Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The current government doesn’t really seem to think take national security seriously at all. They went all in on the idea that opening up international trade prevents war and are still clinging to that as reality keeps making fools of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I just had another visit from the Red Baron.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe a student pilot getting training on engine-out emergency procedures?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not with that bank angle at that altitude, nope.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

As much as I am down on Boeing these days, buying P-8s was the right move in this case. It's a proven aircraft flown by a ton of militaries now, that is good in its role and very cost-effective. There is no credible reason to entertain Bombardier's assertion that their completely non-existent Global 6000-based ASW aircraft was the right choice instead; all that was, was just the grift industry kicking into high gear and riling up the press about the government making the "wrong" - read, not our product - decision.

Yeah, while I still think the motives behind the decision were real dumb, I'm with you on this that the decision is going to produce a good outcome, and I'm embarrassed to admit the flood of objections made me think there was more to it. So, dumb question about the P-8: does it have overland surveillance capabilities? Just reading about the CP-140, it seems like while Maritime and ASW patrol is still used, it seems like the aircraft were used just as much for overland surveillance - which was why the CP-140As were a thing in the first place. I can imagine a very dumb scenario where the perfectly functional P-8 is junked up into a nonfunctional nightmare by Ottawa bureaucrats trying to make it "do what the CP-140 did."

Actually, doesn't Bombardier work with Rayethon to make a biz jet that does those things?

Also lol, just in case I wasn't clear, I was NEVER for the Bombardier thing - aside from any other reason, it's in the planning stages. God only knows if it will work when it comes time to retire the CP-140s.

While were here, though, ask Airbus if they can whip up a A220 with a CP-140's surveillance capabilities

hobbesmaster posted:

The Canadian government isn’t truly interested in maintaining domestic capabilities and hasn’t been since… the 50s? They let their aviation and shipbuilding industries (almost) completely die. They kept tossing some money at bombardier for some time but never treated it as a true strategic need to maintain.

You're wrong - in your timeframe.

It should be noted first that in between America: we can source everything domestically and, say, Suriname: we can source nothing domestically, walking the line of keeping some indiginous defense industry while sourcing other things from other nations is genuinely tricky and complex, with no real easy answers. France seems to have walked that line quite well, as has Japan. The UK seems to have walked that line poorly, Russia and Germany seem to have walked that line very badly.

So WW2 Canada got through kinda like the Swedes - everything worked out in the end, but that was not because Canada was brilliant on defense in the leadup. Pre-WW2, Canada was extremely laissez-faire in its procurement decisions, assuming, not without reason, that if they ever needed anything, they could buy from America or the UK. The Second World War demonstrated the flaws in this plan, with both nations suddenly too busy with their own needs to fill orders from Canada. This lead to a lot of pain in WW2 you will not see in a heritage minute; the Flower class corvettes was a naval militia ship that initially went to sea with dummy guns and depth charges, and thanks to silly fuckups in Ottawa, it was an embarrassingly long time before Canada could effectively suppress German U boats operating in its waters, with at one point the situation getting so bad that Britain and the US had to take over ASW patrol so the RCAF could do some more training - and get better airplanes. When long range B-24s arrived, the shoe was on the other foot, but these sorta failures kept Canada pretty sharp through, say, the 1950s and 1960s. Like other democracies the military functioned as a cadre to train lots more people when the force seemed to be needed.

Post WW2, Aviation industry had been built up, and it was fairly easy to source stuff inside Canada or build aircraft under license, as there was a lot of industrial expertise in aviation. It's why Canadair could take a British Airliner and respec it as the Argus, for example. The CF-100 was a quite good aircraft for its time, and Canadair's version of the F-86 was considered the best version of the Sabre. Aviation was a success story - though as time went on and the cold war superpowers were spending the GDP of south America on new research and development, it was clear that for combat aircraft, anyway, buying from America was going to take over. Naval construction seems a lot more mixed. You need naval facilities to keep up what you have, but I don't think Canada even during the cold war could keep up a viable naval shipbuilding capability, especially when (much like aviation) most industrialized nations subsidized the poo poo out of shipbuilding.

