Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

muscles like this! posted:

I finished my watch through of Adventure Time and while the finale is still good it feels kind of rushed.

It is and was but it's still really nice, like even though they rushed it I still feel like it was a nice sendoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Finished Scavenger's Reign and thought it was excellent. But one gripe I have is how casual all the humans act around all the creepy alien stuff. Right off the bat they seem to have some idea of to use the environment for survival. Maybe humans already have some knowledge of the planet or being stranded on bizarre alien worlds is normal? In any case, I felt like it diminished the sense awe and terror.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I figured they'd been there for awhile and also yeah there's some sort of standard protocol for adapting to life on weirdo planets. To me it just pushed the yardstick for them getting scared slightly further I guess? Like if they're fine with the stuff we see in the first couple episodes then when they start getting freaked out, then you know it's getting real.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Even considering they'd been there a while, how do you figure out putting an alien squid on your face will act as a gas mask? I'd be scared to touch the freaking ground let alone sticking alien tentacles up my nose!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FacelessVoid posted:

Even considering they'd been there a while, how do you figure out putting an alien squid on your face will act as a gas mask? I'd be scared to touch the freaking ground let alone sticking alien tentacles up my nose!

We see in Ozzie's subplot that the survivors have tech that can determine whether animal / vegetable matter is harmful to humans, so I assume Ursula also had access to similar technology and was using that to determine information about the various creatures before the batteries completely ran dry (which we see happen in episode one).

It's ultimately not that important though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FacelessVoid posted:

I said this earlier but there's loads of bits about how the planet has been explored before
Eg: the moon was "abandoned" they say

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah the system was explored but the star causes too much trouble for business. Plus it's a space people in a space faring civilization so I was okay with assuming some basic competence with figuring some stuff out. It let's us get to the adventure bits right away too

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It is true that a layer of mysticism is removed once they start opening the world with other scavengers, but it's all in service of a greater narrative and it works for me. I don't need or want the series to be just constant alien exploration.

That little dude kinda jumped the shark with the bizarre alien stuff.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also, they show the example of that one guy who wakes up later and doesn't seem to have the same kind of training or field time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's also a line thrown out there that Ursula is very intuitive with regards to the stuff on the planet. Also, of the main cast, she's the only one who seemed to have a background in biology as some kind of botanist.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Onto ep 7 of Blue Eye Samurai. It's very good, one of the most engaging I've seen in this genre so far.

Two things are bothering me though - one, occasional bad soundtrack choices which take me out of the scene. Either go with period music or recent music, mixing just feels tacky.

Other thing is, the sheer amount of times I've had to suspend disbelief that Mizu didn't die in some insane situation. They go to this well too often. Most recently in climbing up a vertical wall with a grown man on her back using her fingertips while severely weakened already. But every fight goes to the limit in this way. It does that thing where sometimes the stakes will be realistic and trade on that tension, and then sometimes Mizu just pulls out superhero moves nobody could do (usually while gut stabbed). So again it's like, pick a lane.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Most of her power comes from scaling HP buffs that make her way stronger the lower health she has.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The John Wick buff.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i agree with the former point, the modern music out of nowhere felt bad to me

the latter, that's just anime babey

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

roomtone posted:

Onto ep 7 of Blue Eye Samurai. It's very good, one of the most engaging I've seen in this genre so far.

Two things are bothering me though - one, occasional bad soundtrack choices which take me out of the scene. Either go with period music or recent music, mixing just feels tacky.

Other thing is, the sheer amount of times I've had to suspend disbelief that Mizu didn't die in some insane situation. They go to this well too often. Most recently in climbing up a vertical wall with a grown man on her back using her fingertips while severely weakened already. But every fight goes to the limit in this way. It does that thing where sometimes the stakes will be realistic and trade on that tension, and then sometimes Mizu just pulls out superhero moves nobody could do (usually while gut stabbed). So again it's like, pick a lane.

