Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay this is dumb but where do you go to find artists to commission?

I probably should respect my budget and not look but otoh I could save up and treat myself to a drawing of my OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I probably should respect my budget and not look but otoh I could save up and treat myself to a drawing of my OC.
The TG art thread has peeps but a lot of this stuff is discovered through friend-of-a-friend... and unfortunately a lot of these people use Elon Musk's wild hell ride.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HungryArtists/ Is a great place!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

neonchameleon posted:

I'm going to go right back to the start for this one and say first off I do not care that it appears that the arrogant sorceress had a magical bodysculpt. I suspect a lot would. (The face strikes me as being younger than the body, but I'll put that down to the sculpt). But what I want to do is take a look at that picture and say what it tells me about her beyond the fact that she cares a lot about her appearance (that hair alone requires a lot of work or magic, and the dress is a trip hazard).

The obvious thing is that she is carefully posed like that. The ends of that dress fall in a circle around her; she is not moving and there is no basic way to get something to drape like that on the floor without some sort of physical/magical adjustment. This is a posed shot, not remotely candid. And she's looking straight at the artist, so we have exactly what is intended in-universe. And based on how she's dressed and how far she's gone out of the way to show how long her leg is it's obviously a glamour/cheesecake shot, which tells us something important about the character; either she wants there to be cheesecake shots of her or she's working for someone who does.

Next we look at her pose. The legs are easy. Her weight is mostly on her back foot so she can show off the length of her front leg with the hip-slit and garter to best effect. But it's her right arm that is the one that catches my attention. It's out to the side, the right hand is turned out away from her body, and I think her elbow is further back than the line of her shoulders, in part to keep the magical light from obscuring her body. That's actually a surprisingly uncomfortable pose to hold. And for all the dress and legs are cheesecake the two lights draw the attention away from her body. Should my eyes be on the staff? The light she's making in her right hand? The hip-slit? The plunging neckline? Her violet eyes? Her glowing earrings?

And then we get to what you call her arrogant expression and others see as her blank one. I have a third explanation. Boredom, depending on context, can come off as arrogance (they aren't paying attention to you) or blankness (they just aren't paying attention). But boredom in a glamour shot? That says something about the model in the shot and even more about the person taking the shot (including that their eyes aren't on her face). And it certainly isn't an expression of someone who is an engaged BBEG who is having a glamour shot of them taken because they want to look good.

I therefore think that that isn't Celira Darkflame, BBEG but Miss Celira Darkflame shortly before deciding to become Celira Darkflame, BBEG. And she keeps that picture around as inspiration.
Yeah, I'll take this one. Great mental image of her looking at the completed portrait, looking at the man who commissioned it, camera cutting back to the portrait, and then a cut to her walking outside with a slow pan away from her face slowly revealing the burning rubble of what used to be the family castle.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 10, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I subscribe for a few artists who make rpg maps on patreon and kofi. Most of them have a sub tier that lets you choose what one of the maps will be once a year or once a quarter, or just a one time donation to commission something. Dread Maps is the first example i can readily find, but he offers two different commission rates for different maps sizes here. Not sure on portraits though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm using NovelAI for character art now that their art generator update made it so the hands look passable now, that poo poo actually advanced by bounds recently.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

The TG art thread has peeps but a lot of this stuff is discovered through friend-of-a-friend... and unfortunately a lot of these people use Elon Musk's wild hell ride.

Though to be fair, most artists who are trying to get by on commissions will post to multiple social media sites. It’s just that Twitter used to be one of the “good” sites so there’s a lot of inertia in getting them to leave, even as engagement has fallen off a cliff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TG Art thread and HungryArtists look good, thanks! I suspect the real problem after money will be picking which of my OCs get art...

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

StrixNebulosa posted:

TG Art thread and HungryArtists look good, thanks! I suspect the real problem after money will be picking which of my OCs get art...

Just don't get your hopes up. Hit rate on character commissions tends to be about one-in-three for accurate to the description. Test the artist out on a character where you won't be too disappointed if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Kestral posted:

Just don't get your hopes up. Hit rate on character commissions tends to be about one-in-three for accurate to the description. Test the artist out on a character where you won't be too disappointed if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

I’d go in more with a general idea of the character and let the artist use their creativity and artistic skill to create what they see as their artistic interpretation of the character.

If you have a good artist, it’s interesting to see their interpretation of what you describe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

In particular it frequently doesn't work if you want a character who isn't white.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kestral posted:

I know - I actually went through this some years back when I won a fullbody commission via a raffle on Flight Rising of all things. I got my OC drawn and it's accurate to the description but otherwise completely wrong. :sigh:

I have since commissioned friend art and some Transformers fanart and been better about communicating what I want / tempering my expectations.

