Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jokes posted:

Why does this look like it's from a video game or something

Because my life is basically an AO-rated Forza Horizon.

It's because those pictures are from back when cellphone camera optics were poo poo so everything looks like it's smeared in vaseline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I blew out a tire from a pot hole on dirt road 30 miles out in the wilderness with no cell service because I was in an SUV with low profile tires. Yes, I should have seen it, but after a long day and ~3 hours of driving on dirt roads poo poo happens.

I think it's fair, depending on your needs, to want something with clearance, traction, decent tires, etc. Of course people like to over-value stuff like that when they don't need it, and we have no real detail here, but when you're saying "well if you have a spotter..." maybe we've gone too far in the other direction.

This is a thread to help people choose the right car for themselves, after all. Not everyone here is going to have AI-level knowledge or passion for driving on bumpy roads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The spotter also only came in talking about taking a moderately low profile entry level sports car up to a trailhead. If OPs wife is willing to spot a CR-V you can crawl even the run down fire and access roads... Eventually. Otherwise you can drive over most of the typical park road washouts and potholes with a CR-V with moderate care and be fine unlike that poor rental Challenger which was just lucky cosmetic trim is very bendy these days if you're careful not to drag it.

It's up to OP to read the last couple pages now, which confirm most of their presuppositions anyway, and decide if 4runner day to day is worth it for infinite trail access. I just hope we have done God's work and pointed them away from the Crosstrek.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

37 mud terrains are perfectly capable of getting you anywhere you need to go on pavement, but of course that similarly does not mean theyre the ideal choice for it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Thats literally what a crosstrek is.

Buy an Impreza and lift it is a possibly good suggestion in AI for car people. This is where normal people who dont know how cars work ask about what car they should buy. Those people should buy the factory lifted Impreza if they must buy a lifted Impreza (which typically they do not need to do at all - the regular one is fine)

The Impreza/cross trek are also unreliable and lovely to drive in addition to having cheap interiors and mediocre pacakaging so unless you live somewhere with like 6 foot of snow+ a year and limited services theyre a dumb recommendation and the triumph of marketing over product.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But how else am I going to tell the cute girl at the vegan coffee shop that I work at Google, shop at LL Bean and like to take my dog hiking on the weekends!? It's not like I can just go talk to her.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Buy an Impreza and lift it is a possibly good suggestion in AI for car people. This is where normal people who dont know how cars work ask about what car they should buy. Those people should buy the factory lifted Impreza if they must buy a lifted Impreza (which typically they do not need to do at all - the regular one is fine)

The Impreza/cross trek are also unreliable and lovely to drive in addition to having cheap interiors and mediocre pacakaging so unless you live somewhere with like 6 foot of snow+ a year and limited services theyre a dumb recommendation and the triumph of marketing over product.

hey now, having owned a variety of subarus in the past including those models, I'll defend them a bit. their reliability was fine and there's something to be said for all-wheel drive if you regularly have to be on the road for an hour in parts of the country that have lovely weather for good chunks of the year. assuming you don't wanna buy some big rear end truck, there aren't a LOT of affordable, good sedan/coupe/hatchback style AWD cars out there (or weren't, a decade or two ago)

I love AWD cars. would I consider non-subarus in the future? absolutely. had an AWD BMW at one point. I'm brand agnostic. but subarus aren't so terrible as to write them off as an option

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

zedprime posted:

I just hope we have done God's work and pointed them away from the Crosstrek.

Amen.

Another CRV with a chonky tire sounds like it would fit the bill here just fine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My mom used to have a crosstrek.

It stranded her on the road-side twice on two separate trips for two different issues, and a third time at a little hotel in the middle of nowhere when the Subaru dealership techs screwed up fixing the second issue and it drained her battery. It was also underpowered, uncomfortable, and relentlessly lovely to drive any further than the grocery store.

She has a RAV4 hybrid now and is very happy with it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
My mom has one, a 2018, I think, its terribly underpowered and the CVT does weirder and weirder poo poo every time I drive it, I have to check the oil regularly because it uses some between oil changes, and its only got 40K miles on it or so. All the typical late-model Subie bullshit.

The worst thing, though, is that if youre going down the freeway at, say, 55, and want to pull into the next lane thats going faster so you stomp hard on it, it just.thinks about poo poo for a second and half while doing absolutely nothing, THEN it winds up and puts out the 2.0s small amount of power. A second and a half doesnt sound like much, but its a LOT when you need throttle/transmission response. My 78-year old mother complains about it, and she spent 20 years driving 40hp air-cooled VWs.

