Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds boring.

More murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Home alone with horses

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Home alone with horses

Thought of micromachines and died.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Brawnfire posted:

Home alone with horses

Kevin Home Alone With Horses is my favorite Belle & Sebastian song.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, the first couple are pretty bad, and Jeff doesn't really lose that womanizer aspect entirely but it's at its worst in the first handful of episodes.

Jeff remains a womanizer. But crucially he never becomes Barney Stinson and it's acknowledged that it is not healthy behavior.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Kevin and the Home (Alone) of Horses

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My takeaway from Home Alone as a kid was, the scary old man with a snow shovel might actually just be a gruff old man who doesn't communicate well but is secretly cool, so be nice to your neighbors :unsmith:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Desert Bus posted:

Home Alone except the two burglars open a door and a moth flies out and Goodbye Horses starts playing…

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They already made a version of Home Alone where he kills the thieves. It's called Die Hard.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nameless Pete posted:

They already made a version of Home Alone where he kills the thieves. It's called Die Hard.

https://youtu.be/yh7-wAy_8ss?si=6S17-4R7YOJYwTxx
Macaulay Culkin was also in this video awhile back where he's basically playing the adult version of Kevin.

Which also had this followup by Daniel Stern
https://youtu.be/hSmGxRGut6w?si=vnVl8v5Krf65kiyD

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ambitious Spider posted:

Home alone is straw dogs for kids

Just wanted to point out that this was literally the intention of the filmmakers. Like they explicitly reference straw dogs as inspiration. Not sure if thats what you were referring to in your post but wanted to make sure everyone knows that Home Alone is very literally a christmas-themed Straw Dogs for kids.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Actually did a Die Hard + Home Alone + Home Alone 2: Lost In New York triple feature a couple weeks ago. Pretty great movie combo, especially in that order.

Home Alone 2 is some next level ridiculousness though. It’s beat-for-beat the same plot as the first movie, just in a new setting and everything is bigger and grander. It’s like a 80+ minutes into the movie where Kevin decides he’s gonna stop the Wet Sticky Bandits, and there is 30 straight minutes of him maiming and torturing those two in ways that would have killed them several times over. He straight up lures them to a Saw-esque torture chamber where at one point they both fall four stories onto solid concrete. It’s just straight up Looney Tunes poo poo but with real human beings.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fish of hemp posted:

I watched Wild Wild West a couple of years back and all the time I kept thinking "what is the audience of this film?“

It has plenty of PG-13 violence and sex so I wouldn't show it to actual children although they would propably enjoy most of the steampunk spider.

And because the action and sex is PG-13, it doesn't draw in older action movie crowd. Add to this the bizarre jokes about Will Smith in a drag and the slur competiton with the disabled villain and it's really hard to understand why'd the think this would sell.

Wasn't the guy behind this basically jumping from script to script desperately trying to find a movie that would let him include a giant robotic spider? Like every movie he worked on he went "what about a giant robot spider" and it was that one that finally said yes

e: https://thepopcultist.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/how-producer-jon-peters-and-a-giant-spider-nearly-ruined-superman/

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've always thought it was weird Kevin Smith baulked so hard at the giant spider. Like. It's a loving Superman movie. A giant spider sounds fine for that.

Hell Lex Luthor has hot to have set a giant spider or spider robot on Clark at some point in the comics right?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Wasn't the guy behind this basically jumping from script to script desperately trying to find a movie that would let him include a giant robotic spider? Like every movie he worked on he went "what about a giant robot spider" and it was that one that finally said yes

e: https://thepopcultist.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/how-producer-jon-peters-and-a-giant-spider-nearly-ruined-superman/

Yeah, Neil Gaiman told a story of how he pitched that for a Sandman movie. Along with some other rather dramatic changes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've always thought it was weird Kevin Smith baulked so hard at the giant spider. Like. It's a loving Superman movie. A giant spider sounds fine for that.

Hell Lex Luthor has hot to have set a giant spider or spider robot on Clark at some point in the comics right?