I feel like that's an intentional thing with Mizu taking exceedingly unlikely amounts of punishment that don't slow her down nearly as much as one might expect. She's edging into the realm of the supernatural as an actual, literal onryo, capable of weathering impossible odds to cause impossible amounts of carnage and mayhem because she's Just That Hateful. Kind of like how Fowler is halfway to being Literally Satan.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
One thing I find kind of interesting that western made stuff about samurai seem to go back to is how using guns is dishonorable and samurai don’t use them. But the Japanese had guns from like the 1500s from the Portuguese and hella used them in the Sengoku period? If getting killed with a gun was some great shame then there were a shitload of disgraced samurai

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr.Radical posted:

One thing I find kind of interesting that western made stuff about samurai seem to go back to is how using guns is dishonorable and samurai don’t use them. But the Japanese had guns from like the 1500s from the Portuguese and hella used them in the Sengoku period? If getting killed with a gun was some great shame then there were a shitload of disgraced samurai

Someones buying those guns!

Like that guy who gets owned in episode 1

Perhaps they are trading women for guns. Honestly BES makes it seem like women were the actual currency of feudal Japan

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Finished Blue eye Samurai

I wasn't expecting it to have an non-ending, thought this was going to be a one off series. So, the ending felt pretty weak to me. I don't like the idea of a season of Mizu in London hunting these guys, it feels out of left field and purely for the sake of extending the story. No end to the primary conflict, internal or external, for Mizu. The idea of Mizu hunting around London also just sounds too silly to me, too irrelevant.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mizu wants to kill three white guys. two of them are in london. seems relevant to me.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I thought it was clear by the end of episode 4 that there was not enough time left in the season to even get to know the other 2 white guys, let alone kill them

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

For anyone needing something to watch, Merry Little Batman is real fun and an interesting take on Bats and co. Also the fellow they tapped for the Joker is on Always Sunny if you care about that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i agree with the former point, the modern music out of nowhere felt bad to me

Same. Battle Without Honor Or Humanity took me way, way outta there. Though I kinda liked the use of For Whom The Bell Tolls during the giant fight? Maybe half because we're already in hallucination mode and half because that whole sequence is the epitome of a drat metal album.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Just finished watching Blue Eye Samurai myself. I think this might actually be the best thing I've watched all year. Absolutely gorgeous animation, amazingly choreographed fights, brilliant narration. Found myself disappointed by two things: all the other characters acting like Mizu not murdering the random guards sent for Akemi was a completely irredeemable act. Not even considering it a mitigating factor that she just fought an entire army and could barely stand.

And, in the ending, the fact that Fowler survived the season. I think if you go that far to make your villain unsympathetic, you need a really good reason not to have the catharsis of finishing him. In episode 6, they had that reason - to make it that much more important when Mizu saved Taigen. In episode eight, they didn't. It just feels really unbelievable that Mizu wouldn't say "thanks for the names, die now". Maybe if Fowler had led with "they're not in Japan anymore".

But, overall: yeah, that was fantastic. Favourite scene: easily Mizu vs. her husband.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Megera posted:

I thought it was clear by the end of episode 4 that there was not enough time left in the season to even get to know the other 2 white guys, let alone kill them

blue eye samurai:

Yeah, it was pretty much, but I was taking this as because in the end, she wouldn't go after the other two. Her character development was all pointing towards that, with her deepening relationships with Ringo, Taigen and Akemi. She was having a lot of conflict about the revenge mission internally, and even decided to delay when saving Taigen.

It just seems like the story will only end up in the same place once she's killed them all, with her realising oh well, revenge didn't make me happy after all, this whole vendetta matters less than the people I now care about, etc - but now that resolution has been delayed to work on another two boss fights.

