Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Entropic posted:

Might have been an opportunity attack if he left a harpy’s melee range?

If you want to cheese the Harpy fight, just have Shart pre-cast Silence over where the singing harpy shows up before you talk to Mirkon to trigger the fight.

This must have been it. It happened so quickly I thought it was a multi attack.

Ginette Reno posted:

In my game I had killed all of them except one and it was playing the song and Mirkon wandered near it and it just slashed him to pieces.

On honour mode so rip little guy. The 15 gold he had on his corpse was probably more useful than the password to the kid hideout lol

Yeah, I’m in honour mode too so he’s gone. Weird that there’s no way to let Mol know that the kid she sent down to the beach is dead though…not that she’d care I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the last paragraph of this imply that in the afterlife souls don't keep their memories?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Where’s a good place to find a Scroll of Haste in Act 1 so Gale can learn Haste? I hit level 5 but am 2 Tempest Cle / 3 Div Wiz so need a scroll.

I’ve been pickpocketing Arron and resting (without resources) and he hasn’t spawned one (got fireball and lightning bolt tho)

pickpocket is so good lol -- darkness + enhance ability: cat's grace + guidance, i just clear out vendors wholesale, even on honor mode

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

alcaras posted:

Where’s a good place to find a Scroll of Haste in Act 1 so Gale can learn Haste? I hit level 5 but am 2 Tempest Cle / 3 Div Wiz so need a scroll.

There are a certain number of spells that don't have a scroll, at all. Haste is one of them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

charms posted:

chug all the dubious potions in Ethel's lair immediately

lol do not do this without saving first and even then be careful, there are some that are permanently catastrophically debilitating like one that gives you a permanent +2 buff to STR but then adds a permanent -1 every time you long rest for the rest of the game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jack Trades posted:

There are a certain number of spells that don't have a scroll, at all. Haste is one of them.

What are you talking about, Haste scrolls absolutely exist. I know it's in Act 3, but Sorcerous Sundries carries them all the time.

I will grant that they are extremely rare, though, especially early game.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

alcaras posted:

I’ve been pickpocketing Arron and resting (without resources) and he hasn’t spawned one (got fireball and lightning bolt tho)

pickpocket is so good lol -- darkness + enhance ability: cat's grace + guidance, i just clear out vendors wholesale, even on honor mode

Get the smuggler's gloves from the guys hiding out in the basement and you don't even need Cat's Grace!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grack posted:

What are you talking about, Haste scrolls absolutely exist. I know it's in Act 3, but Sorcerous Sundries carries them all the time.

I will grant that they are extremely rare, though, especially early game.

My bad then, I don't remember seeing a Haste scroll.

There are several spells that absolutely don't have scrolls though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Most of the spells that don't have scrolls, I assume, are the ones that aren't available on the Wizard list in the first place (e.g. Cure Wounds, Searing/Thundering/etc Smite).

I'm pretty sure all the spells you can learn as a Wizard are available as a scroll. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw a Disintegrate scroll in Act 3 so it'd seem weird anything was off the table.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Warlock-specific spells like Hunger of Hadar don't have scrolls, as far as I know.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Reactions don’t get scrolls. :argh: I wanted counter spell. “Be a bard” too many drat charisma classes in the party already :colbert:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Black Noise posted:

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.

This mod is fantastic, especially on a Durge run.

You want all of those juicy camp events.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
What spells can only be learned by scroll? Been hanging onto one of everything to scribe and wouldn't mind being spoiled on that.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

unattended spaghetti posted:

What spells can only be learned by scroll? Been hanging onto one of everything to scribe and wouldn't mind being spoiled on that.

Summon Quasit has only 2 scrolls afaik

Knock and Arcane lock are pretty rare even with random loot generation.

Dethrone (2), Artistry of War, and another 5th level spell that lets wizards summon a celestial located in the Sorcerous Sundries vault

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
re: pickpocketing, if you're not aware there's a Smuggler's Ring that gives +2 to stealth and sleight and -1 charisma, you can get it very early in the game and it makes robbing Dammon and Arron in the grove very easy. It's slightly hidden, you can find it on a skeleton along the river near where you recruit Karlach.