He should've pushed for a giant spider lady because then the producers could expect tons of fans to never shut up about her for a solid year or two after release. Then again WWW came out decades before the internet went into full swing so I guess they couldn't know to expect that at the time

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That idea just reminded me of how Resident Evil 8 went relatively unspoiled for a while because everyone got weird about Lady Dimitrescu, so no one talked about later arcs, so I was able to go into the game knowing nothing about anything after her. It was like she took a bullet for the other characters.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Home Alone is just the Kidz Bop cover of Die Hard

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I really want a gritty Michael Mann style heist movie where in a post credits scene the main character is recruited by an aging Joe Pesci into the Wet Bandits Initiative.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The next Home Alone should take the Ghostbusters: Afterlife approach and have it be a movie that treats the original Home Alone with the reverence it deserves.

First off: no jokes.

Second: it has to be shot like a big budget Super Bowl commercial.

Third: we're bringing back John Candy and John Heard via the magic of CGI and an audio library of their prior performances.

Fourth: One of the Stranger Things kids is the one who's Home Alone now and get this: he missed that his family was leaving the house because he was too busy sharing memes on Fortnight. Can you believe the kids these days?

Fifth: it's actually about trauma. It's very serious to be left Home Alone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It didn't even get made, but the version of "Mahershala Ali as Blade" script someone wrote where Blade was a supporting character in a story about women learning life lessons is a concept that will haunt me until death.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Flying Zamboni posted:

The next Home Alone should take the Ghostbusters: Afterlife approach and have it be a movie that treats the original Home Alone with the reverence it deserves.

First off: no jokes.

Second: it has to be shot like a big budget Super Bowl commercial.

Third: we're bringing back John Candy and John Heard via the magic of CGI and an audio library of their prior performances.

Fourth: One of the Stranger Things kids is the one who's Home Alone now and get this: he missed that his family was leaving the house because he was too busy sharing memes on Fortnight. Can you believe the kids these days?

Fifth: it's actually about trauma. It's very serious to be left Home Alone.

What are the details of the scene that dramatically introduces the adult Kevin to help in the final act?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I AM GRANDO posted:

What are the details of the scene that dramatically introduces the adult Kevin to help in the final act?

Complete shot for shot remake of the scene at the end of the first movie where the snow shoveling neighbor saves the day but this time adult Kevin is holding the shovel and it's in slow motion with a big music swell intercut with a flashback of the old man neighbor teaching young Kevin how to shovel snow.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

well why not posted:

It didn't even get made, but the version of "Mahershala Ali as Blade" script someone wrote where Blade was a supporting character in a story about women learning life lessons is a concept that will haunt me until death.

That sounds like an awesome idea except for when you learn that it's going to be a MCU movie.

I rewatched the first two Blades maybe a month ago and they're still sick as poo poo. It's a tall order trying to outdo that at the best of times, let alone when the foundations of Marvel-dom are finally starting to crumble.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well, it's not that the spider is wrong but I think it was more that Jon Peters was that loving crazy. Like I'm sure there's all kinds of bugfuck insane people, but actually handling them is a real skill that I'm not surprised a working class dude from Jersey was a bit stunlocked by.

well why not posted:

They've still got several aces in the hole if they can get off the old X-Men movies' dick, but yeah the Marvel quality control machine has been way off the loving rails to the point where you don't really know what you're going to get, and I say that as someone who thought "The Marvels" was perfectly good.

Rochallor posted:

I rewatched the first two Blades maybe a month ago and they're still sick as poo poo. It's a tall order trying to outdo that at the best of times, let alone when the foundations of Marvel-dom are finally starting to crumble.
Blade 1 still rips but I don't know Blade 2 is kind-of junky. I know we're supposed to love it because it's Del Toro making his first steps in Hollywood and Ron Perlman is always value, but the "super vampires" were always dumb, their design really doesn't feel like a vampire, and it sits right in that awkward era of special effects where CGI and wire-fu were in a relatively juvenile place.

Saw "The Boy and the Heron" tonight and while mediocre Miyazaki is still better than almost everyone else's best, the hype was way overblown and it's going to sit in on only the higher middle end of most people's tier list for Ghibli as it ages. Calling it now.