The real change was the post cold war, when the Fed abandoned any pretense for keeping any defense capabilities. From now on, they said, it was back to Laissez-faire. Close the naval architecture office, the Halifax class frigates (which were designed by said office) were the last. While such a thing was ignoring history, it was the style of the time. This is also when Canada seems to stop caring about Defense, as well. The infamous sea king debacle was during the 1990s after all. The discussion from here I think is why Canada stopped giving a poo poo, and how it is connected with a decline in the Federal Government, but that's beyond airplanes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, dumb question about the P-8: does it have overland surveillance capabilities?

According to wikipedia, yes. Specific details on what it can do probably get into :nsa: very quickly.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Fornax Disaster posted:

I just had another visit from the Red Baron.

I see Trevor’s influence is potent. Another taylorcrate about to end up as scrap metal and wood.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
today i remembered the burt rutan boomerang is real and strong and my friend. not my picture unfortunately

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the milk machine posted:

today i remembered the burt rutan boomerang is real and strong and my friend. not my picture unfortunately

the reaction to this photo these days would probably be "nah, that's ai."

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Would

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

charliemonster42 posted:

I see Trevor’s influence is potent. Another taylorcrate about to end up as scrap metal and wood.

What was the name of that guy that would film his completely insane landings until he had to take his videos down for the crimes of being terrible at aviation?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Something Wagner?

e: Jerry?

Secondary Minimums guy?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

captainOrbital posted:

What was the name of that guy that would film his completely insane landings until he had to take his videos down for the crimes of being terrible at aviation?

Trevor is the guy who intentionally bailed from his plane and crashed it. Jerry is the guy who flies within 200 feet of the bay bridge and lets the stall horn sing the song of its people on base to final.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

jerry wagner.

and yeah, it seems like the eye of sauron finally turned upon him and he got a 709 (airman competency reexamination) checkride. a few years ago suddenly all his videos where he was dive-bombing the field with a 60 degree turn to final in IMC were gone one day, nothing was posted for several months, and now he's back but the videos are totally average and he mostly does things safely and correctly.

seems like for once the system worked. probably saved lives

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Yeah something tells me this is the dude of whom I was thinking

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

True, but which all the more makes it shocking the Canadian government didn't go with Bombardier.

The amazing thing is they didn't try to buy our old P-3s.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

Well apparently the turbine the CP-140 uses is getting hard to service/find parts for*, so I'm sure Canada was a benefactor of old P-3 parts

*Something the Fed said that is quite possibly dumb

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

jerry wagner.

and yeah, it seems like the eye of sauron finally turned upon him and he got a 709 (airman competency reexamination) checkride. a few years ago suddenly all his videos where he was dive-bombing the field with a 60 degree turn to final in IMC were gone one day, nothing was posted for several months, and now he's back but the videos are totally average and he mostly does things safely and correctly.

All he had to do was post a video of a girl saying she felt safe flying with him and then the FAA would have emailed Jerry his license back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

jerry wagner.

I'm just astonished he didn't crash before the system got around to working. Those landings were :catstare:, he was absolutely gonna Bud Holland it into the ground sooner or later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jerry is the safest of all pilots, for he has known unsafeness and rejected it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Switching to secondary safeness.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Too close for minimums, switching to secondary minimums.

*highway to the danger zone solo*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well apparently the turbine the CP-140 uses is getting hard to service/find parts for*, so I'm sure Canada was a benefactor of old P-3 parts

*Something the Fed said that is quite possibly dumb

The specific T56 variant that the CP-140 uses was apparently only used on P-3s so

Godholio posted:

If they used the same variant as a c-130 I bet they’d fly them for another few decades.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Can someone help me confirm/deny something? I have it in my head that when the Netherlands started importing F-16s in the 70s, their flight computers somehow freaked out when they were flying below sea level, but I have not been able to find a source for this anywhere.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'd reckon it would be googled under parked/starting up/landing issues if it happened, did you try that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would be surprised if that story were true given that Southern California has areas below sea level.