I did the harpies on my Honour playthrough, I was wayyy overthinking that fight. They don't have that much HP. I had my team start on the cliff that overlooks the next, cast Feather Fall and had Lae'zel and Karlach jump over and murder the harpies. It's very doable at level 4.

I'm almost level 5 and running out of easier things to do, I've only done one "boss" fight so far (owlbears). The bosses have special abilities in Honour and otherwise it basically seems identical to Tactician..

Owlbears on Honour: the mother owlbear will summon a mate, and they both will berserk and take half physical damage at low HP or when a mate dies. They have a ton of HP and hit hard and it's hard to find enough non-physical damage to kill them quickly at low levels. I almost wiped, but I'd been spoiled on the unique boss mechanic being a second owlbear to fight.

I think I might work towards a Swords bard 5 + Oathbreaker paladin 7 build for blendering things with smite and flourish.

Swords bard really is a great PC pick. The one major downside of Swords bards is you're very limited in Bardic Inspiration charges, you get 4 charges at level 5 and 5 at 8, the maximum is five. I know there are the gloves that give you another charge but that's still only 6 charges. At level 5 they recharge on short rest which is great, but you still don't have a very deep pool for Flourishes in any one encounter. Is anyone aware of ways to regain Inspiration charges in combat, any spells or items?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Black Noise posted:

Summon Quasit has only 2 scrolls afaik

Knock and Arcane lock are pretty rare even with random loot generation.

Dethrone (2), Artistry of War, and another 5th level spell that lets wizards summon a celestial located in the Sorcerous Sundries vault

Awesome thank you.

I'm proud to say I found the smuggler ring by sheer accident thanks to area search on controller. Still can't believe I stumbled onto that drat thing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pellisworth posted:

Swords bard really is a great PC pick. The one major downside of Swords bards is you're very limited in Bardic Inspiration charges, you get 4 charges at level 5 and 5 at 8, the maximum is five. I know there are the gloves that give you another charge but that's still only 6 charges. At level 5 they recharge on short rest which is great, but you still don't have a very deep pool for Flourishes in any one encounter. Is anyone aware of ways to regain Inspiration charges in combat, any spells or items?

Not in combat, but if you still need more Bardic Inspiration charges there are the Boots of Brilliance, which you can find in the Gauntlet of Shar, after fighting Yurgir

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Entropic posted:

lol do not do this without saving first and even then be careful, there are some that are permanently catastrophically debilitating like one that gives you a permanent +2 buff to STR but then adds a permanent -1 every time you long rest for the rest of the game.
I can’t recall there being more than two good potions in that entire roster, and “good” was “does not cause me permanent, specific harm”.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Black Noise posted:

Kind of meta gamey but you really miss a lot of cutscenes due to them being locked behind long rests.
Quoting this for my distant future self.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Played this game for over 270 hours and took countless characters through Act 1, and this was the first time I ever bothered to assemble the frost staff in the Underdark or found those weird little murloc cultists. Insane!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Played this game for over 270 hours and took countless characters through Act 1, and this was the first time I ever bothered to assemble the frost staff in the Underdark or found those weird little murloc cultists. Insane!

I just did the staff too! I had never clicked on the item before

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I missed the kobolds in the monastery. I haven't ever heard Minthara speak. If I weren't a little gamer brain poisoned the vampire would be dead. I have no idea what variety of permutations exist for the grove. I delivered a package to the zhentarim with no funny business because I wandered into their hideout on accident and really didn't want any trouble. I've used about ten percent or less of the spells in the game. I've not played a monk, bard, warlock, or ranger at all. I didn't see most of the goblin camp interactions because I disguised myself as a drow. I saved the gnome from the windmill and this is the only time I save scummed. I also probably won't see any alternative to that one cause I can't bear the thought of what might happen to the poor little guy.

I really don't know why I feel the need to catalogue all this other than to say I love this game and will probably be playing it for five years lol.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It turns out that Cazador using gaseous form doesn't mean much when he's hit by three chain lightnings in one turn. I'm also extremely disappointed that Minthara has no reaction at all to Astarion going maximum vampire.

I also see that Freecast is still buggy as poo poo, but at least its buggy in a useful way outside of combat.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Does the last paragraph of this imply that in the afterlife souls don't keep their memories?

