Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I wouldn't mind if 1 patch focused on the Herta station. Maybe give us a couple more floors. Bouncing between Belobog and the Luofu is getting old. Though I do appreciate the Fight Club being a permanent event. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
ruining a fantastical space adventure story for myself by interpreting everything in the most soulless and unromantic way possible, lmao

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 hours!)

are you actually able to unlock that door that needs 3 clearance keys on the station?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GateOfD posted:

are you actually able to unlock that door that needs 3 clearance keys on the station?
yes, had to find a guide to do it myself, you have to do some kinda obtuse things to do it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want a imaginary unit that isn't yukes

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Simply throw thousands of dollars into the gacha hole until welt shows up? ezpz

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just pull for Ratio. That's my plan.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Meowywitch posted:

I want a imaginary unit that isn't yukes

Seems like doing this would interfere with throwing yellow weaknesses on enemies as a joke, so maybe next year they'll come up with something.

It took entirely too long for the game to let me read the ghost bbs, terrible design.

I don't even want to do these quests, I just wanna read the ghostpage.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Most of the hardest enemies in the game are IMG weak. It's like the best dps element in the game.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

NeonPunk posted:

Am I the only one who's bored with the Xianzhou? I honestly don't want to see any other event involving them for a while. There's a whole universe out there! We've already went on that whole silly saying goodbyes to everybody thing and yet we're still sticking around.

Yeah, I've been tired of them before the story even wrapped up. Fantasy China with a micron thin paint of sci-fi didn't grab me at first, and the glimpses of a better story that they didn't stick the landing with were enough to just make me kind of hate the place. I love going back to Herta Space Station and to Jarilo VI, but I wouldn't be upset if we never went back to the Luofu ever again.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
messing around with Argenti on auto stuff, while in general he'll 90 ult on trash and save to 180 for elites, whenever a grizzly drops explodey hands he'll 90 ult to take them out

as much doomsaying as I heard about his mechanics and auto pre-release, they really went out of their way to just make him Good instead

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't thiiiiink anyone said Argenti was bad pre-release, just that his mechanics are very boring. He's just a grown-up Destruction Trailblazer (physical, aoe attacks, choice between two ults).

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
yeah I'm just saying I saw a lot of worry about how his mechanics would work with auto and it's cool that they addressed a lot of issues one could conceivably have about it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It feels like they've been doing a lot of work to make auto better in general, and it's welcome.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

A lot of people don't like Argenti. There was a lot of doom and gloom around him before release. And a lot of people don't like 1.5 at all.

I'm having a great time.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

NeonPunk posted:

Am I the only one who's bored with the Xianzhou? I honestly don't want to see any other event involving them for a while. There's a whole universe out there! We've already went on that whole silly saying goodbyes to everybody thing and yet we're still sticking around.

It’s the least interesting of the three so far and has been going on the longest

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

1.5 and 1.6 feature some fine characters but I gotta save for the 2.x cycle :shrug:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like Argenti cause I'm a simp for pretty men

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I want to see more of the Xianzhou but not the Luofu itself. Lemme see some hosed up space zombie ships MHY

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

I like Argenti cause I'm a simp for pretty men

I whaled a bit for his LC. I'm going to make him great.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 hours!)

I’m usually not a fan of his archetype, but him hitting on the plant and March/ my female MC was great

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yeah he's a weird dork pretty boy and he does space races and cool hero poo poo for beauty and now I like him

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Eej posted:

I don't think you're supposed to go into this with a Western lens and be like Imperialism, bad! Capitalism, bad!

While I agree that Honkai Star Rail has no particular desire to say anything, I'm not a fan of blaming it on Asian culture. Arknights is another Chinese game that is quite explicitly about how Imperialism and Capitalism are bad. It's not that Asian culture is incapable of criticizing these things, it's just that Mihoyo specifically just want to tell a dumb fantasy story and not think about politics (while simultaneously revealing their politics by accident).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lazy_Liberal posted:

yeah he's a weird dork pretty boy and he does space races and cool hero poo poo for beauty and now I like him

Yeah, his companion mission made me warm up to him considerably. Not enough to pull for him but he's definitely "yeah maybe during a rerun" material.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

While I agree that Honkai Star Rail has no particular desire to say anything, I'm not a fan of blaming it on Asian culture. Arknights is another Chinese game that is quite explicitly about how Imperialism and Capitalism are bad. It's not that Asian culture is incapable of criticizing these things, it's just that Mihoyo specifically just want to tell a dumb fantasy story and not think about politics (while simultaneously revealing their politics by accident).

I'm not saying that Star Rail is apolitical. It very clearly has a stance on Tencent-like mega corps. Yes, they provide great benefits to everyone but they're also coldly calculating greedy capitalists at their core. Intergalactic society would break down without them but you can't let them get away with their excesses.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i also appreciated that gwenivere's posting career feels like it's supposed to be viewed as a calculating capitalist venture

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYJpf1M_wU4

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

lol even faster than himeko herta

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Traveller posted:

It sure doesn't help that Xianzhou people get to poo poo on people with disabilities seemingly without consequence, and the cycle might just repeat with the young blind girl because there won't be a Trailblazer around to chase off bullies forever.