I have no idea how Subaru has so many fanboys when their reliability is quite poor compared to their other Japanese competitors.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

JnnyThndrs posted:

I have no idea how Subaru has so many fanboys when their reliability is quite poor compared to their other Japanese competitors.

Just your classic triumph of marketing over reality.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Subaru used to make some pretty good cars. It takes time for people to revise their impressions. The bad news for Subaru is that it takes them even longer to revise then upward than it does to revise them downward.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Subaru used to make some pretty good cars. It takes time for people to revise their impressions. The bad news for Subaru is that it takes them even longer to revise then upward than it does to revise them downward.

Subaru has been making cars that require bmw levels of maintenance to replace coolant lines head gaskets for a very long time and it still hasnt caught up to them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pmchem posted:

hey now, having owned a variety of subarus in the past including those models, I'll defend them a bit. their reliability was fine and there's something to be said for all-wheel drive if you regularly have to be on the road for an hour in parts of the country that have lovely weather for good chunks of the year. assuming you don't wanna buy some big rear end truck, there aren't a LOT of affordable, good sedan/coupe/hatchback style AWD cars out there (or weren't, a decade or two ago)

I love AWD cars. would I consider non-subarus in the future? absolutely. had an AWD BMW at one point. I'm brand agnostic. but subarus aren't so terrible as to write them off as an option

My man, I come from a family that has always owned at least one Subaru. Im from rural northern New England and my mom had to go to work at the hospital. Theyre useful cars if you need the specific capabilities, but dealing with the bullshit is not worth it for your average suburbanite that might go skiing and hiking on the weekend. Buy the CRV or the RAV4 or the CX5/50 and revel in your superior product.

And you do not need old school Subaru center diff AWD to drive down a slightly snowy interstate that gets plowed every 90 minutes. It might make you feel better but it aint doin poo poo. Buy winter tires.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's a valid point, but how else am I going to project an image of a butch lesbian that's always ferrying multiple large dogs?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nitrox posted:

That's a valid point, but how else am I going to project an image of a butch lesbian that's always ferrying multiple large dogs?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I, too, have a boxy, flexible interior layout

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

So does a wombat.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
My Dad basically exclusively drove 80s Subaru GL Wagons from at least the 90s until maybe mid 2010s? Definitely some real pieces of poo poo in there, but also some that had 400k miles on the odometer before they were fully dead.

Now I want a manual, 4 wheel drive wagon :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

tumblr hype man posted:

My Dad basically exclusively drove 80s Subaru GL Wagons from at least the 90s until maybe mid 2010s? Definitely some real pieces of poo poo in there, but also some that had 400k miles on the odometer before they were fully dead.

Now I want a manual, 4 wheel drive wagon :(

GSW was made until a year or two ago, they are definitely out there. Or if you want lower/less cladding, can I introduce you to my best friend the E91 BMW?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

JnnyThndrs posted:

My mom has one, a 2018, I think, its terribly underpowered and the CVT does weirder and weirder poo poo every time I drive it, I have to check the oil regularly because it uses some between oil changes, and its only got 40K miles on it or so. All the typical late-model Subie bullshit.

The worst thing, though, is that if youre going down the freeway at, say, 55, and want to pull into the next lane thats going faster so you stomp hard on it, it just.thinks about poo poo for a second and half while doing absolutely nothing, THEN it winds up and puts out the 2.0s small amount of power. A second and a half doesnt sound like much, but its a LOT when you need throttle/transmission response. My 78-year old mother complains about it, and she spent 20 years driving 40hp air-cooled VWs.

How many times has the CVT fluid been flushed/drained/replaced? Thats right within the model year time band that it seems like cvt issues were really bad

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of CVTs and Subarus, my friend's mom has a 2008 Legacy wagon. Does it have a CVT or regular trans?

Just curious. Also, her car hasn't bee that bad on the reliability front, but maybe she got lucky.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Natty Ninefingers posted:

How many times has the CVT fluid been flushed/drained/replaced? Thats right within the model year time band that it seems like cvt issues were really bad

It was done a couple years ago, at about 30K miles, I know it was done at the dealer.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I'm looking for a car with clearance enough for fire roads and that has a trunk. No rock-crawling mudding fantasies, just dirt and gravel National Forest roads and commuting.

(It needs a lockable, no-windows trunk because do not want the stuff in the trunk getting bipped.)