Here is an F-16 on a runway thirty‐five metres below the level of the sea, in 2010.

Here are two parked in 2007.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

evobatman posted:

Can someone help me confirm/deny something? I have it in my head that when the Netherlands started importing F-16s in the 70s, their flight computers somehow freaked out when they were flying below sea level, but I have not been able to find a source for this anywhere.

"Freaked out" in that it wasn't possible to set the barometric correction low enough to get field elevation accurate if there were specific weather conditions. The altimeter is only required to be accurate to -1000ft, so if the density altitude correction puts you below that, then the baro computer "freaks out" and complains it's out of range. I think there was a software fix pushed, but the real answer was "if you're close to the ground, use Radar Altimeter" which was fine until the Israelis were doing something sketchy and the aircraft had to be radio silent about it. Then the "error" came up again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I presume by "sketchy" you mean "bombing a nuclear reactor" iirc?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

In winter time we often see PA's way below sea level, so I don't think it was ever an issue.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'll assume the error was fixed very shortly after it was discovered many decades ago, so wouldn't expect it to be an issue today.

Similar stuff does happen though https://www.itnews.com.au/news/stealth-fighters-hit-by-software-crash-74081

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about F-16s but here's an example of similar problems in a C-130

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a26598/c-130-sea-level-dead-sea/

The electronics in the plane actually were designed to work below sea level, but only down to -400 ft, perhaps because the lowest altitude airfield in the USA is -210 ft. Bar Yehuda in Israel is at -1200 ft.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

In winter time we often see PA's way below sea level, so I don't think it was ever an issue.

This seems like a lower-level problem. Like maybe the navigation software can handle a calculated PA or DA way below sea level, as determined by pressure and temperature, but it has trouble when the inputs (GPS presumably) indicate that it is actually below sea level.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's a real pickle for the Israeli forces, it sure is.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Wanna fly a P-61?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxlIjQqiTk

This channel is a rabbit hole.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

charliemonster42 posted:

Too close for minimums, switching to secondary minimums.

*highway to the danger zone solo*

I need this to implemented with a switch under a safety flip cover so that you can be cool

Maybe also a switch that says enable alternate mass balance or something (this one plays the aviation safety institute jingle)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Video in the link of the recovery of a P-8A out of the bay after overrunning runway.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/907633/us-navy-p-8a-poseidon-extraction-kaneohe-bay

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

mlmp08 posted:

Video in the link of the recovery of a P-8A out of the bay after overrunning runway.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/907633/us-navy-p-8a-poseidon-extraction-kaneohe-bay

Interesting that they kept it on the inflateable rollers after they got it out of the water. I guess the gear didn't survive as intact as it looks from a distance.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

mlmp08 posted:

That's gotta be a hull loss right? With where the waterline was at and how long it sat in the bay, I can't imagine that salt water hasn't infiltrated, like, everything.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Interesting that they kept it on the inflateable rollers after they got it out of the water. I guess the gear didn't survive as intact as it looks from a distance.

"How are we going to get it out of the water, Sir?"

"What does it say on the left side of your shirt?"

"US Navy?"

"Exactly ...and what does the US Navy do?"

"Boat stuff?"

"You're catching on, Pyle! Now grab that boat stuff and get moving!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BobHoward posted:

That's gotta be a hull loss right? With where the waterline was at and how long it sat in the bay, I can't imagine that salt water hasn't infiltrated, like, everything.

Economically repairable means something different to the DOD but for the sake of future aircrews hopefully the answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

Economically repairable means something different to the DOD but for the sake of future aircrews hopefully the answer is yes.

Once, perhaps. Nowadays, if the folks at Boeing doing the Depot maintenance say "screw this: this thing is junk" the DoD will hold its hat and say "ok, sorry sir may I buy another?"