Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’ve played act 1 a million times and I’ve never seen the harpies attack Mirkon until he gets to the harpy luring him, but I just saw him get attacked by a harpy that had already made an attack. Are all the harpies just coded to get free attacks on him if he enters melee range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trying to do something a little different with Shadowheart this time around. Would it be dumb to have her go 6 War Cleric / 6 Open Hand Monk and just dive into melee with Spirit Guardians, feeding Crusader's Mantle to Lae'zel? Sounds like that could be pretty fun.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

exquisite tea posted:

Trying to do something a little different with Shadowheart this time around. Would it be dumb to have her go 6 War Cleric / 6 Open Hand Monk and just dive into melee with Spirit Guardians, feeding Crusader's Mantle to Lae'zel? Sounds like that could be pretty fun.

It wouldn’t work cause you can’t have 2 Concentration effects up at once. Using Crusader’s mantle would cancel Spirit guardians and vice versa. Besides which, monk and cleric don’t synergise because Cleric abilities revolve around using actions to cast spells or do a weapon attack, and Monk is all about punching things, neither class has anything to make the other better at doing it’s thing - you’re just left with a character that can do one or the other, but not particularly well; which is never what you want in D&D.

Multiclassing is only good if you’re layering complimentary abilities. For example Monk/Thief works because the thief levels give the monk another bonus action with which to punch.

Cleric 7/Paladin 5 works because the Paladin Levels give the Cleric the ability to use better weapons and expend spell slots to smite when they attack with them, while also letting you use Healing word and mass healing word with your bonus actions, and having spirit guardians or Crusader’s mantle up as you wade into melee.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Black Noise posted:

• Party Limit Begone: Increase your party size for more interactions. In multiplayer each player character is treated as a separate party so take this into consideration for things like approval.
  • Sit This One Out: Makes your extra party members vanish so you don't steamroll the game. Certain story situations will require a party member to not be sitting out.
  • Dynamic Sidebar: So you don't have to scroll through portraits of all your party members.

Everyones favorite Act 3 Cheat No visual effects for act 3 story event.

Party Limit Begone completely slipped my mind but yeah, putting these on the list.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have a question (late Act 3 spoilers):

I've got two Netherstones and only Gortash remains to be dealt with. My quest log is getting light, I've resolved most things like Cazador, House of Grief, and House of Hope already.

I haven't been to the Steel Watch foundry (but was asked to blow it up by Wulbren and company), that seems to be my only big thing to do besides letting Voss know that I've got the hammer, but I also found a submarine that had been bonking those religious swimmers. When I hopped in the submarine, Gortash told me he's going to blow up the Iron Throne if I don't turn around. I know who is in the Throne (I ignored Gortash because I wanted to see what was there). Should I have done the Foundry before doing this, or will I still be able to do the Foundry after dealing with the Iron Throne?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Berzerker posted:

I have a question (late Act 3 spoilers):

I've got two Netherstones and only Gortash remains to be dealt with. My quest log is getting light, I've resolved most things like Cazador, House of Grief, and House of Hope already.

I haven't been to the Steel Watch foundry (but was asked to blow it up by Wulbren and company), that seems to be my only big thing to do besides letting Voss know that I've got the hammer, but I also found a submarine that had been bonking those religious swimmers. When I hopped in the submarine, Gortash told me he's going to blow up the Iron Throne if I don't turn around. I know who is in the Throne (I ignored Gortash because I wanted to see what was there). Should I have done the Foundry before doing this, or will I still be able to do the Foundry after dealing with the Iron Throne?

You should be able to, since the Foundry points you to the Iron Throne anyway but it could get finnicky because of how all those things link together. Keep the save from before you go to the Throne handy just in case.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

War Cleric is super bad to combo with Monk specifically, go Storm if you want that offensive oomph, the counter attack reaction is nice.