Still cool though. It feels a lot like "The Neverending Story" but the book, not the movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Depending on how you define it Sam Jackson is one of the (or is the single) highest combined box office actor of all time.

I had to google this because surely not, and...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_actors

If you include cameos it's actually Stan Lee, which yeah, that makes sense. :v:

Genuinely wasn't expecting ScarJo to be the highest paid lead actor of all time though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MokBa posted:

It’s just straight up Looney Tunes poo poo but with real human beings.

Cartoon violence in my children's movie? :wotwot:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Vandar posted:

Genuinely wasn't expecting ScarJo to be the highest paid lead actor of all time though.

I don't think its got anything to do with how much they are paid, its just adding up the gross of any film they have been in, which puts all the MCU actors at the top since there have been so many.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
For Peters, it wasn't the spider that was so insane.

Peters had 3 main requests for his Superman movie, 1. He can't wear that "faggy" cape 2. He can't fly because flight looks like horseshit 3. He has to fight a Giant Spider in the 3rd act.

I feel like the first 2 should disqualify him but I get the focus on the 3rd because at least Superman could do that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TGG posted:

1. He can't wear that "faggy" cape

How dare they! That's his baby blankey! His mommy and daddy tucked him in all snuggly wuggly for his long trip to space!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"Superman can't wear his cape in the movie."

Monkeys paw curls a finger

"Ok, then you have to use Superman Red and Blue."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

I watched Wild Wild West a couple of years back and all the time I kept thinking "what is the audience of this film?“

It has plenty of PG-13 violence and sex so I wouldn't show it to actual children although they would propably enjoy most of the steampunk spider.

And because the action and sex is PG-13, it doesn't draw in older action movie crowd. Add to this the bizarre jokes about Will Smith in a drag and the slur competiton with the disabled villain and it's really hard to understand why'd the think this would sell.

I've been watching the original show and I get where the movie was coming from. The original show is a ton of fun. Each episode is a Western James Bond movie with the lead characters having a very Kirk and McCoy dynamic. I'm still in the first season, but each antagonist is basically a Bond villain. So far the only one who hasn't been killed off is Loveless, the villain from the film. I can see why they used him in the movie, Loveless is far far better in the show. He even has a pre-Jaws Richard Kiel, as his goon. I think the show is due for a reboot, but I'm sure the movie's reputation has probably tainted any pitch meetings.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TGG posted:

For Peters, it wasn't the spider that was so insane.

Peters had 3 main requests for his Superman movie, 1. He can't wear that "faggy" cape 2. He can't fly because flight looks like horseshit 3. He has to fight a Giant Spider in the 3rd act.

I feel like the first 2 should disqualify him but I get the focus on the 3rd because at least Superman could do that.

Don't forget how he also considered Sean Penn for the role of Superman because "he has the eyes of a loving killer". For SUPERMAN.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

How dare they! That's his baby blankey! His mommy and daddy tucked him in all snuggly wuggly for his long trip to space!

I always liked the bronze-era (?) version of this where he made his blue business suit out of the blanket left in his ship, which is why it’s friction-proof and never gets torn when he has to speed away or change in a hurry.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget how he also considered Sean Penn for the role of Superman because "he has the eyes of a loving killer". For SUPERMAN.

He's from the STREETS!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As much as Superman has problems nowadays because people have weirdly over-specific ideas of what Superman is supposed to be, mostly mentally reverting to five years old and wanting to see their daddy come in and smile and fix everything, I get the feeling the problem on the production end is more the opposite end where idiot suits think superheroes and other properties are all interchangeable and do not know or care to learn the first thing about them, and then can't possibly understand why their 'ideas' are stupid and would be catastrophic changing important things for no reason.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As much as Superman has problems nowadays because people have weirdly over-specific ideas of what Superman is supposed to be, mostly mentally reverting to five years old and wanting to see their daddy come in and smile and fix everything, I get the feeling the problem on the production end is more the opposite end where idiot suits think superheroes and other properties are all interchangeable and do not know or care to learn the first thing about them, and then can't possibly understand why their 'ideas' are stupid and would be catastrophic changing important things for no reason.

