Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The M18 makes you start looking around for rusted poo poo to break off for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Edit: Nevermind, the throat difference is HUGE. I'll look for an M18 deal.

Also I would expect the M12 portaband runtime would be poo poo. M12 is great for short/quick jobs but you can drain those batteries fast.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The m12 portaband exists for electrical trades or guys who need to cut stuff like threaded rod all day every day. if you don't need the throat, the lighter weight is really nice compared to the 18.

and a dead battery is just a reason for a smoke break.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Everyone uses m18 in the field, if you're cutting tons of threaded rod you're probably using a purpose built tool for it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpeedFreek posted:

Everyone uses m18 in the field, if you're cutting tons of threaded rod you're probably using a purpose built tool for it.

M18 is crazy popular, I do see low voltage guys and finish trim electricians with the smaller tools. Usually the guys that realize the tool being light is a feature.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

StormDrain posted:

Usually the guys that realize the tool being light is a feature.

When I was doing work on cargo ships, I bought M12 tools for the form factor of the batteries. I was absolutely blown away by how well they performed next to 18v tools and 240v tools. Being small and light is absolutely a feature, and you don't really give up all that much capability for the size.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I stand corrected, the crew lead pulled out a m12 portaband today because he left the m18 in the control house. Too small to cut 2" conduit but it is light.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

StormDrain posted:

M18 is crazy popular, I do see low voltage guys and finish trim electricians with the smaller tools. Usually the guys that realize the tool being light is a feature.

The install driver is 2nd only to Festool and not by much.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

deimos posted:

The install driver is 2nd only to Festool and not by much.

Which model is that and why? If it's the one I'm thinking of I've seen it and did not understand the use for it. The one with the hand guard thing on it? What's it for?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

My M12 Fuel Surge impact driver is, by far, the most used and useful power tool I have. From delicate to thrash, it's really down for anything. Small, light, powerful, capable. It's way more than it should be.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

My M12 Fuel Surge impact driver is, by far, the most used and useful power tool I have. From delicate to thrash, it's really down for anything. Small, light, powerful, capable. It's way more than it should be.

Hell yeah I bought one of those last year. I justified it as project costs of course. The smallest innovation that I love is you can just stick a bit in it, you don't have to pull back the foreskin.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m over here pulling back the foreskin on my big ol m18 like a fool

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Is there a chart or reference for babies somewhere that lines up the different manufacturers by which voltages or lines are comparable for what amount of usage?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Which model is that and why? If it's the one I'm thinking of I've seen it and did not understand the use for it. The one with the hand guard thing on it? What's it for?

For... Installing. :agesilaus:

I am a bit facetious, but in general it's used for installing poo poo like cabinets, HVAC, electrical panels, sometimes trim where you have weird approach/angle to screws sometimes. I have an electrician friend that does a bunch of solar and likes the offset head for some of the electrical boxes for the inverters.

StormDrain posted:

Hell yeah I bought one of those last year. I justified it as project costs of course. The smallest innovation that I love is you can just stick a bit in it, you don't have to pull back the foreskin.

Only problem with that head is if you slip when blind drilling through metal studs on a 3/8ths or larger bit your bit may go bye bye into the wall. Stopped using the impact for holes after that.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 7, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

deimos posted:

For... Installing. :agesilaus:

Only problem with that head is if you slip when blind drilling through metal studs on a 3/8ths or larger bit your bit may go bye bye into the wall. Stopped using the impact for holes after that.

If its nything like the new milwaukee 18v impact I just bought, you still have to pull the foreskin to remove the bit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm late to the party, but I'm learning all the wonderful things that grinders can do. And I'm seeing that multiple grinders is the answer.

So, I got a 2 pack of Porter Cable grinders from Tractor Supply for $30. I'm not expecting these to be tools for life, but hopefully they grind stuff. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/porter-cable-2-pk-grinder-pceg011-2-1872231

I popped the top of one of them and saw some real crap-grade grease. I wiped it all out and filled 'er back up with some fancy Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 High Performance Multi-Purpose Synthetic Ultra Performance Grease.