War Cleric's thing is to burn limited charges for bonus action attacks, monks can do this by just existing all day long.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Black Noise posted:

• Party Limit Begone: Increase your party size for more interactions. In multiplayer each player character is treated as a separate party so take this into consideration for things like approval.
  • Sit This One Out: Makes your extra party members vanish so you don't steamroll the game. Certain story situations will require a party member to not be sitting out.
  • Dynamic Sidebar: So you don't have to scroll through portraits of all your party members.

Everyones favorite Act 3 Cheat No visual effects for act 3 story event.

That last one is for cowards, you want power but don't want to pay the price?

:pathetic:

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Forgive me for the boring tech support question. I picked this up yesterday with high hopes of couch co-op (splitscreen) multiplayer, but am having all sorts of controller issues. We're on a Mac M2 and are using two Switch Pro Controllers.

On first try I had Steam Input disabled, and after some faffing about we were able to play together right up until we needed to access our inventory for the first time - and then realised that the character sheet wasn't mapped to any button.

I then tried enabling Steam Input and selecting among the community mappings available for the Switch Pro Controller. Some of these work better than others (I've tried a bunch), but in each case, only player 1's controller is recognised by the game. Steam recognises both, and the steam menu button works on both, but otherwise the second controller's inputs just don't seem to arrive in-game.

Annoyingly, now if I disable steam input again, the problem persists. We're effectively locked out of playing :smith:

Any hints on fixing this would be massively appreciated. Otherwise recommendations for less broken controllers? (Ideally inexpensive ones - this game hurt my wallet significantly already...)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Black Noise posted:

Have many folks here actually done a playthrough with this mod installed? It honestly sounds super appealing to me (as a player only truly concerned with hearing all the companion quips) but every time I venture into the comments for this thing it's mostly people complaining about how such-and-such story event didn't fire properly, which doesn't come off as having a great time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

That last one is for cowards, you want power but don't want to pay the price?

:pathetic:

On the durge run I slurped down most of those bad boys and accepted the consequences.
It just made the vibe of egirl and weird Podcaster bf in act 3 more perfect.

Cross-Section posted:

Have many folks here actually done a playthrough with this mod installed? It honestly sounds super appealing to me (as a player only truly concerned with hearing all the companion quips) but every time I venture into the comments for this thing it's mostly people complaining about how such-and-such story event didn't fire properly, which doesn't come off as having a great time.

I have and basically there are a couple of specific segments you need to watch out for. That said it genuinely did improve characterization for the entire party because you get to see all the chatter and many of the unique events that you might miss if you are not constantly swapping. Highly recommend imo if you are willing to pair it with "sit this one out" or jack up the difficulty. Just be prepared to go back down with 4 and don't use it on a honor mode run.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 10, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Black Noise posted:

That was patched because it made no sense that you can shove someone that turns into mist into a chasm.

Ah lame! Though Karlach basically has a 90% base chance at shoving people no matter who they are so that would make the fight too easy.

I must be missing something, but when I respected Shadowheart to Light from Trickster, she started off at with zero powers from the first, and I leveled her back to 12, she still had no powers from the trickster. Is that just because they're both clerics and anything that would of been gained by multiclassing is lost or am I just wrong on how it works?

Like if i leveled someone to 12 as a rogue and then made them a warrior, would they keep backstab or the lockpicking/trap disarming skills? I thought it was you had to get to the same level of the original class before you unlocked its abilities again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kalas posted:

War Cleric is super bad to combo with Monk specifically, go Storm if you want that offensive oomph, the counter attack reaction is nice.

War Cleric's thing is to burn limited charges for bonus action attacks, monks can do this by just existing all day long.

Thanks, I didn't realize that basically of the War Domain buffs required Concentration. Tempest seems cool but my vision for Shadowheart on this run is kind of as a holy warrior/caster support hybrid who uses her bonus action to knock enemies prone, so I think I might do Light Domain instead. A Light Domain / Shadow Monk hybrid for old Shadowheart would be deliciously thematic but unfortunately it looks like shadow monks just kinda suck in general.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Finnish Flasher posted:

Sooo I heard there's a way to get Minthara into your group by knocking her unconscious in Act 1. Can someone confirm? Doing a good guy half-drow and it would make sense to recruit her later and redeem her.