It's both simpler and more complex than that:

Superman is largely a working class hero and Paul Bunyan figure mashed into one. He lives a normal life on a ridiculous scale as a guy with Upper Class power and Working Class value. There's a reason all his major villains are either Tyrants, or the jobbers of Tyrants. Everything else is either self-serious science fantasy, or going the other direction and making Superman a monster for the lolz/horror.

And guess what two kinds of stories are really unpopular with the people who have money and creative control over these kinds of projects? Expensive and goofy poo poo, and stories where the Upper Class bullies eats proper poo poo.*

There's a reason Zack Snyder-- raised in one of the richer counties in Connecticut who studied at high-end private arts colleges-- stumbled around for THREE full-length pictures trying and failing to figure out why Superman would be a good person, but intuitively understood the trust funder's need to chill out and only be kind-of a douche to his friends.

* Note: The Hunger Games only kind-of counts because while it is about Upper Class twits getting taken down, it goes the classic "both sides are bad" route in the third book and the tyrant is still a "flawed person you should feel some sympathy for" that they just released a backstory movie on about why he's actually super sympathetic you guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

mind the walrus posted:

It's both simpler and more complex than that:

The other issues is that scriptwriters and producers are addicted to character arcs and they usually can't imagine writing a movie where the protagonist doesn't face a major crisis of confidence at the end of the second act only for them to Learn A Big Lesson and rally for a triumphant comeback in the third act. It's just how stories are made, y'know?

The problem with that is that most people's core perception of Superman is as a character who never ever loses hope and the core perception of Batman is that he always considers every possible outcome and is always prepared for any eventuality. Superman always knows what's right and Batman always knows exactly what to do, that's just who they are to many people and for them to face a genuine crisis of confidence would be a massive letdown. (Just ignore the fact that this has happened frequently in the comics.) They're not just escapist literature, they're also power fantasy literature which has its own set of rules and guidelines.

There's plenty of ways around the character arc requirement - you could have the secondary characters doubt the superhero's decisions only to eventually realise that they were right all along and it was wrong of them to doubt them, etc etc.. It's fine for superheroes to have flat character arcs because superheroes usually don't change from the start of the story to the end, that's just part of their nature.

E: this was made explicit for comicbook writers, when they came onto a title that'd been running for a while they'd often be handed a "character bible" which listed all the things about the superhero which they weren't allowed to change

Similarly, The Simpsons has core rules about what animators aren't allowed to do with the characters (style wise):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iqdp77y_3c

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Dec 12, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's plenty of ways around the character arc requirement - you could have the secondary characters doubt the superhero's decisions only to eventually realise that they were right all along and it was wrong of them to doubt them, etc etc.. It's fine for superheroes to have flat character arcs because superheroes usually don't change from the start of the story to the end, that's just part of their nature.
Superman has especially suffered from this problem in adaptation. I think the most charitable interpretation is that filmmakers don't want to just use Lois and Jimmy and the Daily Planet staff, the Kents, Lana and Pete, or anyone else as classic bait to be saved, but as that anime show handily proved-- people actually love that poo poo when the characters aren't thin and instead drawn to have opinions and reactions to the world around them.

Realistically, I think it's because they're afraid to pull focus from whatever stud they cast as the Big Boy in Blue, either because the agents demand it or because "that's not how films work, it's a superhero picture so the superhero is our main POV."

It's why I think around 2012 the right move for DC Comics to stake out their own would have been to do a series of Titans movies that focused on various heroes coping with their mentors being gone-- Nightwing in Bludhaven, Wally trying to fill Barry's shoes, Supergirl in deep space, Wonder Girl and Raven doing some magical mythology poo poo, you get the idea-- and then doing the team-up where the classic League is brought back. It's a way to eat their cake and have it. I mean look at the first Shazam-- it's not far off from what I'm suggesting and people loving loved it.

Of course that could never have happened. No one in charge of finances at Warner Bros. would risk "unknown properties" like that, especially if some of them are g-g-g-g-girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just dropping into the thread to tell everyone to watch My Adventures With Superman because it's the animated version of the feeling you get when you're hugged by someone who makes you feel safe.