Or just going full yolo and saying "I want a picture of Megatron holding a duck" and accepting whatever comes from that

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

My Lovely Horse posted:

For the record if I was in a game where I met a compassionate Robin Hood bandit leader that enjoys playing the lute for his people and coincidentally also walks around in Tom of Finland gear 24/7 that would instantly become one of my top 10 NPCs

I am imagining the original Monster Manual with all Tom of Finland art.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

In particular it frequently doesn't work if you want a character who isn't white.

Or isn't young and hot. The last commission I was involved in, the brief included "late 40s or early 50s, looks somewhere between Desiderius Erasmus and Durer's Portrait of Maximillian I," among other notes - which is to say, a wrinkled, kind of fleshy patrician-looking guy in big coats to ward off European winters, who is not aging gracefully.

We ended up with a bishie waif who might be 35 in nearly skin-tight clothes, and no amount of feedback to the artist would change this.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's killing me but I know I read an RPG a while back, a relatively old one from the late 80s, where the monster section was filled with beefcake muscle dudes with animal heads. Trying to look it up.

Found the art, but not the game title, still asking my listeners, they know the poo poo I do on the show way better than I do.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 10, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this wasn't as fun as when people got super flustered over baldurs gate 3 bear sex

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Oh my loving god the crab

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Crab man is powerful

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

theironjef posted:

It's killing me but I know I read an RPG a while back, a relatively old one from the late 80s, where the monster section was filled with beefcake muscle dudes with animal heads. Trying to look it up.

Found the art, but not the game title, still asking my listeners, they know the poo poo I do on the show way better than I do.

Lords of Creation

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ah yes, thank you.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
[jay rlm voice] THEIR HOT RHINOCEROUS BODIES

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The frog guy knows what he's doing

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kestral posted:

Oh my loving god the crab
I use him as my avatar on Discord, lol

I still have my copy of Lords of Creation. It's something else lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

It's one of the strangest goddamn games ever.

The three linked campaign modules made it even weirder.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I follow a bunch of twitter artists who draw anime girls guns, who in turn retweet other artists who draw anime girls with guns, and use this to keep track of who has commissions open.

Note: this may not work if you're not commissioning anime girls with guns.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

theironjef posted:

Huh, I didn't know the Kuo Toa god Blibdoolpoolp had a brother

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dwarf74 posted:

I use him as my avatar on Discord, lol

Could you :justpost: about it? I remember glancing at it years ago and thinking it was an interesting oddity but can't remember the details

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sebmojo posted:

Could you :justpost: about it? I remember glancing at it years ago and thinking it was an interesting oddity but can't remember the details
So. It's poo poo, we can start there. It's supposedly a mishmash fantasy/sci-fi game.

You start out as basically humans. You have pathetic powers. Leveling takes forever and you get progressively less lovely powers over time.

You're basically starting demigods but it's from before anyone knew how game design worked outside of "we'll make it kind of like D&D".

The second adventure, OMEGAKRON, takes place in post-apocalyptic Akron, OH.

I can go deeper but there's gotta be an F&F by now. Also the System Mastery episode does a real nice job.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

theironjef posted:

lmao

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

The second adventure, OMEGAKRON, takes place in post-apocalyptic Akron, OH.

How could you tell?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Asterite34 posted:

How could you tell?
IIRC it's the giant robots that are outside of the shuttered factories, rather than inside of them.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you were putting together a sort of RPG charcuterie plate for people who have only ever played D&D, and you wanted to provide a sampler for the modern landscape of the hobby, what would you put on it?

For context, I recently completed a seven-year-long 5e campaign which was the first roleplaying experience for a bunch of kids who are now all late teens and young adults. We've talked for years about wanting to try a bunch of different games after this campaign ends, and now that the time has come, I’m putting together a shortlist. We'll probably do a few months’ worth of stuff in this vein, one to four sessions per game at about four hours each, with the "con game" expectation that not every story we start will see a conclusion.

At the moment, my shortlist is something like:

Apocalypse World 2e. It's the foundational game of the modern era of RPG design. Nothing else comes close to being as influential.

Lancer. This is what a game built around good tactical combat looks like, and it carries on the genetic lineage of 4e – which is not a game I care for, tbh, but it’s worth seeing what something like that looks like.

The King is Dead or Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands. GMless, hyper-focused, with a structure of play wildly divergent from the norm.

Tales from the Loop. An investigative game is a must for this project, but it needs an accessible hook. For adults I’d probably go with Night’s Black Agents or Delta Green, but Stranger Things is ridiculously popular with this crowd, so TftL fills this role well.

Other possibilities: Agon 2e, Torchbearer.

