Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

netenyahu should probably be person of the year, but in a similar ironic way that hitler also was

Knowing the NY Times, I don't think that Hitler POTY was ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BadOptics posted:

Knowing the NY Times, I don't think that Hitler POTY was ironic.

Isn't Person of the Year Time magazine? :thunk:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

Isn't Person of the Year Time magazine? :thunk:

Lol, correct on which magazine it was (brain fart), but I still stand by it was likely not ironic.

drat, he stole POTY from this guy:

quote:

If Francisco Franco had won the Spanish Civil War after his great spring drive, he might well have been Man-of-the-Year timber. But victory still eluded the Generalissimo and war weariness and disaffection on the Rightist side made his future precarious.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Dec 10, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Time's selection of Hitler as man of the year in 1938 was absolutely not praising or honoring him. They called him an enemy of the freedom loving world who's actions "left civilized men and women aghast."

I mean it was probably a controversial pick to sell magazines, but the reasoning he was influential though negatively so and it wasn't a paean by any means. IDK if you'd call that "ironic" but it wasn't meant to be an honor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

netenyahu should probably be person of the year, but in a similar ironic way that hitler also was

the Hitler one wasn’t ironic at the time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hitler didnt become ironic until the 21st century

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Time's selection of Hitler as man of the year in 1938 was absolutely not praising or honoring him. They called him an enemy of the freedom loving world who's actions "left civilized men and women aghast."

that is what liberals say about people they like

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

that is what liberals say about people they like

I mean to be fair I wouldn't bet against finding a lot of positive coverage pre-38 in the same magazine. Liberals love to do PR for tyrants until the state department tells them to flip the toggle to enemy epithets on this one.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

the gently caress is up with Finland? They're like an tiny angry dog. Just shut the gently caress up for a second.

Sisu!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean it was probably a controversial pick to sell magazines, but the reasoning he was influential though negatively so and it wasn't a paean by any means. IDK if you'd call that "ironic" but it wasn't meant to be an honor.

Given that the US sits atop a world-spanning empire and so favors stasis, any figure who truly defines the headlines for the year will be a villain from the perspective of the US almost by definition

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China needs to go after anti-communist triads overseas. They've set up shop in many western publications.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

at least a small part of why the British military is a shambles today is because there's still an old boys aristocracy club at the top of the hierarchy that runs everything like a business and is best friends with all the tory paedophiles

Our military seems to draw its officers from a very small number of upper-middle class families where serving in the forces is considered practically a hereditary duty. I've known a couple of people like this and both of them were posh, rather eccentric and utterly divorced from mainstream British society. In the event of some popular uprising ever taking place in the UK, these'll be the guys organising the death squads to terrorise the plebs back into their proper place.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

hitler didnt become ironic until the 21st century

tristeham has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Dec 10, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pistol_Pete posted:

Our military seems to draw its officers from a very small number of upper-middle class families where serving in the forces is considered a hereditary duty. I've known a couple of people like this and both of them were posh, rather eccentric and utterly divorced from mainstream British society.

Yes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's common to sort of sneer at commisar militaries and political schooling etc., but keeping the armed forces politically reliable is genuinely a big deal and non-trivial (as we can see in ukraine right now, in fact!). western militaries have tried to solve the problem either by drawing their officers from social elites who have a naturally vested interest in the social order or by just making them all basically mercenaries and assuming that we'll never find ourselves in a situation where that's a problem, and revolutionary armies have tended to use the military as a major lane of upward social mobility for ambitious and clever people from inauspicious backgrounds. having to constantly negotiate with a semi-independent or politically active military is a huge drag on the political economy of a country, as can be seen in e.g. egypt and much of latin america until quite recently

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As Tankbuster will tell you, expanding the profession of arms to New Men poses risks unless the military is a machine for the integration of their group into society and promotion of their interests.

In Canada, commissioning French Canadian officers was made possible after the 1970’s because Dextrase and others showed they were politically reliable and anti-seperatist. Since then, they made up a huge share of the Army, but they home is in Canada, not Quebec.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
In regards to the NS pipeline, it is simple. If it were not blown up or some other act of god disabled it, Gazprom/Russia would still be required to pay Germany and any other EU states they had deals with for failing to provide what was stated in their contracts. Gazprom has by far benefited the most with the pipeline being blown up.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I think the irony is that Russia needs not only war but continually slow-moving wars of attrition indefinitely, never-ending showers of shells forever.

