Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Shiroc posted:

Terunofuji has only had 6 full basho as yokozuna and 8 where he was partially or fully absent. Kisenosato was 2 and 10. Sumo Association has to be pretty desperate to get one of the young healthy guys into the role and actually have their top guys participating.

I assume part of why some of them are so harsh on Takakeisho is that they desperately wanted a Japanese Yokozuna instead of the continued total Mongolian domination on top of wanting a healthy Yokozuna in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Japanese Yokozuna hopes ended with Takakeisho

Now Kotonowaka is best Japanese rikishi

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I still believe in yokozuna SHODAI

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

I still believe in yokozuna SHODAI

that guy was an ozeki. i watched all of it happen and i still can't believe it so loving why not. hakuho was so loving wary of his absurd natural abilities that he did one of the weirdest things in his career in order to beat him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Marching Powder posted:

that guy was an ozeki. i watched all of it happen and i still can't believe it so loving why not. hakuho was so loving wary of his absurd natural abilities that he did one of the weirdest things in his career in order to beat him.

At the time as I recall people lost their poo poo over it too, but as far as I am concerned it was a mark of respect; Hakuho himself said that there was no way he was going to beat Shodai all things being equal so he really had to do something unexpected to throw him off. And that is why Hakuho was Hakuho and his final basho was a master class in rear end-kicking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

No problem Kenning. It was fun getting it up and running for a whole basho for the first time. I think I would like to give everyone the chance to customise their Shikona (abbreviation) and Mawashi (cell/font colour) for the next basho if you'll allow it during the draft!

Oh yeah, this is great, and quite in keeping with the spirit of fantasy.

Banana Canada posted:

One last nit to pick since it does impact two players' KK/MK standings. My whole rankings are sorted by points and then, in priority order, by all 6 tie-breakers. Aside from determining the winners, I think the rest of your rankings are only sorted by points and then alphabetical? By applying the tie-breakers, Jobbo_Fett holds the Yusho tie-breaker vs Ice Phisherman - both with 47 points. These two straddle the middle two rankings for Makuuchi which I believe is the KK/MK cut-off (sorry Ice!). A few other players would also swap up & down 1 or 2 spots but it would not alter their KK or MK status.

For the purposes of goonzuke movement I use points, rather than the ranked order of final standings. The tie-breakers were initially supposed to break ties for the yusho, but generally speaking two people tied for the yusho tend to have the tie breakers in common, so they don't work very well. I might switch to "highest lowest score on your team" or something like for actual tiebreaking next basho, also hoping to introduce juryo picks for KK/MK bonuses and tiebreakers.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be more like when Terunofuji won from the bottom rank and less like Tokushoryu.

I could have sworn I'd won a tournament before and turns out I did way back in september of 2020. Do you keep track of previous winners? Do we have a Hakuho among us?

Ah yes, you tied with Fluffdaddy in that one, my goonzuke document didn't have you properly highlighted.

Khizan posted:

I got curious so I went back and looked. I only went back as far as March 2020, because that's the basho that Kenning chose as the Universal Goon Maezumo for seeding the goonzuke so victories before that don't contribute to goonzuke placement.

code:
3/20: 	sivad
5/20: 	=CANCELED DUE TO COVID=
7/20: 	Thauros
9/20: 	Fluffdaddy & MalarkeyToboggan
11/20: 	Khizan
1/21:	Brut
3/21:	captainblastum
5/21:	Vargatron
7/21: 	captainblastum(M)		TwoWord Name(J)
9/21:	BananaCanada(M)			CrustyNutsack(J)
11/21:	sivad(M)			Takuan(J)
1/22:	Tiny Bug Child(M)		Memento(J)
3/22:	Teddybear(M)			NuclearPotato(J)
5/22:	Banana Canada(M)		Saturnine Aberrance(J)
7/22:	EveryonesFavoritePoster(M)	Fluffdaddy(J)
9/22:	scripterror(M)			ilmucche(J)
11/22:	Fluffdaddy(M)			Brut(J)
1/23: 	Khizan(M)			Robviously(J)
3/23:	Thauros & TinyBugChild(M)	Gaghskull(J)
5/23:	=JUNGYO= bessantj
7/23: 	Brut(M)				CrustyNutsack(J)
9/23:	BananaCanada & TinyBugChild(M)	oldskool(J)
11/23:	MalarkeyToboggan(M)		NTRabbit(J)
It looks like our three-time makuuchi yusho winners are BananaCanada and TinyBugChild.

