Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which 2023 game do you think will win Something Awful’s Game of the Year award?
This poll is closed.
Dead Space 5 5.10%
Metroid Prime 15 15.31%
Resident Evil 4 17 17.35%
Super Mario RPG 37 37.76%
System Shock 24 24.49%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like an incredibly cringey piece of media that should be forgotten before it does lasting damage.

goatface fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It still trying to leverage the "lmao so random 80s" vibe from Blood Dragon is an immediate red flag

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blankspace posted:

Jade & Pey'j join a Suicide Squad heist, Pey'j announces he wants to gently caress Jade, she gets shot to death by a Far Cry guy before her head graphically explodes. Pey'j get shot to death by cops at a race riot.

What?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Assassins Creed frog is cute and animated well and everything else about it is utterly bizarre

It's not awful but it really is just kind of weird and mean spirited

Ubisoft is just... a weird rear end company in general

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2023

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

goatface posted:

That sounds like an incredibly cringey piece of media that should be forgotten before it does lasting damage.

yep. i was pretty surprised by how positive the reception was, but I guess I'm just not the target audience. it looks like Netflix is just throwing cash at Adi Shankar to just do whatever at this point, so I fully expect more embarrassing gaming-related content in the years to come. look forward to the Devil May Cry adaptation where Dante is addicted to computer duster and has cool sex with tit demons or whatever.

SHANKAR: In a way, it's not just one thing because it's what you were alluding to in the beginning; it's all the twists and turns. Because I've spent the last 10 years really studying all the subgenres that we are either spoofing, satirizing, or riffing on. I mentioned this earlier before the interview started: I've been dealing with some crazy chronic illness issues that nearly killed me. So basically, I went from being this, like, super extroverted dude who was crushing it in the Hollywood ecosystem, and I got to go to cool events and cool parties to the point where I couldn't leave my house because I was constantly overstimulated. I didn't really understand what was going on and couldn't articulate what was going on. So, I spent a lot of time really going, “Okay, what am I gonna do with this time now because I'm effectively agoraphobic?” And I just really studied genre, subgenre, writing, screenplays, and I did a deep dive on this stuff. So yeah, I think it's the subverting of expectations is what I'm excited for people to watch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what if this character said some swears

and then died

no one has done anything like this before

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

And this garbage was something made by a production company recently and not a flash cartoon from Newgrounds ca. 2003?

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

what if this character said some swears

and then died

no one has done anything like this before

SHANKAR: Because for years, you know, any time I would have any sort of hit or even a single or a double, you end up getting studio meetings. You show up, and they're like, “So what do you want to do? What do you want to do?” And I'm like, “So you have the rights to Waldo, right?” And they're like, “Yeah, uh-huh…” and then they all get uncomfortable. They're like, “What the gently caress is he talking about? Waldo?” I'm like, “Okay, so imagine a hard R Where's Waldo?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are these actual quotes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In addition, Shankar frequently cites rapper Eminem, writer Warren Ellis, artist Takashi Murakami, wrestler Diamond Dallas Page, and Final Fantasy VII character Sephiroth as artistic and stylistic influences.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

are these actual quotes

“They’d say, ‘He talks really fast and has vivid ideas that are kind of left-of-center sometimes,’” Shankar remembers. “I had a pretty traumatic incident when I was 17 or 18. They were basically like, ‘You’re on drugs! And we know you’re on drugs because you have these ideas that are anti-establishment.’”

Shankar still carries those admonishments and accusations from teachers and administrators with him. How could he not when he was coming of age in a time and place where the very people meant to be protecting him viewed him as a threat?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bone emulator posted:

And this garbage was something made by a production company recently and not a flash cartoon from Newgrounds ca. 2003?

Very recently, it came out in late October of this year

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

are these actual quotes

Sadly, yes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the least surprising appearance possible

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Great Value The Crow

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

the least surprising appearance possible

“I don’t give a gently caress — I’ve never given a gently caress about any of this, straight up,” he says, now defiant as he walks through the convention center. “You can’t create when you’re living in fear, because what you create is just bullshit. You’re pandering. I’m not emotionally attached to any of this. You can’t take this away from me.”

this guy absolutely rules

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Great Value The Crow

Hard R The Crow

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Blankspace posted:

Devil May Cry adaptation where Dante is addicted to computer duster and has cool sex with tit demons or whatever.

Don't you threaten me with a crazy party time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blankspace posted:

Jade & Pey'j join a Suicide Squad heist, Pey'j announces he wants to gently caress Jade, she gets shot to death by a Far Cry guy before her head graphically explodes. Pey'j get shot to death by cops at a race riot.

wtf

Waffleman_ posted:

It still trying to leverage the "lmao so random 80s" vibe from Blood Dragon is an immediate red flag

Yeah I know a lot of people loved that game for some reason but I found it viscerally gross to look at and didn't find the writing funny at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played every FC game and Blood Dragon is by far the worst, it's good reputation is apparently entirely due to it being short and having a single funny joke (I can't remember one but I assume it most have at least one.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Blankspace posted:

it looks like Netflix is just throwing cash at Adi Shankar to just do whatever at this point, so I fully expect more embarrassing gaming-related content in the years to come. look forward to the Devil May Cry adaptation where Dante is addicted to computer duster and has cool sex with tit demons or whatever.