I’d include Blades in the Dark on this list as well, but we’re already settled on that being the next campaign-length thing we do; likewise Dread and Starforged, which they’ve had brief experience with, and The Quiet Year which we’re currently playing. Meg Baker’s 1001 Nights would also be an auto-include if we were playing in person, but since that’s not an option and it loses so much atmosphere when played on a VTT, I’ve reluctantly pulled that one from the list too. Other honorable mentions lost to the necessity of a VTT: Ten Candles, Polaris, and Sleepaway.

The intent isn't just to showcase a bunch of my favorite games, but rather to undo a mistake I made years ago of locking this group into 5e, and not giving them enough exposure to the rest of the art form before Critical Role took over their brains. It is physically painful to see the astonishing, "you could publish this and I'd buy it in a heartbeat" creativity coming out of some of these kids, and watching them struggle with having a mental model that begins and ends with a d20.

With all that in mind, what else should I consider putting in here to showcase meaningfully different facets of the hobby, that you can get a decent idea of in 1-4 short sessions, with five players?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

You might try out Cavaliers of Mars or John Carter of Mars, both pretty different but with similar vibes of crazy pulp planetary romance fun. They're also both pretty light games, so they're fairly easy to make work for shorter/one-off games.

In that same vein, you could demo Conan (if you can get a copy) and/or Star Trek Adventures, to show off how a game can be pretty structured and relatively complex, like D&D, but nevertheless quite different in how it does its thing and accomplishes its goals.

The above suggestions become stronger or weaker recommendations depending on the kids' personal interests in the original properties the games are based on.

You might dabble a little with Kevin Crawford/Sine Nomine games, to show them what really light, old school-ish D&D rules can do.

The One Ring is extremely great at what it's doing, and if it's doing something they would like they would love it, but it really hinges on that "if."

I haven't yet had a chance to actually play Savage Worlds Rifts, but it seems like goofy good fun. Might be a good choice if you want to just go gonzo with wild poo poo in one of the most enduring kitchen-sink settings but now in a rule set that doesn't constantly poo poo itself.

Maybe take a look at Golden Sky Stories, Ryuutama or Monster Care Squad to get away from Primary Mission: Violence games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Call of Cthulhu, a grant howit one pager like nice Marines, traveller (incl character creation), 13th age

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If you and/or your group like Star Wars the FFG Star Wars system was very cool, I had a ton of fun with it back when I played/ran it and I think about running it again every once in a while.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
13th age has too much dnd cruft to warrant inclusion here. i don't think anything that has six ability scores, a fighter, wizard, and thief is going to encourage them to break out of that mindset.

I think the list is missing examples from japanese trpgs, which are generally very comfortable with episodic play and leaving things open. double cross? shinobigami? dracurouge?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know - I actually went through this some years back when I won a fullbody commission via a raffle on Flight Rising of all things. I got my OC drawn and it's accurate to the description but otherwise completely wrong. :sigh:

I have since commissioned friend art and some Transformers fanart and been better about communicating what I want / tempering my expectations.

Or just going full yolo and saying "I want a picture of Megatron holding a duck" and accepting whatever comes from that

Here's s couple of things to do.

Send them pictures that are very much like what you're looking for, either overall or in one specific way. That can range from "Here's Las Meninas but I want you to draw Vasquez as a gnome" to "I really like this pattern on the third character's cuff links, please do something similar for my character's shield emblem."

If you have a specific composition in mind, send them whatever stick figure doodle or Lego arrangement you can cobble together. It doesn't matter how bad of an artist or photographer you are, any kind of reference is a huge help.

Give brief descriptions of what you want and stick to relevant details.

If you're paying for anything more than a sketch, ask the artist to quote you a price that includes a sketch and at least one major revision. Pay a little more so you get to give active feedback at a stage where you can make changes instead of getting stuck with something you don't want. Also let the artist know they can cover the sketch with watermarks if they'd feel more comfortable, so they don't think you're going to short them and run off with just the sketch.

If anybody has any other questions about how to work with freelance artists, please, please ask instead of using an art theft bot.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Kestral posted:

If you were putting together a sort of RPG charcuterie plate for people who have only ever played D&D, and you wanted to provide a sampler for the modern landscape of the hobby, what would you put on it?

I'd definitely throw a funnel in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

With all that in mind, what else should I consider putting in here to showcase meaningfully different facets of the hobby, that you can get a decent idea of in 1-4 short sessions, with five players?

A couple of people have suggested specific games that fit this: you definitely need a rules light action game in there. Back in the day Feng Shui was the choice. Savage Worlds might be OK. Outgunned is the current hotness and moves pretty quickly. FIST is pared down and excellent. Lots of good choices, pick any of them.