How do you raise the stakes from Fowler almost taking over Japan, anyway? The guy is joyfully pure evil, you pretty much can't be any more of a villain. It all felt like the writers decided they wanted to do a season 2 midway through the final episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The thing about the ending is that Mizu going to London is necessary for both the positive and negative outcomes of her character arc. She's literally a child of two worlds, and that means she has to visit the other place she came from in order to understand who she is and what that means. It's not just a quest for revenge, but a quest for understanding. That's why she had to spare Fowler - he offers answers to questions that have haunted her for her entire life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they want to spend more time playing up the "outcast in society" angle, maybe the only more volatile mix than a blue-eyed female samurai in feudal Japan is a blue-eyed Asian woman in Cromwell-era Puritan Britain.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

roomtone posted:

blue eye samurai:

The guy is joyfully pure evil, you pretty much can't be any more of a villain.

Oh that's super easy OP. Our big red boy is Irish. The others are Br*tish, much much much worse.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
True. And for all his wealth, Fowler is still going to be considered subhuman in Britain. My big hope is that they avoid trying to redeem him in any way because I don't know how many dead babies it takes to be irredeemable, but dude has that many.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

True. And for all his wealth, Fowler is still going to be considered subhuman in Britain. My big hope is that they avoid trying to redeem him in any way because I don't know how many dead babies it takes to be irredeemable, but dude has that many.

I could easily see Mizu's reaction to Fowler's dehumanization by white people being "I don't give a poo poo." I think the best you can get from Fowler is just "guy who you keep around because he's just too much fun to ditch without ever actually redeeming him" ala Captain Barbosa from the good Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

nine-gear crow posted:

I could easily see Mizu's reaction to Fowler's dehumanization by white people being "I don't give a poo poo." I think the best you can get from Fowler is just "guy who you keep around because he's just too much fun to ditch without ever actually redeeming him" ala Captain Barbosa from the good Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Hell yeah, this would be chill.
I genuinely enjoy Fowler as a character.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Honestly it kinda won't make sense for him to stick around that long imo. He's used to living relatively well and almost attained exactly what he was working toward for years only to be stopped by Mizu, there's absolutely no way he wouldn't try and kill her the second he gets the chance and if they write it so he doesn't that won't ring true imo so they should just have her kill him relatively early in a hypothetical second season as soon as he's done the bare minimum of usefulness to her. If she doesn't then it'll kinda make her seem way too stupid. I guess she could like, hamstring him or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't know. His story arc seems to be mostly about staving off unending boredom and he seems to find her antics highly entertaining.
If he has a guaranteed path to get rid off her, he will probably take it, but he will probably hesitate before committing to a half-baked attempt. Part of that is that he really wants to see where all of this is going.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't know. His story arc seems to be mostly about staving off unending boredom and he seems to find her antics highly entertaining.
If he has a guaranteed path to get rid off her, he will probably take it, but he will probably hesitate before committing to a half-baked attempt. Part of that is that he really wants to see where all of this is going.

I could see him hanging on until Skeffington and Routley are dead and THEN trying to kill her because it would mean that all the loose ends of his past are completely tied up and otherwise indulging her existence until then, again for the sake of entertainment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think a major factor to him staying around is that Mizu abso-loving-lutely does not speak English and he's one of the extremely few people who could actually be a translator for her. Which is also why she can't just buzzsaw him and take her chances in London because the number of people in London at the time who can translate Japanese has to be vanishingly small and probably contains her targets.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If the show has this many posts with spoilers, maybe it deserves it's own thread?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2cmXcJJTI

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes someone please make a Blue Eye Samurai thread, both because I still haven’t finished it and to annoy that person who disliked when this thread was mostly people saying they enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes someone please make a Blue Eye Samurai thread, both because I still haven’t finished it and to annoy that person who disliked when this thread was mostly people saying they enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off
:hmmyes:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

gently caress yes, Season 2. I wonder if this was one of those “order two seasons from the jump” deals or if it had enough success to have the push for it organically. Given they didn’t really show anything new for the teaser I suspect the latter.

I could go either way on a separate thread. I don’t think there is enough discourse to warrant it but as someone that can’t stand Adventure Time talk (I swear you all are just making poo poo up half the time, it’s drat near gibberish) I totally understand the request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think if it was the fake two seasons thing they would have said something sooner.