If anything Russia is probably better the Western military industrial complex comes back a bit just for an excuse to build even more armaments to pick even more fights.

At the end of the day even a nightmarish WW1-forever scenario may actually be better than neoliberalism.

America: "We will give Russia its own Vietnam, its own Iraq, a never-ending quagmire!"
*the monkey's paw curls*

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Phigs posted:

Just started reading some Engels because of our discussion of materialism and spirituality and whatnot and I have to say why the gently caress do people send newbies to Marx? Engels is so much more spirited and inspiring and talks exactly the kind of poo poo I was lamenting I don't hear more often out of communists.

Engels was Marx’s editor and main intellectual counterpart. Whenever he felt the man needed to have a fire lit up his rear end (because Karl was perfectly able to have a deluge of righteous fury to complement a point) he would troll him to get going lol

And that was due to a deep awareness of how much more he was able to develop and advance theory. Volumes two and three of Capital are great works of edition because Engels was no intellectual slouch, but without Marx to wrap up, there was no way to not have expressive gaps

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

Looks like the thing that makes the most economic sense for Ukraine is to just get as much of itself integrated into Russia as possible

The best choice would be for Kiev oblast to be "Ukraine" and thus burdened alone with all the completely unrecoverable loans. The rest can be spun off and join whatever sovereign neighbours want them.

The general idea is something similar to phoenixing an insolvent fly by night construction company owned by a dodgy bloke with a history of failed directorships.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

DancingShade posted:

The best choice would be for Kiev oblast to be "Ukraine" and thus burdened alone with all the completely unrecoverable loans. The rest can be spun off and join whatever sovereign neighbours want them.

The general idea is something similar to phoenixing an insolvent fly by night construction company owned by a dodgy bloke with a history of failed directorships.

Clearly you make this Lviv, Kiev is too productive to want to leave behind and Lviv would join Poland if left to fend for itself. That keeps things profitable for you and creates a poison pill for Poland.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1733768479323377978

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

coach red pill

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1733995227592138758

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

The ongoing adventures of an incredible shithead.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

community note: it’s actually good when the secret services disappear people lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

look who's coping now

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BadOptics posted:

FF shaking his head that the British Army has fallen so far as to not have their own pedophiles like in the days of yore.

lmbo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Community note: if you stop calling journalists, journalists, extrajudicial killing of journalists is fine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BadOptics posted:

FF shaking his head that the British Army has fallen so far as to not have their own pedophiles like in the days of yore.

quite so. That the British military is full of pedos is merely conjecture where it's now simply accepted that it's part of getting into and graduating from Eton

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Elon, my people are yearning to have more content from Coach Red Pill.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

Old Etonians

Luckily I have an handy reference guide in my office

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

old pedophilians

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why are the artillery the only ones that aren't just a straight line?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Old oxbridgeshire queen's own royal pedophilians hussar reserve regiment

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Why are the artillery the only ones that aren't just a straight line?

Yes. So when you see one at the Army Ball or whatever, Social Club, job interview, (civilian) employment, you always know your fellows.

Just like school ties, Old Boys look out for one another.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Dec 11, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Old oxbridgeshire queen's own royal pedophilians hussar reserve regiment

Not far off: The Hampshire Carabiniers, The Loyal Suffolk Hussars, The Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry, The Lanarkshire Yeomanry, The Sherwood Rangers, The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, The Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars, The Westmoreland & Cumberland Hussars, The Lothian & Berwick Yeomanry, The East Kent Mounted Rifles, The Royal Berkshire Yeomanry, The Staffordshire Yeomanry.

We like to have fun here, but all kidding aside, The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada, The Princess Louise Fusiliers, and The Queen's York Rangers had to suspend toasts to their Colonel-in-Chief, including for their Christmas Dinner.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Dec 11, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Frosted Flake posted:

Luckily I have an handy reference guide in my office

Why do you have a cigarette card collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mr Hootington posted:

Why do you have a cigarette card collection?

MTG seemed too expensive a hobby