring on the propaganda

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://vxtwitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1734250941451300907?s=20

quote:

Fury at COP28 climate summit after promise to "phase out" fossil fuels is removed from draft deal

This breaking news is unfolding. Stay tuned

Hit Man has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Dec 11, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
great, they’re just gonna stop using them all at once then

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Going coal turkey

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Oh so now the left dislikes the Olympics?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

drat. we were so close!

e:

quote:

The suave Sultan al-Jaber, who’s presiding over the conference, seemed to take the anger in his stride.

He made some soothing noises at a gathering of delegates and then disappeared into the night.
lmao did the sultan coo like a dove

TACD has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Dec 11, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://x.com/nymetrowx/status/1734347973440782504?s=46&t=NfFUqnrTGI_gdViBS3OzCg

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol 95F in Wisconsin in December

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Come to the Great Lakes region, it's a Climate Haven(tm)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

Come to the Great Lakes region, it's a Climate Haven(tm)

CLIMATE

PROOF

DULUTH!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stereotype posted:

temperature anomalies are not raw temperatures

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Stereotype posted:

thats a weak pussy poo poo temperature, let's aim for 105F in wisconsin in december next year :D

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

temperature anomalies are not raw temperatures

of course they're not raw they cooked lmao

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

what is going on here

:piss:

bl1ndsight