Yeah, hopefully they come back to that girl in a future event, because for all we know she only had two people looking out for her, us and Dan Shu, and with us traveling the galaxy and Dan Shu gone, sure seems like she's hosed!

Clarste posted:

Yeah, agreed. I think they have a lot to say, but they're not going to make it completely obvious. I actually think the Sumeru arc in Genshin was them being as critical of the Chinese government as they dared, particularly Nilou's story quest, but that's just my read on it

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I need to find an er rope for him. Maybe even Vonwacq. :D

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space Station > Luofu > Belobog IMO

That's largely due to the music and "vibes" for the first being great, though. My main gripe about the Luofu is that I feel like they could have done something way more aesthetically interesting with the concept. When the game first came out and I was behind everyone, I had great expectations for what "space China" would be like that weren't met.

Also, regarding real-life analogies for the IPC, I think it doesn't really translate to any one specific thing. The specific scenario of "using loans to seize a nation's* assets" is directly analogous to what the IMF does far more than anything China does, but the general "mission" and impact of the IPC isn't the same. And the IPC acts in service of the Aeon of Preservation, so presumably it doesn't just siphon wealth and resources from the planets it "acquires" to the upper-classes in its home system(s).

* planets are basically just countries in most sci-fi, seemingly including this

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Clarste posted:

I don't think that's entirely fair. There's a major story arc where you fight against corpo colonialism for belobog's right to self-determination and also a big market revitalization event where you fight to resist IPC influence. There was a lot of dialogue in the market event about how IPC control typically ends up decimating the local culture.

Granted they don't go that hard on politics but imo what is present seems appropriate for this type of game.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Also, regarding real-life analogies for the IPC, I think it doesn't really translate to any one specific thing. The specific scenario of "using loans to seize a nation's* assets" is directly analogous to what the IMF does far more than anything China does, but the general "mission" and impact of the IPC isn't the same. And the IPC acts in service of the Aeon of Preservation, so presumably it doesn't just siphon wealth and resources from the planets it "acquires" to the upper-classes in its home system(s).

* planets are basically just countries in most sci-fi, seemingly including this

The IPC is both hilariously corrupt, and also its core mission statement is still pretty hosed. The whole gag is they've created this seemingly inescapable, unaccountable galactic trade regime that all the other planets and factions are forced to integrate with to some degree, all to extract as much value and resources as possible in unquestioned cultish service of the deific personification of unchanging stasis (literally called the Amber Lord), which doesn't give a toss about any of their efforts and just laser-focuses on building its big stupid wall. It's entirely a joke about how messed up the global Western-dominated trade system operates, all ultimately in service to one specific country and its leadership that at times doesn't even seem care to acknowledge how much it benefits from it all.

If Trump were still in office, Qlipoth would come off as much more cutting commentary.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Aeons not caring about their most fanatical followers is an ongoing thing. Qlipoth completely ignores the obscene amount of resources the IPC pools up for them. Lan ends wars without even an acknowledgment that Xianzhou forces are fighting them. Yaoshi leaves 'blessings' that completely upend entire cultures and then skedaddles. The Annihilation Gang is supposed to be forgettable mooks that don't merit Nanook's attention. IX is IX.

Then there's Aha, who might care way too much about everything for the bit.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The IPC is probably just another aspect of China. It's not like China is unfamiliar with capitalism.

Also lay off Qlipoth, they gave us a cool spear and control over a giant robot.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I dont think Qlipoth is ignoring the IPC out of malicious intent, it's more that it does not need nor want physical goods to construct its walls around reality

it's like if your ant farm colony built an offering to you out of sticks and leaves - you might appreciate the gesture on some level, but what are you even going to do with them?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Traveller posted:

Then there's Aha, who might care way too much about everything for the bit.

Reminder that in addition to the Fools, Aha has also given his blessing to a group that tried to kill IX, and, honestly kinda funny, a group that is actively trying to kill Aha.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain France posted:

Reminder that in addition to the Fools, Aha has also given his blessing to a group that tried to kill IX, and, honestly kinda funny, a group that is actively trying to kill Aha.

Aha’s basic determination for who deserves blessings is “oh that poo poo is hilarious let’s see how they gently caress it up” and that makes them the best aeon by far.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hypocrisy posted:

The IPC is probably just another aspect of China. It's not like China is unfamiliar with capitalism.

Also lay off Qlipoth, they gave us a cool spear and control over a giant robot.

The first give away for that is when the IPC customer support guy whose lovely job is to monitor the Belobog signal has a script that tags all his private messages with deals and sales which is the Chinese eshopping experience to a T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i also appreciated that gwenivere's posting career feels like it's supposed to be viewed as a calculating capitalist venture

I liked when she ripped into that one fan who showed up and said bitch I am in this for the money and clout and only nice on stream gtfo - content creators should be more like Lil Gui