I let both the stock grease one and the good grease one heat up for a couple minutes, then looked at them with a digital tachometer.

They are rated at 12,000rpm. I saw 9600rpm from the stock grease and 10,000 from the good grease.

That looks like enough difference for me to put good grease in the other one.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I had a perfectly good M12 Fuel impact (no foreskin insert and everything) and after using one of these I bought one, it's really an upgrade, especially for the more delicate stuff where it actually does a softer hit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

4.5". Buy one name-brand. Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Metabo (German Metabo, not HPT). Put whatever hard rock wheel you need on it. Put a cutoff on the other grinder. Wait, did I say one grinder?

Two grinders. I suggest a Makita 4" and a name-brand 4.5". Put a flapdisk on the 4", and a hard rock on the 4.5". Wait, you needed a cutoff wheel on a grinder, right?

Three grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", and a cheap 4.5". Put the cutoff wheel on the other 4.5". Put the knotted wire wheel on the other grinder. Wait... We're out of grinders again.

Four grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", and a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita. Flap, hard rock, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need two different grits of hard wheel, right?

Five grinders. A Makita 4", a name-brand 4.5", a cheap 4.5", a 5"/6" Milwaukee or Makita, and a 9" Makita because gently caress it why not. Flap, 2 hard rocks, cutoff, wire wheel. But you need to cut aluminum or stainless and those take different wheel construction.

Seven grinders. Plus one for lending out. Eight sounds right. But it's so close to ten. Ten grinders is more than enough. poo poo, I forgot about a diamond cup for grinding concrete or granite. Twelve grinders. Final answer.

Wait, cordless. Gotta get a couple of those. Fifteen grinders.

Evergreen post.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I managed to pick up a B&D 7 inch, 15 amp angle grinder for $15 and i absolutely need like 6 more. It's made in Italy and seems to be a rebrand of the Dewalt DW474. It was an auction unicorn with both the handle and shield.

It's probably close to 20 pounds and tries to immediately leave your hands, the perfect power tool.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Big Taint posted:

I had a perfectly good M12 Fuel impact (no foreskin insert and everything) and after using one of these I bought one, it's really an upgrade, especially for the more delicate stuff where it actually does a softer hit.

I really can't overstate how much I like that. I liked it so much that I got dad a non-fuel version, thinking it'd be similar "enough." Wrong. It sucks. So many features the Fuel Surge has that makes it a great tool are missing from the lesser models.

I just tried the M18 Fuel Hackzall that I got the other day and man.... another Milwaukee tool that I didn't know I needed, but I do.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ridgid Tools

I have tried to stay one color with my cordless stuff for simplicity and since there is a DTO not too too far from me I’ve accumulated a base of Ridgid stuff. With the changes recently made to DTO, offers, and pricing is this brand basically dead? There doesn’t seem to be much range or expansion compared to Ryobi or Milwaukee. I’m a mid grade automotive and wood user so the price point and quality were a good fit for me in the past. When I look at current and past deals running on tools I wonder if I should abandon ship and go with another brand.

How many of you are running battery adapters to run different brand tools?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I didn't finish my deck this year, so I've got material stacked in my garage. It's made things very tight. Plus, the deck project used just about every tool that I have, and I haven't done the full tool clean / put away yet, so poo poo is strewn everywhere.

I've been wanting some organization and was looking at the Packout stuff and others, but then I thought... I've got plenty of shelf space, why not organize the shelves... great idea.

Yesterday I printed up a bunch of M12 tool holders and today I mounted them to a shelf. M12 tools are happy and I really like this idea. I'll hang the M18 stuff next. Or maybe I'll figure out M12 battery storage... either way, progress. :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

meatpimp posted:

I didn't finish my deck this year, so I've got material stacked in my garage. It's made things very tight. Plus, the deck project used just about every tool that I have, and I haven't done the full tool clean / put away yet, so poo poo is strewn everywhere.

I've been wanting some organization and was looking at the Packout stuff and others, but then I thought... I've got plenty of shelf space, why not organize the shelves... great idea.