That's actually what happens. Petitioners (souls of the dead that have moved on to dwell in their respective afterlives in the Outer Planes) usually don't retain memories of their previous life and at best might simply express strong emotions for something or someone that was important to them in life. In some cases they might even find themselves 'remodeled' by whatever deity holds sway over their afterlife. Non-dwarven worshippers of a dwarven deity might end up getting turned into petitioners that look like the platonic ideal of a dwarf for example.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

exquisite tea posted:

I had a couple pieces of it and couldn’t figure out what its deal was, so I googled it to find the 3rd piece.

Turns out I yeeted that guy holding it into an endless abyss so the staff remained incomplete for me.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol ok so this is something I'm just gonna live with. On my honor run I decided to try something new and attack the druids when they were threatening the kid. This ends with a grove civil war, the kid dead, the druids dead and a ton of Tieflings dead. Not all of them so they are like oh man that was nuts but thanks for the help. But they did kill Dammon so Karlach's engine aint getting fixed. Oh well. It was a hell of a battle and gently caress the druids.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, Lae'zel broke my Honour Mode run when she sided with the Gith at the Creche.

gently caress you Lae'zel, next time I'm letting Shadowheart kill you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

grack posted:

Well, Lae'zel broke my Honour Mode run when she sided with the Gith at the Creche.

gently caress you Lae'zel, next time I'm letting Shadowheart kill you.

What do you mean ruined? Live in the world you created.

Speaking of honour mode, I tried fighting the owl bear again in my new run but I was doing clever poo poo like pre casting create water for lightning shenanigans but things just went haywire and she popped off her legendary action. I almost threw in the towel when all my dudes died but I remembered running away is a thing. I’d have just died in a non honour fight and tried again, but after rez’ing and resting I saw an outcome I’d never have seen otherwise in the cave. Very cool.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Did my first honour mode fight today. Fought the spider. Maybe I overprepared for it, or maybe it's because I'm level 4 (I often do this fight earlier on tactician but played it safer this time and hit level 4 first), but I kinda owned it. Party was me (Lock), Wyll (Lock), Shadowheart (life Cleric), and Gale (Transmutation Wizard). I noticed the new honour mode ability it received but it actually never got a chance to use that. I knocked it off its webs twice and then it teleported into my group with about 30-40 health left and I was able to kill it before its brood arrived.

Not sure if I got lucky but the spiderlings popped dash on their two turns and ran towards my party instead of teleporting into my group. That meant that I was able to dps the boss down before having to fight them and have to worry about triggering the new boss ability.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I just found the night orchid cave in the house of grief but I still can’t gift shadowheart a night orchid! I romanced her and everything. How do I get this stupid trophy?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

At this point the Steam achievement unlocker

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Did my first honour mode fight today. Fought the spider. Maybe I overprepared for it, or maybe it's because I'm level 4 (I often do this fight earlier on tactician but played it safer this time and hit level 4 first), but I kinda owned it. Party was me (Lock), Wyll (Lock), Shadowheart (life Cleric), and Gale (Transmutation Wizard). I noticed the new honour mode ability it received but it actually never got a chance to use that. I knocked it off its webs twice and then it teleported into my group with about 30-40 health left and I was able to kill it before its brood arrived.

Not sure if I got lucky but the spiderlings popped dash on their two turns and ran towards my party instead of teleporting into my group. That meant that I was able to dps the boss down before having to fight them and have to worry about triggering the new boss ability.
By level 4 it shouldn't be difficult if you're prepared for it.

Reflecting on my honor run, after the owlbear wipe due to catastrophic lack of preparation, the only other fight that actually gave me difficulty was the solo fight as Durge vs Orin which also came down to me being underprepared since I didn't know it as well as the other boss fights in the game.

Every other boss fight, I was extremely prepared and willing to utilize any tool I had available to completely incapacitate the boss to the point I didn't even see the legendary action for half of them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

There are like 2 or 3; but you’ll find them in the sorcerous sundries vault in act 3. Only one of them is worth using, and that’s art of war, which is basically magic missile, except each missile does 50 damage.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, it looks like this patch broke a bunch of chests. You "can't reach this". no matter how close you get, or if you're standing directly on top of it. It looks like this bug happened in early access too, and sometimes trying to throw/move the chest made it exist again but now they patched that, so these chests just LOOK like they exist.