I’m in Act 3 with her right now.

You have to be sure she isn’t permanently aggressive and use non-lethal damage. So you can’t have killed Ragzlin and you can’t have turned her hostile based on dialogue choices. In this run, she saw me trying to kill the stupid scrying eye and turned temporarily hostile. That worked out perfectly.

Minthara is worth the effort just for her reactions to everything Dribbles the Clown related. Be sure she collects all the items for that quest, if you can.

The Lord Bude posted:

Just curious, does Minthara have banter dialogue with companions she would normally be mutually exclusive with?

I am not sure, honestly. My “main” team on this run now that she’s along is my Beastmaster Ranger Tav, Shadowheart, Minthara, and Astarion (who I’m romancing this time). My memory is that most of her banter is at Tav. She’s kinda Tav obsessed.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 10, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

twistedmentat posted:

Like if i leveled someone to 12 as a rogue and then made them a warrior, would they keep backstab or the lockpicking/trap disarming skills? I thought it was you had to get to the same level of the original class before you unlocked its abilities again.

Multiclassing just means you take some levels in one class and some levels in another. Like, instead of being a level 8 rogue, you’re a level 4 rogue / level 4 warrior. There’s a button to change which class you’re leveling when you level up, it can be easy to overlook.

Respeccing has nothing to do with multiclassing, it just resets you so you can do your level ups differently. The stuff you had before the respec is gone and has no effect.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

On the durge run I slurped down most of those bad boys and accepted the consequences.
It just made the vibe of egirl and weird Podcaster bf in act 3 more perfect.

I have and basically there are a couple of specific segments you need to watch out for. That said it genuinely did improve characterization for the entire party because you get to see all the chatter and many of the unique events that you might miss if you are not constantly swapping. Highly recommend imo if you are willing to pair it with "sit this one out" or jack up the difficulty. Just be prepared to go back down with 4 and don't use it on a honor mode run.

Sounds good. I imagine hitting these segments with the expanded party won't so badly break the game that I won't be able to just dismiss folks without having to load a previous save?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1733861726414921732

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snake Maze posted:

Multiclassing just means you take some levels in one class and some levels in another. Like, instead of being a level 8 rogue, you’re a level 4 rogue / level 4 warrior. There’s a button to change which class you’re leveling when you level up, it can be easy to overlook.

Respeccing has nothing to do with multiclassing, it just resets you so you can do your level ups differently. The stuff you had before the respec is gone and has no effect.

Ah they're completely different things. Got it.

I did find level cap being 12 kind of funny because by the time I was in chapter 3 i was already level 10.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Ah they're completely different things. Got it.

I did find level cap being 12 kind of funny because by the time I was in chapter 3 i was already level 10.

Think of it as giving you more time to enjoy you level 12 power.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's pretty normal to hit Level 12 around the time you actually get to the titular Baldur's Gate, though that can vary depending on how many questgiving NPCs are dead by that point. That's about the same time the game starts throwing incredibly OP endgame loot at you so there's still some fun character progression to be had.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Sounds good. I imagine hitting these segments with the expanded party won't so badly break the game that I won't be able to just dismiss folks without having to load a previous save?

No you will straight need to dismiss the party down to 4 at certain points or it will break.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone been crashing to desktop since the latest update? I've had to re-validate 3 times now in the past 48 hours and it's getting old.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve played act 1 a million times and I’ve never seen the harpies attack Mirkon until he gets to the harpy luring him, but I just saw him get attacked by a harpy that had already made an attack. Are all the harpies just coded to get free attacks on him if he enters melee range?

Might have been an opportunity attack if he left a harpy’s melee range?