I’ve never subscribed to netflix, but I was sort of under the impression that the first season of Castlevania was popular, so Netflix said “Well, we don’t understand video game so I guess we’ll crown this guy the video games guy forever.” And Adi Shankar only has one style, which maybe worked for Castlevania?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

I’ve never subscribed to netflix, but I was sort of under the impression that the first season of Castlevania was popular, so Netflix said “Well, we don’t understand video game so I guess we’ll crown this guy the video games guy forever.” And Adi Shankar only has one style, which maybe worked for Castlevania?

I really liked seasons 1, 2 and 4 or Castlevania.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
didn't this clown make the edgy power rangers trailer

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blankspace posted:

Rayman loses his TV spot for the evil fascist government after a long bit realizing he's been complicit in space racism or something, goes off the deep end into a coke binge and awakens by becoming a mass shooter wearing a trenchcoat.

Assassin's Creed isn't a specific cameo (because Ubisoft probably cares about that IP too much to let him do anything else) but is instead a cartoon frog with a French accent that gets tortured

Sam Fisher has a cyber wheelchair and his 6 year old daughter rats him out to the cops
A couple more:

Rainbow 6 are a Power Rangers team (geddit? Rainbows). Red's actively racist

Far Cry Blood Dragon the game the cop pursuing Laserhawk is the antagonist from that

Watchdogs 2 The resistance is led by Marcus, and his full crew deadsec crew is seen in his backstory

The Rabbids are giant monsters from dimension X

The crew Alex Taylor is Laserhawk's lover

The assassin sort of is a cameo, he's a caricature of Yves Balak, one of Bobbypills' bosses who worked on this series and also voices him

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah I see, this guy couldn't leave his house so he crawled up his own rear end instead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dabir posted:

Ah I see, this guy couldn't leave his house so he crawled up his own rear end instead

wow he's literally me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

homeless snail posted:

the monetization in fortnite festival (which is just rock band) is insane lmao. there's a handful of free songs you can play half of which are fortnite originals and a quarter are by the weeknd (you can buy his skin in the shop right now so presumably this is a promo), presumably these rotate idk. or if you want to play a specific song you can buy them for $5 a pop which is like, at least twice standard rhythm game dlc pricing. except, songs are subject to the same fomo store rotation as everything else in fortnite where you can only get what's on offer and you have no idea when they'll come around again. plus a $20 festival pass that has like eight songs (half of which again are fortnite originals) that who can say if they'll ever enter the shop pool, battle pass items generally don't so if you want gangnam style you better buy it now. also $10 guitar skins

at least when you buy a song you get the hitclips version so you can play a 5 second loop in battle royale or in the "jam space"

Wanted to give you so info I just found out too. One of the bigger name epic partner "leakers" is saying Epic is working on making the Jam Packs available as lobby music.

If they added the ability to shuffle or autostart a new song while in lobby then it turns Fortnite into iTunes or Spotify.

Which lmao if they did this too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also apparently it's not just Rock Band but also Dropmix/Fuser

https://twitter.com/Batonicman/status/1733706051382337631?t=5VU-Wwek6D5SOBegQyAxmA&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yeah it is fun to mess around with the parts of the songs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hell yes rise of the golden idol gonna be GOTY 2024 callin it now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is the one where Peter truly becomes the Golden Idol

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Diagonal Movement of the Golden Idol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hwurmp posted:

this is the one where Peter truly becomes the Golden Idol

it took me a while to get this lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a little bit but this part isn't nearly as fun as fuser

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Sa

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ga

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tunic captures the feeling of playing an imported Japanese game in the 90’s

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

I think the difference is he didn't write Castlevania, Warren Ellis did the first show I believe inspired by an old script he wrote that Shankar liked or something. Regardless of Ellis' personal drama, he has a style that pretty much carried that show, love it or hate it. The new show, Nocturne, was written by some guy who appears to have only really done crime dramas before which is probably a big part of why it was so flaccid & directionless. From what I can tell Shankar's personal style is more... what if GULLAH GULLAH ISLAND did DRUGS and then had to GO TO WAR, and it was an ANIME?

Thankfully we're getting much less (none) of Warren Ellis & much more of the "Mr. Rogers in Vietnam" guy going forward, and I think his dad is some sort of overseas finance lord so he just can make this stuff forever regardless of whether Netflix drops it or not. Can't wait for the gritty Hyper Light Drifter show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bananas in pajamas in afghanistan