Two-time makuuchi yusho winners are: Fluffdaddy, MalarkeyToboggan, Khizan, captainblastum, sivad, Thauros, and Brut.

some kinda jackal posted:

Had some time this morning so I think I filled out the remaining winners by rummaging through kenning's post history in the OG sumo thread, from newest to oldest.

Hell yeah, this is some fantasy history.

Lid posted:

shoutouts to the ten or so sumo posters who did this year in year out in SAS before it got moved to the Big Men Hitting Each Other forum and exploded in posters

It's fun to go back and read the old SAS thread, but I'm glad we got to the punchy forum where we could get so many more people into sumo. I'm amazed every time when 60-70 people sign up for fantasy sumo, and my IRL friends are always astonished at how many people we get.

Fearless posted:

At the time as I recall people lost their poo poo over it too, but as far as I am concerned it was a mark of respect; Hakuho himself said that there was no way he was going to beat Shodai all things being equal so he really had to do something unexpected to throw him off. And that is why Hakuho was Hakuho and his final basho was a master class in rear end-kicking.

I love Hakuho. What a remarkable athletic personality. He's wonderful.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Fearless posted:

See I refuse to believe it was a sign of respect because while he started far he also did this

Over and over and over

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone have handy that gif of SHODAI being hit in the face with a poorly aimed cushion over and over again?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Average Lettuce posted:

I think this was against Sadanoumi? But I can't find any video of that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngou947yYXM&t=433s

Aha! This is a Hoshoryu/Sadanoumi henka with a flypast mawashi grab, but the ending is slightly anticlimactic lol (7:13)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I had a ton of fun this basho, even though I mostly just lurk. Thanks Kenning and Banana Canada!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lid posted:

See I refuse to believe it was a sign of respect because while he started far he also did this

Over and over and over

I think it's like the story of how the best swordsman doesn't need to be afraid of the second best because they can prep for them, it's the worst because they'll do something crazy that catches the master off guard.

Shodai isn't the worst in this scenario, but Hak could probably read everyone else and figure out what they were going to do or at least come into the match knowing they'll have a couple possible gameplan a and have a counter for each. But how the hell do you prep for someone that doesn't understand the concept of planning. And Hak was 10-3 vs Shodai so it's not like Shodai actually had his number, it just probably felt super frustrating for a dude like Hak who probably puts in the time and effort to gameplan and have to resort to winging it.

Like I can see by Hak standards (and only Hak. Everyone else isn't good enough to worry about this), a win isn't just an offical victory, but being able to impose his will on the opponent and execute his plan. Winning the match by just being bigger, faster and stronger because the opponent prevented him from doing what he really wanted to do probably feels like a last resort and maybe not a loss, but a lesser type of victory. Like more "drat, I screwed up but at least I pulled it out" sense of relief rather than "hell, yeah! I won!".

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The extremely funny Tobizaru/Hakuho 'fight' was in the last basho too, right?

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Bentai posted:

It's an absolute pain in the rear end to find any old fights now. :smith:

I don't know if this is any help, but some of Jason's fans archived a bunch of his old videos:

https://archive.org/details/jasons-all-sumo-channel-archive

Also, hi I lurk this thread, but I've watched* the past three bashos and sumo rocks.

*Well, watched mostly Jason and Kintamayama's vids

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Single Tight Female posted:

Aha! This is a Hoshoryu/Sadanoumi henka with a flypast mawashi grab, but the ending is slightly anticlimactic lol (7:13)

This actually wasn't the one I was thinking of lol. But thinking about it better, I don't think it was a henka? Hoshoryu at the end threw Sadanoumi to the stratosphere.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Look at the absolute size of Takerufuji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDa8GVfAvgU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

The extremely funny Tobizaru/Hakuho 'fight' was in the last basho too, right?