I wanted that bard item near Alfira too, I've never actually played a bard at low levels so I wanted to see if it was useful, but the chest is just permanently out of reach forever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I missed the kobolds in the monastery. I haven't ever heard Minthara speak. If I weren't a little gamer brain poisoned the vampire would be dead. I have no idea what variety of permutations exist for the grove. I delivered a package to the zhentarim with no funny business because I wandered into their hideout on accident and really didn't want any trouble. I've used about ten percent or less of the spells in the game. I've not played a monk, bard, warlock, or ranger at all. I didn't see most of the goblin camp interactions because I disguised myself as a drow. I saved the gnome from the windmill and this is the only time I save scummed. I also probably won't see any alternative to that one cause I can't bear the thought of what might happen to the poor little guy.

I really don't know why I feel the need to catalogue all this other than to say I love this game and will probably be playing it for five years lol.

It rules op, the game is so loving reactive you will probably still be finding new poo poo. Multiple playthroughs actually feel distinct and the insane combination of things that lead to unique dialogue options means you're usually not at any sort of loss of ability to role play a pretty specific character. And then there's all the origin characters you can play as and all the unique poo poo you can see with them as the player character.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Moose posted:

So, it looks like this patch broke a bunch of chests. You "can't reach this". no matter how close you get, or if you're standing directly on top of it. It looks like this bug happened in early access too, and sometimes trying to throw/move the chest made it exist again but now they patched that, so these chests just LOOK like they exist.

I wanted that bard item near Alfira too, I've never actually played a bard at low levels so I wanted to see if it was useful, but the chest is just permanently out of reach forever.

I just opened this chest yesterday so I don’t think it’s universal at least. Have you tried saving and reloading? I couldn’t interact with Astarion a couple of times and each time a reload fixed it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

By level 4 it shouldn't be difficult if you're prepared for it.

Reflecting on my honor run, after the owlbear wipe due to catastrophic lack of preparation, the only other fight that actually gave me difficulty was the solo fight as Durge vs Orin which also came down to me being underprepared since I didn't know it as well as the other boss fights in the game.

Every other boss fight, I was extremely prepared and willing to utilize any tool I had available to completely incapacitate the boss to the point I didn't even see the legendary action for half of them.

I know you can continue if you wipe on honour mode, but do bosses still retain honour mode stuff if you party wipe? Or does it revert to tactician or something?

I just did the owlbear fight as well, and I was a little lazy and didn't rest beforehand so I wasn't at full power spell-wise. I did manage to beat it but took a beating. Was nastier than I was expecting.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Alright, here's a question since I haven't bothered with deeper modding and I want to poke at the mods a bit: is there a way to get NativeModLoader (and by extension WASD Movement/Native Camera Tweaks) to play nice with the other mods? Some of these don't seem to want to play nice with Vortex (in particular Camp Event Notifications and Party Limit Begone) but NativeModLoader doesn't play nice with the BG3 Mod Manager. I assume someone has all those loaded up in a way that makes sense, walk me through it.

Can I just manually install the NativeModLoader mods and then do the rest through BG3 Mod Manager and it won't explode?

Monathin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 11, 2023

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Monathin posted:

Alright, here's a question since I haven't bothered with deeper modding and I want to poke at the mods a bit: is there a way to get NativeModLoader (and by extension WASD Movement/Native Camera Tweaks) to play nice with the other mods? Some of these don't seem to want to play nice with Vortex (in particular Camp Event Notifications and Party Limit Begone) but NativeModLoader doesn't play nice with the BG3 Mod Manager. I assume someone has all those loaded up in a way that makes sense, walk me through it.

Can I just manually install the NativeModLoader mods and then do the rest through BG3 Mod Manager and it won't explode?

Specifically for the NativeMods and the others mentioned above, it been a awhile, but I'm using all of them together I'm pretty sure just they should just work as installed. Just follow the instructions on the mad pages and it should just fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Monathin posted:

Yes I use BG3MM and just do a manual install for Native Mod Loader. I’d also join the Larian discord they have a #bg3modsupport channel.