All-Roads, Cross-Countries, etc, seem to be limited to wagon shapes.

Who makes a sedan or coupe with some clearance or forest road capability?

All I can come up with is the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline with their under-bed trunks.

All price-points are welcome. Used is good, too.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Obvious you need something like this: https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a1814501/road-porsche-964-we-want/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Greg12 posted:

I'm looking for a car with clearance enough for fire roads and that has a trunk. No rock-crawling mudding fantasies, just dirt and gravel National Forest roads and commuting.

(It needs a lockable, no-windows trunk because do not want the stuff in the trunk getting bipped.)

All-Roads, Cross-Countries, etc, seem to be limited to wagon shapes.

Who makes a sedan or coupe with some clearance or forest road capability?

All I can come up with is the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline with their under-bed trunks.

All price-points are welcome. Used is good, too.

CYBRTRUK

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Prius Corolla with a lift kit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How do you feel about a frunk?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Car thieves break the back window and then immediately fall down the rear seats to access the trunk. You're correct that lack of visibility will lower the chances of a break in, and most SUVs and hatchbacks have a cover for the rear cargo area for this exact reason. Trunks have no advantage in that regard, so it's probably best not to limit yourself to it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Depends what you're trying to secure, but my friend had this (or something just like it) for his fly fishing gear in his Tacoma:
https://decked.com/pages/drawers-compare

It's the opposite of a sedan, but might be a solution if your focus is on security. Tonneau covers never seemed safe enough to me, but maybe they're sturdier than I realize and would also be a solution.

Coincidentally (or not), when that friend was my roommate, his SUV's back window got smashed. We couldn't figure it out until the neighbor's SUV, that looked identical, was smashed a few days later and a bunch of pharmaceutical sales stuff stolen. The thieves had seen her vehicle first, returned later and didn't realize the difference when they went after his.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 12, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

can I do this to a 2008 accord

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Nitrox posted:

Car thieves break the back window and then immediately fall down the rear seats to access the trunk. You're correct that lack of visibility will lower the chances of a break in, and most SUVs and hatchbacks have a cover for the rear cargo area for this exact reason. Trunks have no advantage in that regard, so it's probably best not to limit yourself to it.
As a car owner of a car without rear fold down seats you could also just not buy a car that has them. It doesn't invalidate all cars.

So enjoy your lifted crown vic OP!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

Car thieves break the back window and then immediately fall down the rear seats to access the trunk.

Are people prying the back seats down on smash-and-grabs? gently caress.

I've only even seen cars that make it so you already have to have access to the trunk to drop the back seats.

Maybe I should just get the drat crossover.

Cage posted:

As a car owner of a car without rear fold down seats you could also just not buy a car that has them. It doesn't invalidate all cars.

So enjoy your lifted crown vic OP!

I loved my Grand Marquis so drat much.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 12, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Miata is clearly the answer, as Applesnots did:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just like any security measures, it's about creating extra steps for thieves to overcome.

There's also a risk mitigation factor that you can control. Such as not leaving valuables in plain sight, not leaving anything desirable in the vehicle at all, parking in a public or surveyed area etc.

If you have valuable equipment that must stay inside the vehicle, then your objective is to keep it locked down in a way that's independent from the vehicle, like a separate lockable cargo area, lockable and fully compartmentalized tool boxes or shelving units. Tradesmen who routinely roll around with tens of thousands worth of tools have figured this out long ago. See the truck boxes linked above. A thief would have to break three separate locks in order to get to those tools, which significantly lowers the risk factor.

I had my window glass broken just so they could grab change from the center console. But not tens of thousands worth of properly locked equipment.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Greg12 posted:

I've only even seen cars that make it so you already have to have access to the trunk to drop the back seats.

What cars are those?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
When someone broke into my car recently they smashed the passenger side rear window, the little one, not the one that rolls down. I wonder what the rationale was for that? I dont keep anything in the car so nothing was stolen, I just cant figure out why they targeted that window specifically.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think people breaking into cars by smashing windows aren't known as big thinkers

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nitrox posted:

What cars are those?

2009 Corolla for one,

Source: I own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Nitrox posted:

What cars are those?

kia optima

honda accord

source: own(ed) them

I'm not looking for a rolling safe. I'm just looking for a car with a trunk that goes on fire roads. Now that I'm aware of cars that allow the back seats to be folded down from the inside, the car should not have that.

Please post more lifted roadsters, too. I love them.

Please also tell me if it's possible to lift a fwd Accord.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 13, 2023