Yeah, it was. Hak's last run had it all; drama, comedy, SHODAI.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Timberjack is a nice bike I was gonna get one but due to a stock level snafu with a shop I missed out and had to settle for my roscoe 8 in early 2020 when stock was impossible to find. Salsa is also just a way cooler brand than trek. It comes with all the good stuff, 1x, dropper, thru axles, etc and that sale price is real nice.

edit: i was just in the bike thread how did i get here?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Timberjack is just the new shikona for Hokuseiho

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

Timberjack is just the new shikona for Hokuseiho

No, pretty sure you are thinking of the one and only Ura with that shikona in mind!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This was supposed to be the healthcare story thread wtf.

Anyway, SHODAI

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Apraxin posted:

combining henka chat with 'videos of old bouts are hard to find', here's mainoumi pulling off a hassoutobi, which i don't think i've seen anyone seriously attempt in the past decade or more (whole vid is pretty great)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcknTDbDT6w&t=605s

This is pretty great - thanks for sharing it. The bout starting at about 2:02 in this has the most 'footwork' I think I've ever seen.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Former World's Strongest Man Martins Licis has a Youtube series where he goes around the world trying out different strength sports and the current episodes are about Japan. The first was on Japanese stone lifting (which I didn't know was a thing!) but the latest episode is on Sumo.

Something that I've at least wondered about a few times is how a pro athlete from a different sport would fare so it was cool to see. He got to join a few practice days with the Tatsunami-beya although it was during a basho so he only trained with the newbies and it's not new info for this thread but still fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv__i3IQIT0

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Just watched that video (thanks, algorithm!), and one thing I found interesting was they showed the rikshis' weight and what I think is body fat percentage - including their weight swings during the September basho.

Nearly five and a half kilos gained in a week, then dropped in another week, is pretty amazing.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

It's wild to me that there were such detailed accusations against Oshouma and nothing seems to have come out of it. Definitely soured me on Naruto beya though, they were one of the ones I cheered for because they were supposedly using modern methods and sports science as part of their approach.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got caught up and was surprised to see that I got my first KK in juryo!.
I'll do my best to continue falling upwards!
(Picking Roga was a bad idea)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

anakha posted:

Tochi's henka was even more hilarious given that the day before he had a controversial loss that I recall should have at least warranted a rematch.

That henka was him going 'gently caress you for screwing me out of a win'.

This is also late-career Tochi, with a knee that's more tape than bone, so being henka'd by him means you really, really weren't paying enough attention as he doesn't shift that fast.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Anyone have handy that gif of SHODAI being hit in the face with a poorly aimed cushion over and over again?
And a marginally more serious take:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

He just plucks it out of the air without looking!!

SHODAI

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlVq3LhbnUc

A cool vid where a guy watched over 11000 bouts and broke down henka usage in detail.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Marshman is a beast.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
This is the kind of analysis I want

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
My team did fairly well, and I am happy to be in the middle of Juryo. Thanks for organising this again, Kenning!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

https://packaged-media.redd.it/ybgk...d27df544c7e#t=0

Cant seem to embed this but it's definitely a must see

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

any of us would do the same

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://packaged-media.redd.it/ybgk...d27df544c7e#t=0

Cant seem to embed this but it's definitely a must see

god I wish that were me

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

god I wish that were me

Ura or Waka?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

Ura or Waka?

I was thinking Waka, but really, both are in an enviable position

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwRZc-UKP9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Latest Chris Sumo vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxTT1uFjIM

Where he talks about ex-Yutakayama's gym closing down then says he reached out to him twice to promote it on the channel but got no reply and I felt he said it in a way that felt like the two were connected. Then talks about ex-Kotokantetsu who quite sumo because of COVID and he didn't feel safe and he goes on to ask if he wouldn't compete at the height of COVID then why would he go to sumo tournaments a couple of years later when circumstances have changed.