If you want to cheese the Harpy fight, just have Shart pre-cast Silence over where the singing harpy shows up before you talk to Mirkon to trigger the fight.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Doing an honor run and everyone in the party except karlach got downed in the Gith training room (accidentally aggro'd the instructor with friends wearing off) because Lae'zel got hit with crown of madness as an open palm monk while wearing that luminous armor and having lathander's blessing active, it was brutal being on the receiving end of my bullshit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

All enemies can do opportunity attacks to targets moving within melee range, as long as they have a Reaction available

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AstraZenmaster posted:

Forgive me for the boring tech support question. I picked this up yesterday with high hopes of couch co-op (splitscreen) multiplayer, but am having all sorts of controller issues. We're on a Mac M2 and are using two Switch Pro Controllers.

On first try I had Steam Input disabled, and after some faffing about we were able to play together right up until we needed to access our inventory for the first time - and then realised that the character sheet wasn't mapped to any button.

I then tried enabling Steam Input and selecting among the community mappings available for the Switch Pro Controller. Some of these work better than others (I've tried a bunch), but in each case, only player 1's controller is recognised by the game. Steam recognises both, and the steam menu button works on both, but otherwise the second controller's inputs just don't seem to arrive in-game.

Annoyingly, now if I disable steam input again, the problem persists. We're effectively locked out of playing :smith:

Any hints on fixing this would be massively appreciated. Otherwise recommendations for less broken controllers? (Ideally inexpensive ones - this game hurt my wallet significantly already...)

Can’t help you with Controllers, but I wanted to warn you - the Mac version of the game is currently broken, you basically won’t be able to play once you hit Act 3. Larian broke the game for everyone with patch 4, but they are being unusually tardy in pushing patch 5 out to Mac users - we are now 1 major patch and 2 hotfixes behind. Everyone else got the patch on december 1 iirc.

they’ve been extremely poo poo with communication too, it took them 4 days to even acknowledge that the patch wasn’t available to Mac users yet, made a vague statement that it was ‘undergoing further testing and would be out shortly’ and haven’t said a word to anyone since.

you should consider refunding the game if you can, at least until they finally get around to issuing an update.

the delay between patching the Mac version and WIndows/Console also breaks cross platform multiplayer and saves every time it happens, although this is the first time since launch that there has been such a large gap.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 10, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Has anyone been crashing to desktop since the latest update? I've had to re-validate 3 times now in the past 48 hours and it's getting old.

no issues, the patch actually stopped my quickload crashes

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cross-Section posted:

I was doing it in multiplayer so we could do some companion quests and at one point we had to go back to a previous save because Lae'zel kept on freaking out over missing events that she had actually spoken in. HOWEVER, that was really early on and you can avoid companions missing interactions by having them initiate them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

It's pretty normal to hit Level 12 around the time you actually get to the titular Baldur's Gate, though that can vary depending on how many questgiving NPCs are dead by that point. That's about the same time the game starts throwing incredibly OP endgame loot at you so there's still some fun character progression to be had.

Yeah Baldur's Gate 3 does the thing every rpg should do, give you time to enjoy playing with your most powerful tools. So many games give you all your best poo poo right before the end and not a second more, and unless they have a new game plus you never really get a chance to enjoy playing around with your 100% tricked out guys. I thought Act 3 was awesome, I respecced so many times just to play around with different multi-class combos and try different builds based on new magical items I'd found.

If the game was balanced so you hit max level at the high hall it would be a big fumble imo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat the game modless and am still trudging along on my tactician run on PS5 so I have my game modded all out on pc. Got all the class and race unleashed mods, no veins, feat every level, no party limit. It rules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah Baldur's Gate 3 does the thing every rpg should do, give you time to enjoy playing with your most powerful tools. So many games give you all your best poo poo right before the end and not a second more, and unless they have a new game plus you never really get a chance to enjoy playing around with your 100% tricked out guys. I thought Act 3 was awesome, I respecced so many times just to play around with different multi-class combos and try different builds based on new magical items I'd found.

If the game was balanced so you hit max level at the high hall it would be a big fumble imo

One thing I would like to see is an NG+ mode where all the gear is normalized to Level 12. Some of the poo poo you find at the very beginning is fun as heck and it would be great if you could just stay in your Lightning set all game if you wanted (you still can but you know what I mean!!!).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In my game I had killed all of them except one and it was playing the song and Mirkon wandered near it and it just slashed him to pieces.