Yesterday I printed up a bunch of M12 tool holders and today I mounted them to a shelf. M12 tools are happy and I really like this idea. I'll hang the M18 stuff next. Or maybe I'll figure out M12 battery storage... either way, progress. :toot:

Yo where’s you get the model for those holders?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Protip: if a tool box looks really big inside a Home Depot, it will be goddamn enormous in your regular rear end 3 car garage.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WTFBEES posted:

Protip: if a tool box looks really big inside a Home Depot, it will be goddamn enormous in your regular rear end 3 car garage.

You better have the volume up on that TV.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 10, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

WTFBEES posted:

I bet you still outgrow it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I bet you still outgrow it.

That's okay. Then you buy another one and put it in your 20 foot sea container next to the garage.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

eddiewalker posted:

Wtf, we got a guy who can Heidi-Bowl on request?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

eddiewalker posted:

:aaaaa:

Man I love these drat forums.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the yeti posted:

Yo where’s you get the model for those holders?

thangs.com

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I hope that is a Costco dawg.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

meatpimp posted:

thangs.com

Neato. I'm printing an M18 tool hanger now just to see if the concept of slotting into the battery holder is any good. There's all sorts of ready made stuff for organizing tools and batteries, and that's just the beginning. I have to do something about my dremel peripherals also I think. Shame that it's often such a PITA to modify .stl files (at least in freeCAD)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Invalido posted:

Neato. I'm printing an M18 tool hanger now just to see if the concept of slotting into the battery holder is any good. There's all sorts of ready made stuff for organizing tools and batteries, and that's just the beginning. I have to do something about my dremel peripherals also I think. Shame that it's often such a PITA to modify .stl files (at least in freeCAD)

Learning curves for software that will edit .stl files are vertical from my experience.

Meanwhile, I grabbed the rest of my M12 stuff and printed two battery holders. Got a little lift from the bottom of each, need to talk to my 3d printer guru on that. I also need to find where the gently caress my small M12 batteries ran off to.

Looks like I'll be adjusting all my shelves as I do this, inflator won't stand up right now.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

WTFBEES posted:

You can never have enough tool storage space.

More importantly, is that a Scout? 🤩

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

CatBus posted:

You can never have enough tool storage space.

More importantly, is that a Scout? 🤩

It is a Scout! Read all about it in my thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983095

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Invalido posted:

I've fixed fucky STLs in Blender like a psychopath, it's far from ideal.

This actually looks pretty loving cool. 80 bucks for some anodized CNC machine aluminum seems to be the largest complaint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCKCgBTKpMU
https://spliseal.com/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DocCynical posted:

This actually looks pretty loving cool. 80 bucks for some anodized CNC machine aluminum seems to be the largest complaint.

Can just use those dumb heat gun meltable solder with heatshrink butt connectors instead.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

DocCynical posted:

Low pressure molding is super cool. Getting the material in a reasonable quantity or form factor for home gaming is difficult. I use this for PCBA encapsulation for work stuff, it's great at ingress, vibration, and automotive chemical exposure. The temperature resistance is highly dependent on the mix and who knows what they actually have in those gluesticks. It's a really cool idea, I've wanted to make a home gamer melting pot / injector to do this with pellets I get from our adhesives guy at work, but if I can get glue sticks for a reasonable cost I could make my own molds for those,too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

deimos posted:

Can just use those dumb heat gun meltable solder with heatshrink butt connectors instead.

Those should never be used in an engine bay, full stop.

But the double wall/sealant lined/marine grade heatshrink butt splices are both smaller than those injection molded splices, and probably cheaper even in quantity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kastein posted:

Those should never be used in an engine bay, full stop.

But the double wall/sealant lined/marine grade heatshrink butt splices are both smaller than those injection molded splices, and probably cheaper even in quantity.

I think the only advantage these have over the glue-lined heatshrink is these can be put on the wire after it's spliced. I don't think that's enough of a reason to bother with it, especially since

DocCynical posted:

80 bucks for some anodized CNC machine aluminum

And not even a big piece of aluminum! I hope the machined version is a proof of concept, I'd think you could cast the mold for a lot cheaper if CNC precision isn't needed.