On honour mode so rip little guy. The 15 gold he had on his corpse was probably more useful than the password to the kid hideout lol

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

The Lord Bude posted:

Can’t help you with Controllers, but I wanted to warn you - the Mac version of the game is currently broken, you basically won’t be able to play once you hit Act 3. Larian broke the game for everyone with patch 4, but they are being unusually tardy in pushing patch 5 out to Mac users - we are now 1 major patch and 2 hotfixes behind. Everyone else got the patch on december 1 iirc.

they’ve been extremely poo poo with communication too, it took them 4 days to even acknowledge that the patch wasn’t available to Mac users yet, made a vague statement that it was ‘undergoing further testing and would be out shortly’ and haven’t said a word to anyone since.

you should consider refunding the game if you can, at least until they finally get around to issuing an update.

the delay between patching the Mac version and WIndows/Console also breaks cross platform multiplayer and saves every time it happens, although this is the first time since launch that there has been such a large gap.

That's very disappointing, but thanks very much for the heads-up. I've logged just over 2 hrs of playtime on the game, but about half of that was spent messing about with controllers, so I'm hoping they'll grant the refund request. I'll keep a close eye and am hoping to repurchase the game in future if they get their Mac-act together. Maybe if it takes long enough I'll be able to get it on sale :sadpeanut:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

One thing I would like to see is an NG+ mode where all the gear is normalized to Level 12. Some of the poo poo you find at the very beginning is fun as heck and it would be great if you could just stay in your Lightning set all game if you wanted (you still can but you know what I mean!!!).

Oh yeah for sure, 100% would be down for that. On that note I did keep Shadowheart in that medium radiant armor well into act 3, at least until radiant damage became a liability in some circumstances. :angel:

My first time at house of hope my add phase was messy and I struggled with CC. Things were going poorly enough that I was like "well I'm close enough to the end of the game, time to bust out Shadowheart's divine intervention" (No I didn't even notice that Hope had it at first, shut up I'm bad at games). So I used the radiant tactical nuke to predictable effects. Shadowheart exploded but she did take down quite a few adds in the process. Then I lost two more party members and noticed Hope also had divine intervention and used it for the full party res and salvaged the attempt. A+ encounter

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

unattended spaghetti posted:

drat. Girlfriend and I did the defend the portal fight and it was incredible. Girlfriend threw down a firewall, Karlach was throwing the long neglected grease bottles into that to create explosions, then I remembered we had smoke powder bombs, Shadowheart was spirit guardian exploding stuff, and I didn't have anyone to smite so I was just picking off stragglers. Oh, and girlfriend was tossing fireballs too. Just an incredible fight that finally really let us flex and stunt on masses of dudes. Now we are at Moonrise and for fucks sakes this game is so big. I'm legit overwhelmed because this is like the goblin camp times a billion. We are just trying to figure out how to best tackle it.

Act 2 gets more and more epic, you're about a third of the way up the curve.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Warbird posted:

Early Act 2 Karlach Question:

I missed the mechanic in act 1 and just did K’s first upgrade at Last Light and have what I need for another. However, that doesn’t appear to be happening for whatever reason. My understanding is that Wyll’s long rest event can potentially break things but a fix was in the works a few months back. Does anyone know if this is still an issue or am I doing something wrong to prevent the option from being available?

Following up on this, it looks like all I needed to do was chat up K in camp and that sorted that out. Yay.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

chug all the dubious potions in Ethel's lair immediately

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah nuts, the thing that hides passive perception checks seems to literally mean perception checks. I just went by a chest and got a bunch of "failed nature save" popups. I was hoping to get rid of all of that.

e: Oh christ it still makes the sounds for rolling even with passive perception fails turned off.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 10, 2023

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.

It's absolutely an incredible mod and I would highly recommend it to everyone on a first playthrough.